Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate This Issue

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll

2 28.57%
  • ****1/2

2 28.57%

3 42.86%
  • ***1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Batman: Gotham Adventures #5 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    With Batman: Gotham Adventures #51 still fresh in our minds, I thought it apporpriate to put up a talkback issue for the other amazing Mr. Freeze issue.

BATMAN: GOTHAM ADVENTURES #5

Written by Ty Templeton; art by Rick Burchett and Terry Beatty; cover by Templeton

Bruce Wayne suffers a concussion trying to foil the kidnapping of several cryogenics scientists from Wayne Tech. Now it's up to Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl to rescue them with help from an unexpected source: Mr. Freeze!

Comments?

BLACKHEART is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    August 5th? Did I miss something

EDIT: Nevermind I see it now

The issue was good because it tied up an episode from the series

BLACKHEART is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah it's a shame they never brought the story to life on tv. The early issues of Gotham Adventures were great.

superfreak is offline Tekkaman Blade
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great plot. I give it five stars.

Joker85 is offline Clown Prince
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great Mr. Freeze issue! The plot was actually better than "Deep Freeze" IMO. Bringing Walker back was a great idea. It's a shame this one never made it to the TV screen, it would have been much better than the last Televised Mr. Freeze story! I give it 4 stars.
    " You always take shots from folks who just don't get the joke!"
    Joker- Mad Love

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first time I read it, I hated it. Really. For starters I hadn't seen TNBA's Cold Comfort, and had no idea that Victor was only a head. Add to that his space-man-styled suit, the really sharp and angular artwork from Rick Burchett and Nora Fries - remarried and out-of-the-picture.

However,

I now consider this issue one of the best of the series. As Jim pointed out, Ty brought closure to Grant Walker's fate, gave every character something useful to do, and solidified Nora and Victor's still-existing love. For that, I thank him. Without this story, Mr. Freeze would probably never again have been associated with Nora, and he would have remained a cold hearted killer without any real character. Ty is a man who knows his B:TAS history, and used it all perfectly to reassure us fans that Mr. Freeze was more than what Cold Comfort made him out to be. It is a great tale, and puts one of our favorite characters back on track.

And I must apologize to Rick Burchett for never appreciating his artwork until Levins deep into Levin's run. While it is occasionally too angular, the faces and poses stay true to the show, and I do miss them. Though my favorite Rick Burchett issues are definately Gotham Adventures #13 (starring Riddler) and The Batgirl Adventures one-shot.

Nora Fries is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As I have mentioned before, since the day I watched Heart Of Ice at age 12, I have been an official die hard Mr.Freeze, and Nora Fries has been my official #1 in the Top 10 Women in the DCAU.

Now, when first I saw 'Cold Comfort', I thought it was cool (pun intended). Then I read reviews from The Animated Batman and World's Finest and read the 'Frostbite' essay from that site, watched it again and I HATED it! I couldn't believe Nora would marry her doctor or Mr. Freeze would drop a bomb on the whole city, it seemed out of character and when writing about My Top 10 DCAU Episodes, I listed TNBA's Growing Pains and called CC a WTF?! episode. It was just that bad to me.

Then I happened to pick this comic and read it with a DEEEP loss of faith in the story. Boy, was I wrong. The comic not only redeemed Freeze, it brought us a whole new perspective on just how much he loves Nora. The art by Templeton is fantastic. So fantastic in fact, I'm sending a request to some of the folks to scan and display some of their favourite pages and say what 'The Quote of the Story' was. :anime:

Just wow.

tmnachobat is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    BgA # 5 gives us a better story than th eone seen in cold comfort.
    The art is great
    Templeton and Burchett r my fav artists in the whole batman adventures comics!!
    Hey... we should create a post saying who r our fav artists!

Nora Fries is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmnachobat View Post
    BgA # 5 gives us a better story than th eone seen in cold comfort.
    The art is great
    Templeton and Burchett r my fav artists in the whole batman adventures comics!!
    Hey... we should create a post saying who r our fav artists!
    Good idea

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is this set before or after "Cold Comfort"? Also, are any of the Mr. Freeze stories in the Adventures books worth buying? I ask because there was something a little bit jarring about "Cold Comfort" and I'm wondering if any of the Mr. Freeze comic stories can redeem that feeling.
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast