Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Disney getting...lackluster?

Like This Thread!
    I don't know, does anyone feel like the shows are getting worse and worse? I thought we were safe when Hannah Montana was gone...but now we have...Ant Farm...Shake it Up...All That So Random...Good Luck Charlie...Jessie...and Mr. Young.

Woooow....

If it weren't for P&F, I wouldn't touch this channel with a 50 foot pole.

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disney Channel's shows IMO have never really been that good. Most of Disney's best TV shows even were not Disney Channel originals and really to me Disney has always been movies before TV shows but if i'm the minority there fine. The channel was never that impressive and never an indication of Disney as a whole. So no I don't agree.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was never into tweencoms (even as a tween) so I don't think that it is getting lackluster. It's been lackluster for a long time IMO.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Silverstar is offline The Hub is Dead to Me Now
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I was never into tweencoms (even as a tween) so I don't think that it is getting lackluster. It's been lackluster for a long time IMO.
    Same here. I really can't say that Disney's current slew of tweencoms are any better or worse than their previous crop, since I've never been into tweencoms in general. I honestly can't see the difference regarding their live-action shows.

But if we're talking about their animation, then yes, Disney is in kind of a lull right now, but it's to be expected. Budgets are tight right now, and Disney, like most companies at the present, would rather rely on their safety net of shows which they know are selling rather than take a risk spending a whole mess of cheddar on a new idea which may or may not sell. Since these things are cyclical, this will most likely change, but right now, with the features and every other enterprises the Mouse House has its' hands in right now, something's gotta give, and the TV cartoons are it presently, since the LA shows are cheaper and quicker to produce.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Regarding the channel's tweencom, I do like some of the shows that they aired back when I was in their target demographic, like The Famous Jett Jackson, Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens, more than their more recent shows that you mentioned, but I don't think that really says much. Part of my preference could be due to nostalgia and not enjoying the characters on their current shows. I do enjoy some recent tweencoms, but those are pretty much the ones on Nick.

As for their animated series, I agree that it's pretty lackluster. The only enjoyable animated series they have at this point is Phineas and Ferb, which is too bad since I liked most of their animated series from back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I believe that producing live-action series is cheaper to do than animated series, which is probably one reason why the channel is more focused on their tweencoms, but it's still too bad to see that they don't have much animated shows on their lineup nowadays.

soundmonkey44 is offline Melancholic Man.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disne'ys Been Lackluster for the better part of the 21st century... ever since they started focusing on poorly written tweencoms (around03- 04) over other things.
    Nerd Of All Trades, Master Of None.
    Archie Sonic & Megaman Comic Fanboy.
    HUB & TOONAMI Fanatic.

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Live-action? Yes.
    Animation? Not really.

I feel that Disney's animated features are out of the rut, they kind of formed during the early to mid-2000's (though none of them were unwatchable). As for television animation. The only one I find terrible is Fish Hooks, because it's a lot like their live action shows: cliche and obnoxious. Phineas and Ferb's one of the best cartoons on television now, and Kick Buttowski's fun to watch because it's a well storyboarded and great Flash (though it's done in Toonboom) animation.

Alec is offline Webmaster, DC/DXD Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLinkEAI View Post
    I don't know, does anyone feel like the shows are getting worse and worse? I thought we were safe when Hannah Montana was gone...but now we have...Ant Farm...Shake it Up...All That So Random...Good Luck Charlie...Jessie...and Mr. Young.

Woooow....

If it weren't for P&F, I wouldn't touch this channel with a 50 foot pole.
    Well let's see. I'm not sure how old you are but it could be because you, I don't know, grew up? Yes I liked the older shows (So Weird, The Famous Jett Jackson, Even Stevens, Etc.) and some of the newer stuff (HM, WOWP, TSLoZ&C, TSLoD even Good Luck Charlie). The newer shows are aimed at the ages of 13-16, the exact same age as you were when you liked the older shows. You just grew out of it.

Who says the kids now don't like the shows. By the look of the ratings, they are doing pretty well weather you think it's bad or weather a tween likes it.

I think animation wise, they could have more of it. Phineas and Ferb is really funny, I enjoy that show. Fish Hooks, let just say, not a fan. I'm excited to see the new Disney Channel series "Gravity Falls" and the Disney XD series "Motorcity," those I'll give a chance.

Avengers is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The funny thing about disney is it did not always suck, gargoyles, lizie mcgwire, zack/cody, ducktales and all the other disney afternoon cartoons at that time were pretty good and actually rival the best cartoons

They also had found some great talent, ashley tisdale I think is one of the most talented actressess in a while (her candace is amazing) and alyson stoner is pretty good to

The problem is when High school musical was made Disney had the idea to create a show about it which became hannah montana and it destroyed the channel for kids under ten and then they decided to make show after show with similar characters and jokes and it destroyed the channel (just look at what they did to the zack/cody reboot, turning a fairly funny show and cast into a dud), its a shame considering the talent trapped in the studio

As for P/F is that disney? I think disney green lighted a show that they have no involvement in and all the better, P/F is one of the best cartoons ever and its the creators work not disney's, it just happens to be on the disney channel

firefoxprime is offline 90s = Golden Years
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    Regarding the channel's tweencom, I do like some of the shows that they aired back when I was in their target demographic, like The Famous Jett Jackson, Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens, more than their more recent shows that you mentioned, but I don't think that really says much. Part of my preference could be due to nostalgia and not enjoying the characters on their current shows. I do enjoy some recent tweencoms, but those are pretty much the ones on Nick.

As for their animated series, I agree that it's pretty lackluster. The only enjoyable animated series they have at this point is Phineas and Ferb, which is too bad since I liked most of their animated series from back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I believe that producing live-action series is cheaper to do than animated series, which is probably one reason why the channel is more focused on their tweencoms, but it's still too bad to see that they don't have much animated shows on their lineup nowadays.
    Absolutely. The pre-2005 disney shows AND original movies had more "heart". Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, TF:Jett Jackson, and The Jersey were great shows. They were all family oriented. Not tween fest muck. Raven was pretty good, since it was the first "Its a Laugh Productions" show. They put alot of effort into cementing the series, but everything else after that was half-baked.

The Org.Movies also gave lesser know actors/actresses a chance to shine. Brink, Zenon 1&2(3 was meh-ish), Smart House, Upx2 Away, The Color of Friendship, Alley Kats Strike, Phantom of the Megaplex, The Ultimate Christmas Present, Poof Point...etc I'll stop right there. All nostagic googles aside, these series had "heart". I wonder if its just the mentallity of america in 90s/early 00s. Now its just cookie cutter. Seriously. Insert actor A into the lead role. Actor B as the evil nemesis. Flip the switch and you've got a movie. 10 years ago, the movie made the actor, not the actor made the movie... There's no heart nowadays...kinda sad really. Atleast Good Luck Charlie is rekindling that flame from the TGIF days. Where the parents aren't complete morons, and make the kids feel dumb for a change. -whew-

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Live-action? Yes.
    Animation? Not really.

I feel that Disney's animated features are out of the rut, they kind of formed during the early to mid-2000's (though none of them were unwatchable). As for television animation. The only one I find terrible is Fish Hooks, because it's a lot like their live action shows: cliche and obnoxious. Phineas and Ferb's one of the best cartoons on television now, and Kick Buttowski's fun to watch because it's a well storyboarded and great Flash (though it's done in Toonboom) animation.
    Are you referring to their animated movies during the 2000s? Or their animated series. If the latter, I semi-disagree. Their more comedic shows, Buzz on Maggie, Dave the Barbarian, and Brandy & Mr. Whiskers were mediocre at best. The Replacements was "okay". The Proud Family was really good though. Their more action-oriented series, Kim Possible and JK:American Dragon were awesome shows.
    Anime currently watching:

Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast