toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate this Issue!

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll

1 7.14%
  • ****1/2

2 14.29%

2 14.29%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

3 21.43%
  • **1/2

0 0%

4 28.57%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Justice League Adventures #12 Talkback (SPOILERS)

Like This Thread!

The lastest issue in the Justice League Adventures has arrived a little early for winter, but anyhoo...

JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES #12
    Written by Chris Sequeira; art by Min S. Ku and Mark Propst; cover by John Delaney and Paul Neary

In stores October 2. The comic based on the hit Cartoon Network series continues as the icy heart of villainy is revealed! You’ll want to grab a sweater and light a fire as Mr. Freeze, Captain Cold, Killer Frost and a chilling cabal of icy super-villains attempt a hostile takeover of a small African nation. Can the League stop them in time or will they be the first victims of the “Cold War?”
    32 pages, $2.25

[Edit: Cover & pages added by Brian Cruz]

Green-Ghost is offline Bring on...POISON IVY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't it yet
    Hopefull I get it at Saturday if not then few weeks later.
    I think this is a cool ( ) issue.

(I hope Brian Cruz or Jim Harvey post the first 4 pages)

ChrisSequeira is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    G'Day, All,

As the writer for this issue I'm interested in any feedback anyone might have on the issue, so fire away!

Cheers,

Chris Sequeira

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Chris
    I had a chance to read this story quite a while ago when I was first asked to do the cover and I thought it was great!! You did a fantastic job with all the different voices of the characters and the plot was very catchy with lots of "cool" stuff ( sorry I couldn't resist)
    Great Stoof!
    John

Karkull is offline Mod of Chaos
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I'm ignorant: who are these guys? I recognize Mr. Freeze (I think they'd revoke my modship if I didn't, ), Captain Cold (Flash villain), Icicle (Golden Age villain), and Killer Frost (Firestorm villain); but who are Minister Blizzard, Snowman, Polar Lord, and the Cryonic Man? Of course:

Spoiler:
    Polar Lord might just be a ringer (created for the story) because of his double cross.
    "You don't have the tools to defeat me."
    --Karkull, "The Hand of Fate"

The Justice League Watchtower -- Now 99.9% Wonder Twin-free!

MattL. is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As usual with these Adventures book they *never* live up to the level of the shows on which they're based. Just another quaint wacky 22 pager.

Also for some reason the colorist on these book insist on makeing Supermans cape and boots brownish looking. Superman Adventures had the same problem.

MattL. is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    P.S.

The real TAS Mr. Freeze would never have teamed up with these geeks. (Mainly because Bruce Timm and co. never would've been stupid enough to use them in JL)

BeastBoyWonder is offline Teen Titans Go!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by MattL.
    As usual with these Adventures book they *never* live up to the level of the shows on which they're based. Just another quaint wacky 22 pager.

Also for some reason the colorist on these book insist on makeing Supermans cape and boots brownish looking. Superman Adventures had the same problem.
    So far I've enjoyed many of the issues in the Adventures series more than episodes of the show themselves. I haven' t had a chance to read this particular issue, but I intend to.

Green-Ghost is offline Bring on...POISON IVY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you Brian for posting the pages
    The cover and the first 4 pages are great!
    Specially page 3.
    John did a great job at the cover and Min has make great artworks in the comic(they always do great artworks )
    The story from Chris Sequeira sounds very good and interresting with all the Icy Villains.
    Can't wait to get it

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Greetings Mr. Chris Sequeira! It's nice to have you on the boards with us. I really hope that you stay regardless of whatever negative criticisms may be said. We're a really nice bunch, and as hardcore JL fans, we can also be a tad demanding. Then again, it must have been quite challenging for you to write a JL story with so many main characters. How did you come up with the story idea? I don't think I've heard of you in regards to the DC Animated Universe - what other kinds of work have you done? Are you a big B:TAS fan like most of us here?

P.S. (I've yet to read the issue, so please don't give anything away )

Young Justice is offline Rookie Agent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hawkgirl Detective Skills

I'm from Brazil, so I haven't read this issue (or whatsoever JL Adventures) because they don't get published over here. But for the 4 pages preview that was posted on this forum, what I've enjoyed most was the political aspect of the discussion on whether the JL would be involved on the case or not. And also the hint about the Hawkgirl detective skills in the second to last panel. She actually did help Batman on this issue!

My only criticism is that I would like that Penguin would be inclued on the gang. He is a major Icy villain just as Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold. I hope this episode, incluiding Penguin could be translated to the animated version of JL. OK, it's cheesy, but so what?

DarkLantern is offline Keeping my promise
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Polar Lord... hmm....

Looks just like Polar Boy ... from the Legion of Substitute Heroes.

Hmmm...

And it was a nice nostalgiac touch reviving Minister Blizzard and Cryonic Man for this story -- goes in line with the show's respect to DC's Silver Age...

Unfortunately, where I am I have to wait another week for this issue, but I look forward to it.

DL

Dan Slott is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a sucker for those rare scenes when the good guy and the bad guy have to team-up. With that said... wasn't that a GREAT shot when Batman and Mr. Freeze decked that alien together? What fun! And PAGE FIVE: Heroes rushin' at you, villains zapping their freeze beams, ah comic-book-goodness... quick kudos to Mr. Ku-- nice page layout, sir! Chris, quick question: was the Cryonic Man always a beatnik, Daddy-o? Or were you just having a fun time?
    TTYL
    Dan

ChrisSequeira is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    John D, and Dan S,

Thanks for the kinds words, cobbers!

MattL, sorry the comic book ain't to yer liking, but I gotta admit 'quaint and wacky' does capture something I was aiming for, although I tried to have the story work on a serious level, too ('serious'? hey, there's a ******* green man from Mars in here!). To each their own, and let's face it, the show is a hard act to follow when you look at the best episodes (which for me, so far, have been 'Injustice for all' and 'Legends'. LOVED THEM!). That all said, I'll disagree with you on one point, respectfully, and that is, to me, the frosty finks are not geeks, they're all fun and interesting in their own way - but Mister Freeze, although not the first of them (that's Minister Blizzard) is my favourite. He has never been better portrayed, and never will be, than in that 'Heart of Ice' story in Batman the Animated Series. Nothing will ever top it for me.

(Note: Geoff Johns's Captain Cold in Flash at the moment is pretty sweet, too. Bloody hell, everything Johns writes is brill).

Crikey, I'm getting off the track here. DisneyBoy, thanks for the welcome, and it's OK - as a writer you have to accept some people will like your stuff, some will hate it, some will be in the middle, and all of them have an absolute right to their opinions and if you write with your ears open you may learn something from all of them.

Dan S, by the way, yeah, I made Cryonic a beat-guy, because his back-story placed his origins in the 50-60's so I hadda have my fun.

Thanks, Young Justice and Dark Lantern, and everyone, all of this is helpful and informative to me. I have another issue coming up next year so I'm taking it all in!

Cheers for now,

CS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to ruin any surprises, but can you give us an idea of what your future issue may or may not deal with?

SimonMoon5 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Karkull
    Okay, I'm ignorant: who are these guys? I recognize Mr. Freeze (I think they'd revoke my modship if I didn't, ), Captain Cold (Flash villain), Icicle (Golden Age villain), and Killer Frost (Firestorm villain); but who are Minister Blizzard, Snowman, Polar Lord, and the Cryonic Man?
    Minister Blizzard is an old Wonder Woman foe.
    Polar Lord was a newly created character based off of Polar Boy.
    Cryonic Man was a foe of Batman and the Outsiders.

Snowman is the one I'm not familiar with.
    Edit: I just found out where he's from. Snowman is Klaus Kristin, the son of a yeti and a human woman. He used his ice
    powers to fight the Batman before perishing in Tibet, in Batman #337.

The one complaint I have with this issue is a complaint that I've mentioned on another thread, where people have suggested that more Batman villains (rather than other DC villains) be used on the Justice League cartoon. Just as I predicted would happen on the cartoon if such appearances were made, the one Batman villain (Mr. Freeze) steals the show, as the only (Earth-born) character with a personality (since he's the only character with a personality previously defined on the animated shows).

Imho, Killer Frost can be just as compelling a character as Freeze, but since the cartoon watchers won't know who she is, she just sits in the background. As do most of the other cold characters other than Mr. Freeze.

It seems like the only point for having the other characters is as a smoke screen. If it were just Polar Lord and Mr. Freeze, the reader might suspect the secret more quickly, but nothing in the plot itself seemed to require more than just those two (iirc).

On the other hand, it was nice to see an action-filled "done in one" story like this one.
    Last edited by SimonMoon5; 10-04-2002 at 11:51 AM.

MattL. is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ChrisSequeira: Well I certainally appreciate someone not taking superheroes *too* seriously. As we are living in the age where everyone seems to want to turn all superheroes into Watchmen and the age of Ultimates, your point of view is quite refreshing and very welcome.

*but* what I seem to find in alot of the animated books is that rather than following the tone of the show (which is serious, but just serious enough to work without tipping over into the bleakness of modern comics) they read like an excuse to just do Silver Age stories again. TAS while undeinably classical in its approach, is not wacky like that.

Also, if the JL animated series can do two part stories on a big scale, why can't the comic that its based on?

and why clutter the TAS universe with like-gimmicked characters when TAS benifts so much from *not* having that?

Kal-el is offline Ruling with strength
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was just wondering...wasn't Justice League Adventures production started before JL:TAS started?

If so, does anyone know how many issues there were until the respective writers even saw what the show was going to be like?

If the writers didn't know what the show would be like, it would seem they'd have to find their own style without having the show to *guide* their stories.

Just trying to get a handle on the differences between the style and feel of the series and the comic.
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." -Maximus from "Gladiator"

LadyM is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ChrisSequeira
    G'Day, All,

As the writer for this issue I'm interested in any feedback anyone might have on the issue, so fire away!

Cheers,

Chris Sequeira
    I really enjoyed it. It was fun having a group of themed villains, not to mention watching Batman upbraid the Flash. ^_~ (MIght've been a little more effective if you'd had the Flash mouthing off more on the earlier pages, though.) Hawkgirl actually made some important observations and deductions. (GASP! Hawkgirl Did Stuff! ) Wonder Woman got on my nerves, which is usually a sign that she's being characterized correctly. (Flashback to her stint as JLI leader--arrrrgh.) Batman's reactions were dead-on; he's never been one to believe in boundaries, international or otherwise.

I do think that Mr. Freeze stole the show (although I noticed the Flash immediately blamed Captain Cold, the only coldie from his Rogues Gallery, when they were regrouping at the watchtower ^_~) from the other cold-based villains. Would've been nice if the other had at least gotten a few more lines each.

Umm . . . let's see, what else . . . I thought the art was some of the best I've seen in the series so far. The Flash in particular looked great. Superman looked . . . too old. Or maybe just tired.

Oh, and before I forget . . . my favorite part. Superman warns the Cold Warriors about Polar Lord and they react with surprise and shock. At this point I was thinking, "Oh man, don't tell me they're going to be swayed that easily . . ." And then in the next panel they all burst out laughing. Priceless. I especially like Captain Cold's reaction. (The "L" with his finger . . . geez, and they say the FLASH is immature. ^_~)

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. A fun romp. ^_^

~LM~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heya Chris!

MattL. and Kal-El make very good points. Since we don't know how much of the actual series you were exposed to before writing this, we shouldn't fault you if the tone of this issue was different from that on the show. That said, I hope you take these next few words to heart.

Paul Dini - B:TAS guru - once did an interview with STARLOG magazine back when The New Batman/Superman Adventures began to air (1996). He said of the Batman series that"...bringing in characters such as Hawkman and Green Lantern gets to be more of a stunt. If there's a reason for it, fine. If not, it's a stunt and it tends to detract from your core group of characters. That's why we don't do that as often as the fans would like us to do it." I think the same sort of principle applies with JLA #12.

The cover, and thought of all the "cold criminals" banning together to get rid of the Justice League, is kind of neat. Weaving together a story that can make sense of the team up and celebrate all the characters is much harder to do. Of course, I have no experience in the comic industry, but it couldn't have been easy trying to work around the "team up" aspect of the issue, and sadly I don't think the story succeeded in rising above that stigma.

The pacing of the issue was very good though. You gave the characters a chance to regroup and consider their strategy rather than making the tale a 22 page brawl, which is definately appreciated from a reader's point of view.

As others have also stated, the "Adventures" titles and "animated" shows have always faced an uphill battle when it comes to content. If the story's too dark or serious, the kids get bored, but if the tale is too light and well "cartoony" (for lack of a better word) the adults will complain. If fact, I'm surprised by how hard it has been for the post-B:TAS shows and comics to live up to that standard of craftsmanship. On the whole though, I feel that these comics and shows have often chosen their target audience to be children and have done their best to appeal to them. As I'm sure you know, there are a significant number of adult JLA readers, and as one, the one thing I'd most like out of the JL comics or episodes is some maturity. I don't know if you watch the series, but after seeing only a couple of episodes, I feel like the characters are a little "watered down" as far as development goes. If you're set to write another Justice League Adventures issue, I really encourage you to deal with the Leaguers themselves rather than try and pit them against a worthy adversary, which the show does on a weekly basis. This comic series should act as a companion piece to the show, and as such, has more liberty to shed light on some of the more subtle aspects of the characters. Once again, I'm not suggesting that you JLA writers go and explain Hawkgirl's origins before the show does, or turn this into some kind of animated-soap opera, but the maturity is lacking. Fun issues (like #6) are great every once and a while, but I think we're all tired of the campiness that keeps rearing it's retro head. For decades, all fans have had are the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s multiple versions to enjoy. I mean, most of us were thrilled to finally have Timm do a Justice League series so that we could have an "ultimate" version of the characters to hold in our hearts and cherish. I don't think the show's managed to do that, and neither has the comic.

I'm saying all of this not to heap responsibility on you, but to instead give you an idea of what this reader hopes for when he picks up the title. Maybe you could write a story about only two or three of the Leaguers, and avoid the overcrowding that #12 suffered from. I don't think every issue needs to involve an earth-shattering event to keep me interested. Take issue number 10 for example. The most interesting part for me was getting to look at what faces the Martian Manhunter when he goes out every day to save the world. Working with these characters as people, and developing their specific likes or dislikes may not entirely be up to you, but you are certainly in the position to craft at least part of their personalities. How many people have the chance to do that? Have fun with this, but don't worry about the kids as much. They'll pick this series up just to see Supes and Wonder Woman in Timm-style. Giving the adults something worth reading is a challenge I'm sure you're up to! I think we're all pretty loyal to the series, but we really hope someone will step up to the plate and tackle the greatest mystery of all: The Justice League itself!

That said, I really hope my comments have been helpful to you. I know you have all sorts of rules you have to adhere to, but hopefully something I've said can help inspire you when you sit down to write your next story. Please don't take offense to any of my comments - I meant them all with respect and appreciation. If someone saw enough potential in you to let you write good comics, I'm certain it's within your true potential to write great comics! Best of luck!

P.S.
    Please let the colorist know that this issue looked faded and dull. Let's not make it too vibrant (like the last few Superman Adventures), but at least keep the Leaguer's Tights looking "Tide" fresh! Ciao!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast