Quantcast
    Cartoon Ruler is offline I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Looking Back: Captain Flamingo

Like This Thread!
    This morning before I went to school, I looked up the internet about Jetix. Then I saw "Captain Flamingo (2008-2009)" on that page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...etix_in_the_US

Then I was like: "Hey, I remember that show! The name seems very similar and I know it was on YTV."

So there you have it. Captain Flamingo! Now if we only have this show on The Hub.

You are welcome to talk about this thread.

Goodbye The Hub, Hello Boomerang!

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Literally all I remember about it was the title. Was it by the same people as Atomic Betty?
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I only caught passing glimpses of Captain Flamingo when it was on, but based on what I saw of it, the show was basically like if someone made Nickelodeon's The Non-Adventures of Safety Queen skits into a weekly series.

The title character was a kid who fancied himself a superhero, although he had no powers (he used toys and props as weapons instead), and he never fought any actual crime, rather he would patrol the neighborhood helping kids with their various typical childhood crises.

It was a cute idea, but in retrospect I can see why it didn't last long; CF might have worked as filler between shows, but it was a 1-joke idea that likely would've gotten old quickly if it had gone on for longer than a season or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CartoonLover
    Now if we only have this show on The Hub.
    That's being optimistic. Captain Flamingo was a quickie (as in quickly gone and forgotten) series which barely made a dent in the public eye and as far as I know, didn't make a single toy. It didn't go beyond a single season here in the States, so its' episode count is low. What would be Hasbro's incentive to acquire the series?
    Last edited by Silverstar; 04-26-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This was a flawed series, but I proudly say that I liked it far more than Atomic Betty. Then again, I hated Atomic Betty when I first discovered it as a teenager (from mostly blind hatred I let be brought on by forums and review sites dictating my opinion), so that alone made this show a step up in comparison... A big enough one before I found better shows to watch, unfortunately.

Bottom line - I liked this show, but I am more than aware of why it failed - a dead-on-arrival concept, and the fact that it was just another show about some kid in school. However, even though thankfully there wasn't a lot of school-going scenes in this show, the feeling was still there.

Yeah, this was just an acquisition that was "there" to fill space. Nothing more, nothing less. But does that mean I enjoy this sjow any less? Of course not!

Being brutally honest, I just like Captain Flamingo more because the humor (most of the time) actually works, because as a show, Captain Flamingo (unlike what Atomic Betty unfortunately suffered from at worst) knows what it wants to be!

EDIT - I feel I should take back what mostly negative things I've said about Atomic Betty, namely because that was in the past - my hatred of said show before CF was blind hatred, rather than just me being honest and admitting that though Atomic Betty was quite flawed, I still liked it for trying to do something serious - even if things didn't work out all the way.
    Last edited by The ShopSoldier; 05-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d7z3tj2.png
    BEWARE PANDERING ALWAYS. It leads to fascism.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbro View Post
    That's being optimistic. Captain Flamingo was a quickie (as in quickly gone and forgotten) series which barely made a dent in the public eye and as far as I know, didn't make a single toy. It didn't go beyond a single season, so its' episode count is low. What would be Hasbro's incentive to acquire the series?
    Starbro, Atomic Betty was made by the same company as Captain Flamingo and it was pretty much forgotten, like CF. Atomic Betty and Captain Flamingo are somewhat related to each other, such as their animation. Also CF seems to be the "gender-swapped" version of Atomic Betty.

Anyways, I can already see CF airing on The Hub by the next year or so. Besides, since AB and CF are a brother-a-sister couple, they both can work out on a hour-long time slot, together.

Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CartoonLover View Post
    Starbro, Atomic Betty was made by the same company as Captain Flamingo and it was pretty much forgotten, like CF. Atomic Betty and Captain Flamingo are somewhat related to each other, such as their animation. Also CF seems to be the "gender-swapped" version of Atomic Betty.
    Not really. Captain Flamingo seemed to skew toward a somewhat younger audience than Atomic Betty, and beyond both shows being produced by Atomic Studios, there's really no correlation between the 2. The characters, plots, premise and execution were noticeably quite different from one another.

Anyways, I can already see CF airing on The Hub by the next year or so. Besides, since AB and CF are a brother-a-sister couple, they both can work out on a hour-long time slot, together.
    When did The Hub announce that they were bringing back Atomic Betty? That's still listed as a former Hub show the last I checked. Unless someone at Hasbro makes the announcement that AB is coming back officially, then that's nothing more than speculation.

AB got a run on The Hub because it was a fledgling network that needed shows, and people remembered AB plus it had garnered a small but loyal following over the years, but clearly the show's ratings didn't gel the way that Hasbro must've wanted, otherwise it would still be running on The Hub now. By contrast, most people have forgotten that Captain Flamingo ever even happened, those who knew about it in the first place. CF was not the equal to AB in terms of popularity, and if the more well-known show from Atomic Studios that had fans isn't being carried by The Hub anymore, why would Hasbro pick up the more obscure one that no one remembers, let alone both together? If you have to remind people that a show existed, then it wasn't popular.

I get that you liked Captain Flamingo, but the truth is that neither Hasbro nor anyone else is in a hurry to scoop it up. The show was an also-ran that'll likely never see the light of day again in the US. However, the show currently airs on the Canadian Nickelodeon, so there's that.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 04-26-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbro View Post
    I get that you liked Captain Flamingo, but the truth is that neither Hasbro nor anyone else is in a hurry to scoop it up. The show was an also-ran that'll likely never see the light of day again in the US. However, the show currently airs on the Canadian Nickelodeon, so there's that.
    Yes, I love Captain Flamingo, as you see on my avatar.

Well, if only we have the "Jetix" block back, Disney-ABC can put it on Disney XD, (that way I can watch CF) but alas Disney XD isn't interested in running the "Jetix" block.

Maybe Hasbro can't afford CF. Since Disney still has the show's rights, I wonder what they're going to do with it?

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sorry to say all this, but it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by CartoonLover View Post
    Maybe Hasbro can't afford CF. Since Disney still has the show's rights, I wonder what they're going to do with it?
    Unfortunately, they'll let it rot in the vaults like most of the Disney Afternoon stuff. Sad, but cold, hard, and true... And I say that with strong confidence mostly because it wasn't an original series, but an acquisiton.

Real shame, too (and I know it hurts, and I'm not just saying that because I liked this show, too!) - Somewhere down the line, I think someone like Disney Junior could use a show like this (not at primetime, though) just to diversify their schedules a little when the time comes to make some changes (I say that because I'm sure their current schedules are just fine the way they are...).

I don't see it happening, though. If you're an acquisition, unless you make huge sums of cash, you're gone when the time comes to make changes, or better yet, when something more "original" comes around.

Case in point being Jimmy Two-Shoes, a show I do like, isn't even showing all that much on Disney XD anymore now that they've found more capable/potential programming to run with than that.
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d7z3tj2.png
    BEWARE PANDERING ALWAYS. It leads to fascism.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson