toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate This issue and Post Your Comments!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

5 33.33%
  • ****1/2

7 46.67%

2 13.33%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • **1/2

1 6.67%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Clayface is offline Molecularly Malleable Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Batman Adventures #4 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Featuring two exciting tales of the Dark Knight!

BATMAN ADVENTURES #4

WRITTEN BY: Ty Templeton and Dan Slott
    ART BY: Rick Burchett, Ty Templeton, and Terry Beatty
    COVER BY: Bruce Timm

THE STORY: Batman confronts an old foe — Ra’s Al Ghul — in a very old place: Easter Island! Plus, in the back-up story, see the World’s Greatest Detective squeeze info out of a bad guy in a scary but scientific way!

Comments?

"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself between the sounds
    And open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

"Be ashamed to die unless you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And so, the first arc comes to a close. I can't wait to see exactly what will unfold in this issue. It's reassuring to know that some things that have developped (Penguin as the mayor, Julie Madison, etc) will probably continue to exist in the series outside of their introduction in this first arc. It's nice when things don't always all come to an end at once...lose ends can be fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to wait till tomorrowor Friday to get it, so I won't reply to this thread again until after I read it. I don't want any surprises to be spoiled for me!

Jor-El is offline Krypton is doomed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wasn't really sure that this "arc" was coming to a close nor was I really sure that there was an "arc," [i]per se[i], even going on.

Great issue though. This is the kind of material I expect from such able story-tellers. Let's have more issues like this one!

Great to see Julie Madison too.

****½

GIVE ME MORE RIGHT NOW!
    "He will be that world's man of tomorrow." -Jor-El, Superman: Birthright #1

JTurner954 is offline Paradigm City, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    4 1/2 stars

This was the first issue where I wasn't a fan of the cover. It looked too slim for me to greatly enjoy it (Batman's head reminded me of a tilted diamond).

To be honest, it felt like I was reading one story instead of two small ones, but I like that. I'm also happy that Ra's didn't go the Bane route and try to weaken Batman so he can have an easier time defeating him. It also looks like there is more to this story that will be continued later on.

The artwork inside the issue (as always) was great, and the feel of the animated series was there so thanks for keeping that in tact. Special thanks for adding Robin to the first story. I wonder if Nightwing is going to show up anytime soon. The name "Deadshot" sounds familiar;was he that former police officer in the animated series? Even if I'm wrong, I'm looking forward to Issue #5 (BTW, this is the first time in over 8 years that I'm reading a current ongoing title).

One question for Dan Slott and Ty Templeton: Is there any chance you will be adding a letters page or an editorial to the books every once in a while? It's great that you guys respond here, but it would be cool if others who read the issues and don't subscribe to Toon Zone would be able to hear from you guys (IMO).

Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't really say what it was...

...I just didn't really care for this issue for some reason. Perhaps I was expecting more of a shocking plot line behind Ra's reason for sending people to kill Batman's foes--not just to help him out by having him have less villains to put away all the time. I don't know...it just seems "meh". I guess I was expecting some genious, intertwined plot to wrap it all up...but maybe I was just too hopefull for something that strong to come out of an animated title.

There some pluses--Robin and Batgirl make their first appearances, the "backup" story coming BEFORE the main story (I guess it was a "frontup", then? ), just to be different I guess, another odd thing was the art--up to part with the best of the best in the first three issues, but this one--first it was the top right panel on page eight--Batman was extremely odd looking...Bruce's facial expression on the top right panel on page 12, and the fact Talia looked slightly off-model (in her facial area that is. she just looked...younger).

So overall, I give this issue ** 1/2, just cause I didn't really enjoy it that much.

Quote Originally Posted by JTurner954
    4 1/2 starsThe name "Deadshot" sounds familiar;was he that former police officer in the animated series? Even if I'm wrong, I'm looking forward to Issue #5 (BTW, this is the first time in over 8 years that I'm reading a current ongoing title).
    Deadshot was the assassin sent to kill Aquaman in the Justice League 2-parter, "The Enemy Below". A shot of him on the cover of #5 is available by clicking here. Information on his JL appearance is available here.

-BB

(who thinks Bruce's head was a little small for his body on Page 18, top panel)
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

JTurner954 is offline Paradigm City, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aha, I knew I remembered that name from somewhere. Now I'm anticipating Issue #5 even more. "Lock Up" is the name of the guy I was thinking of, wasn't it?

BTW, I also agree about Ra's motives. Could of been better, but it was enjoyable enough (I liked Issue #3 more). I still think there's more to it though.

Batman Guest
    I was really glad to see more of Julie Madison. It's been a real treat to see her in the book, and it was great to see her here. Also, the little appearances by Robin and Batgirl were great, especially Robin. I like that Templeton and Slott are sort of taking their time with bringing back all the characters. They're not just splashing all the supporting characters down right away, but just taking their time. I didn't think we'd actually see Robin so soon.

I also really enjoyed the back-up, or front-up, really good. I think it made more sense to put it first, given the role it played in the storyline. There's no way it'd really work as a back-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks for the Preview Pages...

Woah...what kind of a grown women throws her hands up in the air and rants about how great she is? I didn't expect quite such a psychotic reaction from Julie. Maybe Burchett just went with a slightly over-dramatic pose...?

And definately nice to see Robin - our Robin (and not the TT version) - popping in.

Can't wait to pick this up!!! And kudos to the colorist for the very vibrant hues....the pages just pop out of the page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it was good, it was definately the best of the story arc in my opinion, but then I realized something these aren't just singular story arcs, something tells me this all leading into something big. And now that Ra's is finally behind bars, what will Talia do?

The Detective is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh the PP look good. The red eyes are creepy looking and the coloring looks top notch. Can't wait to pick this one up!
    True friends stab you in the front. -- Oscar Wilde

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

issue 4

I gave this issue five stars. Its easily my favorite in the series. The art was awsome and so was the story. The "front up" story was a great lead in. I was in cameo heaven! Robin, Julie, Batgirl, Alfred, Ubu, Talia, Ra's... its just wow!Maybe its just cause Im in a great mood because of issue seven but this issue rocked. No complaints.

TimTwoFace is offline Mod, and Minotaur Bait
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *SNIFF* My comic store didn't have any issues. They didn't even RECIEVE any, so I didn't even get the chance to be turned away after they were sold out - which is odd because I have an issue of this title reserved for me.

Argh, I hate it when comic shops don't pull through.

Glad to sounds really good, though.

-Tim
    CANADA

Pyro is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *Runs in dodging all the spoilers*
    I haven't even gotten #3 yet! Must... get... to comic store!
    "Quick, everyone! Into that abandoned factory! We'll be safe among the dangerous machinery!" ~ Fred Jones

James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As usual, my longer review will be put up later, but I'm just going to post up some breif comments.

I loved the artwork in this issue. I was blown away by Burchett's work this issue. I just found it to be so great and so perfect for the story's tone. The angles and perspectives that Burchett uses on the story really brings it out, and just pumps up the story some. The story itself, I found, to be very enjoyable. I'm going to have to re-read issues #1 - 4 to get the entire impact of the story, and the conclusion. I thought it was a great read, with an amazing "front-up" story.

More comments on the way soon!

Clayface is offline Molecularly Malleable Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I'd say this issue is not quite as good as #1 and 3, but definitely better than #2.

The "backup" was good - I enjoyed the method Batman uses to get the info he needs, and I was thrilled to see even a cameo of my favorite villian: Clayface! Yippee!

The main story was solid, but not quite as entertaining as previous issues. I loved the setting - I've always been a fan of Batman-around-the-world type stories in which Bats is out of his city. Seeing Ra's was excellent - he's another of my favorites. I actually got a kick out of his motivation for sending the assassins after Batman's rogues - it was twisted enough to make sense for Ra's. Seeing Talia shot was unexpected, and though the solution to her injury was a bit obvious and predictable, it was great to see her come out of the pit with the blood madness. Very cool. Especially seeing her take on Ubu and her own father. I also liked Batman's way of stopping her, and his comment about her ego. I was a little surprised to see Ra's be taken into custody so easily, but its not that big of a deal.

My only complaint about this issue is the art in the main story. I'm sorry, but Bruchett seems off in this issue, and it bugged me. The length of Batman's ears seem to change throughout the issue - and its not just because of the different angles he's at. The size of his head changes as well. Look at page 7, where Batman is standing outside the statue - his head seems almost a little too big for his body, and then on the very next page, third panel, his head is tiny compared to the size of his body. Panel 2 of page 9 bugs the heck out of me, since Batman's ears appear to be curved forward - you can't tell me that's "on model". There are a few panels where Talia's face looks way off as well (page 12 panel 4, page 19 panel 4, page 22 panel 3). I'm not trying to nitpick - these things stood out to me while reading the issue, and I'm just trying to give examples. That said, there were a few panels that stood out as excellent as well: page 6 panel 2, the Easter Island head statue on page 7, the use of highlights and shadows on Batman on page 10 (I love how Batman's ears blend into the darkness in the first panel), page 11 panel 3, Ra's pulling Talia from the pit on page 17, and Ra's face in panel 4 on page 20.

So overall, I'm going to give this one 4/5.

"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself between the sounds
    And open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

"Be ashamed to die unless you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

Marika Segal is offline Biggest animated Tim Drake fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally Robin in one BA issue & finally Burchett drew at least one picture of Robin in this issue, which I'm glad!! I thought it was very cool to see Robin flying the Bat plane or the "Bat Taxi" as Robin called it! HA HA!!! I wish they could have showed Robin mush more in this issue but I know they'll show more of Robin soon. Pretty cool plot. Now we see Talia pretty mush following her Dads foot steps when it comes to the green pit that keeps Gul alive. Like Dad, like daugter I guess.

I have to give ****1/2 stars at least pretty mush because I wish I could have seen Robin kick Ra's, Ubu & Tailas butt's! I hope the next issue that Robin will kick some major bad guy ass!
    Love&2Peace

Brainiac is offline You've forced my hand.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this issue was great. The whole reasoning behind Ra's "helping" Batman out was a little much, but then again, as Clayface mentioned, it was just twisted enough to work for Ra's...although in some way it reminded me of the B:TAS episode "Perchance to Dream," where the Mad Hatter was trying to make Batman happy...maybe not.

The artwork was phenomenal! This is some of the best work yet, and seeing Ra's drawn so defined and imposing just was an added bonus to the issue. I can't wait to see the effects of Ra's behind bars...what will Talia do? I'm happy that Batman finally seemed to be bitter and somewhat give up on Talia...she's screwed him over too many times, and her brand of twisted love is not what Bruce needs.

4 1/2 stars!

-Brainiac
    "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."
    -Roger Rabbit

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light."
    -Stanley Kubrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    maybe I was just too hopefull for something that strong to come out of an animated title.

I can understand why the word "animated" tends to make folks uncertain of the quality, but, come on...Bird Boy...don't you think things are much, much better than there were a year ago?

I'd like to majorly thank Clayface for unknowingly supporting me in my general lack of enthusiam towards Burchett's uneven art. Everything you pointed out is correct, pal - glad to hear I'm not the only one! There was also something really odd about the way he depicted Batman so differenly in his recent issue of Justice League Adventures, and here. While I suppose you could say "Different inkers - different art", there's something more to it. I don't know what his time in the mainstream did to him, but I'm not sure that I like it.

Still, despite her strange new face (much younger, and rounder - think B:TAS Babs with Selina's eyes) and lack of the signature face-eclipsing hair flip (I miss it - bring it back!!) I was pleased to see her get more time in this issue than I expected. Her treatment here, though, confirmed that Talia can only be depicted as one of two things: The sexy, capable, fighting machine on a mission, or the innocent Daddy's girl with a major crush on Bats. Personally, I'd prefer to see the two depictions merge into one coherent package, and we saw a little bit of that. I think Burchett's face lift made her look too much of the latter description, since at least the story tried to bring together her various qualities - fighter, lover and leader. I'm most especially interested in seeing where Talia will take her father's regime now that it's been left in her hands. Will she abadon ship? Try and free her Dad? Use the organization for better purposes? She's proven time and time again that she can go either way as far as supporting her father's dream...

..where will she go from here?

Nice issue, and I enjoyed the expressions on Bruce's face this time around. Still, can't we get Ty to pencil...? Pretty, pretty, pretty please?

I know he does the back-ups, but even there, there's too much "Terry Beatty" filling in the blanks. I think things should go back to the way they were ten years ago: Templeton as penciller and Burchett as inker.

Not going to happen - I know

Whatever. Things are definately building up....this series still needs some quick touch-ups, but it's very much on it's way...I still can't believe the amount of territory that's been covered so brilliantly up to this point...

...but Dan, didn't you promise us an appearance by a certain Ms. Kitty pretty soon...?

Ciao!

Joker85 is offline Clown Prince
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really, really enjoyed this issue. It was great to see Robin, Batgirl, and Julie Madison in brief cameo appearances. The backup being up front..I have a question, why not just make it one big 22 page issue. I mean, why even bother giving it a different title. There was basically one story in this issue, didn't feel like a backup at all, which is just fine with me. The art was great, as usual, and it's always nice seeing Ra's and Talia. His motives behind the attempted murder of Gotham's criminals was great, and actually made a lot of sense when considering the characters past actions. Definitely a great ending to the overall arc and I can't wait for the next one!
    " You always take shots from folks who just don't get the joke!"
    Joker- Mad Love

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast