Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I think a lot of you are not thinking about this through the context of people not being familiar with the comics and having no idea who these characters are.
    Yeah and the same can be said for anyone watching Avatar The Last Airbender, Ben 10 or Adventure Time for, well the first time.

But to go into lesser known comic book territory, Blade had several successful movies despite not only lack of recognition, but being marketed to a more restricted audience.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I think a lot of you are not thinking about this through the context of people not being familiar with the comics and having no idea who these characters are. As I said, back in 2003 I never knew what a Teen Titan was and I had no clue who Starfire, Cyborg, Beastboy and Raven were. These characters were all new to me at the time. Your average joe, or even people who grew up watching the DCAU...did not know who most of these characters were until animation.

Hell until JLU I never knew who Green Arrow, Black Canary, The Question, Huntress, etc. were at all. That was my first exposure to those characters. I imagine for many others it was the same. The only reason I knew who Wonder Woman/Aquaman/Flash, etc. were,before the DCAU was simply because I saw reruns of Superfriends on CN in the early 90's.

When Teen Titans was first announced I remember saying, "Why are they giving Robin this spinoff show with these random superheroes? Are these characters made up for the show? And why is Robin here without Batman?"

I bet 90% of the people watching CN at the time asked the same exact question.
    I wasn't familiar with any of the other main characters in Teen Titans either or a good portion of the heroes in JL/JLU for that matter. Even so, I still don't think that it's accurate to say that they were using Robin as a crutch. Sure, most people wouldn't be familiar with the comics or a good portion of the characters, but they didn't include Robin just to have a recognizable name in the group. That was probably a bonus, but he was included due to how he was connected to the teams in the comics, even though it was a different Robin for the Young Justice comics apparently. They could have had both series with new characters instead, but it made more sense to include Robin simply because of being one of the founding members of both teams.

Ed Liu is offline Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think a lot of you are not thinking about this through the context of people not being familiar with the comics and having no idea who these characters are.
    Whether people were familiar with the comics or not, it's a fact that the crew behind the Teen Titans TV show intended to use the most popular lineup in the New Teen Titans comic book, which is why they included Robin. It's really not any more complicated than that. If there is a point of contention, it's whether Robin was included in that lineup for the purposes you describe, and I've already detailed the reasons why I don't think that's a slam-dunk argument at all. You might be right that people were wondering "Where's Batman and why is Robin on this show with all these random other characters?" when the show premiered, but I think that's irrelevant to why Glen Murakami and the rest of the crew used Robin. This decision was driven more by tradition and continuity than because someone said, "You have to include someone recognizable to the general public."

As I said above, I think it's debatable whether Robin was included in the original comics, but I lean towards saying, "No" there also.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
    -- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

Silverstar is offline Doin' the Banana Split
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I think a lot of you are not thinking about this through the context of people not being familiar with the comics and having no idea who these characters are. As I said, back in 2003 I never knew what a Teen Titan was and I had no clue who Starfire, Cyborg, Beastboy and Raven were. These characters were all new to me at the time. Your average joe, or even people who grew up watching the DCAU...did not know who most of these characters were until animation.

Hell until JLU I never knew who Green Arrow, Black Canary, The Question, Huntress, etc. were at all. That was my first exposure to those characters. I imagine for many others it was the same. The only reason I knew who Wonder Woman/Aquaman/Flash, etc. were,before the DCAU was simply because I saw reruns of Superfriends on CN in the early 90's.

When Teen Titans was first announced I remember saying, "Why are they giving Robin this spinoff show with these random superheroes? Are these characters made up for the show? And why is Robin here without Batman?"

I bet 90% of the people watching CN at the time asked the same exact question.

If you had prior exposure to Super Friends, then I'm surprised you didn't know who Cyborg was since his first TV appearance was in Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians.

Anyway, nobody's denying any of the above, but that still isn't an instant indication that Robin was only included in the Teen Titans cartoon as a crutch to bring in viewers. It might have been a bonus, but not a crutch. I mean, really, what point are you trying to make here? If your current theory is "the only reason Robin was included in the show was because kids won't give a show a chance if it doesn't have familiar characters in it", then how do you explain the success of shows such as Ben 10, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Ninjago: Legends of Spinjitsu, Xiaolin Showdown and the countless other shows which didn't feature any pre-existing characters or concepts at all? The inclusion of Robin in the cartoon could hardly be construed as a crutch to lure in TV viewers not familiar with the comics since TT's Robin was a very different Robin from the one folks were used to seeing on TV. Heck, that show made me a fan of Robin, up to that point I just considered him a goofy sidekick (though I was vaguely aware of his comic book makeover).

Kids may not have been familiar with Teen Titans prior to the show, but the people who worked on the show clearly were, and as such it wouldn't have made a lot of sense making a series based on the most popular lineup of the New Titans team and not featuring one of its' founding members and prime movers in the show. That would like, I don't know, making an Avengers cartoon series without Iron Man, Thor or Captain America. Oh, wait...

Last edited by Silverstar; 03-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And again, Robin has been a Teen Titan from the beginning. Even if though he's the only hero the general public could recognize from the cast when the show began airing, he was in the comics from the beginning. Why would they NOT include him? You act as though Robin had little to do with the Titans in the comics when he was mainstay from the very beginning and would've likely been included no matter what.

Even if the Titans weren't popular in a mainstream context, why the heck would CN pay money to adapt them as a TV show and then not use one of the main characters? See the above Avengers example.

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu;4222377
    Heh. I find it ironic that Cap was only added to the Avengers after issue #4, and it marked his return to the pages of Marvel Comics since his last appearance in the 50's. One might argue that the Avengers did include Cap as a crutch in the comics at the time, but I don't think history would bear that out, either. The [I
    Avengers [/I]comic books were pretty positively received, as I recall, and I don't know that many comic readers at the time would have seen the addition of a character their fathers read about during the War as a selling point. I don't remember off the top of my head if there's a story for why Stan & Jack went that route.

From what I've read, it was that in one of the Human Torch's solo stories in Strange Tales that an imposter posing as Captain America showed up, and they asked readers if they wanted to see more of this old WWII character, and they said yes, and they brought him back in Avengers #4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12