toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: How would you rate "Dreams in Darkness?"

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll

15 38.46%
  • ****1/2

8 20.51%

9 23.08%
  • ***1/2

5 12.82%

2 5.13%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Discuss this classic Batman: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #028 - Dreams In Darkness
    Original Airdate - November 3rd, 1992.

When Batman attempts to thwart the Scarecrow's plan to poison Gotham's water supply with a chemical that induces non-stop nightmares and hallucinations, the Dark Knight is infected with the concoction. Unable to tell reality from fantasy, he is committed to Arkham Asylum. He must find a way to escape and stop the Scarecrow from plunging the people of Gotham into a nightmare without end.

Comments?
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Caped Crusader is offline Batman--The Dark Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember this being a good episode, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. CN is airing it tonight at 2:30am (ET).
    Thug: "W-who are you?"
    Batman: "I’m your worst nightmare!"--"Pretty Poison"
    -------------------------
    If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. —Romans 10:9

The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

****1/2

"The great Batman, scared out of his mind! How does it feel?" - The Scarecrow, Dreams In Darkness

This is an excellent episode. It really gave us something different you don't see from the "typical" BTAS episode.

Batman telling the story himself was an interesting aspect to the episode. On the surface he may have been going insane, but inside he was still in control.

The part when Batman is below Arkham and encounters the 'villains' plus Alfred and Robin is a very interesting part of his gas induced paranoia. Each one becomes more and more bizarre as his fear deepens and expands. A rat becomes The Joker, who stands there laughing at the Dark Knight. Then The Penguin forms out of the ground and grows till his umbrella reaches the top of the cavern. Penguin lets out a scream and out pops Two-Face, Bruce's former friend Harvey Dent. Batman's mind has obviously gotten further away from him at this point, because of the demented version of the Two-Face theme heard in the background. His terrible visions conclude with the vines of Poison Ivy and the two men he trusts and cares about above all—Alfred and Robin telling him he is doomed. The end to the visions show how Bats is trapped in Scarecrow's twisted world of fear.

Much like Robin did in Fear of Victory, Batman is able to overcome his fears when he pulls the snake/cord out of the wall. The fact that when he does the pulling it is no longer a snake and has returned to a cable shows he has won out over fear.

The Scarecrow cowering in fear of his own fear gas was a fitting end to the villain's scheme. No one is without fear.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Zoddman is offline Made for your pleasure
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WOW. How could I forget this episode. This has to be one of the best episodes of BTAS. While watching the reruns lately, most episodes haven't been able to stand to the test of time. But this one is still as good as I remember it being. GREAT!
    "I love dead. Hate living."

JTurner954 is offline Paradigm City, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    4 stars

There is no such thing as a bad Batman episode as far as I'm concerned.

ricktimus is offline hah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw this episode last night and all I can say is "Wow", I'm not really a big fan of the cartoons, just watch them when I have a chance or stuff. But this was a very cool, very dark episode.

I give it 5 of these things *****.

By the way, I'm a new guy around these boards.

Caped Crusader is offline Batman--The Dark Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the boards, Cranks!

5 stars! This episode was just as good as I remembered. I thought Batman's hallucination scenes were very well done. One of my favorite parts was when he overcame his fear in the end, and broke the snake/wire. Great episode!

BTW, I always preferred this Scarecrow's look over the TNBA one. I think he looked more like a scarecrow.
    Thug: "W-who are you?"
    Batman: "I’m your worst nightmare!"--"Pretty Poison"
    -------------------------
    If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. —Romans 10:9

wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does it stand the test of time? In other words, was it still as good an episode as when I first saw it back in '92? Mostly. The hallucination scenes were animated bits of glory. Maxie Zues, in his Episode Guide "Batman: Animated" had some harsh things to say about the episode. Such as Batman's line "word on the street was that something was going down" was a bit too cliche'. In retrospect, listening to Kevin Conroy speak throughout the flashback scene was a bit....corny? And another point has been made that Scarecrow's motivation was never properly developed. Tend to agree with that. First episode he's in, he wants revenge, ala Mr. Freeze. Second episode he's in, he wants money. Here, he wants to conduct a mass experiment. Still, I like this design and voice for the Scarecrow compared to TNBA voice.

I like how they show us the meek little man under the mask in the original series. We never saw his face again in TNBA. Most people say he looks more menacing without taking off the mask, but that misses the point. We're supposed to be reminded that underneath this fearful form lies just a meek little worn, who was bullyed to much as a child.

The Penguin is offline Moderator of Fowl Play
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Some though I'd gone mad, others thought I always had been. So they put me, where they thought I belonged." - Batman, Dreams In Darkness

Well it took me long enough, but I finally found time to 'talkback' on this episode. Look to post number 2.
    "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves." - Henry David Thoreau

Brainiac is offline You've forced my hand.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure how I could forget this episode, but it was very good. I liked the idea of the Scarecrow conducting a mass experiment, but would he really have put a giant clock up to tell him when it would be released? A bit cliched, but still a good ep. My only main problem is regarding the hallucinations Batman had. I really liked how they played out, and the animation was great. But in the first episode with the Scarecrow, "Nothing to Fear," I got the idea that Batman's only true fear was being a failure to his parents, as well as the death of his parents. Suddenly, he's hallucinating about his rogues gallery of villains, which just seemed out of character. I never thought Batman was actually afraid of them...But aside from that, I thought it was a really good episode. 4 stars!

~Brainiac
    "A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have."
    -Roger Rabbit

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light."
    -Stanley Kubrick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast