toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate this Issue and Post Your Comments

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll

21 67.74%
  • ****1/2

5 16.13%

4 12.90%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

1 3.23%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Batman Adventures #1 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    The new adventures of Batman kicks off in this all new animated comic series!

BATMAN ADVENTURES #1

Written by: Ty Templeton and Dan Slott
    Art by: Rick Burchett, Terry Beatty and Templeton
    Cover by: Bruce Timm

The busiest day of Batman's life begins here, as someone breaks into Arkham Asylum, intent on hunting down everyone from the Joker to Poison Ivy. Batman must protect and recapture his biggest foes all at the same time - even though he's just been outlawed by Gotham's surprising new mayor. Plus, in the 5-page backup story, find out who Batman's hero is.

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Damn it! I have to order this online! The sorrow, the sorrow. Anyway the first few pages are kind of blurry, I guess I'll be needing glasses. Screw that, I'm getting contacts! But from what I see, it looks awesome and great art although Joker looks a bit odd.

Salvor is offline You can't take a picture of it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Strangely enough, my local comic book store already had this issue on Wednesday... not that I'm complaining! What a great comic. The main story just blew me away. Seeing Batman chased by the police again made me nostalgic, characterization (for every single Arkham inmate) was awesome - which is quite a relief after Peterson's run! The whole story just felt like a terrific dark Batman story again, the kind of which we're used to back in the good old Templeton/Burchett days.

And Ra's is behind all this?? Gee I have NO clue why he'd plan such a mess...

As for the backup story, I liked it a lot, although it was a bit frustrating. Such a great idea, and only 5 pages devoted to it... this is the kind of character-driven story that deserves 22 pages, even a whole 4-issue story arc! And I liked the fact that for the first issue, one part of the comic delved into Batman's origin.

I haven't mentioned the art yet... well Ty IS the Guy and Rick IS the Man! wow I just loved every single panel... especialy that last scene with the police, when Batman sends Gordon "a message". It felt like an incredibly well directed movie sequence (Ra's men taking off on one side, Batman in the police searchlight on another side, and of course the police down there... what a climax!)

The design changes... well not sure I agree with all of them. I liked blue Two-Face more. I thought it fit better in the animated style. Oh well, I'll just have to get used to purple. I'm not a big fan of Batman's JL costume either. Some nice changes though: Joker looks terrific (nice mix between TNBA and ROTJ), and Scarecrow looks even spookier without any disguise!

5 stars. Well deserved!

Cyber E. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Batman: Adventures #1 (SP0IL3R'S!!1)

A new topic, right. O_o;

I found this issue to really surprise me, mainly because the fact that the plot has many twists that can go on for more than a few issues, unlike B:GA which had many single issue stories. And that is a very good thing, since you can have a much better outcome for future issues and can really work with the stuff you've got.

So, Oswald Cobblepot is the mayor and Batman is now an outlaw, that is a brillant way to begin the series. It was nice to see Alfred sorta helping Batman out and he was the only hero. Given I like his little "group" but sometimes it just needs to be the Dark Knight. Two-Face helping Batman was a big surprise and genius move by Bats. And Ras Al Ghul behind it all? BUT WHY??

The art was really very good, it was very different from the Batman: Gotham Adventures Batman and seemed to be more like the Justice League: TAS version while keeping a TNBA style. The villains ranged from good to bad. Poison Ivy looked certainly...nice. While Joker was simply awful, he didn't even look insane...just weird.

However, the really bad thing about this book was the back-up. No, the story nor the art were bad, just the fact that it was there. I do not not like this new set-up at all, 16 pages of regular story and 5 pages of some small story, I just think it's taking up space while not getting enough at the same time. It has some premise, but it should be more evened out.

While the Batman: Adventures book as some downsides (Logo, Set-Up) it had twice as many good parts. So I'll give this baby Five Stars.

-aJb

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For those still wondering whether or not to pick up this issue, check out the new Dan Slott Interview on Toon Zone News.

I'll add my more in-depth, longer, review later, but for now, here's my condensed review. This issue was nearly flawless. Not only was the story great, and the artwork fabulous, but I'm really enjoying the new two-story format. I was worried it would cramp the stories, but that fear was immediately washed away when I sat down and read this issue a few days ago. The entire creative teams goes the whole nine yards with this issue. This issue was full of genuine surprises, especially the doozy about Poison Ivy, and has provided a great new status-quo for Batman, The Penguin, and the GCPD.

This series could end up being the definitive Batman Adventures series. I can't wait for issue #2 on May 21st.

Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhh...man I loved this issue. What was there not to love? The art, the story, the...just wow. It took me roughly 5 minutes to get through this, which, for a comic, is a rather long amount of time--and that was just the main story! No big splash pages of the like that plagued B:GA in it's last issues, it was alot of story, talking and just packed alot of punch. And the backup story? Awesome....

I gotta give a huge "kudos!" to the whole team on the issue...it was nothing short of perfect.

-BB
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For many, many months I have anticipated the release of this comic, and now that the day has come, I am extremely pleased to share my opinion of it.

Batman Adventures #1

After just having read it through for the first time, I must say I feel a little dizzy. So much has changed for Batman, and yet, so much remains the same. Cobblepot as Mayor was a brilliant move, as was using the ensuing chaos as a way to introduce the readers to all the different characters. We had our first look of the Scarecrow underneath the mask, a bit of an explanation as to why Ivy has become something other than what she once was in "Pretty Poison", as well as the news that Joker has been rendered somewhat harmless. There are so many good things to say! But first, there are things I need to get off my chest.

Rich Burchett's artwork was far from flawless. His angular lines gave the figures a jagged quality that visually complicated already chaotic panels. Batman's legs when he first appeared in his jet-pack were stiff and stretched. Joker's expressions were nicely done, but all that crosshatching in shaded areas made the artwork seem hurried and rushed. Half-completed lines (see Gordon's face in last panels of lead story) really didn't add to the scene. Basically put, my favorite Burchett issues (Gotham Adventures' #10 and #11) still surpass this one. The artwork made the story hard to follow for me, which was a disappointment. Ironic as this may sound, I'm wondering how Levins would have handled this. Then again, with only 17 pages to tell a full story, more than four panels a page may take some getting used to. I hope Burchett's work on future issues uses more curving lines. Otherwise, this is going to be too frantic an arc for my eyes, I fear. Still, nice job on the new Jonathan Crane. On the other hand, though, Two-Face looked horrible. The cover clearly depicts him as in B:TAS style. It would be nice if Burchett didn't then depict him in his much worse, TNBA style.

Lee Loughridge really should have noticed his several miscolorings of Two-Face (pages 10 and 12) and corrected them. This is the first issue, and I was really hoping the coloring errors that plagued B:GA would be a thing of the past. Thankfully, everything else seemed really nice (this is no Superman Adventures!), accept for Arkham's green walls (why color them the same as the inmates' outfits?), the one-color panels in the back-up story (Bruce studying science, Bruce seeing the Bat,etc - something more could have been done with those, I feel), and the lack of consistancy between the cover and the inside material. Ivy has white skin and Two-Face has blue skin, right? Nope. Green and purple. I like both pairs, but just pick one and stick with it, please.

As for the plot, Templeton and Slott created a great introductory tale, with clever links to Bat's life (no longer having 'asylum' with the Commish) and a wonderful mix of character-interaction (Ivy and Harley and drugged up Joker and Harvey, etc). The Croc joke was priceless! I don't feel the art did the story justice though. This was a large-scale action-packed drama, and it looked too choppy to help the tale flow. After reading a few pages, though, the story started to become really "shocky". Look - Ivy's been stabbed! No! Harley's attacking an Assassin! Look Ivy's Alive! It was too much, too fast. For this reason, I feel the back-up story was superfluous. It was a cute recap of Batman's life (very Batman and Superman Magazine-esque) but the introduction and defeat of the Cavalier happened in a matter of two pages. I hadn't even gotten over the idea of meeting him for the first time before Batman came in and tied him up. And the "You're Not Zorro - That Job's been taken!" seemed a bit far-fetched coming from the Dark Knight. He'd only make that association between himself and his childhood hero if he had become really emotional, and I sincerely doubt the Cavalier caused such an emotional impact. Besides, isn't the Grey Ghost Batman's main hero? It seems redundant to mention every masked fighter Bruce ever associated himself with. So basically, the last four pages were disappointing. And those flashback scenes in the theatre looked more "Beatty" than "Ty". I would have much preferred to have some kind of breather during the main story. Why exactly did Batman throw a bomb at the Rogues? He blew part of the building open, and protected only himself and Croc. I'm a little lost on that one...

So, all in all, I'd have preferred something slower, but at least this is truer to the source material than Peterson's Adventures ever were. I look forward to the coming years, and thank the team behind all this from the bottom of my Bat-heart

P.S. I brought my friends along with me for Free Comic Book Day, but they wouldn't pick this one up. The said it looked too "kiddy". The logo's got to go.

Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy

P.S. I brought my friends along with me for Free Comic Book Day, but they wouldn't pick this one up. The said it looked too "kiddy". The logo's got to go.
    They...wouldn't pick up a free comic book? that doesn't make any sense. The logo's not the greatest, but anyone who won't pick it up based on it's "kiddy" look needs to mature a bit themselves.

...and I'm not defending the logo, I still think it's wacko looking, but it's hardly enough to make me not want to pick it up, especially since it's free.

-BB
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

The Detective is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I competely forgot it was FCBD. ANd the nearest comic shop is two hours away. alas. I'm just worried tht books a million won't carry this title. I sure hope they do.
    True friends stab you in the front. -- Oscar Wilde

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yah, well they both decided to pick up Ultimate X-Men instead. Go figure.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast