Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Is Disney getting...lackluster?

    Like This Thread!

    I don't know, does anyone feel like the shows are getting worse and worse? I thought we were safe when Hannah Montana was gone...but now we have...Ant Farm...Shake it Up...All That So Random...Good Luck Charlie...Jessie...and Mr. Young.

    Woooow....

    If it weren't for P&F, I wouldn't touch this channel with a 50 foot pole.

  2. #2
    Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hammond IN
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disney Channel's shows IMO have never really been that good. Most of Disney's best TV shows even were not Disney Channel originals and really to me Disney has always been movies before TV shows but if i'm the minority there fine. The channel was never that impressive and never an indication of Disney as a whole. So no I don't agree.

  3. #3
    Dr.Pepper's Avatar
    Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In A House
    Posts
    6,700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was never into tweencoms (even as a tween) so I don't think that it is getting lackluster. It's been lackluster for a long time IMO.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

  4. #4
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I was never into tweencoms (even as a tween) so I don't think that it is getting lackluster. It's been lackluster for a long time IMO.
    Same here. I really can't say that Disney's current slew of tweencoms are any better or worse than their previous crop, since I've never been into tweencoms in general. I honestly can't see the difference regarding their live-action shows.

    But if we're talking about their animation, then yes, Disney is in kind of a lull right now, but it's to be expected. Budgets are tight right now, and Disney, like most companies at the present, would rather rely on their safety net of shows which they know are selling rather than take a risk spending a whole mess of cheddar on a new idea which may or may not sell. Since these things are cyclical, this will most likely change, but right now, with the features and every other enterprises the Mouse House has its' hands in right now, something's gotta give, and the TV cartoons are it presently, since the LA shows are cheaper and quicker to produce.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

  5. #5
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,807
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Regarding the channel's tweencom, I do like some of the shows that they aired back when I was in their target demographic, like The Famous Jett Jackson, Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens, more than their more recent shows that you mentioned, but I don't think that really says much. Part of my preference could be due to nostalgia and not enjoying the characters on their current shows. I do enjoy some recent tweencoms, but those are pretty much the ones on Nick.

    As for their animated series, I agree that it's pretty lackluster. The only enjoyable animated series they have at this point is Phineas and Ferb, which is too bad since I liked most of their animated series from back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I believe that producing live-action series is cheaper to do than animated series, which is probably one reason why the channel is more focused on their tweencoms, but it's still too bad to see that they don't have much animated shows on their lineup nowadays.

  6. #6
    soundmonkey44's Avatar
    soundmonkey44 is offline Melancholic Man.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disne'ys Been Lackluster for the better part of the 21st century... ever since they started focusing on poorly written tweencoms (around03- 04) over other things.
    Nerd Of All Trades, Master Of None.
    Archie Sonic & Megaman Comic Fanboy.
    HUB & TOONAMI Fanatic.

  7. #7
    Dudley's Avatar
    Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    11,524
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Live-action? Yes.
    Animation? Not really.

    I feel that Disney's animated features are out of the rut, they kind of formed during the early to mid-2000's (though none of them were unwatchable). As for television animation. The only one I find terrible is Fish Hooks, because it's a lot like their live action shows: cliche and obnoxious. Phineas and Ferb's one of the best cartoons on television now, and Kick Buttowski's fun to watch because it's a well storyboarded and great Flash (though it's done in Toonboom) animation.


    Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)


  8. #8
    Alec's Avatar
    Alec is offline Webmaster, DC/DXD Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestLinkEAI View Post
    I don't know, does anyone feel like the shows are getting worse and worse? I thought we were safe when Hannah Montana was gone...but now we have...Ant Farm...Shake it Up...All That So Random...Good Luck Charlie...Jessie...and Mr. Young.

    Woooow....

    If it weren't for P&F, I wouldn't touch this channel with a 50 foot pole.
    Well let's see. I'm not sure how old you are but it could be because you, I don't know, grew up? Yes I liked the older shows (So Weird, The Famous Jett Jackson, Even Stevens, Etc.) and some of the newer stuff (HM, WOWP, TSLoZ&C, TSLoD even Good Luck Charlie). The newer shows are aimed at the ages of 13-16, the exact same age as you were when you liked the older shows. You just grew out of it.

    Who says the kids now don't like the shows. By the look of the ratings, they are doing pretty well weather you think it's bad or weather a tween likes it.

    I think animation wise, they could have more of it. Phineas and Ferb is really funny, I enjoy that show. Fish Hooks, let just say, not a fan. I'm excited to see the new Disney Channel series "Gravity Falls" and the Disney XD series "Motorcity," those I'll give a chance.

  9. #9
    Avengers's Avatar
    Avengers is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The funny thing about disney is it did not always suck, gargoyles, lizie mcgwire, zack/cody, ducktales and all the other disney afternoon cartoons at that time were pretty good and actually rival the best cartoons

    They also had found some great talent, ashley tisdale I think is one of the most talented actressess in a while (her candace is amazing) and alyson stoner is pretty good to

    The problem is when High school musical was made Disney had the idea to create a show about it which became hannah montana and it destroyed the channel for kids under ten and then they decided to make show after show with similar characters and jokes and it destroyed the channel (just look at what they did to the zack/cody reboot, turning a fairly funny show and cast into a dud), its a shame considering the talent trapped in the studio

    As for P/F is that disney? I think disney green lighted a show that they have no involvement in and all the better, P/F is one of the best cartoons ever and its the creators work not disney's, it just happens to be on the disney channel

  10. #10
    firefoxprime's Avatar
    firefoxprime is online now 90s = Golden Years
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    Regarding the channel's tweencom, I do like some of the shows that they aired back when I was in their target demographic, like The Famous Jett Jackson, Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens, more than their more recent shows that you mentioned, but I don't think that really says much. Part of my preference could be due to nostalgia and not enjoying the characters on their current shows. I do enjoy some recent tweencoms, but those are pretty much the ones on Nick.

    As for their animated series, I agree that it's pretty lackluster. The only enjoyable animated series they have at this point is Phineas and Ferb, which is too bad since I liked most of their animated series from back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I believe that producing live-action series is cheaper to do than animated series, which is probably one reason why the channel is more focused on their tweencoms, but it's still too bad to see that they don't have much animated shows on their lineup nowadays.
    Absolutely. The pre-2005 disney shows AND original movies had more "heart". Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, TF:Jett Jackson, and The Jersey were great shows. They were all family oriented. Not tween fest muck. Raven was pretty good, since it was the first "Its a Laugh Productions" show. They put alot of effort into cementing the series, but everything else after that was half-baked.

    The Org.Movies also gave lesser know actors/actresses a chance to shine. Brink, Zenon 1&2(3 was meh-ish), Smart House, Upx2 Away, The Color of Friendship, Alley Kats Strike, Phantom of the Megaplex, The Ultimate Christmas Present, Poof Point...etc I'll stop right there. All nostagic googles aside, these series had "heart". I wonder if its just the mentallity of america in 90s/early 00s. Now its just cookie cutter. Seriously. Insert actor A into the lead role. Actor B as the evil nemesis. Flip the switch and you've got a movie. 10 years ago, the movie made the actor, not the actor made the movie... There's no heart nowadays...kinda sad really. Atleast Good Luck Charlie is rekindling that flame from the TGIF days. Where the parents aren't complete morons, and make the kids feel dumb for a change. -whew-


    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Live-action? Yes.
    Animation? Not really.

    I feel that Disney's animated features are out of the rut, they kind of formed during the early to mid-2000's (though none of them were unwatchable). As for television animation. The only one I find terrible is Fish Hooks, because it's a lot like their live action shows: cliche and obnoxious. Phineas and Ferb's one of the best cartoons on television now, and Kick Buttowski's fun to watch because it's a well storyboarded and great Flash (though it's done in Toonboom) animation.
    Are you referring to their animated movies during the 2000s? Or their animated series. If the latter, I semi-disagree. Their more comedic shows, Buzz on Maggie, Dave the Barbarian, and Brandy & Mr. Whiskers were mediocre at best. The Replacements was "okay". The Proud Family was really good though. Their more action-oriented series, Kim Possible and JK:American Dragon were awesome shows.
    Anime currently watching:

    Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios

  11. #11
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,807
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxprime View Post
    Absolutely. The pre-2005 disney shows AND original movies had more "heart". Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, TF:Jett Jackson, and The Jersey were great shows. They were all family oriented. Not tween fest muck. Raven was pretty good, since it was the first "Its a Laugh Productions" show. They put alot of effort into cementing the series, but everything else after that was half-baked.

    The Org.Movies also gave lesser know actors/actresses a chance to shine. Brink, Zenon 1&2(3 was meh-ish), Smart House, Upx2 Away, The Color of Friendship, Alley Kats Strike, Phantom of the Megaplex, The Ultimate Christmas Present, Poof Point...etc I'll stop right there. All nostagic googles aside, these series had "heart". I wonder if its just the mentallity of america in 90s/early 00s. Now its just cookie cutter. Seriously. Insert actor A into the lead role. Actor B as the evil nemesis. Flip the switch and you've got a movie. 10 years ago, the movie made the actor, not the actor made the movie... There's no heart nowadays...kinda sad really. Atleast Good Luck Charlie is rekindling that flame from the TGIF days. Where the parents aren't complete morons, and make the kids feel dumb for a change. -whew-
    I forgot about That's So Raven. I kind of liked that show too, mainly the first couple of seasons. The Jersey was okay, but I thought it got a bit better later on when more people started to find out about the jersey's power. I'm not sure if I'd say the problem with the current series is the lack of heart. I can definitely see why other people would say that, but I'm not sure if that's how I'd describe it. None of their current series really peak my interest, even though I really like watching iCarly and Victorious on Nick, so it isn't just a matter of not liking the current age of tweencoms for me. It might be more than none of the series feel that interesting with their premise or characters and that I don't find them particularly funny either.

    With the original movies, I do think that their problem is a lack of effort, which is probably the same thing as not having any heart put into them at this point. I loved watching Disney Channel Original Movies and I really liked how they used to have a new one every month or so back around the late 90s and early 2000s. Most of the movies you mentioned I really enjoyed watching and P.U.N.K.S was my favorite one to watch whenever it was on. I also liked how they didn't use their own stars all of the time like they do now, although I do recall a few movies where they did use more well known actors for the main leads. Most of the current Disney Channel Original Movies feel kind of stale or forgettable. The only ones from the recent years I've liked were Minute Men and Lemonade Mouth. I really enjoyed the time travel aspect of Minute Men and Lemonade Mouth felt like a fairly decent ride compared to other recent movies, mainly due to the chemistry between the main casts and some catchy songs. It still feels depressing when I see one of their older movies airing in the middle of the night instead of when they normally air movies so that people can see some of their older movies.

  12. #12
    GatorMan92's Avatar
    GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't go near the Disney Channel anymore ; The live-action shows have gotten progressively worse and, for me, the last great animated show they had was Kim Possible.

  13. #13
    The ShopSoldier's Avatar
    The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    You Won't Succeed at This
    Posts
    2,012
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Disney becoming lackluister?... I'm sorry to say this.

    Disney's been lackluster since all this live action took over. And a majority of it isn't remotely relatable, let alone watchable, unless to younglings willing to buy (into) what they're selling them.

    It wasn't like that, let alone that noticable then, but Disney is so desperate to adhere to their "safety net", even when the economy wasn't hurting (because I could notice their clinging to franchises like High School Musical, for example, hence where trouble seemed ahead) that it has become more and more obvious how negatively (I'm surprised) they think of their target audience. Thse tweencoms seems less made for entertainment purposes and more for product-placement (some of the worst and most shamless/intrusive out there, TBH) at their worst or most obvious, hence all the vocal talents they try to make star-vehicles out of (who, at worst, can barely act)!

    I'm sorry - But if it wasn't for Kick Buttowski and Jimmy-Two Shoes(Which is an acquistion, sadly) (P & F is awesome and better than KB, but I do not like it, though I definitely respect it for reminding people of what Disney, TV-wise, is capable of when they do things right and respect their audience's intelligence), and Pixar making movies that are enjoyable for EVERYONE (Disney is capable, both live-action, and definitely animation as of late, but not always, let's just put it that way), Disney would be in more of a hole IMHO than Brandy & Mr. Whiskers and The Buzz on Maggie (both unfunny, unrelatable comedies I exteremly dislike, especially TBOM because of how it's haunted me with how unwatchable it is), ever dug for it, to name examples that had hurt them...

    What I'm saying is - in terms of animation, they're okay (As long as you don't count Fish Hooks and their current treatment of action cartoons in general) - otherwise I would never admit to how much Kick Buttowski surprises me in a good way (but not always, sadly), for example.

    They'll be better if they treat it better, regardless of how the medium is done - that goes for movies, especially (Which I have no problems with, currently, as Disney is getting their act to gether in that department. Pixar needs no scolding here, I'm sure).

    In terms of live-action.... Sorry, not so much.

    Bottom line, IMHO if Disney wants to really rake in the moolah in this bad economy and have recognition from viewers like us in doing so without coming off in the wrong, they should just stick to animation. But most importantly, IMPROVE on it!

    Either that, or work on establishing a real balance - like hire some people who know how to do sitcoms and make them funny, not just seemingly expendable star-vehicles for otherwise forgettable vocal talents...

    ...And If I'm being harsh, it's because I care. I don't want to see people think of Disney in the years to come, in the years I'm, still breating, as only in it for the cash, with the entertainment as an increasingly worthless afterthought!
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

  14. #14
    Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hammond IN
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Clearly I'm alone here.

    What's funny is I remember Lizzie McGuire,getting the same kind of hate that Hanna Montana got. Now this is just me but Disney Channel has never really been a great channel. Ok Even Stevens was good but really that's it.

    Also Disney Channel has never really been about animation. It aired reruns of Disney cartoons but never really gave them good time slots and most of the channels original cartoons were not that great and pretty forgettable. To me Disney Channel has always been the low part of Disney as a whole and I would never use it to represent Disney as a whole.

    I don't see how their "live action has gotten worse" as well their live action really seems to be about the same in quality nothing horrible but nothing really good ether.

    Disney Channel has always been crap to me yet I never use it to represent Disney as a whole.

  15. #15
    The ShopSoldier's Avatar
    The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    You Won't Succeed at This
    Posts
    2,012
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragnatek View Post
    Clearly I'm alone here.

    What's funny is I remember Lizzie McGuire,getting the same kind of hate that Hanna Montana got. Now this is just me but Disney Channel has never really been a great channel. Ok Even Stevens was good but really that's it.

    Also Disney Channel has never really been about animation. It aired reruns of Disney cartoons but never really gave them good time slots and most of the channels original cartoons were not that great and pretty forgettable. To me Disney Channel has always been the low part of Disney as a whole and I would never use it to represent Disney as a whole.

    I don't see how their "live action has gotten worse" as well their live action really seems to be about the same in quality nothing horrible but nothing really good ether.

    Disney Channel has always been crap to me yet I never use it to represent Disney as a whole.
    Disney Channel, nor XD, represent Disney as a whole, agreed. However, it's so obvious they could both be better channels than what many of us see them as now, so as to not cling to Pixar/Disney's theatrical fare as the only good thing about them.
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

  16. #16
    Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hammond IN
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAnarchist View Post
    Disney Channel, nor XD, represent Disney as a whole, agreed. However, it's so obvious they could both be better channels than what many of us see them as now, so as to not cling to Pixar/Disney's theatrical fare as the only good thing about them.
    Of course they could be good but IMO they never have been good. Disney Channel might have had a decent show here or there but it's overall quality has pretty much been the same as it is now. Pretty Abysmal. And Disney XD well I had hope for it and I still have a little. i am hoping for an action cartoon block in 2012, since they have three new original Action cartoons and season two of Avengers. But I'm not expecting much.

    the thing is most of the best Disney TV shows such as the Disney Afternoon stuff were not Disney channel originals and only aired on Disney channel years later as reruns. Now I realize times have changed. But it's just even when it was a premium channel in the eighties and early nineties i always felt that Disney Channel was not that impressive as a channel. And really it's pretty much the same in terms of quality even if the shows are different.

    It's not like Nick or cartoon Network which I can say have gone down hill in terms or quality for me with Disney Channel it's more like they went sideways news shows same over all meh to bad quality with a gem here and there.

  17. #17
    GWOtaku's Avatar
    GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    16,827
    Blog Entries
    45
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm kind of sad to see what looks like resistance to Disney live action out of principle. That too is a major part of the company's history, and in my view it's a legacy to be proud of overall. That said, in the moment, yes I'll agree that the Disney channel is saturated with mediocre tween-focused content. It could & should be better and I've always thought that the shift away from all-age appeal was a change for the worse for the channel.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson
    ______________________
    Vote in the TZ Forums' "Battle of the Brackets" Action Cartoon Tournament!

  18. #18
    mordecai321 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    423
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The shows I watched when I was younger were better but I agree that Disney shows were never really that good. I hate Ant Farm and So Random. Jessie and Shake it Up are okay, IMO. I have no clue what's wrong with Good Luck Charlie besides the mom I hate her. And don't forget Kickin' It and anything (almost literally) on Disney XD. My Babysitter's a Vampire is pretty funny and mildly scary. Oh yeah and that Austin & Ally thing looks pretty pathetic. (Then again I said that about Jessie, but it turned out to be better)

    For the animated show, I think Fish Hooks is good. It's defiantly not as bad as everyone says and it's getting better and CERTAINLY better than Noah Z. Jones' Almost Naked Animals. I think Phineas & Ferb is still mildly funny but is getting pretty pathetic and lame considering all they do is repeat the same thing over and over again. Sometime's I feel the only reason to watch is for Perry and Doofenshmirtz. The thing that I always hated about P&F was Candace and some obnoxious things in it. Kick Buttowski is probably better than P&F IMO. It's really funny and I like the way it's animated.

  19. #19
    ABrown's Avatar
    ABrown is offline Father of twins
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Schererville, IN
    Posts
    2,875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, leave the tweens alone. Let them have their "tweencoms". I'll admit that I prefered the previous wave of shows that are gone now: Hannah Montana, Suite Life, and Sonny With A Chance. But Good Luck Charlie is a really nice family show, and my ten year old son watches Ant Farm and Shake It Up. But I will say that right now Nick has the edge. I think ICarly and Victorious are far superior tween shows to Disney's current wave.

  20. #20
    Shift's Avatar
    Shift is offline Brave Warrior of the Sea
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't always have access to the Disney Channel, or much of anything not on basic cable until they changed it up. I got on board around the time Even Stevens and Lizzie McGuire were the studio darlings, and my opinion ranged from mildly amused by the former to interest-turned-aggravation at the latter. By the time That's So Raven appeared, I think the formula of today was well on it's way. Sadly

    Storyboard Artist for The Sonic Fan Film


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO