Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on this "Beware The Batman" Episode!

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll

5 55.56%
  • ****1/2

2 22.22%

0 0%

0 0%

2 22.22%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beware The Batman "Fall" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Discuss this Beware The Batman episode, making its debut on the Beware The Batman - Season One, Part One: Shadows of Gotham home video release (DVD/Blu-ray Talkback)!

Beware The Batman
    Episode #13 "Fall"
    Original Airdate - February 18th, 2014 (Home Video Release)

With the might of the League of Assassins behind him, Ra’s Al Ghul comes to Gotham and steals the Ion Cortex for his own use. And even Batman is powerless to stop him.

Comments?

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved the use of flashbacks because in the end, it was Alfred having to take his own advice.

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An excellent episode and a great way to end the first half! It was great seeing most of the threads of the season coming together. Ra's al Ghul sounded a bit different from how regal he usually sounds, and more like a pulp series villain, which worked fine. He proved to be a great threat for Batman. If I had to be nitpicky, I'm a bit sad he didn't call him "Detective".

The flashbacks were interesting and it was nice to have Alfred's character fleshed out for once. Though him killing Tatsu's father in self-defense is an interesting twist, I doubt they'll actually go there, since we didn't see the specifics before Alfred ran away. I do wonder if death via the Soultaker will be a permanent thing or will there be something that would allow souls to return to their bodies.

In the grand tradition of action shows that get cancelled, we ended on a massive cliffhanger. It makes the following episode title, "Darkness", make a lot of sense. I also see this as an opportunity for someone like Anarky to thrive. We shall see.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: Ultimate Spider-Man "Spider-Verse" Review

webmonkey44 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post
    An excellent episode and a great way to end the first half! It was great seeing most of the threads of the season coming together. Ra's al Ghul sounded a bit different from how regal he usually sounds, and more like a pulp series villain, which worked fine. He proved to be a great threat for Batman. If I had to be nitpicky, I'm a bit sad he didn't call him "Detective".

The flashbacks were interesting and it was nice to have Alfred's character fleshed out for once. Though him killing Tatsu's father in self-defense is an interesting twist, I doubt they'll actually go there, since we didn't see the specifics before Alfred ran away. I do wonder if death via the Soultaker will be a permanent thing or will there be something that would allow souls to return to their bodies.

In the grand tradition of action shows that get cancelled, we ended on a massive cliffhanger. It makes the following episode title, "Darkness", make a lot of sense. I also see this as an opportunity for someone like Anarky to thrive. We shall see.
    so why is the dvd marked part 1 one then.

Ed Liu is offline Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think this final episode was easily one of the best in the series (even if I have the vague sense that the Ion Cortex is more scientifically implausible than it needs to be). I love how they're borrowing elements of the comics and the live-action movies in their depiction of Ra's al-Ghul, though we don't seem to have a direct answer to why he was in that glass coffin in "Sacrifice" or what they needed to do to get him out of it. Personally, I suspect something with the Soultaker Sword related to the incident in the first flashback in this episode, which is also why he didn't show up in Gotham until after Lady Shiva had the Soultaker in her possession. If my guess is right about that, then it also suggests that the Soultaker's reversal spell is real and known, and maybe things aren't quite as hopeless as they seem for Bethanie Ravenscroft or Jason Burr (and possibly even Katana's father).

Speaking of which, I wonder where they're going with the revelations of those flashbacks, and what it means for Katana and Alfred's relationship. Need to chew on that more.

It's also in keeping with the quiet, organic development of the series that Batman and Katana work together like clockwork during the truck chase and the assault on the power plant, considering how relatively recently in show terms they came together and the conflicts they had in working styles even as recently as "Sacrifice." Cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post
    Latest news is still that episodes 14-26 are nearly done, if not done already by now. There's always the possibility that WB won't release them in any form, but I doubt that will happen. Regardless of how I feel about their tendency towards corporate dysfunction, the investment in those episodes has already been made. At this point, not releasing them is essentially throwing away money and I don't think the bean-counters will allow that kind of thing.

I wonder if this show wouldn't do better as a DTV release rather than something aired on TV. Drop 'em all on discs and iTunes, you could even follow the same "DVD to stores, Blu-ray to Warner Archive" strategy, and see what happens. Increasingly, I wonder about the viability of the existing business models for action cartoons on TV, and the rise of live-action series that are going direct to destinations other than TV make me wonder when someone's going to do the math and figure out how to make that work for animation. Unfortunately, right this very minute, the only corporate entity that seems to have the ability and inclination to make that happen would be Disney.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"...ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
    -- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

the_joker is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very good episode. There could've been a more concrete explanation of Ra's Al Ghul's resurrection though, and I'm guessing the soultaker sword helped with that.

Also didn't expect Batman to take the beating he did. Wasn't expecting Batman to win since the League has tough opponents, but I didn't think he'd be captured here. He'll get out with help from Alfred's advices I'm guessing, or maybe with help?

Flashbacks were definitely great in here. Young Bruce seems quite aggressive (?), or at least more so than other versions I've seen outside of comics. Alfred was supposedly supposed to have a more active role in this show compared to other incarnations, and he still wasn't that active for the most part. Maybe this episode or event will move him in that direction.

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    If my guess is right about that, then it also suggests that the Soultaker's reversal spell is real and known, and maybe things aren't quite as hopeless as they seem for Bethanie Ravenscroft or Jason Burr (and possibly even Katana's father).
    I re-watched the episode recently, and just noticed the Batcomputer working on the reversal spell, even mentioning that it will conveniently download it to Batman's cowl when its complete. Though I have the feeling that Edogawa didn't die by Soultaker Sword.

It's also in keeping with the quiet, organic development of the series that Batman and Katana work together like clockwork during the truck chase and the assault on the power plant, considering how relatively recently in show terms they came together and the conflicts they had in working styles even as recently as "Sacrifice." Cool stuff.
    I've always enjoyed that, though Batman has some things to teach Katana about, they both have different and effective methods. It creates for a very different relationship between them, instead of re-hashing the same dynamic with any of the Robins or Batgirls.

Quote Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
    Flashbacks were definitely great in here. Young Bruce seems quite aggressive (?), or at least more so than other versions I've seen outside of comics. Alfred was supposedly supposed to have a more active role in this show compared to other incarnations, and he still wasn't that active for the most part. Maybe this episode or event will move him in that direction.
    We usually don't have young Bruce explored much sometime after the death of his parents in animation. The only other time was briefly in Brave and the Bold's "Chill of the Night", in the recreation of the candlelight oath. In both cases, it is unsettling seeing a kid like that act like Batman.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: Ultimate Spider-Man "Spider-Verse" Review

Coach McGuirk is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just watched this. What a great episode. Ras Al Ghul worked well. There was no mention of him being 600 years old or so, and I wonder if this angle is not going to be a part of this version of Ras. I never liked the immortal aspect, so I wouldn't mind.

The flashbacks were very welcome, as its interesting to see Bruce's past. This version was different, because we've never seen Alfred in this role of being a trainer for young Bruce.

Those evergreen trees covered in snow looked really good. I felt that the animation in this show progressively improved over the course of the season.

There's much to look forward to, assuming that the rest of the series will be released to DVD. How will Batman stop Ras Al Ghul? When will Gordon fully accept Batman? Will Barbara ever become Batgirl? Will the souls be released from the Soultaker Sword? What will become of Tatsu's and Jason's relationship?

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Great 13th episode. I love that the League of Assassins have been sort of cemented as generational threat with the flashback revealing Alfred went after them. Interesting way to use the flashbacks to show how Alfred came to be responsible for two. But yeah, maybe 14 will explain more on Ra's and obviously his overall plan. That fight was brutal. But driving Alfred's lesson to home.

Maybe it was just me, but when Bruce got the criminal with the brick, I thought he was Jack Napier. lol. Another funny moment was the Batcomputer taking "offense" to Batman's comment about the reversal spell.

Edit: A few more things. Pretty cool they connected the Soul Taker to the Scythians - basically ancient Iranian tribes. The Icarus reference was a pretty cool way to frame things - Batman not acknowledging his limits like Icarus and manifested as Batman gliding around the Batcave and getting his butt kicked by Ra's.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: December 19, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

RoyalRubble is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode, probably my favorite from this 13 episodes batch. A good introduction to Ra's al Ghul (though some details on his resurrection haven't been revealed yet), some really great flashbacks, surprisingly enough not really about Bruce Wayne but rather Alfred, and as usual some good fight scenes - pretty brutal, actually considering the way Ra's took care of Batman. I like how the direction the show is going isn't that obvious, since it leads to some neat surprises, and takes time to build some future story-lines. It'll be interesting to see how things will work out, and more revelations regarding both Ra's and Alfred's pasts.

Also, a great cliffhanger ending. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long until the next episodes pop up somewhere.
    "Are you insinuating that I may have previous knowledge as to the outcome of this imbroglio?" - Top Cat
    "With great powers comes great responsibility... and free peanuts." - Johnny Bravo
    "Faster than a regular sheep... More powerful than a regular sheep... Able to leap a regular sheep in a single bound." - Sheep in the Big City

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast