Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ABrown is offline What can I say? I'm a Rebel.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    This is something that always bothered me about superheroes with no powers. Unlike Batman, these characters appear like they actually enjoy fighting crime and view it as, "fun" or "enjoyable."
    I'm talking about characters like Robin (especially when he's younger), Batgirl, Green Arrow, Huntress, etc.
    I don't recall, or at least not off the top of my head, any instances in which Robin, Batgirl, Green Arrow, or Huntress were having an inappropriate amount of fun during Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, or Young Justice. I'm assuming that we're not talking about the Teen Titans or Batman: The Brave And The Bold versions. Because those two shows were much lighter, and not meant to be taken as seriously.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    I don't recall, or at least not off the top of my head, any instances in which Robin, Batgirl, Green Arrow, or Huntress were having an inappropriate amount of fun during Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, or Young Justice. I'm assuming that we're not talking about the Teen Titans or Batman: The Brave And The Bold versions. Because those two shows were much lighter, and not meant to be taken as seriously.
    Even with those two series, I don't remember the characters having an inappropriate amount of fun either. They were both more light-hearted shows, but could pull off a serious tone and and the light hearted episodes didn't make them look like they were having too much fun fighting crime.

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Batgirl is always way too excited to be Batgirl. It's like she actually enjoys what she's doing because she always has a huge smile on her face while fighting crime. She shows no fear of being killed either.

Batman should not be putting children's lives in danger. The fact that Robin is as young as 10 when Batman first started to let him wear the Robin costume makes no sense. Why would Batman allow a 10 year old to go up against the likes of Joker and Two face?

In the comics two Robin's actually died because of this. Batman lost two Robin's to death in the comics which reinforces this.

I'm surprised Commissioner Gordon has never accused Batman of child abuse. He should not be putting very young children in danger.

Silverstar is offline Doin' the Banana Split
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Again, LOTS of things in comics and cartoons don't make sense if you try to apply real world logic to them, but escapist fiction has little to do with reality, so I really don't see what constantly complaining about such things is supposed to accomplish. DC Comics isn't going to change how they choose to portray their characters just because one person takes issue with them. My advice: just chalk it up to 'fiction logic' and roll with it; no need to over-think everything. You'll enjoy this stuff a lot more that way.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

PapaGreg is offline Getting off from violence
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    Are sure because I remeber Green Arrow snarking through a couple encontars, WildCat flat out loves to fight, and Robin is seen smiling the most out of the team
    NYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Batgirl is always way too excited to be Batgirl. It's like she actually enjoys what she's doing because she always has a huge smile on her face while fighting crime. She shows no fear of being killed either.
    She has shown fear before, so it's not like she smiles every time she fights or when she's in a dangerous situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    Batman should not be putting children's lives in danger. The fact that Robin is as young as 10 when Batman first started to let him wear the Robin costume makes no sense. Why would Batman allow a 10 year old to go up against the likes of Joker and Two face?

In the comics two Robin's actually died because of this. Batman lost two Robin's to death in the comics which reinforces this.

I'm surprised Commissioner Gordon has never accused Batman of child abuse. He should not be putting very young children in danger.
    I'm pretty sure Robin was a bit older before Batman allowed him to fight crime with him. In any case, if we apply any actual logic, Batman would have been killed off within a few weeks after beginning his career as a crime fighter and his secret identity would have been public knowledge relatively quickly after he became Batman too. With something like this, it's best to just go with a suspension of disbelief. Teenage crime fighters isn't more ridiculous than super powered heroes or aliens from alternate dimensions, so I don't see the issue. I'm also pretty sure that most of the Robins, if not all of them, decided to fight crime for their own reasons and Batman doesn't initially jump on board with the idea given the obvious danger. Since they won't listen to him and they often prove themselves to them through a major confrontation with a villain, he does take them under his wing so that they can be prepared and in at least Dick's case, they won't become exactly like he did.

ABrown is offline What can I say? I'm a Rebel.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I never was a huge fan of Bruce taking a 13 year old (or how ever old Tim was exactly supposed to be) out crime fighting with him. How long was Tim supposed to have been training with Bruce for? Maybe a few months at most. It didn't seem like the most responsible thing to do. I assumed, or at least hoped that Dick had trained with Bruce for years before going out at night with him.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Superheroes are not supposed to be "fun"
    Says who?

This seems like a troll topic. Wow, how boring would comics and cartoons and all of that be if every hero, superpowered or not, was all dark and angsty? I enjoy my dark and angsty comics but I also enjoy my fun and bright comics too. I'm glad for the variety. There are no set rules for what superheroes are supposed to be, and I'm very thankful for that.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Superheroes as people aren't as afraid to die as anyone else. Or if they are afraid to die, they're able to accept that and overcome it because they think superheroing is worth it. Batgirl knows she could die every time she goes out, and accepting that has liberated her to do what she does and enjoy it. If she was worried and scared at all times she'd be a terrible crime fighter.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

RoryWilliams is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So why is Dick constantly shown to be cracking jokes and lighthearted when in costume no matter what show it is? Whether it was B:TAS, Teen Titans or Young Justice they always portray Dick Grayson as carefree and light spirited. He's always the source of comic relief unless there's something major going on..
    Because otherwise Robin as a character has no point. Robin was literally invented to give Batman a lighthearted sidekick to counterbalance the dark aspects and give kids someone to relate to.

Superheroes are not supposed to be, "fun" unless its aimed at very little kids like Teen Titans Go and is purposely silly.
    You do realize children are by and large the primary audience for superhero content, right? No not comics. Comics are small peanuts. The cartoons, movies, and toy lines? Those aren't aimed at adults, at least not strictly. The term "periphery demographic" exists for a reason.

A young teen should not be happy about jumping across rooftops and punching bad guys in the face especially since one bullet will put you out of commission. The idea of Batman putting his sidekicks into harms way makes no sense at all.
    It makes as much sense as saying a exposure to a different color sun lets you lift up buildings and breathe ice or that getting struck by lightning lets you run faster.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123