Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obtaining DC Rights?

Like This Thread!
    Before I go on a tirade of searching and since this project is a little down the road, I figured I'd ask here since a lot of people are in the know and I might get some helpful hints before starting.

In the past, any intellectual property I've dealt with has been my own or the company's I'm representing, so this is a little new territory for me: the idea has been presented for a future development project I am working on that we might consider employing DC Characters for it.

From my quick research, I've found DC generally tends to prefer royalties for the products in question, but much more then that, I couldn't find any REAL feedback on how much DC charges for use of their characters up front on products they approve.

Does anyone here have any insight on costing and/or who TPTB actually are that need to be contacted beyond submitting DC's general solicitation form?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthammer View Post
    Before I go on a tirade of searching and since this project is a little down the road, I figured I'd ask here since a lot of people are in the know and I might get some helpful hints before starting. In the past, any intellectual property I've dealt with has been my own or the company's I'm representing, so this is a little new territory for me: the idea has been presented for a future development project I am working on that we might consider employing DC Characters for it. From my quick research, I've found DC generally tends to prefer royalties for the products in question, but much more then that, I couldn't find any REAL feedback on how much DC charges for use of their characters up front on products they approve. Does anyone here have any insight on costing and/or who TPTB actually are that need to be contacted beyond submitting DC's general solicitation form? Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
    http://www.warnerbros.com/studio/ser...licensing.html
    http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/o...er-of-control/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea --- I was asking about a little more "inside info".

The fact I mentioned "submitting DC's general solicitation form" should suggest I already know about the direct, up front avenue =P.

Please, lets not throw things in this thread that you can very easily Google in 30 seconds. That's somewhat insulting to the intelligence of the average college educated person in today's world to think that's not the first thing people would find =(.

Why I asked here is there's plenty of people here who have been in contact with people directly at DC already, have talked to people directly at DC already or have talked to them at various conventions. THAT'S the sort of information I'm hoping to someone might have and willing to toss out.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea --- I was asking about a little more "inside info". The fact I mentioned "submitting DC's general solicitation form" should suggest I already know about the direct, up front avenue =P. Please, lets not throw things in this thread that you can very easily Google in 30 seconds. That's somewhat insulting to the intelligence of the average college educated person in today's world to think that's not the first thing people would find =(. Why I asked here is there's plenty of people here who have been in contact with people directly at DC already, have talked to people directly at DC already or have talked to them at various conventions. THAT'S the sort of information I'm hoping to someone might have and willing to toss out.
    I honestly think the second link, about style guides, is extremely informative and full of inside info. But it would help to know what license category you're looking into as well.

Shawn Hopkins is online now TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When a media person gives you a personal contact, they kind of give it to you with an idea that you won't spread it around to anyone who asks. So, yeah, maybe me and Dan DiDio are best buddies, but we wouldn't be for long if I gave his phone number to you.

But mainly, you need to go through the licensing department for this kind of thing anyway, so contacts with creative people won't help you much.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    When a media person gives you a personal contact, they kind of give it to you with an idea that you won't spread it around to anyone who asks. So, yeah, maybe me and Dan DiDio are best buddies, but we wouldn't be for long if I gave his phone number to you.

But mainly, you need to go through the licensing department for this kind of thing anyway, so contacts with creative people won't help you much.
    I can understand and respect that. In the same vein, I'm not about to give out Greg Street and Bill Ropers personal contact information even though both still routinely ask me for my opinions; but thats not wholly what I was seeking either. Those sorts of contacts are only continue through honesty and the forthright knowledge you're not going to abuse them or shop them out.

What I was more looking for is what sorts of deals the community has heard about in the past that DC has actually entertained and some of the details of it. Basically the sorts of things that I should really know for examples of what were and weren't successful projects in the past.

A good example that I love to know more details about for instance is Underarmor's relationship with Alterego line, the DC Line at Hot Topic, Mead's DC Line, Toy Lines, or Card Lines. What kind of deals were made? What kind of details were made between the companies?

The meat of the details is what I'm interested in right now.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can understand and respect that. In the same vein, I'm not about to give out Greg Street and Bill Ropers personal contact information even though both still routinely ask me for my opinions; but thats not wholly what I was seeking either. Those sorts of contacts are only continue through honesty and the forthright knowledge you're not going to abuse them or shop them out. What I was more looking for is what sorts of deals the community has heard about in the past that DC has actually entertained and some of the details of it. Basically the sorts of things that I should really know for examples of what were and weren't successful projects in the past. A good example that I love to know more details about for instance is Underarmor's relationship with Alterego line, the DC Line at Hot Topic, Mead's DC Line, Toy Lines, or Card Lines. What kind of deals were made? What kind of details were made between the companies? The meat of the details is what I'm interested in right now.
    What gets produced says a lot about DC's priorities. For example, three companies produced figures of Dawn "Dove" Granger in the same year, around the time of brightest day in the comics- DC direct, Mattel and Tonner Dolls. I don't think it's any accident hot topic sold logo shirts like those on young justice when the show was on the air. I'd maybe look up some of the things Toyguru has written as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordesman View Post
    What gets produced says a lot about DC's priorities. For example, three companies produced figures of Dawn "Dove" Granger in the same year, around the time of brightest day in the comics- DC direct, Mattel and Tonner Dolls. I don't think it's any accident hot topic sold logo shirts like those on young justice when the show was on the air. I'd maybe look up some of the things Toyguru has written as well.
    Thanks, thats actually a helpful direction.

Like I suggested, I'm really looking for what I'll need to be arming myself with in negociations if we actually go in this direction.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, thats actually a helpful direction. Like I suggested, I'm really looking for what I'll need to be arming myself with in negociations if we actually go in this direction.
    Are you looking at mass retail or more specialty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordesman View Post
    Are you looking at mass retail or more specialty?
    Actually, both. The hope is mostly to do something similar to what Underarmor and ***** did the Alter Ego brand, but the hope is that Walmart and Target would have interest too.

I hope you'll understand / appreciate I do need to be cryptic at this stage.

Just now I'm actually making some mock ups of our designs to see if the powers that be want to pursue the rights to begin with (so its still a ways, ways, ways off).

/Edit
    Huh, I just noticed is filtered if you type it out. Fun!
    Last edited by Lighthammer; 02-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast