toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate "Zatanna" and Post your Comments

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

5 33.33%
  • ****1/2

2 13.33%

4 26.67%
  • ***1/2

1 6.67%

3 20.00%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

B:TAS "Zatanna" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Discuss this classic Batman: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #054 - Zatanna
    Original Airdate - February 2nd, 1993.

When the glamorous magician Zatanna is framed for a robbery during her act, Batman swings to her defense. Zatanna is grateful though a little puzzled by the Dark Knight's commitment to prove her innocence, but the two heroes unite and use the skills her father, Zatara, taught them to expose and combat an evil illusionist.

Comments?

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Prior to this episode, I really had no idea that Zatanna or Zatara even existed, much less as key players in the history of the DCU.

But here, the script condenses the mistress of magic into a lively women with a deep connection to Bruce Wayne's often difficult past. Their love, having come at a time when neither could really settle down into a permanent relationship, retains the same innocence when they are reunited during the course of this episode. If not for their careers, Bruce and Zatanna may have been able to improve upon what they once had. Unfortunate, to say the least.

Overall, though, the plot manges to keep itself away from becoming an emtional overdose thanks to the inclusion of a fun villain and thrilling climax. There was always something very "Rocketeer" about that airship, very much in line with the styling of the series. The animation wasn't always at it's best, if I remember correctly, but you can't hold it against a tale that pits the Dark Knight against magic for one of the first times in his career. Things don't get too hokey, and the ending brings us back to the bittersweet sepia tones of youth. First love really is magic.

DarkLantern is offline Keeping my promise
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved how Dini managed to slip in a little tribute to Zee's backward-spoken incantations.

DL
    http://www.fair.org/counterspin/: For the real news behind the news

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was surprised when those backwards incantations became the norm for the character in the Gotham Girls webtoons. I guess it's like the treatment of Etrigan.

Batman Guest
    I had alot of fun with this episode. It was great seeing a look into Bruce's past. I especially like the color tones they used in the flashback. We hear alot about Bruce's training and all the work he did to become what he is today, so it was nice to see that actually seen in this episode, even if it was somewhat breif. Plus, the relationship between Bruce and Zatanna was well done!

Catgirl is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the Zatanna/Bruce relationship. The whole first love thing. And I liked the fact that Bruce had kept tabs on her.

And heres hoping she might make and appearance in the animated comic or Justice League.
    FREEZE: 15 years today, darling. Did you think I would forget? How could I? The day we met was the happiest day of my life. A gift for you. I found it in the snow. Fragile beauty clinging to life in this frozen wasteland. Like you, Nora.

Frank White is offline R.I.P Notorious BIG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey did Batman and Zatanna have a relationship in the comics?
    If Batman keeps Anti-JLA files does his protégé write Anti-Young Justice recipes in his cookbook?

Catgirl is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank White
    Hey did Batman and Zatanna have a relationship in the comics?
    Aside from being team mates in the JLA? I'm pretty sure no. I'm 93% positive they didnt. But with Bats you never really know. I think TPTB thought he had enough tortured love affairs with non normal types (Talia, Selina, etc.)
    FREEZE: 15 years today, darling. Did you think I would forget? How could I? The day we met was the happiest day of my life. A gift for you. I found it in the snow. Fragile beauty clinging to life in this frozen wasteland. Like you, Nora.

Joker1238 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After seeing this, I have no problems with Batman's escape from Injustice from All lol.

Stu
    Stu is online now Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pick a card, I'll tell your future. Hmm... two of hearts?
    Joker.

Outstanding. Batman's romantic relationships were usually pretty dull in this show - Talia or Catwoman rarely offered interest, this was by far the best of them as they avoided the full on romance.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast