toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate "The Cat and the Claw" & Post Your Comments!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

4 26.67%
  • ****1/2

0 0%

7 46.67%
  • ***1/2

2 13.33%

1 6.67%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Penguin is offline 'Don't call me that!'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

B:TAS "The Cat and the Claw, Parts 1 & 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Discuss this classic two-part Batman: The Animated Series episode here!

Episode #013 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1
    Original Airdate - September 5th, 1992 - Series Premiere.
    In the midst of Catwoman being attracted to Batman, and Bruce to her alter-ego, Selina Kyle, Catwoman discovers evidence of a military facility inside a mountain on a future resort site. As it turns out, the cartel involved is fronting for an international terrorist group headed by Red Claw, a mysterious female terrorist.

Episode #016 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 2
    Original Airdate - September 12th, 1992.
    Red Claw and her terrorists put their plans into motion, stealing a virulent strain of plague which they use to hold the city for ransom. Meanwhile Catwoman infiltrates the terrorists' under mountain headquarters, not realizing what she's getting into. When Batman follows her there, they're both captured, trussed up, and left to die as victims of the viral plague.

Comments?
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    First episode I ever saw. I could tell right away that I was in for a series that was better than all action cartoons before it. It was also the first time I reckognized how 'old style' the technology of Gotham City was, especially the clothing and cars. And it's funny that at the same time all this 'old style' stuff is happening, they're talking about the threat of Bioterrorism form a terrorist group. How modern is that!?!

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Cat and the Claw, Part 1" airs tonight

Tonight at 12 midnight ET, Boomerang airs the Batman: The Animated Series episode, The Cat and the Claw, Part 1. This is according to the Boomerang TV schedule which we hope is correct. If you do not have Boomerang, you are encouraged to follow along on disc 3 of your Batman: The Animated Series, Vol. 1 DVD set.

Episode #013 - The Cat and the Claw, Part 1
    Original Airdate - September 5th, 1992 - Series Premiere.

In the midst of Catwoman being attracted to Batman, and Bruce to her alter-ego, Selina Kyle, Catwoman discovers evidence of a military facility inside a mountain on a future resort site. As it turns out, the cartel involved is fronting for an international terrorist group headed by Red Claw, a mysterious female terrorist.

Comments?

The talkbacks are currently being bumped on a trial basis and will continue based on poster interest.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Batman Fan is offline Batarang Attack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This thread is begging for some talkback

Anyways, this part is definetly superior to part two. I mean, this is supposed to be the introduction to Catwoman, and they waste it on the Red Claw plot, so Catwoman becomes kinda like the sub-plot in part two. Honestly, if part one got rid of the Red Claw stuff, added more of Batman and Catwoman chasing each other and flirting and stuff, this episode would've been better and no need for a second part.

It started off good, Catwoman sneaking around and stealing something, running into Batman and then that beautiful rooftop chase. Seriously, the beginning of this episode is the highlight. The animation is great, seeing Batman and Catwoman pull of these amazing tricks, and mini cat fight between her and Batman, and each other's reactions! And I enjoyed seeing Isis follow them around too:anime:

The rest isn't all bad though. Bruce's infatuation with Selina was nice to see, and Selina's infatuation with Batman. Catwoman doing some recon work in Red Claw's hideout was pretty cool as well, seeing her sneak around and stuff, very cat-like. And the ending where Batman saves her was a nice touch too.

Other than that, the Red Claw stuff was crap. But, they started out right introducing Catwoman, but after about the first 5 minutes, with the exception to a few more scenes the rest of this episode fails as does part two.

***1/2
    I am Vengeance, I am the Night, I AM BATMAN!

JTolliver is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Selina Deserved Better!!!!

"The Cat and The Claw" in it's entirety is a good example of how Timm and Dini's handling of the Catwoman/Selina character, in B:TAS, was more often than not horrendously botched throughout the entire 3 Seasons:

"The Cat and The Claw" two parter started with a brilliant introduction to the Catwoman character, she stealthily nabbed some jewelry, fought/flirted and played chasey with Batman then kissed him and escaped. Then we got to see a Selina/Bruce mutual attraction get started. But Alas from there on in "The Cat and The Claw" succeeded in dropping the ball, crapping all over itself, and turning up naked to the party, case in point: a lame villian in "The Red Claw" (Who is she supposed to be The Red Skulls sister???) and Catwoman ALLOWING BATMAN TO ARREST HER AND SUBSEQUENTLY DISCOVER HER TRUE IDENTITY WTF!!!, WERE TIMM AND DINI HIGH OR SOMETHING???, CATWOMAN WOULD NEVER DO THAT IT'S JUST ABOUT THE MOST UNCATWOMANLIKE THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!.

Catwoman's handling in the episodes that followed "TC&TC" was fairly underwhelming, in fact more often than not she was little more than a wide eyed, damsel in distress,

in "Cat Scratch Fever" she was subdued by a toxin and lay unconcious waiting for Batman to get an antidote,

in "Tyger Tyger" she was turned into a literal "Catwoman", Dr. Moreau style, and sat in a jungle pen waiting for Batman to do something,

Her cameo in "Perchance to dream" was kinda fun if only for it's implication that Selina was truly Bruce's dream lover whom he'd marry if things were different,

"Almost Got'im" was somewhat a turn for the better with Catwoman displaying her deserved toughness and ability as she narrowly saved Batman from being fried crispy, whilst taking out Joker's goons, only to once again end up bound and helpless, on a conveyor belt rolling toward a mincer!!!.

"Batgirl Returns" was another improvement as Catwoman fought alongside Batgirl and Robin then double crossed the pesky kids and escaped, YAY!, only problem: WHERE WAS BATMAN AT???, LAME!!!.

"Catwalk", in my mind, was the only truly flawless Catwoman episode in the entire B:TAS series, it had everything a Bat/Cat story should have, plus CATWOMAN ESCAPED, YAY!!!, this was the one time Timm/Dini got Catwoman PERFECTLY RIGHT!!!, which is a shame because the character had so much potential, a soft, sexy visualisation both as Catwoman and as Selina and a sultry, seductive voice actress. The only other thing that annoyed me was the blonde hair, must've bin a "Batman Returns" tie in or something.

In fact I'll go as far as saying that "The Batman"'s handling of Catwoman/Selina is better than B:TAS's handling, sure the voice isn't as good, but she has managed to elude Batman on every occassion and keep her identity a secret even after meeting Bruce as Selina, AND she has long raven hair, FINALLY!!!.

END RANT, Thoughts???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One thing I hated was that Bruce Timm and Team still used the Batman returns designs for Catwoman and Pangy. I never liked Catwoman as a blond, it is just a little nit pick of mine.

Another small probem I have is it seems hard for any cartoon to make a soley Catwoman episode. Most of the episodes of Batman TAS she is ether a victom or has to share the spot light with someone else. The closest was The Batman's Cat an d the Bat but it turned into a toy ad for the middle part of the episode. Another small nitpick.

Besides those two little nitpicks I loved this episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creativerealms
    One thing I hated was that Bruce Timm and Team still used the Batman returns designs for Catwoman and Pangy. I never liked Catwoman as a blond, it is just a little nit pick of mine.
    I believe they were forced to. I can't direct you to them, but I recall seeing some B:TAS concept art that was more respectful to the comic roots of both The Penguin and Catwoman.

Azrael24 is offline why?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    how i wish i had boomerang! i bearily remember anything about this episode, but i do remember selina meeting bruce.

i agree with JTolliver, the batman's selina kyle is great, i cant wait to see more of her tomorrow . and TNBA selina kyle was . hated the short black hair!! reminded me of my mom's friend who i hate .

Batman Fan is offline Batarang Attack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wasn't too wild about the Red Claw sub-plot and part two turned it into the main plot. The started with a great introduction to Catwoman and ruined it with the Red Claw stuff. Secondly, Batman and Catwoman teamed up. It was way to early for that, Catwoman should be a villan and on her first appearence, she works with Batman.

Those problems aside, the episode wasn't all that bad. The fight on top of the train was really cool and an interesting place for a fight. The ending fight scene with all those wonderful explosions was nice to see as well and Red Claw vs. Catwoman was expected as well. However, I thought Catwoman should have faired better.

Aside from the that, Red Claw just bored me With the plague and trying to kill Selina, it just wasn't that interesting.

**1/2 (I think I gave it a three on the poll though)
    I am Vengeance, I am the Night, I AM BATMAN!

Caswin is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Worst deathtrap ever. Seriously. I understand it's come to be accepted fare, having the hero at your mercy only to use an elaborate deathtrap (I've always preferred on-the-fly deathtraps like in The Clock King, myself), but this was sad. Tie up two escape artists, back-to-back, leave their weapons with them, and as the obligatory slow finisher, the very thing you're using to threaten the city? Bleah.

That said, outside of The Worst Deathtrap Ever, I must agree with the sentiment that this was a weak episode. Two more things of note: First, the big escape sequence... it kind of dragged. I don't know why. It shouldn't have. But it did. And I know this isn't The Batman, but really, can we have a Catwoman-Red Claw fight that doesn't consist entirely of Red Claw kicking her?

The finale did have some semblance of a grand... thing... oh, who am I kidding. Not good. Waste of not one but two perfectly good episodes.

2.5/5
    "There's no need to tread lightly upon my feelings. I'm the first one to admit that Superman is my arch-enemy, and that he alone stands between me and my goal - but I shall find a way to deal with him..." - Lex Luthor, Atom Man vs. Superman

(Well, it was worth a go.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast