Quantcast
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Wander Over Yonder got a whopping 6 Annie Award nominations
    42nd Annie Award Nominations Announced | Animation Scoop
    Sadly Andy Bean wasn't nominated for music but oh well.

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    impressive

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, "The Gift" (which I guess is the season finale?) aired today, and now it makes sense why they premiered "The Gift II" before this episode. Some of the characters who made cameos hadn't appeared in the series yet, so they had to hold off on it until after they made their debut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
    So, "The Gift" (which I guess is the season finale?) aired today, and now it makes sense why they premiered "The Gift II" before this episode. Some of the characters who made cameos hadn't appeared in the series yet, so they had to hold off on it until after they made their debut.
    Yeah, Ryder was somehow in the Gift before The Rider episode. I guess this means this is actually the season finale (???)

Anyway, The Gift (1) was quite fun. The best parts about it were when it deviated from the 'Point of View' aspect. Like, the beginning was great and the ending is great but the whole 'What was the POV from Wander and Sylvia during the whole thing in the Gift 2?' was... okay I guess. I'll have to rewatch it again since I probably missed out on a couple of trivia i.e. that list of actual staff member names

Toon4Thought is online now Giving a slightly closer look.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I haven't talked about last month's episodes yet, but some of them I don't really have anything to say about, so here's just the ones I want to comment on:

The Helper - This episode felt very unusual for this show, and I'm not sure which way I mean that. I really like the concept of Wander being desperate to do good, and the particularly slow pace helps carry that mood throughout the episode. But, on the other hand, there were times when the characters' actions gave off a feeling that just felt off to me. Like, why would Hater simply go into a restaurant to order some food? We've seen that his ship has a food court, and even taking that out of the equation, that's pretty out of character for Hater. Then there's how Wander being banned from the place was taken as a happy ending for everyone. I know it may seem like I'm reading too deeply into this, but these examples make it pretty clear that this wasn't from our usual writing staff. I think this episode was alright as a whole, but some decisions just left me confused.

The Funk - While I do agree that the pacing left something to be desired, I actually disagree regarding the episode as a whole. I think there's some pretty deep stuff (for this show, at least) with Hater's problems, and it's once again really fun to see him and Peepers interact over an extensive period of time. There's some really well timed gags as well, with the repeated enterance sequence followed by the planet just... pausing the whole time and Peepers screaming into his cap, which are extremely helped by the fast pace of the animation. And there's some pretty neat imagination in Peeper's ideas to get Hater back in the groove that displays how much of a screwball this show can get without going too far with it. Overall, I quite liked this one.

The Rider - My opinion is pretty much the same as CobblerStone's. The first half felt too much like a watered down version of "The Big Job", and the pacing was too slow and kind of repetitive for my liking, but the second half was executed wonderfully, with a lot of great emotion, character evolution, and clever dialogue. The colorful and fast-paced animation shines in the second half as well. But what I really like the most is how incredibly satisfying it feels to see Wander essentially preform the ultimate good deed by returning all of these riches to those who have probably lost all of it for years, and it even kind of renders Hater as a threat as well, thus tieing in to that figure the credits animatic foreshadowed. Definitely serves as a satisfying season finale, despite some more mediocre sections.

The Gift - This was a pretty good-natured 11 minutes, but "The Giftening" was easily the better half for me. I felt that one told much more of a coherent and well-paced plot with better animation and tension. It helps that the jokes there work so much better if you watch that one first (which, since it's shown first on iTunes, you probably will - but the title numbering still doesn't make sense!). Don't get me wrong - there were a lot of things I liked in this episode. The visuals were particularly colorful this time around, the beginning and ending were so full of merry cheer I couldn't help but smile, and there were still some really well-timed gags, particularly the one at the end where the episode continues AFTER it cuts to black. Also, the continuity nods at the beginning were so overwhelming. I actually found myself pausing the video player several times over during the first 2 or so minutes just to catch them all. Even so, the middle doesn't exactly live up to the hype the beginning was promising, but I can't say I dislike this episode as a whole either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also have to say that I'm quite pleased with how Franke Angones and Amy Higgins were in the first season of WOY. Again, these two newcomers to cartoons are going to be the story editors for Season 2 and I was worried since I think Lauren Faust did a pretty good job and she's also experienced in animation whereas Frank and Amy are just writers. But episodes like The Epic Quest were just amazing top tier episodes and even in episodes where they didn't perform flawlessly like The Rider still had more than enough strong and great bits. So yeah, this doesn't confirm if Season 2 will be better handled by Frank and Amy but at least I am looking forward to seeing what they can offer in Season 2 now that Lauren is off with Medusa.

Also hoping most of the crew like Ben Joseph (the most prolific writer on WOY) is still around. The directors will likely still be around (Eddie Triguerros and Dave Thomas).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seems like they're voice recording for Season 2 now

Sam Riegel played Emperor Awesome and Sabrina Carpenter of Girl Meets World is having a guest appearance in Season 2. I suppose she will likely have a song number

While some people were overjoyed that the show would be 'darker', others weren't but Frank Angones, one of the new story editors, reassured them that:

"The darkest of times call for the sunniest of smiles. Don’t worry. We’re still Wander Over Yonder. We’ve got you covered!"

I suppose that's a win-win for everyone.

Toonatic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Congrats to Wander Over Yonder for snatching 2 Annie Awards for Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production and Outstanding Achievement, Character Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production!!!

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For this show to be more 'dark', it's going to have to become more violent and serious. Yeah - I can't see that fully working out for this kind of show, while still trying to be funny at the same time. Unlike Avatar (both series'), things would clash royally.

I don't think I'd be in if I saw that happen to this show, either. It would actually hurt what truly is an award - winning show if so.
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d7z3tj2.png
    BEWARE PANDERING, As it only leads to conformity, non-creativity, & fascism.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The ShopSoldier View Post
    For this show to be more 'dark', it's going to have to become more violent and serious. Yeah - I can't see that fully working out for this kind of show, while still trying to be funny at the same time. Unlike Avatar (both series'), things would clash royally.

I don't think I'd be in if I saw that happen to this show, either. It would actually hurt what truly is an award - winning show if so.
    Well, I wrote a post on Tumblr, sort of explaining to WOY fans that just because something is darker, it doesn't mean it's better i.e. The Christopher Nolan-fication of a lot of superhero movies. But Frank Angones responded saying:

"The darkest of times call for the sunniest of smiles. Don’t worry. We’re still Wander Over Yonder. We’ve got you covered!"

But y'know, I'm not necessarily against having a darker tone in shows, including WOY from time to time. But the keywords are: "From time to time". I think that's when animated shows do it best, when they occasionally do it. Teen Titans, Gravity Falls and Star Wars Rebels come to mind in how the majority of episodes tend to tell light hearted, funny or exciting adventures with live colorful characters. But when the infrequent darker episodes happen, it works because earlier (and after) you already seen the happier moments in our characters' lives and thus you empathize with their dire state. If it was constantly dark before, then there's no reason for someone to really feel sad because what's there to be sad about some character we never seen happy before?

And I think the same could work for WOY as it did in those other shows, more or less and to be fair, a bit of that has already happened in Season One. The fact that WOY is such a colorful and optimistic show lends itself to the darker episodes once in a while. The question is just how dark it will be in Season 2...

In any case, I'd recommend people to watch this as it explains why perpetually sad/grim dark games aren't as effective as games which are primarily optimistic but with the occasional emotional bits.