toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate "I've Got Batman In My Basement" & Post Your Comments!

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll

4 10.00%
  • ****1/2

2 5.00%

1 2.50%
  • ***1/2

4 10.00%

3 7.50%
  • **1/2

3 7.50%

5 12.50%
  • *1/2

5 12.50%

6 15.00%
  • 1/2

7 17.50%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

B:TAS "I've Got Batman In My Basement" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Discuss this "classic" Batman: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #012 - I've Got Batman In My Basement
    Original Airdate - September 30th, 1992.

While attempting to regain a stolen Faberge Egg from the Penguin, Batman is sprayed with nerve gas by the fowl fellow. Now unconscious, Batman is rescued by a 12-year-old aspiring detective who hides him in his basement. It's up to the precocious kid to figure out how to revive the comatose crime fighter before the Penguin finds him.

Comments?
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

TimTwoFace is offline Mod, and Minotaur Bait
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't hate this episode like most. I think it's very...average. The two kids finding Batman and dragging him into their basement is a bit of a stretch, but at least it's written well enough.

The last act of the episode bothers me, though. It seems like a cheap HOME ALONE parody, and, the creme de la creme - the Penguin vs. Batman with a screwdriver.

*SHUDDER*

3 stars, tops.

-Tim
    CANADA

Joker Jr is offline The clocks struck thirteen.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    IMO this is one of the worst episodes of BTAS because it is so annoyingly far fetched and it doesn't even have decent action sequences. Batman Vs. The Penguin with a screwdriver, I mean come on, this is not the dark hero that we know and love.

1/2

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Worse character introduction episode...ever. The Penguin deserved so much more, so much better, than this episode. Yes, I can understand why Fox Kids would want such an episode like this, with the kids in the forefront, but...wow...an episode that could've been so much better.

And the screwdriver/sword fight between The Penguin and Batman could arguably be the worst scene in the entire series.

Stewie is offline Just now getting into Donovan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Despite all the bad things I've heard, I remember liking this episode. Of course, I was ten or twelve when I saw it, so it was probably supposed to appeal to me.
    I generally don't like it when shows are forced to go out of their way to appeal to a certain audience just so someone else can sell more toys.
    I'll have to see this episode again to really judge it.
    Deadbolt that frakin' door!

Last night I killed a spider.
    I think he'll never forgive me.

Manhunter is offline Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, Penguin got a few good episodes in the Fox episodes. Neither of them were "I've Got Batman in My Basement".
    "No man escapes the Manhunters!"

Batgirl is offline Dark Damsel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did I read correctly? Did you say that Cartoon Network is really bringing back Bats?!?!?
    "In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." -Aragorn's parting words to Arwen

Mattashell is offline Before punk,there were NUGGETS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Episode:

I've Got Batman In My Basement is considered one of the worst B:TAS and it is. But there are a few nice things to be said about it.

The series was getting too serious to be in a kiddie time slot, and kid-targetted episodes like this were necessary.

The bullies were funny and the kid detectives showed inginuity in finding the crime scene, helping Batman, Operating the Batmobile, solving the "visor capsule" mystery, defending thier house and ultimately reviving Batman.

Since this was produced when TNBA was probably not even a glimmer in Bruce Timm's eye, it would have been clever if "Sherwood"'s name was not mentioned in the episode, and in the end we learn his name was Jason or Tim. I'm half surprised they didn't.

In spite of the good pionts, it is still pretty lame and weak. The Home Alone similarities and screwdriver/swordfight are both good pionts, not to mention the introduction of the Batman Returns design of Penguin, with the archaic bird/umbrella obsession of yesteryear.

I'm partial to B:TAS over TNBA on almost everything except one point, and that one point is The Penguin. From his character design to his personality to his exploits, everything Penguin was an improvement in the world of TNBA.

Note: this is rally nothing, but in the "Talkback Threads Collection" this episode is listed as "I've Got A Batman in My Basement" which is incorrect, but it really doesn't matter. Hardly worth pointing out.

**1/2

I'm contributing the "Silver Surfer Rebooted" fanfic to the Marvel Rebooted website.

Check out Guttertown Massive on Facebook and Tubmblr.

murmur is offline Loud whispers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why this episode doesn't suck

I watched this episode on the Vol. 1 DVD the other day and found myself asking...

Why the heck are so many people against this episode?

So, I'm gonna see if I can break it down and give counterpoints to all the major complaints people have, which is difficult because the talkbalk for this eppie isn't exactly "Doomsday Sanction" length, which in turn means that most people have complained about this episode somewhere other than here. But here goes:

Kids as the protagonists? Please, they just made this episode to please the network demographics.

I suppose its possible that they tried to make the series more relatable to kids, but how exactly is that a bad thing? Not an ounce of this episode is dumbed down, especially when it comes to Penguin's vocabulary. The plot might be a little contrived, but then almost every B:tAS episode is contrived. We love them anyway because the characters are interesting and, as is the case in this episode, the scenes usually unfold logically given the premise. The episode is most certainly accessible to adults, and the kids' POV helps it be accessible to kids too (not to mention educational, what with all of Penguin's SAT words). That should be a positive.

It's too much like Home Alone.

And I suppose Maculay Culkin (sp.?) has a monopoly on children being brave in the face of criminal danger? That's about all they have in common. Stylistically, this episode is NOTHING LIKE Home Alone. The latter is a slapstick farce, where a little boy defeats two inept criminals. In this episode, the danger is very real, and might I remind everyone that the kids do not defeat the Penguin. They manage to get him wrapped up for about 2 seconds, which is still quite a feat, but a far cry from the ridiculous should-be-lethal humiliations that little Kevin puts Joe Pesci through in Home Alone. They manage to distract and delay Penguin and co. before they can bring Batman around, nothing more. Sherwood is a very likable, intelligent kid who gets a once-in-a-lifetime chance to help out his idol. [Heavy sarcasm]Oh nooooo, such silliness must not be tolerated.[/heavy sarcasm]

A screwdriver? How ridiculous!

Would you have preferred a machete to be lying around in the cellar the kids play in? Batman grabs what's handy. Penguin has absolutely no chance against Batman in a fair fight, so the situation makes for more genuine danger. Batman defeats his opponent after just regaining consciousness with a makeshift, inferior weapon. I think that's far more impressive than your average smackdown with batarangs and punches. And it's not a stretch that Batman wins either, since his strength and adrenaline clearly outmatch his attacker. If you have specific complaints about the choreography, well fine--I suppose I didn't pay enough attention to argue--but the mere fact that a household tool is used effectively isn't a problem in my book. In fact, it's unique and clever.

This episode is a terrible introduction for the Penguin.

Okay, this point has some merit. I concede that an episode where most of the hero POV is not Batman is a strange choice for the introduction to a classic villain. But if, for just a second, you can put your objections to the kids aside, you might notice that Penguin is introduced as a unique character with quirks to offset his intelligence, and most importantly, he is a genuine threat to Batman. He nearly offs our hero in the first act, and might well have finished the job without outside interference. Of course, he has to pull off a rather dirty surprise attack to do it (poisonous missiles don't strike me as fair play) but then that's in Penguin's character. He considers himself above mundane means of dispatching like guns, but could never take out the Bat without some underhanded methods. His high level of intellectualism is perfectly offset by his major failings in common sense, mostly in relation to his outrageous arrogance. He loses because he has no respect for Batman or most any other opponent, and it is fitting that children help take him down.

Now, if you have an objection to the whole "Batman Returns" image, that's a separate matter, but it really has nothing to do with the episode itself.

Where are the big action scenes?

If you need Gotham City on the brink of destruction every episode, so be it. But while you're waiting for Joker to blow up some buildings, try to consider Batman in mortal danger while children risk their lives for him to be reasonably high stakes as well. Most of this episode's conflict is more suspense than straight action, which is the case in many other episodes (just about any solo Poison Ivy appearance actually). Again, if you're into the pow-zing-bang action sequences, then I understand if this isn't your cup of tea, but that doesn't make this episode inherently inferior.

In closing, there are plenty of DCAU episodes that I much prefer, but I prefer them for their own merits, not because this one is flawed. A lot of intelligence went into the making of this episode and it is a lot more seamless than much higher profile ep's. Try to enjoy episodes for what they are rather than whine about what they aren't.

Oh, and if I seem overly argumentative, by all means debate me, because I obviously spent way too much time on this and hope it doesn't go to waste.

Batman Fan is offline Batarang Attack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think this episodes average, there are some nice scenes and parts but its just average. **1/2
    I am Vengeance, I am the Night, I AM BATMAN!

Alba Aulbath is offline The Holy Baloney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm mostly in agreement with murmur. This episode isn't as bad as most make it out to be; I enjoy the fact that children are trying to keep Batman safe from the Peguin. I do really enjoy this episode, though I do agree there are several better ones to watch than this one. It's not a bad one at all, though - except it's not the greatest introduction to a villain, but for me, that's a minor complaint.

I can say honestly that I'd watch this episode over any appearance made by Talia or Ra's al-Ghul. Though many adore these two, I don't personally enjoy them since they tend to make Batman suddenly feel like 'Indiana Jones'. So, I'll take 'I've Got Batman In My Basement' over the Lazarus Pits.
    Alba Aulbath

"Sometimes, I wish Noah hadn't finished the ark in time. People suck." - The Question

sdp
    sdp is offline God
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also like this episode, nothing wrong with it

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An average episode---not stellar, but not awful.

Hmm, flashing back to 1992 (when I was in high school), the big thing then was still the then-very-recent "Batman Returns"---hence, maybe not surprising that the Penguin's design was a takeoff on Danny DeVito's version (pressure from the higher-ups at Warners to do that, maybe?). The umbrella and bird fixation, well, those're the Penguin's trademark/most recognizable feature among the general public... though agree I like his "running a nightclub and still taking part in illegal acts" bit in TNBA somewhat more...

"Home Alone" was also a then-very-recent film (and a huge hit)...

One interesting tidbit: the kid mentioned his basement not being "as glamorous as the Batcave"; guess either one of the Batman toymakers in their world designed a "hideout" playset for the figures and coincidentially called it as such, or (my guess) one of those guys Bats blindfolds and takes to the Batcave on occasion told the media about what he saw (though not knowing of the Batcave's location or anything, of course)...

-B.

Mynd Hed is offline Holy blue on a popo!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainatra
    One interesting tidbit: the kid mentioned his basement not being "as glamorous as the Batcave"; guess either one of the Batman toymakers in their world designed a "hideout" playset for the figures and coincidentially called it as such, or (my guess) one of those guys Bats blindfolds and takes to the Batcave on occasion told the media about what he saw (though not knowing of the Batcave's location or anything, of course)...
    I'd say you're putting a little more thought into it than the writers in the episode probably did, but if we have to have an explanation, I'd say the latter works as well as any.
    Of course, you never know... maybe Alfred had one too many drinks on his night off and let some chance comment slip about how long it takes to sweep and mop the floor of the Batcave. (-:

Grimlock is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, i just watched this on the DVD as well.

I have to say, this is probably one of the most similar episodes to anything we've seen in "The Batman", and this is STILL 100 times better.

A few corny jokes, some lame plot lines, but at least Bruce wasn't eating nachos and the Penguin wasn't spitting out rap lines.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Whenever a show has to be made with 65 episodes shown in one year, it's inevitable that many script ideas which normally would be rejected get shoved into the pile of "do these, and fast." If this debuted on Saturdays with a 13-episode order, something like this would never have been seen.

What bothers me about the whole process is that no matter what you make an episode about, it's still the product of almost a million dollars and the effort of countless people. Given this, rushing a plot or shoving a mediocre one into the machine should be verboten for any good writer. But, in most cases like this, they have no choice.

It's kind of unfair to pick on this though. There's no denying it's one of the worst Batman episodes, but looking through the whole DC animated universe there are several Superman shows that slaughter this in the bad category. "Monkey Fun" anybody? I shiver just thinking about that one.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Revelator is offline In summary then: "Oh no."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I sympathize with those who question why this episode gets so pounded on, I think any attempt to redeem this episode is misguided. I'd say there are two forms of artistic failure one can usually count on in judging the worth of a show or film. In the first case, the work is so inept, so full of howlers and unintentional humor, that it's very badness becomes almost enjoyable, with a special energy of its own. The second form of trash is that of the crummy, near mediocre work--competently made but bereft of any interesting ideas, it numbs your soul through its lack of personality. "I've Got Batman In My Basement" is that sort of undistinguished, soul-numbing sub-mediocrity.

Does anyone who sits down to watch Batman really wish to see an episode where Batman gets saved by a goody-two-shoes junior detective wanabee and his plucky pals? Is that the sort of story we imagine when we think about what stories can be told about Batman? These aren't even credible kids--they're escapees from cliche city (that unmagical place ransacked by hack writers): the nerdy nark junior detective who finally gets to meet his idol (yeah, we've never seen that character before), his tomboy girlfriend, and the dimwitted jocks. Cardboard through and through. (When Tim Drake saved Batman, the situation was far more threatening and grittier, and we had an interest in seeing street-punk Tim redeem himself by becoming a hero. Here the kids are dull from the start.)

And poor Penguin. (One can imagine him snarling "And I'd have killed Batman too, if only it wasn't for those meddling kids!") One of the great heavy-hitters in the rogues gallery, and he ends up caught breaking into a house in the suburbs and foiled thanks to a couple of kids. Is this really what we envision for a supposedly major villain? Aren't Batman and the Penguin supposed to be larger than life characters? This episode shrinks them. It's practically ripped from the log of overused plots consulted by hack animation writers: the hero is injured by the villain and must be saved a good little kid, who earns his hero's respect (It's right behind the old hero goes temporarily blind and must regain his iniative by testing himself--and damned if the Penguin wasn't later shoved into that old plot as well). It's the sort of thing craven writers think will instantly appeal to kids. Even as a kid I resented this sort of cynical hackwork. The kids hold off the Penguin and his gang with the same sort of instant, fake ingenuity used in the Home Alone films. A home invasion by a master criminal could conceivably be very, very scary. This episode has practically no sense of danger or suspense (be honest, did you ever think those kids would totally screw up?), and we're pretty sure right away that these apple-cheeked little snots will triumph over the big bad grown-ups through their pluck and spirit. Yawn. When I got the first BTAS set, I made a point of rewatching every episode. And I did. There are some I never will feel the need to watch again. "I've Got Batman In My Basement" is on that list. Even the lousiest episodes of The Batman are more enjoyable.
    "A carpet is large enough to accommodate two sufis, but the world is not large enough for two Kings." – Yavuz Sultan Selim

Batman91 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I will agree that this is probably the worst episode of B;TAS but I think its ok.**out of ***** stars

Eddie G. is offline Former Wolf/Writer.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With the exception of the opening, closing, title card, music, and concept there is nothing rewarding in this episode at all.

murmur is offline Loud whispers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelator
    While I sympathize with those who question why this episode gets so pounded on, I think any attempt to redeem this episode is misguided.
    Oh, it's definitely misguided...I wasted like an hour on that stupid post! Still, I don't take any of it back.
    I'd say there are two forms of artistic failure one can usually count on in judging the worth of a show or film. In the first case, the work is so inept, so full of howlers and unintentional humor, that it's very badness becomes almost enjoyable, with a special energy of its own. The second form of trash is that of the crummy, near mediocre work--competently made but bereft of any interesting ideas, it numbs your soul through its lack of personality. "I've Got Batman In My Basement" is that sort of undistinguished, soul-numbing sub-mediocrity.
    You put that in a harsh way, but it's hard to argue. Basically, you're saying that not only didn't you like it as a good episode, but you couldn't find anything hilariously wrong with it, so you just can't stand watching it, right? Well, if I'm getting your gist, that's fine. There's no point in me saying you have to enjoy an episode. But if you admit that it's not flawed, and if you can see that there are plenty of people who enjoy it, why would you say it's one of the worst of the series?

Does anyone who sits down to watch Batman really wish to see an episode where Batman gets saved by a goody-two-shoes junior detective wanabee and his plucky pals?
    [Raises his hand.]
    Is that the sort of story we imagine when we think about what stories can be told about Batman?
    Nope. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed it--it's a change of pace.
    These aren't even credible kids--they're escapees from cliche city (that unmagical place ransacked by hack writers): the nerdy nark junior detective who finally gets to meet his idol (yeah, we've never seen that character before), his tomboy girlfriend, and the dimwitted jocks. Cardboard through and through.
    Meh, they aren't the most original characters but they aren't common for Batman's world. To you that's obviously a minus, but surely you can see how some might enjoy those archtypes getting some spotlight in our hero's universe. Besides, they aren't completely predictable. I had thought the jocks, for example, would have been more antagonistic, maybe try to steal some of Sherwood's glory, but they were quick to show their own dimwitted respect, which is a nice contrast with Penguin (who is their intellectual opposite and wholly unrespectful). Oh, and how often, before B:tAS, have you seen a mother in a cartoon who just happens to be single (i.e., it's not a major plot point)?
    (When Tim Drake saved Batman, the situation was far more threatening and grittier, and we had an interest in seeing street-punk Tim redeem himself by becoming a hero. Here the kids are dull from the start.)
    Tim Drake doesn't change that much either. He was always a Batman fan and he was a street-punk out of necessity. He does get more development with time, and his origin as Robin is a little more striking, but that's hardly a fair comparison. These kids were one-shots.

And poor Penguin. (One can imagine him snarling "And I'd have killed Batman too, if only it wasn't for those meddling kids!") One of the great heavy-hitters in the rogues gallery, and he ends up caught breaking into a house in the suburbs and foiled thanks to a couple of kids. Is this really what we envision for a supposedly major villain?
    Yes. It's exactly what I envision. Penguin's major weakness is his arrogance, which leads to him underestimating his enemies. What better way to demonstrate that than with humiliation at the hands of the big brutish bat and some little runts? But again, lest you think they've gone too far, PENGUIN IS NOT DEFEATED BY THE KIDS. They help, but Batman is still the hero.
    Aren't Batman and the Penguin supposed to be larger than life characters?
    Nope. B:tAS clearly established itself as a show that allows for both the fantastic and the mundane in its plots and characters. We may now be used the Batman who can hold his own and still kick butt in the Justice League but he wasn't always that amazing and that's a good thing.
    This episode shrinks them. It's practically ripped from the log of overused plots consulted by hack animation writers: the hero is injured by the villain and must be saved a good little kid, who earns his hero's respect (It's right behind the old hero goes temporarily blind and must regain his iniative by testing himself--and damned if the Penguin wasn't later shoved into that old plot as well). It's the sort of thing craven writers think will instantly appeal to kids. Even as a kid I resented this sort of cynical hackwork. The kids hold off the Penguin and his gang with the same sort of instant, fake ingenuity used in the Home Alone films. A home invasion by a master criminal could conceivably be very, very scary. This episode has practically no sense of danger or suspense (be honest, did you ever think those kids would totally screw up?), and we're pretty sure right away that these apple-cheeked little snots will triumph over the big bad grown-ups through their pluck and spirit. Yawn.
    I'm pretty sure the good guys will win most of the time I watch an episode. I still want to see how it plays out. And the kids do not achieve the success they were hoping for, either. They get the bad guy in a bind just to have him go on practically undeterred. That kind of thing is more common in horror movies than silly kids' farces. And if you really want to offhandedly compare it to Home Alone, well I already discussed that above. Perhaps I'm being dense, but it seems to me that their "fake ingenuity" does not work!
    When I got the first BTAS set, I made a point of rewatching every episode. And I did. There are some I never will feel the need to watch again. "I've Got Batman In My Basement" is on that list. Even the lousiest episodes of The Batman are more enjoyable.
    [shrug]I haven't seen The Batman yet. Feel free to keep up the debate if you like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast