Zen Man is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Opinions on Bubba Duck?

Like This Thread!
    For anyone whose a fan of DuckTales, Im sure you're familer with Bubba the Cave Duck who was introduced in the show's second season. Opinions seem to vary on this character; some liked his addition while others depised him. When I watched the show as a kid, I sorta liked Bubba; but now that I'm older, I've grown indifferent towards him. They're really was no purpose for Bubba beyond his initial 5 part story arc and I think it would've been fine if the writers left him as a one shot character. Plus I don't think they ever explained Bubba's absense once Gizmoduck started to become a show regular. Did they sent Bubba back to his own time or did they just quietly drop his character altogether?

Anyway what are your opinions on Bubba?

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was neutral to him as kid. When I re-watched a bunch of episodes a few years ago I found him annoying and pointless. I can't recall that he was sent back to his own time, so I think that the writers silently got rid of him. It is kind of like how Doofus was rarely in any of the season 2 episodes.
    Last edited by Dr.Pepper; 03-18-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

Kryten is offline I've been Pony'd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Remember that episode of The Simpsons where they introduced Poochie, and they had him sing this elaborate theme song? First thing I thought of was Bubba Duck and the elaborate theme song they gave him. Except we were SUPPOSED to think Poochie was a contrived, useless character.
    Now 20% cooler

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bubba Duck wasn't a bad character, per se, he just wasn't a very necessary character. Bubba really didn't serve any purpose after the 5-part story arc which introduced him; in most episodes he was kind of just there. I only recall 2 episodes that directly focused on Bubba after his introduction. Part of the problem with Bubba was that he didn't really bring anything new to the table; aside from being a cave duck, he was just another duckling, and apart from the Nephews and Webbigail, the show's cute duckling quota was covered. Webby at least offered something different from Huey, Dewey and Louie by being female.

I don't think the producers completely got rid of Bubba, they just began gradually phasing him out of the show by the time Fenton was introduced. Bubba was pushed further into the background to the point where in one episode, "Attack of the 50-Foot Webby" he was only referred to in a single joke (1 of the Nephews holds up a deflated soccer ball and says, "Don't ask about soccer; Bubba's still recovering.") and eventually he was just never seen nor referred to again.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not the worst show ad on, but Fenton/Gizmoduck was the more entertaining character. Not to mention we get some fun dialogue between him and his couch potato mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Man View Post
    They're really was no purpose for Bubba beyond his initial 5 part story arc and I think it would've been fine if the writers left him as a one shot character. Plus I don't think they ever explained Bubba's absense once Gizmoduck started to become a show regular. Did they sent Bubba back to his own time or did they just quietly drop his character altogether?
    Neither character appeared in The Golden Goose Two Parter and movie, but the final two seasons would alternate between a Gizmoduck and Bubba episode.

Though the episode Metal Attraction (which had that female robot attracted to Gizmoduck) had both appearing in the episode.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.