Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    MrBabySpencer is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oakley California
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Should Disney Buy Out The Jim Henson Company??

    Like This Thread!
    Jim Henson Was Gonna Sell HIS Company To Disney, But Due To His Death, Sadly, Disney Never Got To Buy The Company, But in 2004, They Bought The Muppets From The Company, What Do You Think It Would Give Them A Chance TO FINISH THAT Fraggle Rock Film, So What Do You Think, Should Disney Buy The Jim Henson Company Or Not

  2. #2
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,565
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBabySpencer
    Do You Think It Would Give Them A Chance TO FINISH THAT Fraggle Rock Film
    Why would the Mouse House need or want to finish that when
    Fraggle Rock is a dead franchise now? Unless someone was planning to revive FR in some way, shape or form, what would be the point?
    Last edited by Silverstar; 04-03-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

  3. #3
    Peter Paltridge's Avatar
    Peter Paltridge is online now Thank God he wore trunks
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stars Hollow
    Posts
    16,731
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The biggest issue is what would happen to Sesame Street. Jim Henson was very clear that he never wanted Disney to own the rights to the SS characters. Given that Kermit is on that show, though, I don't know how it works these days.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: Rampaging through Portland soon, and on the Internet now....it's the Super Summer Issue of BANG, crammed with quality entertainment including a brand-new Mulberry story! Watch out for that tree!

  4. #4
    Don_East's Avatar
    Don_East is offline A regular character.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    7,590
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    The biggest issue is what would happen to Sesame Street. Jim Henson was very clear that he never wanted Disney to own the rights to the SS characters. Given that Kermit is on that show, though, I don't know how it works these days.
    That's actually a misconeption, Kermit hasn't been on Sesame Street for years, the last new material to feature was a five second cameo in an Elmo's World segment about frogs back in 08/09. They still have to okay to post clips of him in old segments online & release old material to feature him on DVD but new material isn't likely. There's seems to be some bad blood between Disney & Sesame Workshop due to Disney attempting to buy Sesame Street as well as the Muppets.

    In fact Jason Segal wanted to have Elmo cameo in the recent Muppet movie. The scene had the Muppets ask Elmo to host their telethon only to get shot down because he couldn't host due to legal reasons. The bit was cut that because the same reason happened for real.
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001160029169
    Anime Abomination: Hiatus (Curse You Blip)

  5. #5
    John Pannozzi's Avatar
    John Pannozzi is offline 30 Years of Turtle Power
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Providence, Rhode Island,
    Posts
    2,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    The biggest issue is what would happen to Sesame Street. Jim Henson was very clear that he never wanted Disney to own the rights to the SS characters. Given that Kermit is on that show, though, I don't know how it works these days.
    Sesame Workshop owns everything Sesame Street-related today, not the Hensons.

  6. #6
    hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Troy NY
    Posts
    5,730
    Blog Entries
    23
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBabySpencer View Post
    Jim Henson Was Gonna Sell HIS Company To Disney, But Due To His Death, Sadly, Disney Never Got To Buy The Company, But in 2004, They Bought The Muppets From The Company, What Do You Think It Would Give Them A Chance TO FINISH THAT Fraggle Rock Film, So What Do You Think, Should Disney Buy The Jim Henson Company Or Not

    You may need to do some more research. Like, who was it that released the Muppets movie (now out on DVD)? Yep, Disney. In other words, they already have a major stake in the Muppet franchise!

  7. #7
    Zen Man's Avatar
    Zen Man is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_East View Post
    That's actually a misconeption, Kermit hasn't been on Sesame Street for years, the last new material to feature was a five second cameo in an Elmo's World segment about frogs back in 08/09. They still have to okay to post clips of him in old segments online & release old material to feature him on DVD but new material isn't likely. There's seems to be some bad blood between Disney & Sesame Workshop due to Disney attempting to buy Sesame Street as well as the Muppets.

    In fact Jason Segal wanted to have Elmo cameo in the recent Muppet movie. The scene had the Muppets ask Elmo to host their telethon only to get shot down because he couldn't host due to legal reasons. The bit was cut that because the same reason happened for real.
    Guess that rules out a Muppet family reunion since all three of Henson's most successful properties are now in the hands of different companies. Kinda like the remnants of a messy divorce.

  8. #8
    Dudley's Avatar
    Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    11,758
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When Disney bought the Muppets (and Big Bear in the Blue House or whatever), I was shocked. I mean, the Muppets were synonymous with Jim Henson. I would've preferred if they had bought the whole company instead.


    Team Teen

    Cartoon heroes unite!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO