toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment "Maid of Honor, Parts 1 & 2"

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll

27 26.21%
  • **** 1/2

26 25.24%

30 29.13%
  • *** 1/2

11 10.68%

4 3.88%
  • ** 1/2

4 3.88%

0 0%
  • * 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 0.97%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Justice League "Maid of Honor, Parts 1 & 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Cartoon Network will air the all new Justice League two-part episode "Maid of Honor" tonight at 10pm (ET). Check your local listings.

Episode #33 & 34 - Maid of Honor Part 1 & 2
    Original Airdate - October 18th 2003

After Wonder Woman befriends a jet-setting Kasnian princess, she finds herself enmeshed in a complex plot of intrigue and betrayal masterminded by the Justice League's old enemy, Vandal Savage.

Comments?

Wanna chat about it? Join the JL Maid of Honor chat room on AOL/AIM(AOL Instant Messanger)!

NOTE: Talkback will be opened after airing.
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Nick K. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good episode. The princess was hot, and i couldve swore i saw mayor hill of gotham at the night club when they flew out. Vox kicked butt, i loved his and dianas fight sequence! VAndal Savages origin explanation was so great for his character development! I loved Dianas line at the end about the dance, which i loved also! She knows batman is bruce wayne!!!

John6777 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alright

It was an alright episode , not as good as last weeks. The CGI looks so out of place i hate when they use them. It just looks like they got lazy and just put them in for no reason. It was good seeing Batman and Diana. The Princess annoyed me so much i wanted her to die lol. The Animation was alright nothing spectacular. Flash kicked butt and he was only in a few scenes lol.

Squall is offline Calm Before The Storm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Amazing. Absoultely amazing!

Is there any doubt now that JL Season 2 is much, much, MUCH better than Season 1? (And I loved Season 1!) Timm & Co. deserve an Emmy for brilliant writing and choreography of action scenes. Booyah!

Four home runs in a row now! (Going back to JL "The Savage Time"). The hits just keep on coming!

I love the Kasnia connection (the made-up country that had plots in S:TAS "The Last Son of Krypton" and BB "Rebirth"), and the rail gun is an awesome idea for a weapon (I think I originally saw that idea in the video game "Wing Commander".)

I'm still in shock at how cool that episode was, I don't know what to say right now. Next Saturday can't come fast enough!

EDIT: Was I the only one that got this "James Bond movie" vibe from this episode? Vox definitely seemed like a James Bond-style villian, LOL... (I'm a big 007 fan too, so this isn't a bad thing at all!)
    Favorites! (1) Action: Transformers & G.I. Joe; Visionairies; The DCAU; Robotech, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo & Trigun; TMNT, MOTU; and Avengers: EMH; (2) Comedy: The Simpsons & Futurama, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast & The Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, ATHF, The Boondocks, The Venture Bros., and Archer

dtemplar is offline Old School Professor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maid of Honor

Role Call: Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter

Villian: Vandal Savage

Spotlight: Wonder Woman

Supporting Villians: Colonel Vox

Wonder Woman meets a princess who's a cross between Princess Stephanie and Paris Hilton, who's getting engaged to Vandal Savage, and Savage used her to become an evil tyrant, and tries to destroy the Eath with a space age rail gun.

My thoughts: 1. Its the first time we see Batman as Bruce Wayne (like last weeks episode seeing Superman in his Clark Kent identity). 2. Vandal's origin was too cool for words, even though he lived over 25,000 years. 3. It was a great episode.

Spoiler:
    Also in part 1, we see two heroes in one episode like we did with The Brave and the Bold. I like to see an episode were we can see Superman with another hero in part 1, maybe with Hawkgirl or Martian Manhunter.

Supremus is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK episode, nothing special. Part 1 with Bruce and Diana was by far the best aspect of this arc, but there wasn't enough of it. Part 2 was just a little bit all over the place, and not terribly interesting. Mostly because the idea of a rail-gun in space isn't something even James Bond would take too seriously, and it certainly shouldn't be a credible threat to a planet guarded by heroes such as Superman and GL

I do like the idea of pairing the JL members up in smaller teams like this, though, but the action-over-substance-approach is starting to get a bit boring. We had a whole season of mindless action last season, some more variation would be nice now.

creeper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supremus
    OK episode, nothing special. Part 1 with Bruce and Diana was by far the best aspect of this arc, but there wasn't enough of it. Part 2 was just a little bit all over the place, and not terribly interesting. Mostly because the idea of a rail-gun in space isn't something even James Bond would take too seriously, and it certainly shouldn't be a credible threat to a planet guarded by heroes such as Superman and GL

I do like the idea of pairing the JL members up in smaller teams like this, though, but the action-over-substance-approach is starting to get a bit boring. We had a whole season of mindless action last season, some more variation would be nice now.
    Speaking of superman.......wouldn't a threat like a meteor prompt the man of steel to maybe stop them from hitting their targets? i mean...he's superman....you didn't even see him call the others to see if they needed help. I'm hoping he was on another planet or something, cause if he was on earth, what a waste

People commented on diana figuring out about Batman's identity. But i think it was his reaction to it that was the most priceless. He didn't even flinch.
    I miss the good ol' days. Toon zone used to be really fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Bruce Wayne looked a little like Dick Grayson in the New Batman design. Also, Flash keeps getting better every week. He was freakin great when he took the dudes out, and thank god gl got him, i was actually worried bout him lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall
    Amazing. Absoultely amazing!

Is there any doubt now that JL Season 2 is much, much, MUCH better than Season 1? (And I loved Season 1!) Timm & Co. deserve an Emmy for brilliant writing and choreography of action scenes. Booyah!
    I am starting to have my doubts. I thought the "CG enhanced" air battle was particularly weak compared to The Savage Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall
    EDIT: Was I the only one that got this "James Bond movie" vibe from this episode? Vox definitely seemed like a James Bond-style villian, LOL... (I'm a big 007 fan too, so this isn't a bad thing at all!)
    I am with you on the James Bond vibe, problem is that when Superman gets back in town, a rail gun that fires meteors from space seems slightly useless. It might have worked against season 1 Superman, but not the more powerful season 2 Superman. Even GL should have been able to plug it with an ingenious construct. Oh, that's right, he doesn't do those

Kenny E. McCall is offline We fight like cats!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But Diana looked hot in that black dress! Excellent episode to me!
    In the animated music industry, there are two completely different but important girl groups: The Holograms, who are just Truly Outrageous, and the Misfits, who think their music is better. These are their stories.

Law and Order: Starlight Music. (dong-dong)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creeper
    Speaking of superman.......wouldn't a threat like a meteor prompt the man of steel to maybe stop them from hitting their targets? i mean...he's superman....you didn't even see him call the others to see if they needed help. I'm hoping he was on another planet or something, cause if he was on earth, what a waste
    Yes, that was exactly my point. Maybe Savage only planned to wreak havoc the day Superman was out of town, but there is a ton of other heroes that should have been able to deal with it just as effectively, and certainly better than the GL, MM & Flash team did. Did they need to break the Javelin and nearly kill Flash in the process? Earths's Mightiest Heroes? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by creeper
    People commented on diana figuring out about Batman's identity. But i think it was his reaction to it that was the most priceless. He didn't even flinch.
    Yes, all the Batman/ Wonder Woman stuff was pretty good. Makes me wish they would tone down the action and do more character stuff like this.

warmachine04 is offline No Evil Shall Escape My Sight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Maid of Honor" is just pure fun. It's good to see that WonderWoman has a life outside the Watchtower and even Batman (Bruce Wayne) does like the evening scene. The opening was great with Bruce Wayne taking it slow as WW stops a group of terrorists. I like it when they focused on WW character as being a wild party girl. Part 1 has a great well-paced story but it didn't hold out as well in Part 2. It's good to see Vandal Savage again and in this episode we get to see his origin and his abilities (survived a meteor impact, WOW). The dialogue is also great. Lots of humor and some nice action scenes in Part 2 cover up the storyline. I had my doubts of Flash been able to survive space but seeing him take revenge on Savage's men was definately worth it. I liked GL's role in the episode especially after saving Flash. Overall, "Maid of Honor" has some great moments but I doubt that tops previous Season 2 episodes. / 5

Squall is offline Calm Before The Storm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK episode, nothing special. Part 1 with Bruce and Diana was by far the best aspect of this arc, but there wasn't enough of it. Part 2 was just a little bit all over the place, and not terribly interesting. Mostly because the idea of a rail-gun in space isn't something even James Bond would take too seriously, and it certainly shouldn't be a credible threat to a planet guarded by heroes such as Superman and GL.
    Well, it was a credible threat only until the JL blew up the International Space Station (ISS). I think that Vandal Savage was betting that the JL wouldn't have the guts to blow up the ISS to save the planet, and risk bad PR by the countries who spent millions of dollars building it in the first place. I can see some countries wanting to negotiate with the terrorist, who was Vandal Savage.

I thought Part II kicked butt! I was never bored, lost, or confused the entire time.

Also, James Bond has had threats to international security much more inane and crazy than a rail gun in orbit.
    Favorites! (1) Action: Transformers & G.I. Joe; Visionairies; The DCAU; Robotech, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo & Trigun; TMNT, MOTU; and Avengers: EMH; (2) Comedy: The Simpsons & Futurama, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast & The Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, ATHF, The Boondocks, The Venture Bros., and Archer

Jor-El is offline Krypton is doomed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, once again I don't feel like writing something up, so I'm just gonna break it down like I did for TABULA RASA.

THE GOOD
    • Diana was mildly interesting.
    • Vandal Savage's origin is explained for those of you who didn't know it already.
    • Bruce Wayne appearing.
    • Diana knowing Bruce's identity.
    • J'Onn's shapeshifting being explored in a different manner than just this ability to disguise himself. I always think that that's drastically underplayed.
    • The dialogue seemed more natural than normal.
    THE BAD
    • I think that McDuffie's a super-nice guy, but I think his insistence on Bruce and Diana being together is just the single stupidest idea I've ever heard in my entire life. Enough with that garbage already.
    • Diana and Bruce as the primary Leaguers. I hate both of their characters on this show and the last thing I wanted was an episode that focused on them more than anyone else. Batman should be a recurring guest star in this League and that's it. I don't want to see him in another episode for awhile. I just pray that he's not in next week's Green Lantern episode.
    All in all, we could've had worse from a Wonder Woman-centric episode, but we also could've had an episode with more of a League presence; this felt just way too much like a really large-scale episode of "Batman" where Wonder Woman happened to have a larger role.
    "He will be that world's man of tomorrow." -Jor-El, Superman: Birthright #1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny E. McCall
    But Diana looked hot in that black dress! Excellent episode to me!
    This might help you keep the memory fresh in mind...
    http://www.geocities.com/la_bandido/

susan123 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maid of Honor Parts 1 & 2

Another hit from the long awaited Season 2 of Justice League. Princess Audrey (which I think might have been taken from Audrey Hepburn as Princess Audrey was like Princess Ann in Roman Holiday) was interesting as you first think she's just filler and not integral to the story. She turns out to be the best way of re-introducing Vandal Savage. When he turned around at that party, I thought "Oh No" Great to see Savage back again; I loved his origin story.

I also admired the directing in this episode. The scene in Part 2 where Wonder Woman is fighting the troops on the ground and Batman being shot down--you only heard the wedding march and then the vows of Savage and Audrey. That was a great touch to the episode. It was nice to see Flash not so much the comedy relief. When he spoke up for the captured space personnel and after GL's rescue how he just went and let the Kaznians have it--that showing the best side of Flash's character.

Being a romantic at heart I really loved the interaction between Bruce & Diana. It was nice to see them together. At the party when the terrorists tried to take over, Bruce didn't become Batman because he could see Diana had the situation handled perfectly well. I thought it was interesting that Bruce hasn't told the other members of the JL (except Clark of course) his identity. But I liked how the writers gave Diana some credit that she figured out Bruce's identity on her own. I think she won't tell anyone as she has seen the price of being known; the paparazzi bothering you wherever you go.

JL is getting better and better! Way to go team!
    Last edited by susan123; 10-18-2003 at 11:37 PM.

creeper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, that was exactly my point. Maybe Savage only planned to wreak havoc the day Superman was out of town, but there is a ton of other heroes that should have been able to deal with it just as effectively, and certainly better than the GL, MM & Flash team did. Did they need to break the Javelin and nearly kill Flash in the process? Earths's Mightiest Heroes? Come on.

Yes, all the Batman/ Wonder Woman stuff was pretty good. Makes me wish they would tone down the action and do more character stuff like this.

i agree....i love a good spot of violence now and again, but the parts that really stood out for me were the interactions. I think ever since that day batman clawed in the dirt to try to dig diana out and she saw the dirt on his gloves, she's been sweet on him. Bruce Wayne's interaction w/ her dictated the feelings were mutual. Too bad he goes all cold when he turns batty. But i guess that's what made his line so great.

MM, GL, and Flash really drop the ball. I don't think it was out of GL power to stop the meteor was it? I don't know. The only thing i liked about their speil is the dialouge between GL and Flash about saving the men on the station.
    I miss the good ol' days. Toon zone used to be really fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked the homage to ms monroe, "these really are a girls best friend." The diamond thing with wonder woman was cute!

Mister Intensity is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Adventures of the Hilton Sisters

Part One was simply fun and it was nice to see Diana meet a kindred spirit. I wonder what happened between scenes. The tribute to the trials and tribulations of celebrity was a nice touch. At least one person on staff knows how to write the Justice League version of Wonder Woman. Part Two was weaker and a little bit jarring with its transition to a more "traditional" super hero story, almost as if the other Leaguers were party crashers. The whole Rail Gun thing was a bit out there for an episode that started out relatively grounded. The whole Justice League vs. the Rail Gun battle dragged things down and while I liked Flash's retailation after he was retrived from space and I'll assume that a body that could protect itself from friction could possible survive a vaccum but his recovery from being in an environment without oxygen that quickly is not something I fully buy.

As a whole, I enjoyed this episode more than the last two episodes but I do think that both parts of an episode should make up a more satisfying whole.

Mister Intensity

The Detective is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Four Stars.

A really great episode, fantastic. An excellent return episode for Vandal Savage. I would have given it five except for a few little things which I'll cover. But first, the good stuff.

Seeing Bruce is great. JL S2 makes yet another excellent effort to meet some of us fan's desires by giving us Bruce out of costume. Despite that Diana has no secret ID it was still nice to see her going somewhere without the Wonder Woman suit. (like in Paradise Lost) Bruce is quite the ladies man even going after Diana. Oh and the end was hilarious when Diana figured out Batman's ID and he didn't even make a move. He probably figured it would happen sooner or later. I liked how Batman and Wonder Woman were the only ones in Part 1. Kinda of like in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD. If I hadn't read the spoilers I might have thought they were the only ones who were going to be in the whole arc. That said, I'm not sure if Green Lantern, Flash, and Martian Manhunter were really needed. GL did NOTHING except save Flash which I have a monsterous nitpick about. If Flash had really gotten sucked out in space he would have died instantly. It's not just the lack of air that gets you, it's the EXTREME temperatures (depending on where the sun was he would have frozen to death or boiled to death) It was great however, seeing Flash go all out on those guys and showing what he can do. They should have cut out GL and let J'onn and Flash go themselves. Oh, and it was funny seeing J'onn doing his Plastic Man impression. :anime:

Anyway he was a nice little spotlight for Diana. Her best spotlight so far. Even if the princess was a spoiled brat.

Savage was really imposing in this episode. It was a nice touch seeing him go after power, in a less direct way. At least at first. Nice origin too though it would have been nice if he had mentioned how he had lived down through the decades and we could have seen a bunch of clips strung together. Him with Napoleon, Alexander the Great, etc. etc. just to show what a driving force he has been throughout history. I did have a problem with a couple of his lines of dialouge. First, the whole "I'm on a TV screen broadcasting my demands to the world!" thing was a little cliched and when he pulled out his slips of paper and started to read "demand one" that also was a tad cringe worthy. It was pretty tongue in cheek though. I did think his, "Building a rail gun, taking over the throne, uniting the world" line was kinda funny. I'm glad they went ahead and said he was alive at the end.

But oh the rail gun! I thought it was a tad contrived. I mean,a giant laser maybe but something that shoots big asteroids? Just didn't really seem to pose a threat.

The one other thing I didn't like. The scenes of Batman and Wonder Woman fighting outside the castle while the wedding ceromony voiced over. Overly melodramatic.

A noble four star effort and a highly enjoyable episode. Four stars is nothing to be ashamed of and my problems with the episode for the most part affect only the grade, not my viewing pleasure.
    True friends stab you in the front. -- Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast