toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate "The Demon Within"

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

6 18.75%
  • ****1/2

1 3.13%

9 28.13%
  • ***1/2

6 18.75%

3 9.38%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

2 6.25%

1 3.13%
  • 1/2

4 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

B:TAS "The Demon Within" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Discuss this classic Batman: The Animated Series episode from the The New Batman Adventures era!

Episode #103 - The Demon Within
    Original Airdate - May 9th, 1998.

Batman and Etrigan join forces to stop a child in possession of dark magic.

Comments?
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

MILatino is offline =/\=
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: B:TAS "The Demon Within" Talkback (Spoilers)

Originally posted by The Penguin
    Bruce resorts to black magic as he battles a demon released from an ancient artifact.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not partial to magic stories. Give me more realistic situations (Thorne, Cromwell, Dent, Dagget, etc.) any day. One star.

TheScarecrow is offline The Master Of Fear
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode was a good change of pace and Jason Blood is a good character. Some of the dialogue was nicely done, and the animation was also nicely done.

****1/2
    I am the master of fear!

Condiment King is offline custom user title
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Gone, Gone, the form of man. Rise, Rise, Etrigan!"

I agree with MILatino that this episode being mostly pure "magic" gets annoying as the story progresses and it seems to lean on it as a crutch. Etrigan was cool and again Robin was here!
    "Leaping Lanny and Randy Savage are brothers, and Randy Savage, your name is Randy Poffo. THAT'S RIGHT, RANDY POFFO. You're ashamed of going around calling yourself Poffo so you probably got the name Savage because you're ashamed of putting yourself on the same level as your brother because he is much better than you are. YOUR BROTHER IS A HUMAN BEING. YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A SCUMBAG. THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE; YOU'RE A DOG. YOUR NAME IS POFFO." - Ronnie Garvin to Randy Savage, ICW Wrestling, 1980.

Storm is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love this episode Batman and Jason Blood make great partners and the evil kid with the cat was cool too. I love magic, underworld, demon, and myth stories
    Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.

Super Secret Agent Girl

Drachentöter is offline Good night. And good luck.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Five stars

Bruce: "One million dollars!"

Tim: "There goes my raise."

Etrigan: "No strawberry, master..."

Etrigan: "I'm sending him to his room!"

Not only was this a very good portrayal of Jason Blood, it was funny too! I really liked how the Jason was explored, something which was sadly lacking in my second fave ep of JL, A Knight of Shadows. Animation was very well-done with the magic scenes.

My only regret was that Tim never suited up.
    "But what is the difference between literature and journalism? Journalism is unreadable and literature is not read. That is all." - Oscar Wilde

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Love truth, and pardon error." - Voltaire

aftertheomega.blogspot.com

Bleu Unicorn is offline \(^o^)/
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Four Stars

Originally posted by ionglkyle
    "Gone, Gone, the form of man. Rise, Rise, Etrigan!"
    Um, it's actually, "Gone, gone the form of man. Rise, the Demon, Etrigan." Not to nitpick.

I really enjoy this episode. I actually like the redesign of Etrigan for JL better, tho -- as it is closer to the comics, imho. But this version works well in this episode. Rewatching it again today, I totally forgot that Morgaine is even mentioned! Must have slipped by me every other time I've ever noticed it, but still a very nice touch by the writers.

Tim is just a scene-stealer in this episode, at least for me. I love his interactions with Jason. All of his dialogue just slays me. And Jason has some sweet lines as well.

Batman for his part was cool, as always. But the episode is driven more for me by the things beyond him. I'm actually partial to the mystical and magical stories (they aren't my favorite, but I like the variety they bring). And the battle just is too predictable for me, but all in all I really love this episode quite a bit.
    — Cyndy Otty —
    http://gentlewit.com

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Even though this episode had good dialogue, a cool kid with a cat, and good animation, the story was really weird and kinda boring at times. I rated this episode 1 and a Half stars. I can't wait to see "Mad Love" on Wednesday, now that's a Hit Episode.

Cyber E. is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Five stars

Originally posted by MILatino
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not partial to magic stories. Give me more realistic situations (Thorne, Cromwell, Dent, Dagget, etc.) any day. One star.
    I couldn't agree more. This episode was to much like a S:TAS storyline and supernatural is not the Dark Knight. 1/2 Stars

Originally posted by VortexInfinite
    My only regret was that Tim never suited up.
    Actually he did at the very end, he really didn't do anything though.

Caped Crusader is offline Batman--The Dark Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not into magic episodes, so I didn't really like "The Demon Within." I think the only thing I that this episode had going for it was its nice animation.
    Thug: "W-who are you?"
    Batman: "I’m your worst nightmare!"--"Pretty Poison"
    -------------------------
    If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. —Romans 10:9

JohnStewart-GL is offline Mighty JLU memba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Gone , gone the form of man rise the Demon Etrigan"

I tought i was really good. but seeing it again made me realize how much better the Jl design is of Etrigan. it just had more detail. Anyway back on this episode. I enjoyed it but i wished they would have showed or tolded how batman and etrigan met(id love to see that in JL mabey.) I, like MIlatino, Am not to into magic stories though.
    4 starz from me .
    -G- UNIT!!!!

' LIGHT EM UP!!' - GL _ John Stewart

Pyro is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it, the animation was great, the story was an interesting change, and I like Etrigan. I liked his JL design better though. I also really want to see "Mad Love" because I have read the comic and have never seen the adaptation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Don't ask... Just don't ask." - Batman, The Demon Within

I'm a little late again, but I finally watched this episode and overall I'd say I liked it. The whole "magic" aspect of this episode didn't bother me as much as it does with some other episodes. Taken with the context it just seemed to work.

They started to lose me when Klarion started behaving too much like a child and had the Demon do things like blow up a theater because he doesn't like sequels. It was a bit funny, but overall it just made me groan. "Ooo cake!"

I did however find it extremely funny when Bats held the branding iron out of the boy's reach. You can't go wrong with that.

Tim's interaction with Jason Blood was great and added a lot to the episode. He didn't go out as Robin much, but still he was on fire in this one.

Did Etrigan really have to send Klarion to his room? That capped off the lower score of this episode.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

katfairy is offline Soprano of Doom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I happen to like dealing with magic (hey, I'm a Pagan, what do you want ) and this episode did it very well. I particularly liked the fact that they didn't try to explain much. They just showed what happened and let the audience make of it what they will. Not that I want that for every single episode, but every now and then it's cool.

And I loved Batman taking advantage of the fact that he's about twice Klarion's height. That was priceless.
    I can smell your spicy brains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Demon Within airs tonight

Tonight at 1 a.m. ET Cartoon Network airs The New Batman Adventures episode, The Demon Within.

Episode #103 - The Demon Within
    Original Airdate - May 9th, 1998.

Bruce resorts to black magic as he battles a demon released from an ancient artifact.

Comments?

randomguy is offline Came, liked Ike, and left.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The best thing about this episode is the animation, which is near feature quality in some places. It's fast, fluid, and the smoke/explosion effects are gorgeous. The action scenes are similiarly well-choreographed and exciting. It's hard to believe, judging by the animation, that this and "Animal Act" are even from the same series. Makes Justice League's "A Knight of Shadows" episode look like Speed Racer.

The story is decent. Not terribly original, or anything, but it holds your attention, has some sharp dialogue, and brings a really cool character into the DCAU. Four of five for me.
    "So pray for peace until you're hoarse, and maybe fear will run its course.
    May God forgive us our insanity, and we'll keep pressing on."
    -Rodney Crowell, "We Can't Turn Back" (randomguy's song sig. #68)
    randomguy has ridden off into the TZ sunset. Details here. Follow his daily non-adventures at his MySpace blog.
    Texas 4000: randomguy and 42 other UT students bike to Alaska for cancer research. More info at link. View my rider's journal here.

Weibart is online now Intercept Now!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i loved this ep. this animation rivals the quality of over the edge. it's some of TMS's best work in the btas. i like the transformation effect for both the cat and jason blood/etrigan, it was different. no need to overanalyze the story, it is very straight forward and was just what it should have been. everything was perfect.

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Forgot Morgaine was mentioned at all.
    Wayne and Blood are great, one day it'd be cool to see how they met in the DCAU since it was implied a little in the dialogue in the beginning. Maybe Bruce got possessed by a demon and Blood saved the day. I forgot how they met in the comics.
    With Terminator 3 out, the sequence with Etrigan blowing up the theater was a little more hilarious than usual.
    Liked JL design of Etrigan better, more detail and his attacks were flames instead of looking like lasers.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 23, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, although I (apparently) like magic episodes more than the average joe or jill, I distictly recall being annoyed by the bright light/power lines uesd at the end of the episode (and shown in Penguin's pic at the top of the thread). TMS handled this one, no? They've always had more of an anime edge to them, even though they do wonders with making each figure have consistant form and weight.

And Klarion bugged me, I think. Hmmm...maybe I'd have something more to say if I could see this episode again *hinthintYTV*. Still, it isn't a bad episode at all.

Squall is offline Calm Before The Storm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't care for this episode the first time I saw it. However, after seeing JL's "A Knight of Shadows", this episode of TNBA is much cooler to me now. (It would have been neat if Cartoon Network had aired TNBA's "The Demon Within" before they aired JL's "A Knight of Shadows" for the first time, like they did S:TAS's "Apokolips... Now!" and "Legacy" before airing JL's "Twilight"...)

Is it just me or does Etrigan seem larger in "The Demon Within" than he is in "A Knight of Shadows"?
    Favorites! (1) Action: Transformers & G.I. Joe; Visionairies; The DCAU; Robotech, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo & Trigun; TMNT, MOTU; and Avengers: EMH; (2) Comedy: The Simpsons & Futurama, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast & The Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, ATHF, The Boondocks, The Venture Bros., and Archer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast