toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate This Issue

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • ****1/2

1 20.00%

0 0%
  • ***1/2

3 60.00%

1 20.00%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Batman: Gotham Adventures #55 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

An all-new issue of Gotham Adventures is upon us! Check out the info below and let the comments flow in...

BATMAN: GOTHAM ADVENTURES #55
    Written by Scott Peterson; art by Rick Burchett and Terry Beatty; cover by Bob Smith and Beatty.

Batman finds himself caught in a deadly quarrel between mobsters, each claiming the other kidnapped his wife. He’s got to help them out — or risk a full-fledged mob war.
    32 pages, $2.25

Click on the thumbnails below to see the first four pages of this issue:

Comments?

[Cover & pages inserted by Brian Cruz]

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I don't know what's going on with my comic shop, but they aren't giving me Gotham Adventures anymore...!?!?! And to make matters worse, the comic book guy is only in two days of the week Arrggg...I still don't have last month's issue...

Well I'll comment when I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't picked it up yet... but I will comment as soon as I get it. It sounds good. But Peterson has a record of disappointing what sounds like a good issue. Though he also has a record of surprising me.

Brian Cruz is offline Surf's Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Check out the pages I just added to the top post!
    Brian Cruz
    Toon Zone Server Administrator

Remember, it's "Toon Zone". Two words! Not one!

The Electric Knight is offline I believe in Gotham City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well something must have seeped into those DC offices there, because in this issue it does seem as though Peterson made a conscious effort to make a less-simple, slightly more adult story. In fact, I'd go so far as to say this is his best issue of all. I'll be quick to remind people though, that doesn't mean it's brilliant .

Peterson is still plagued by his many habits which have become so run-of-the-mill and nauseating. Setting splash pages, and limiting the panel count to, at most, four, save for page 7, which had five. You should have seen me gasp . Also, the "Batcave" scene which Peterson uses every issue made me even more quesy this time. It's such an unoriginal and tedious way to "catch-up" on a story which hasn't said enough in the beginning. And it this issue it's far too evident. Mostly because, unlike, in other Peterson issues, we have been given a decent story premise. Barbara is once again used to regurgitate the set facts and bring up questions that we as readers have already asked ourselves, not to mention list the possibilities which we have already listed.

Now, I realise that my dislike for Peterson has turned me into quite the reluctant reader, but I find this a really bad way of storytelling. He leaves almost nothing to the imagination, and gives almost no credit to the reader. A better way of doing this would be not to ask questions and list possibilites, but rather, set up little aspects of possibilities and lead the readers on a path they aren't constantly being reminded that they're walking on. Page 10 almost served the same purpose in a way, and I would have been sufficed with just this, and not the Batgirl page.

And finally, Peterson still insists on having characters stumble over lines. #53 with Ivy was possibly the worst I've seen for this, and the tradition is continued. "Donna...I...What?...I...You don't understand...." If we are to truly believe that this character, Camedia, is one of the largest mob bosses in Gotham, having such dialogue completely undermines that, and rids of any "battle of the families" tension.

Now, having said all of that, I have to say I really liked the twist ending. Peterson finally delivered some decent suspense and tension, and seeing Gordon shoot Camedia and Batman just standing by actually had me in quite the knot. For once I didn't see the resolution coming, that he had a vest on, so as to fake his death and escape the business. The only thing that I found not-so-great about the ending is the fact that, despite Batman wanting to reform criminals, these mob-bosses still would have had very dirty hands, being the biggest in Gotham, and letting them both go unpunished seemed very leanient. But that's forgivable.

On to the art: FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC. This is what the comic's style should look like. Burchett's art compliments the story far better than Levin's could have. He makes use of space wisely and gives us awesome visuals. The angles and lines are very TNBA-like, and no character looks as though they belong in Saturday Disney. I love the way Burchett frames action and has interesting panels, such as on page 17, panel three, among others. I bought this issue for the art, and it was definately worth my money. Who would have thought that I actually came out with an okay story as well.

TEK

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As usual, TEK, I greatly enjoy your comments and insights. You manage to word things perfectly - do you ever get writer's block? I doubt it

I'm pleased that Peterson has turned out a story that doesn't entirely disappoint, but since I haven't read it yet, any further comments will have to wait.

What I will comment on, however, is Rick Burchett's artwork, which is beginning to bother me. From the start of B:GA I really disliked his angular, often over-stylized figures and scenes, but when Rousseau and Levins came along, I began to look at his art in a better light (not to say that I hate Levins' art though). When Burchett returned to work on that fill-in issue with Levins and Beatty, however, his art stuck out in a bad way. Batman's body size kept changing, and the art seemed more sloppy...

From the top four preview pages, it seems to me that Burchett isn't putting as much effort in his art as he used to. Batman's profile from behind is one sweeping line, but this isn't the way he has ever been drawn. Accuse me of nit-picking, but don't say that his style hasn't changed. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to see him pencil the upcoming Batman series.

Instead, I think Rick's talent has always better served the Bat-books as an inker or finisher. For example, in Staton's JLA issue, it was Burchett's inks that kept the otherwise chubby and wobbly characters on-model. That's his forte, and I hope he sticks to it.

Salvor is offline You can't take a picture of it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by DisneyBoy
    Instead, I think Rick's talent has always better served the Bat-books as an inker or finisher.
    I strongly disagree with you here. I think Rick Burchett did a top-notch job on the first B&R issues and his work on BGA was really outstanding to me (dynamic figures, stylish backgrounds, on model characters etc).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked this issue up today and I must this issue didn't disappoint me all that much. I rather liked it. It's no #51, but it's no #41 either

Salvor is offline You can't take a picture of it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah the issue was pretty good. I liked the art, and the story was sort of complicated (it reminded me of Puckett's early Batman Adv. stories), which made for an enjoyable read.

Condiment King is offline custom user title
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I finally got B:GA #55 in the mail today! Oh happy day!

As for the story, it was definately not #33, but it wasn't #49 either.

I must express my utter disdain for these splash pages in every issue. The lack of story wasn't that bad this issue as compared to say, #49 or #54, but it wasn't story-driven. I wish we could have dug deeper into Camedia's true emotions during this issue and more into Accelli's lack there of.

I must congratulate Peterson on an un-characteristicly surprising issue. I actually was wondering why Camedia was being arrested and then he wakes up. What a pleasant surprise!

I always enjoy a happy ending, but for some reason, I felt that this deserved a sad one like in "Two-Face" Parts 1 and 2 in B:TAS. The ending was good though.

The Batgirl appearance was annoying to me. It is kind of like hearing 'Last panel on Batman: Gotham Adventures'. It was mainly a recap and then, we get another one at the bar and yet another with Batman telling Commissioner Gordon about the situation. I felt as if the story could have really been furthered along in these three instances rather than reminding the reader over and over again about exactly what the plot is.

The ending with the Batgirl narration was also annoying. I don't know, I just like sad endings. Batman should be 'dark'. Maybe just simply Batman looking from the top of a roof while the family leaves the city or something.

All and all, an average issue but it would have been MUCH better with more story and less splash pages and recaps.
    "Leaping Lanny and Randy Savage are brothers, and Randy Savage, your name is Randy Poffo. THAT'S RIGHT, RANDY POFFO. You're ashamed of going around calling yourself Poffo so you probably got the name Savage because you're ashamed of putting yourself on the same level as your brother because he is much better than you are. YOUR BROTHER IS A HUMAN BEING. YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A SCUMBAG. THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE; YOU'RE A DOG. YOUR NAME IS POFFO." - Ronnie Garvin to Randy Savage, ICW Wrestling, 1980.