toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on this Movie - "Justice League: War"

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll

5 25.00%
  • ****1/2

2 10.00%

3 15.00%
  • ***1/2

6 30.00%

1 5.00%
  • **1/2

2 10.00%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 5.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

I hope this sold well myself. On Twitter, it seemed really popular, anyway.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Justice League: War is a considerably faithful adaptation of Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's 2011-2012 story arc Justice League: Origin, which ran for six issues and not only kicked off a brand new monthly comic for the League but also the company wide relaunch of DC Comics known as 'The New 52'. Origin stories were altered, the time-line reshuffled, personalities tweaked and beloved characters with long, laborious histories re-thought from the the ground up. The reboot and this storyline in particular produced two sure-fire things: sales and disgruntled fan-boys.

My own opinion on the reboot was mostly one of indifference. My favourite character, Batman, was largely left untouched. Sure, they condensed his entire history (Robins and all) into an absurd five year time span, but he was still the gruff, intelligent Dark Knight who liked to dress in grey and black and fight bad guys, while being surrounded by a great supporting cast. After a few months, you don't even notice the 'stitching' on his new costume. However, other characters, such as Superman and Wonder Woman, were more radically changed and for better or for worse, it's all being shoved in my face with the latest DC Universe Original Movie.

Now, I've always considered myself as someone who is remarkably easy to please. I'm ashamed to say, I was watching Catwoman (2004) the other night and found myself saying, ''Huh, I can kind of see what they were going for in this scene... I mean, they failed, but I can still see it''. Horrendous, I know. However, at the end of the day, it boils down to one thing... Was I entertained? And yes, despite it's many, MANY flaws, I was mildly entertained by Justice League: War.

As the movie opens, it's clear what we are in for; action, action and more action with a few explosions thrown in for good measure. The story is essentially this – Darkseid decides to invade the earth and our seven heroes must find each other and overcome their differences to stop the world from being destroyed. Oh, and Cyborg gets and origin story as well. This tale has been told many times before and often so much more competently, such as in 2001's Justice League: Secret Origins. The story lacks substance and any kind of meaningful cohesion. The film's attempts at drawing some kind of emotional reaction from it's viewers is rather strained with a wafer thin father-son plot involving Silas and Vic. The whole thing certainly pales in comparison to the poignant and heartbreaking backbone of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, concerning Barry and his mother.

As for the all important characterizations, the movie fares somewhat better. Batman Flash, Cyborg and Shazam are all pretty much what you'd expect and hit all the required beats admirably. However, Green Lantern is now an overly arrogant jerk, Superman comes across as a cocky bully (more 16 year old jock than 20 something superhero) and Wonder Woman is a blood-thirsty 8 year old who loves ice-cream. Naturally, you do get used to these new versions as the movie progresses but they are still quite jarring and, at times, unpleasant to watch.

The two plot points that I truly hated and which most definitely soured the movie for me was the sickening puppy dog love romance burgeoning between Superman and Wonder Woman and Superman the murderer rearing his ugly head again. First, the romance – I never liked the idea of Clark and Diana getting involved as it always seem highly forced and unnatural to me. I'm not saying it's a bad plot development, it's just one I don't particularly care for and hope is nipped in the bud as quickly as possible. As for the scene where Superman kills you-know-who, let's just say it was cheap and unnecessary and leave it at that.

While the narrative aspect of this production leaves much to be desired (None of which I blame Heath Corson for, but rather the intrinsic nature of The New 52), the animation fares much better. Not that I'm all that surprised as the rather fantastic Jay Oliva is handling directing duties. He seems incredibly intuitive about this sort of stuff and has a very smart and capable grasp of what works and what doesn't work for these animated features, all the while experimenting and pushing the envelope despite the limited budget. This line is very lucky to have him. The animation is fluid, dynamic and aggressive, expertly bringing the always entertaining (If at times exhausting) fight/battle sequences to life. The background and character designs are mostly adequate. However Gotham and Metropolis looked no different from each other and that can only be described as disappointing after the distinct looks we got in the Bruce Timm cartoons. Plus, as I mentioned before, I really disliked Batman's thin, curvy ears, but apart from that everyone looked quite good.

As usual, Andrea Romano does a pretty good job with the casting and pulls decent performances from all her actors. I found all the voices suitable, which is a relief considering we will soon be hearing more of them in future productions, schedules permitting. While I will always miss Kevin Conroy behind the microphone and believe no one can match his brilliance (certainly at his peak), Jason O' Mara, fellow Irish man, is off to a very promising start and got much better as he went along. Not to mention sounding totally on point in the Son of Batman preview. I can't say I enjoyed Darkseid's modified voice, but then they totally butchered his character anyway so it makes no real difference. A quick shout-out to Kevin Kilesch for a more effective score than his forgettable Superman: Unbound effort.

So ultimately, a disappointing entry in the DCU line, but by no means the terrible abomination I've heard some say it is. It's faults lie in the source material for the most part. I'm still intrigued that it's kicking off a DTV continuity, but it's a shame that it had to be with a League I don't much care for at the moment. A better developed villian and a deeper storyline for our favourite heroes and we could have been looking at a truly promising start. Oh well, here's to ironing out the kinks. In the meantime, I think I'll go watch Justice League: Starcrossed again.

6/10.
    Michelle Pfeiffer:
    Cool Rider, Catwoman, Diamond and all round Goddess
    http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad xx

Lord Sidious is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To the people who is mad about changing Aquaman for Shazam,

i think the change was great!!! In the comics, the writers can cover up Aquaman's limitations.

But in a live action, you can see how Aquaman will just slow down the rest of the Supers.

When fighting Darkseid, they were traveling vast distances where Aquaman can never keep up. He is truly a fish out of water compared to Supers that can fly, a being that can run at light speed, and a billionaire who has his own bat jet.

And please don't say that one of them can just lift him there, to be honest that is very degrading. If someone has to lift you there then you don't belong there. I don't mind if it was just a normal transport like GL did to Bats in the beginning but when a whole War is going on and you have to worry about carrying someone there every time the battle moved to another location is just a hindrance.

Yes he is formidable in Flashpoint Paradox, Trapped in Time and most likely in Throne of Atlantis, but the writers really have to put him in a place for him to really keep up. Unlike other Supers who doesn't have that limitation, the writers can freely write their story without even worrying about how this guy can keep up.

P. S. I also put Green Arrow, Black Canary, The Question and other Supers who can't fly on that category. That is why except for the jet riding Batman, they are rarely part of the big 7.

I said it before, if DC makes Aquaman fly like the Sub Mariner, he will be up there.

Or have him have his own Flying Sea Horse like the Shining Knight has Winged Victory.

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sidious View Post
    To the people who is mad about changing Aquaman for Shazam,

i think the change was great!!! In the comics, the writers can cover up Aquaman's limitations.

But in a live action, you can see how Aquaman will just slow down the rest of the Supers.
    This wasn't live action, this was animation.

When fighting Darkseid, they were traveling vast distances where Aquaman can never keep up. He is truly a fish out of water compared to Supers that can fly, a being that can run at light speed, and a billionaire who has his own bat jet.

And please don't say that one of them can just lift him there, to be honest that is very degrading. If someone has to lift you there then you don't belong there. I don't mind if it was just a normal transport like GL did to Bats in the beginning but when a whole War is going on and you have to worry about carrying someone there every time the battle moved to another location is just a hindrance.

Yes he is formidable in Flashpoint Paradox, Trapped in Time and most likely in Throne of Atlantis, but the writers really have to put him in a place for him to really keep up. Unlike other Supers who doesn't have that limitation, the writers can freely write their story without even worrying about how this guy can keep up.
    He can leap tall buildings in a single bound as of the New 52 for whatever that's worth. I suppose he probably could have kept pace with the others leaping across the buildings and gotten a shot of jumping Darkseid from behind & trying to strangle him - or a crazy 300-Spartan style jump attack trying to ram his Triton into Darkseid's face (think Stilios jumping out of the Spartan "turtle" formation & stabbing a Persian with his spear as he lands). Nothing personal against Shazam-the-hero-formerly-known-as-Captain-Marvel but he didn't really add that much to the story other than being another flying brick, and one who happened to be dressed like a giant Coca-Cola can.

Sadly I have a feeling that if they do eventually make an animated adaptation of "Throne of Atlantis" to spotlight Aquaman it'll just come off feeling like a rehash of "A Fish Story" and "Enemy Below" from the DCAU, a fear I'm pretty sure someone else on this site expressed, just can't remember which thread. "Throne of Atlantis" is Aquaman's "Tower of Babel" - he kept a secret from the League for years and then that secret blew up in his face. The drama in the story stems from the fact that the other heroes had known Aquaman for years yet he hadn't been honest with them about Atlantis and its plans for attacking the surface in case of emergency. If Aquaman just shows up out of nowhere to warn the JLA like Paul Revere yelling "The Redcoats Are Coming!" you lose the drama.

Yojimbo is online now R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Over a month late...I got sick twice....but here's my official review of War. It's pretty much just a formalized version of bits of posts I've made here before but I didn't realize how much I didn't really like this movie until I wrote out the review. First time I was mixed on the voice cast. Superman, Green Lantern, Shazam, and Darkseid weren't my cup of tea. And looking at everything, I essentially concluded this movie was secretly a Wonder Woman movie even though I hated the protest scene. lol. Rating: 3/5
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 24, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Alph is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I enjoyed this movie. The story was pretty standard fare, but it had great action and I really liked how they portrayed the different heroes. Superman is the only one I was not so satisfied with, as he should have been more mild mannered and friendlier.

I don't really understand complaints about superheroes killing, especially in an all out battle like this. There's nothing morally wrong with killing in self defense or in the defense of others. And I don't feel that every superhero needs to have Batman's emotional-trauma-induced aversion to killing under any circumstances.

And I'm glad they didn't use Aquaman. The only way I would ever want to see Aquaman used is if they start giving him The Last Airbender style waterbending powers. His traditional power-set does nothing for me.
    Last edited by Alph; 03-12-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    'Nuff said.

ABrown is offline Father of twins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was the second DC Universe movie that I rented from Red Box during my vacation week off work. It was pretty good. I think what I liked most about the movie was Wonder Woman. Of course, when do I ever not love Wonder Woman? She kinda reminded me of Robin Scherbatsky in "How I Met Your Mother". I think what I liked least about the movie was Darkseid. He reminded me more of Brainiac than Darkseid. Though I do like Brainiac, I don't want Darkseid to come off like him. I would've preferred that Steven Blum's voice sound more like it did in the preview. I really liked the way that he sounded in the preview when he said "This world is mine". Also from the preview, I was also really looking forward to hearing Wonder Woman say "This world belongs to everyone!". I was a little disappointed that I didn't hear either one. But overall, it was still for the most part a pretty enjoyable movie.
    Last edited by ABrown; Yesterday at 08:54 PM.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This characterization for Superman was awful. He was borderline Crazy Steve from ASBAR. But Superman was downright scary here. And he was all the things that, I'm sorry, but he was all the things that Superman shouldn't be.

Green Lantern...one of my favorite characters, but it seems in trying to make Green Lantern more appealing to younger viewers they made him incredibly obnoxious here. I think one of the producers talked about making him like a [removed] jock. I mean...that's not Green Lantern. When does he ever act like this? Like I dunno, it's almost like they are so angst-ridden about how bad the movie did they are making up for it by making this version of Green Lantern more like Ryan Reynolds. I guess Hal Jordan's traditional heroic personality just doesn't play well with kids or audiences today. So as a result to make him more appealing, we got this.

Also Darkseid just doesn't really act like Darkseid here. He's more the type to get his underlings to do the dirty work for him and you have to draw him out or go to Apokolips to confront him. But you only have about 75 minutes to tell this story.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; Today at 02:56 AM. Reason: inappropriate language removed
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5