Quantcast
    Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cartoon series in widescreen

Like This Thread!
    When did Disney start producing cartoon series in widescreen? I'm curious whether there are older series which were actually produced for widescreen, but only shown cropped in the past.

Disney series in 2000s produced for widescreen:
    American Dragon: Jake Long
    Dave the Barbarian
    The Emperor's New School
    Kim Possible
    Lilo & Stitch: The Series
    Phineas and Ferb
    Replacements (Season 2 only?)
    Teamo Supremo

Series from Jetix division which were produced for widescreen:
    A.T.O.M.
    Combo Ninos
    Get Ed
    Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!
    Yin Yang Yo!

Those lists are based on cartoon series I have seen on TV in Australia, I expect there are more from 2000s.
    Last edited by Kirben; 04-13-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Updated list

Alec is offline Webmaster, DC/DXD Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Proud Family Movie was produced in Widescreen. Phineas and Ferb, Fish Hooks & and The Replacements (more or likely, just Season 2) were/are also produced in Widescreen as well.

ECDT1089 is offline That Car Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe every series produced by WDTA after 2000 is in Widescreen/HD, BUT I could be wrong though. I know for a fact the The Legend of Tarzan is. The only way we would truly know about the other series, is if Disney Channel or Disney XD were to air them again.
    Very Cool

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alec2011 View Post
    The Proud Family Movie was produced in Widescreen. Phineas and Ferb, Fish Hooks & and The Replacements (more or likely, just Season 2) were/are also produced in Widescreen as well.
    I was focusing on cartoon series only, their animated movies have been widescreen for a long time now.

Phineas and Ferb and Fish Hooks are recent, so widescreen isn't surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by ECDT1089 View Post
    I believe every series produced by WDTA after 2000 is in Widescreen/HD, BUT I could be wrong though. I know for a fact the The Legend of Tarzan is.
    The Legend of Tarzan is listed as 1.66:1 on wikipedia, so I wonder whether that was just reframed from full frame, rather than produced for widescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by ECDT1089 View Post
    The only way we would truly know about the other series, is if Disney Channel or Disney XD were to air them again.
    Yes, several Jetix series were shown much later in Australia, so we got to see them in widescreen.

bat313 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK, I basically tried asking this question in the general animation thread:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showt...io-on-TV-today

But i got no real answer. How is Disney Junior airing shows like Little Mermaid and Jungle Cubs in widescreen? Are they stretching out the picture or were they re-formatted for widescreen? I'm just surprised both shows look so good compared to shows I watch on Boomerang (granted Boom is not in HD)

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bat313 View Post
    OK, I basically tried asking this question in the general animation thread:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showt...io-on-TV-today

But i got no real answer. How is Disney Junior airing shows like Little Mermaid and Jungle Cubs in widescreen? Are they stretching out the picture or were they re-formatted for widescreen? I'm just surprised both shows look so good compared to shows I watch on Boomerang (granted Boom is not in HD)
    Usually in these cases it's just matted. We're probably losing information from the top and bottom of the screen. It's probably similar to what Funimation did on DBZ a while back, taking a 4:3 series and chopping off info from the top and bottom to make it look widescreen.

bat313 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping Larry Jojo View Post
    Usually in these cases it's just matted. We're probably losing information from the top and bottom of the screen. It's probably similar to what Funimation did on DBZ a while back, taking a 4:3 series and chopping off info from the top and bottom to make it look widescreen.
    Thank you so much for an actual answer! Matted makes sense. The shows still look surprisingly great.

Here's hoping for so more classics to air on this channel in widescreen! I know it's not aimed at me but i'm really enjoying this channel.

Poweranimals is offline Invincible
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What sucks though is you can't see said shows in widescreen unless you have HD.

Alec is offline Webmaster, DC/DXD Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poweranimals View Post
    What sucks though is you can't see said shows in widescreen unless you have HD.
    You can, for example Disney Channel does with hour-episodes or if you watch TLC or USA Network, you can see them in widescreen (with the bars at the top).