Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Onion: Disney CEO Figures They've Built Up Enough Goodwill To Do A Real Sexist One

Like This Thread!
    Great article. Actually there's a very real, very cutting point about merchandise in here.

Disney CEO Figures They've Built Up Enough Goodwill to do a Real Sexist One

BURBANK, CA - Citing a groundswell of praise for such stereotype-bucking princess films as Frozen, Brave, and Tangled, Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger said Thursday his company has probably accumulated enough goodwill to make its next animated feature a real sexist one.

Though still unsure whether the forthcoming fairy-tale adventure would center on a helpless Dutch peasant who splits her time between domestic duties and pining for a rich man, a vain young princess who constantly preens in front of any reflective surface, or a curvaceous, long-lashed horse who inexplicably has rouged cheeks and eyeshadow, top Disney officials agreed they are well positioned to sneak in an overly chauvinistic film that exploits antiquated female stereotypes for all they’re worth.

“We’ve had a pretty solid run of strong, independent heroines, so I think we’ve racked up enough cred to get back to what we do best and make a regular old damsel-in-distress picture with some real heavy themes about purity,” said Iger, surmising that after the studio’s recent streak of well-rounded female protagonists, audiences would surely let a “real dumb one” slide. “At this point, I think we’ll be fine if we slip in a movie with some blond girl who always combs her hair, sings sad songs about the man she’s longing for, and otherwise doesn’t say much. Or maybe she’s a foolish, overly emotional robin who is constantly patted on the head and kept in line by her knowing father.”

“Either way, she’ll only be able to titter coyly, weep, or fret,” Iger continued. “And she’ll definitely completely alter who she is to win the heart of her love interest. I’d say we can probably get away with that.”

(Head over to the Onion to read the rest)
    Last edited by Ed Liu; 04-25-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Clipping excerpt; head over to the Onion to read the rest.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You do realize that The Onion is a parody news site, right?...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

ILDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
    There is always some truth to good parody.

Silverstar is offline Pac It Up!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    Obviously he does. But part of what makes it funny how close to home it rings.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    yeah, it does hit rather close to home with some instances of merchandising

especially Mulan and Brave