Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
    TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Hmm. Yeah, Kirk does 'abrasive jerk' type a lot different than Fillion. lol. In retrospect, I can better understand why Andrea Romano stressed wanting to keep as many of the War cast in future movies as possible.
    The problem is that character doesn't fit Hal Jordan at all. Except this bizarro New 52 version of him where he talks and acts like Ryan Reynolds from that box office flop.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Yojimbo is online now Yes, have some.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    The problem is that character doesn't fit Hal Jordan at all. Except this bizarro New 52 version of him where he talks and acts like Ryan Reynolds from that box office flop.
    I had reservations about Hal Jordan, Superman and Billy Batson's portrayals in War in particular. But all characters are open to be reinterpreted as storytellers see fit. I admit at first, I thought it was a some long joke where the payoff is they will introduce an even more abrasive jerk in a future movie like Guy Gardner and by proximity, Jordan "mellows" out.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: May 4, 2015
    Twitter: DCAUResource

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I had reservations about Hal Jordan, Superman and Billy Batson's portrayals in War in particular. But all characters are open to be reinterpreted as storytellers see fit. I admit at first, I thought it was a some long joke where the payoff is they will introduce an even more abrasive jerk in a future movie like Guy Gardner and by proximity, Jordan "mellows" out.
    Characters can be reinterpreted, however, that does not mean the reinterpretations will be exceptional. Quite frankly, I am not sure why this is not just Guy Gardner Green Lantern since the personas are very similar.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Yojimbo is online now Yes, have some.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Characters can be reinterpreted, however, that does not mean the reinterpretations will be exceptional. Quite frankly, I am not sure why this is not just Guy Gardner Green Lantern since the personas are very similar.
    I would like to see what Mr. Tucker and Corson's reply would be if someone asked about this at a panel.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: May 4, 2015
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Frontier is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think they'd probably say that they just went off his portrayal in the work they adapted, Goeff Johns' first arc of the New 52 Justice League, where he was for the most part like that. Or go along with the idea of Hal being very young in terms of his career and how that results in how he acts for most of War. Again, Hal's portrayal in the comic arc wasn't very flattering, which extended to the movie adaption, and is a stark contrast to how Johns' usually wrote him in the main Green Lantern book.

To this day I think it was just a result of Johns, considering his involvement with the movie, writing him to be more akin to Reynolds' portrayal of the character in the movie with the result ultimately being unsuccessful.

That said, I think a lot of the portrayals from War that received less than positive reception were definitely improved upon for Throne of Atlantis and that includes Green lantern .

As far as reinterpretations go, I think they're fine so long as they don't go too far and still honor the core of the character and what they should represent. I think a reinterpretation definitely fails when it does that character a disservice and causes more people to dislike them, though that can sometimes be subjective .
    Last edited by Frontier; 01-25-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: War -> Throne of Atlantis

Troy Troodon is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well... it's better than the first movie... but I still got a hard time saying it's good.

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Per "Super PR Guy" Gary Miereanu, the snowstorm hitting the Northeast has affected the Paley Center event for Throne of Atlantis. There'll still be content tonight, though:

Sadly, #JLAtlantis event @paleycenter tonight is cancelled. Yahoo Screen to stream taped panel discussion at 8pmET on http://paley.me/aqua
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    With the official release of Justice League: Throne of Atlantis to home video, this thread is closed. Please continue the discussions in the official talkback threads.