Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ILDC is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    Either way, I love to see their version of the Looney Tunes show.
    Aren't the Rudish shorts doing what The Looney Tunes Show was meant to do, i.e. making a bunch of classic characters cool and relevant for the older kids?

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILDC View Post
    Aren't the Rudish shorts doing what The Looney Tunes Show was meant to do, i.e. making a bunch of classic characters cool and relevant for the older kids?
    I thought the Looney Tunes Show is suppose to make more relevent for adults like Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law did with Hanna Barbera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    I thought the Looney Tunes Show is suppose to make more relevent for adults like Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law did with Hanna Barbera.
    But those were adult-oriented parody depictions; The Looney Tunes Show is meant to be more "legit" and intended for general audiences.

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    I'm looking at it from the critical mass standpoint. Mickey and Friends are clearly aimed at the fickle preschool market or the animation nerd market with the two directions. Epic Mickey 2 flopped, so the gaming market (for Mickey) died there (we'll see if the Castle of Illusion remake can fix that) and in the popular conscious, Mickey is a brand for the 5 and under set vs being a widespread (or at least older demographic) thing like whatever self-centered, "I must be famous because I am special and awesome," act Disney is focusing all their energy on at the moment.
    Those fickle preschoolers have been watching Mickey since 2006 and show no signs of stopping. Hannah Montana premiered the same year, but wrapped production three years ago. Don't need to tell you how much attention Disney has been paying Miley Cyrus of late. Exactly which audience is fickle, and which one is going to run through its stars sooner? Also, IMO, you're looking at the wrong thing when you're seeing Epic Mickey 2 flopped and they shuttered the studio. The fact that they made Epic Mickey and its sequel at all, and that they're continuing to use him as a video game lead for the Castle of Illusion remake says that Disney still thinks Mickey is a valuable enough property to put him into video games.

On top of that, Mickey and company still walk the parks and meet thousands of tourists globally (as opposed to, say, Kim Possible, who has finally been retired in the parks to be fully supplanted by Phineas & Ferb). Mickey is still used as the corporate icon in a variety of different ways -- you think anybody is unaware of whose ears those are in the Disney Channel network bug?

Disney may be pushing their teeny bopper star at the moment, but they've always done that, but I challenge you to show me evidence that any of them are being marketed to anybody outside the target demographic, or even to the extent Mickey Mouse is from the examples above. Did they ever try to put Hannah Montana or Suite Life or any other tweencom star lookalikes in the parks? (I'm legitimately asking -- I have no idea but I'd bet at least a nickel the answer is no.) I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that Disney pushing Miley Cyrus or Annette Funicello or Peter Driscoll or Selena Gomez or Hillary Duff or any other teen-star-of-the-moment had the slightest impact at all on them promoting Mickey Mouse. I'd also argue that the amount of effort Disney puts into marketing these kids actually demonstrates that they understand full well that their half-life in the public consciousness is short. It's not much more than maximizing investment -- they probably have about 4 years of real earning potential, tops, before they have to manufacture another one. The fact that they don't feel the need to push Mickey on us 24/7 would indicate to me that they have enough confidence that we all know who he is already.

Between the pre-school show, the video games, and the new animated shorts, I still don't understand why people seem to think Disney is ignoring Mickey in the current day.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

ToDandy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mickey is still a house hold name to even 5 year olds. So I'd say that it is pretty far from being irrelevant. As MrPine pointed out, they are working a bunch of new Mickey Mouse themed media, not to mention his recent prominence in the video game market with Epic Mickey and the Kingdom Hearts series.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing MORE of him. I'm really hoping that Mickey Mouse feature film gets off the ground. The last Disney "Classic" featuring the character was Fun and Fancy Free (if I remember right).

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't see how Mickey and his friends could become irrelevant or obscure at this point. Mickey Mouse is the mascot/icon of Disney in general. That alone guarantees that they won't be forgotten. There's also the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show, the new Mickey Mouse shorts, the Epic MickeY video games and a ton of merchandise featuring Mickey and his friends. While Disney may focus on their teen stars, Princesses or Tinkerbell a lot, these characters aren't in any danger of being forgotten anytime soon.

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToDandy View Post
    Mickey is still a house hold name to even 5 year olds. So I'd say that it is pretty far from being irrelevant. As MrPine pointed out, they are working a bunch of new Mickey Mouse themed media, not to mention his recent prominence in the video game market with Epic Mickey and the Kingdom Hearts series.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing MORE of him. I'm really hoping that Mickey Mouse feature film gets off the ground. The last Disney "Classic" featuring the character was Fun and Fancy Free (if I remember right).
    Even in Portugal, they messed up the translations of one of the episodes:

allstarcs is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disney will always look for revenue paths in licensing. They continually swing back and forth between new and classic. The result is that each new generation has a bit of the classics in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know it's unthinkable, but apparently Disney losing the copyright to Mickey Mouse could happen someday:

Why Disney Buys All the Premium Character Collections It Can Find (^DJI, DIS)

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it's more unthinkable that Disney could keep the copyright to Mickey Mouse forever. Copyrights are supposed to expire eventually, but it's been Mickey and a few other intellectual property holders who want to keep milking those cash cows instead of making something new and cool keeping them from expiring.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

darkdetective is online now Reporter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They can just sue anyone who tries to use him. No, they won't win, but they don't have to. Just drag it out long enough to make it financially unfeasable for the other side.
    My superhero webcomic, updated weekly. www.sparkthecomic.com!
    Check out the animated trailer here!

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    unless the court just dismisses the case

Den-Of-Earth is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No way in hell would they loose Mickey Mouse they are their icon for godsake! the new shorts are getting popular and so is the Castle of Illusions remake and Kingdom Hearts games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2