toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthammer View Post
    Spoiler:

In ages past, Superman and Wonder Woman were a thing. I'm not sure if New 52 is plugging that angle or not, but that was certainly a running thread in the 70s and 80s.
    Spoiler:
    New 52 has made kind of a fuss about it. There's even a new monthly comic book out right now titled Superman/Wonder Woman that mainly revolves around their relationship. But yeah, it seems that since the 60's, there'd always be a story that popped up here and there that suggested that Wonder Woman and Superman had compatibility, but then they would rebuke it and ignore the topic again for a few years. There's also a handful of Elseworlds, most notably Kingdom Come, that paired the two. So it's not entirely new, but level to which they portray it now is. Incidentally, DC animation featured two stories based on comics that showed them kissing, but for various reasons the scenes were not included in the 'toons.

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just gave this a look.

Spoiler:
    Hal Jordan, as pointed out before seemed more like Guy Gardener than Hal Jordan. Then again, from what I've observed, Hal Jordan is apparently disliked by a lot of people(although even those who dislike him think the whole Paralax thing was throwing him under the bus), but this went too far in trying to make him different. At least Captain Marvel (that's his name, and none will make me think different) has an excuse for being an Immature Hot-head (as Hal of all people put it).

Wonder Woman was great. I've never seen someone enjoy Ice-Cream so much. While I regret that I'd forgotten Aquaman was in the original line up until the stinger, I liked seeing Cap get some props by being a founding member in this version. If DC had shown him this much respect before, maybe he'd be better known.

I also had no idea that Cyborgs tech is Parademon based in the New 52. Whatever the case, this was fun. Good action flick. If Marvel is currently ruling the Live Action venue, then DC is still on top of the animated heap.

War. What is it good for? Entertainment.
    The Hypocrite Rises....

Srebak is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Isn't anyone going to comment on my comments?

Spoiler:
    I still think that that thing with Supes and WW was kind of bittersweet, especially since Steve Trevor was around and Lois too. Also, not only did the apparent sentiment in the group seem to be "the crisis is over, so let's just go our separate ways and, hopefully, never associate with each other again", but Hal, Superman and Cap just came off a little bit unlikable at times. The first two acted like they thought they could handle anything on their own and everyone else would just get in the way, only for them to be easily overpowered, and the third was just an arrogant brat who wouldn't accept the help of his family. I'm just glad that Batman kept his head in the game and was smart enough to see the need for the other heroes. I just wish he and Wonder Woman were the ones with more dialogue

brickrrb2 is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually read that this movie is actually the start of an original universe continuity with a few off shoot films every now and then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    Isn't anyone going to comment on my comments?

Spoiler:
    I still think that that thing with Supes and WW was kind of bittersweet, especially since Steve Trevor was around and Lois too. Also, not only did the apparent sentiment in the group seem to be "the crisis is over, so let's just go our separate ways and, hopefully, never associate with each other again", but Hal, Superman and Cap just came off a little bit unlikable at times. The first two acted like they thought they could handle anything on their own and everyone else would just get in the way, only for them to be easily overpowered, and the third was just an arrogant brat who wouldn't accept the help of his family. I'm just glad that Batman kept his head in the game and was smart enough to see the need for the other heroes. I just wish he and Wonder Woman were the ones with more dialogue
    Lighthammer responded to you, and I responded to Lighthammer.

Spoiler:
    Yeah, I felt a little bad for Steve. It made me think of Lucas. I actually liked Hal's brashness. I liked it in the comic as well. It does get a little annoying once in a while, though. Superman was tough to adjust to, but it was high time for the animated universe to let him stick to to Batman for a change, especially since we had to endure The Dark Knight Returns. I thought the Billy Batson/Shazam back-up stories in the JL title were good, so I don't mind seeing him as a bit of a brat, but throughout the most part he wasn't over the top obnoxious.

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Spoiler:

As I understand most the "Hal hate", it generally stemmed from the fact he was given so little personality over the years and it's only recently they've really established him.

The problem had been that with each new Green Lantern they introduced in the comics who had a very distinct and interesting personality, especially the newer Earth-born Lanterns, Hal seemed very small comparatively. In the comics, during the Silver Age and even into the Bronze Age, they just made him more and more aloof instead of fleshing out his personality.

I'm almost inclined to say over the years, he's absorbed a little bit of what made Gardner, Stewart and Rayner special somewhat through osmosis but various writers have taken and made what the qualities are about him distinctly different.

For instance, when I broke down my analysis of Hal in the movie, I said there's a lot of times he came off like Rayner (thanks to those of you guys validating me on this). I can see where those of you saying they see Gardner in him too, but over the years, Hal was built up to be a hot head too, like Gardner, just not the same kind of hot head. Gardner is that hot head that doesn't know when back down and will rush into danger not caring how dangerous it is. Hal on the other hand is hot headed enough to rush into danger, but he's culpable enough to know the perils and likes living on the edge; but he knows when he has to backdown and regroup. Guy would rather keep bashing something till it dies regardless if said bashing is actually having an effect or not where Hal would realize that said bashing isn't making progress. I mean being the first one rushing in to take a swing at Darkseid and then getting sent into a wall; I won't deny, that's classic Guy --- but I also didn't think it was too much of a stretch for Hal, though maybe it was. A "good" Hal (that is to say a well executed Hal) probably would have let Superman take the first swing, but this could also be a very green (pun intended) Hal Jordan we're playing with too; he may have only gotten his ring two weeks ago.

Dragonpiece is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonpiece View Post
    Can't wait for Tuesday to get here to watch Justice League War in my own comfort at home. Way too excited for this film.
    I got a Ipad Air today and decided to cancel my preorder and just buy the movie on itunes(along with the Flashpoint movie since DC is doing a type of 2 for 1 deal on it).

Man, did that movie exceed my expectations based on the way you guys were reviewing. Literally loved everything about it sans Shazam. I enjoyed how Superman and Wonder-Woman got attracted to eachother more so than how Geoff Johns did it in the comics by a random 2 page reveal. I enjoyed Vic Stone's origins. Hopefully we continue to get more new 52 adaptions because this is definitely my favorite DCU film yet.
    Huge comics fan,anime reviewer,animation watcher, I help run a Toonami site(you can follow it on Twitter @ToonamiNews)

VladDraculi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Steven Blum is NOT Darkseid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I just don't get the entire Captain Marvel thing. Sure, let's call yourself the word that turns you back into a kid. IDIOT!!!

He had no business being here to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I much prefer the name "Captain Marvel," let me just throw out some ideas as to why you'd want to call the character Shazam, ranging from possible legal stuff, to marketing stuff, to ridiculous:

1. Why would you want to advertise the name of your biggest competitor in the name of one of your characters? In addition to being the name of your competitor's company, it's the name of your competitor's character, too. Sure, yours is the original, but regardless of who came first (and the average young fan isn't going to know unless he was diligent enough to search for the character history), just saying "Captain Marvel" is free advertising for the other guys.
    2. I think DC is barred from having a comic book series titled "Captain Marvel," so if they ever wanted to give Billy his own series, they'd probably have to call it "Shazam." In that case, then you'd probably have new fans thinking the book is also the name of the character.
    3. Being named after something you say a lot is pretty much in line with the silliness that cartoons and comics can be. Smurfs always say "Smurf," individual Pokemon always say their names, so why not let the guy who says "Shazam!" a lot also be named "Shazam"?
    4. Now he can be like Beetlejuice and Rumpelstiltskin. His name is taboo even to himself.

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's also the fact that most the people unfamiliar with the character thought his name was Shazam ANYWAY. The character has been going through some great streamlining in past years and so much better streamlined then Aquaman that it makes sense for him to replace Aquaman.

That is really an interesting line of thinking with his name though, but it almost DOES fall in line with the Lords of Order quirks. That being said, I'm not wholly convinced they're playing that line in this movie. There was something about him that suggested to me Shazam (the wizard, not the warrior) wasn't a Lord of Order in Tuckerverse. That's obviously not confirmed but thats the impression I got.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast