toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate this Episode and Post Your Comments

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll

2 5.41%
  • ****1/2

2 5.41%

6 16.22%
  • ***1/2

4 10.81%

6 16.22%
  • **1/2

5 13.51%

3 8.11%
  • *1/2

3 8.11%

3 8.11%
  • 1/2

3 8.11%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Static Shock "Toys In The Hood" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    The Man of Steel teams up with Dakota's hero in this all-new adventure, airing at 10:30am (ET) today.

Episode #39 - Toys In The Hood
    Original Airdate - May 3rd, 2003.

Static teams up with Superman when the Man of Steel's old nemesis, Toyman, arrives in Dakota on a kidnapping scheme.

Comments?

Frank White is offline R.I.P Notorious BIG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some initial reactions...

I'm glad Clark Kent is still "alive". I know there was some speculation that he was being Superman 24 hrs.

Is it just me or is Static/Superman more natural than Batman/Static. Maybe it's just Supes personality...

Toyman's voice is off.

I'm assuming Superman has been tracking Toyman, because it's odd he would just pop up when Static called for help.

Superman has blue eyes? I prefer his S:TAS black eyes
    Last edited by Frank White; 05-03-2003 at 10:58 AM.
    If Batman keeps Anti-JLA files does his protégé write Anti-Young Justice recipes in his cookbook?

tphile is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How does Static know about the Fortress of Solitude?
    Isn't that supposed to be a secret?

bat313 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The plot was kinda lame like the other superhero static cross overs (though A League of their own was alright) but the best part was seeing Superman. His old deisign is back and better then ever!! And Newborn is finally getting the hang of doing Superman's voice right!! I'm very much looking forward to the new season of justie league becuase of all this.
    I don't have much to say about the episode becuase i don't like the idea of Darci beign so evil, i don't remember her being evil in Obsession, and i having much more of a personalitly too. I seriously doubt Toyman would need such huge and "superman inviting" toys to capture a girl in highschool. Plus, how creepy was the notion that toyman wanted to spend the rest of his live with a little highschool girl????? Two words, Stupid writting.
    And lets not foget the stupid music. The commercial even had the real superman music, so why couldnt the show!!!!!!!!!! It's all so agrivating i just want to go back to sleep. I love static shock as a character, but the writers need to take some lessons and stop forcing cross overs, its' just upsetting both fans,
    But thats just my two cents anyway,

Frank White is offline R.I.P Notorious BIG
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tphile
    How does Static know about the Fortress of Solitude?
    Isn't that supposed to be a secret?
    It's not a secret, Angela Chen mentioned it in Bizzaro's World
    If Batman keeps Anti-JLA files does his protégé write Anti-Young Justice recipes in his cookbook?

Drachentöter is offline Good night. And good luck.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhhhh!

WB CONKED OUT ON ME IN THE MIDDLE. I didn't get to see most of the episode!!!

I'll comment on what I saw.

I love Superman's new design. Blue eys are good and it's preferable to....two black dots. The return of Clark Kent is also very welcome. Nice use of X-ray vision with Gear's ankle.

Unfortunately, the music blew. It just did not fit Superman at all. His theme was...mangled. Also, dialogue was pretty childish. Especially whatever Superman said when throwing the bus.

The little I saw of Toyman didn't seem all that special. I recall reading about his episodes in STAS, and I expected a much more sinister character. This guy sure is crafty, but not especially disturbing. The Darcy-Daisy plot seemed kind of cliche too.

I can't give it a rating, because I did not see the whole episode. Could someone please tell me if it will air again soon? Also, could someone tell me what happened at the end? To top it all off, family matters tore me away from the TV in the last five minutes. What happened to Daisy, Darcy, and Toyman?
    "But what is the difference between literature and journalism? Journalism is unreadable and literature is not read. That is all." - Oscar Wilde

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Love truth, and pardon error." - Voltaire

aftertheomega.blogspot.com

Drachentöter is offline Good night. And good luck.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank White
    It's not a secret, Angela Chen mentioned it in Bizzaro's World
    I wasn't aware he actually had a Fortress of Solitude in animated continuity. Was it ever seen in STAS?
    "But what is the difference between literature and journalism? Journalism is unreadable and literature is not read. That is all." - Oscar Wilde

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Love truth, and pardon error." - Voltaire

aftertheomega.blogspot.com

Mister Intensity is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wasn't too crazy about Darci's scheme but I did like the interaction between Superman and Static. It kind of makes sense that Darci would turn to Toyman for help, remember when he last saw Darci, she was carrying Toyman in a suitcase. Darci wasn't exactly a goody-goody, you know. More than anything, she wanted to be human and she would do anything to be human.

However, the scheme itself was absurd. While I could understand Toyman being attracted to a teenage girl or even younger (let's face it, it's implied that his maturity, including his sexual maturity, is stunted), why would Darci want to be a teenager. If anything, she would probably want to be a fashion model, like she was before she went on the run.

I do agree that the giant toys made things too obvious. Smaller robots could have accomplished the same thing. The paddle with the growing ball stretched things a bit much for me. The end solution was also a bit lame. I buy the bit about auras but shouldn't Daisy-Darci have an aura as well, even though it wouldn't be the same one as the real Daisy's.

Overall, this episode failed at the level of plot, I do feel that everyone was in character (Darci was never really a good girl to begin with, remember, she was programmed by Toyman). The character interaction was well done but the overall scheme was hard to buy. Toyman's voice did lose a lot of its creepiness which weakened Toyman in my opinion.

I really hope that that Animated Toyman is used in a Batman story one of these days. There's a good Batman-Toyman confrontation storyline somewhere.

Mister Intensity

stwasm is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was good seeing the old design back on Superman -- although I STILL have a problem with no gold "S" on the back of the cape.

His blue eyes were a little creepy, but a nice touch. Yes, I agree that the music was corny. The story itself, I thought, was kinda lame.

Also, did anyone else have a problem with WB losing its signal during the episode? I live outside of Washington, DC, and right at the point of Daisy getting ready to introduce Clark Kent to the teacher, my station lost the signal for five minutes!!!! It didn't come back until Superman and Static were together searching for clues. Did I miss anything?

It also was nice to see Superman continuing to be trusted by citizens after the "Legacy" episode. I can't wait to see how the Justice League wraps up this loose end in the new season.
    "Luck. That's what it all boils down to, doesn't it? The smallest break one way or another. It can change a life or destroy it. And you can't fight it. No matter how strong you are."

"I believe the man that you're looking for is the same man who beat Samuel here 'til he cried like a little girl."

"Well, I've certainly got to hand it to you for the meticulous care with which you have executed your finely-formulated machinations in extricating us from this devastating dilemma."

tphile is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexInfinite
    I wasn't aware he actually had a Fortress of Solitude in animated continuity. Was it ever seen in STAS?
    Yes it began as the "intergalatic zoo" zoo craft in Main Man
    he brought it back and said "this has possibilities"
    Supergirl used it to operate the Superman robot in Legacy
    and we saw it again in the JL episode of Batman Beyond

not the Krypton built home base or the Giant door and key versions

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast