Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Eh... the first Naruto had a very successful run all things considered. It didn't get canned until the filler and only a fraction of the episodes of those filler seasons didn't air. It just wasn't given an honorable death by any means. Nobody would consider that broadcast a failure given Cartoon Network treated Naruto like gold for around 180 episodes of it's 220.

Shippuden's on the other hand was only treated well for about 60-70 episodes before DXD started burying it but ratings may have been the cause in which case it's record is even more tarnished. Hopefully that doesn't keep it from getting another broadcast home but apparently Viz uploaded episodes 101-112 on iTunes recently and DXD hasn't even reached 100.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still like Disney XD, but I hate how they're treating Shippuden.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Lord Mawdryn is offline Board Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    Eh... the first Naruto had a very successful run all things considered. It didn't get canned until the filler and only a fraction of the episodes of those filler seasons didn't air. It just wasn't given an honorable death by any means. Nobody would consider that broadcast a failure given Cartoon Network treated Naruto like gold for around 180 episodes of it's 220.
    I think the original Naruto series was getting decent ratings on CN even during the filler--it may even have been outperforming some of their original shows--but it was pulling in a slightly older audience than they really wanted at the time. Possibly there might even have been an issue of CN getting more of a return from their own properties (through merchandising and home video sales) than from an acquisition like Naruto.

Could be that the same scenario has already played out at Disney XD,
    Shippuden's on the other hand was only treated well for about 60-70 episodes before DXD started burying it but ratings may have been the cause in which case it's record is even more tarnished. Hopefully that doesn't keep it from getting another broadcast home but apparently Viz uploaded episodes 101-112 on iTunes recently and DXD hasn't even reached 100.
    "Well, there's your problem..."

But seriously, it really could be that a great deal of Shippuden's audience see the show through other means and the ratings on Disney XD reflect that.
    Last edited by Ed Liu; 10-30-2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: copyright infringement

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe..."

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The last Naruto premiere that ran on Cartoon Network outperformed a heavily advertised Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode. Naruto was by no means in ratings trouble on Cartoon Network.

What happened to Naruto on CN was politics, plain and simple. CN had regime change, and the new regime decided that whatever DVD residuals CN got from Naruto was not enough and they demanded Viz to give up more merchandise money. Viz balked, Naruto got cancelled. The current regime on CN does not care about ratings, they want merchandise money from toys and games, and it does not matter what the ratings are as long as the toys sell. That's what doomed Sym-Bionic Titan, not the ratings, but the lack of a merch deal. That's what keeps Bakugan on the network even though viewers have rejected the show since its inception, the toys sell, so the show goes on.

The same thing probably just happened to Shippuden, though its ratings were a bit of a drop from the original series, though Disney moving it around the schedule was part of it, Avengers: EMH has had struggling ratings too from DXD shuffling that show around (same with any action properties DXD has touched actually).

So yeah, Naruto's done on US TV. Again. And this time it's probably for good.

Somewhere out there Jeff Harris is tap-dancing.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    perhaps viz should take a page from funimation book and just release naruto shippuden on dvd like funi does with one piece which pretty much went the same way as naruto did when toonmai ended?

so far the only one of the big three that does well on tv is bleach on adult swim and i often wonder how that will last.

of course i unlike the rest of you shouldn't complain as i don't help anyone due to fact i only have enough money for internet and watch everything online and i get my dvds from either netfilx or my local libairy.

Swolenator is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    sigh this is so annoying. and i looked in my dvr history and it said naruto shippuden was canceled and the reason it gave was this content expired or something like that...

Mohji is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Naruto Shippuden is pre-empted once again this week. That makes a full month.

{Shadow} is online now Toonami - Saturdays 11:30p-6a! Blosics 3 Champion Angry Animals Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohji View Post
    Naruto Shippuden is pre-empted once again this week. That makes a full month.
    Yeah... they really don't want to air this show anymore. All premieres for this month have been removed.

Lanmanna is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ugh, I made a post a few months back how I thought Shippuden would be killed off. I just wish I wasn't right.

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterstar View Post
    Dang. Naruto failed on TV twice. Both due to poor scheduling.
    Lance (Sym-Bionic Titan): Join the club.
    I'd say the first Naruto series was a success on CN, the way the network handled it was poor but it pulled in good ratings which made it a success. Shippuden was unfortunately on a fly by night network that isn't available to everyone, had it been on regular Disney Channel then it may have found success. Still, the series sells well on DVD and is one of the top streamed anime's through the major legal streaming sites, so it doesn't really need television.

Still, I'm upset that Disney doesn't just find a good slot for it, 11PM on a Saturday is certainly not going to draw in any viewers....

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

Mohji is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Still, I'm upset that Disney doesn't just find a good slot for it, 11PM on a Saturday is certainly not going to draw in any viewers....
    This is why it baffles me that DXD can't properly finish airing the episodes they have acquired. It's not like it's airing in a prime time slot or anything.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Really if they think 11PM is too good of a slot then cut Spider-Man: TAS down to a half hour and run Shippuden at Midnight on Saturday (or Sunday) or death slot the last of it but I'm thinking they're not going to air the rest at all and 11PM on Saturday was as bad of a slot as they were willing to give the premieres before it wasn't worth it to them to air it at all.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

SoulEaterHaruhi is offline I am Lamp. I like candy.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looking over these posts, it really looks like the death of Naruto Shippuden on DXD. So, where will it go now? It's possible Nicktoons may not even want it since they're having a ball with the Dragonball franchise. I mean, why take a failed show from one of the rival networks? Then again, stranger things have happened.

Guess this is it, and just thought I ask since I got a pal who used to watch it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what was the number of the last episode shown/name of it?

SoulEaterHaruhi is offline I am Lamp. I like candy.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swolenator View Post
    what was the number of the last episode shown/name of it?
    From looks of it, episode 97, The Labyrinth of Distorted Reflection, back on Oct. 8th. Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so any updates on naruto english dub version? I usually only watch english dubs. Is it coming back on? Switching channels? Btw anyone know if the dvds on netflix are the english dub versions? Trying figure out how to watch the rest of the series but in english dub not sub.

Morac is offline Infrequent Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swolenator
    so any updates on naruto english dub version? I usually only watch english dubs. Is it coming back on? Switching channels? Btw anyone know if the dvds on netflix are the english dub versions? Trying figure out how to watch the rest of the series but in english dub not sub.
    The Netflix DVD's are the unedited dubs. No idea where Naruto is going after Disney abandoned it. Strangely though my TiVo says Shippuden is airing on DXDHD on December 31 at 11 PM EST. That's probably wrong though.

Butterstar is offline Bring Sakura back to the US!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morac View Post
    Strangely though my TiVo says Shippuden is airing on DXDHD on December 31 at 11 PM EST. That's probably wrong though.
    Well, if there's a place to deathslot it, it'd be there, while everyone's watching goofy Dick Clark.
    TOONAMI: Every Saturday night on Cartoon Network, 12-6am. No excuses for not watching allowed.

The Talon is offline Armchair Assassin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, I think it's safe to say Disney's now done with the show.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When the h was the last time they showed an ep?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast