toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on this DVD Release!

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll

1 20.00%
  • ****1/2

0 0%

1 20.00%
  • ***1/2

1 20.00%

1 20.00%
  • **1/2

0 0%

1 20.00%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
    James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Discuss the home entertainment DVD release of JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time here!

JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time Home Entertainment Release
    Studio: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
    Release Date: January 21st, 2014

Synopsis: Get ready for a battle of the ages when the Justice League faces off against its archenemies, the Legion of Doom, in an all-new movie from DC Comics. A mysterious being known as the Time Trapper arises, and a sinister plan led by Lex Luthor sends the Legion of Doom back in time to eliminate Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman before they become super heroes. For Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg, along with teen super heroes Karate Kid and Dawnstar, the stakes have never been higher, the rescue mission never deadlier. So join the fight for the future as the Justice League confronts its ultimate challenge - the threat of having never existed!

Bonus Features:
    -From the DC Comics Vault - two bonus cartoons!

Discuss this DVD release!

This thread is to discuss all aspects of the home video release of this title, including presentation and bonus features. Please discuss the feature film in the proper talkback, as linked below.

Related Threads:
    -JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time Feature Review (Spoilers)
    -JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Hero Supreme is offline Mr Jinx No More
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The DVD contains 2 bonus cartoons. Super Friends Elevator to Nowhere (guest starring George Washington and Blackbeard) and Super Friends: The Mysterious Time Creatures.
    Bringing Super Beings from TV and Film to You:

Twitter @SuperheroShows

SuperheroShows.Blogspot.Com

ashleesmach1 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just finish watching this dvd I enjoyed very much! It is appropriate for all ages so I recommend it! Time Trapper is scary oooooooooohhhhhh!

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleesmach1 View Post
    I just finish watching this dvd I enjoyed very much! It is appropriate for all ages so I recommend it! Time Trapper is scary oooooooooohhhhhh!
    Out of 5?
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero Supreme View Post
    The DVD contains 2 bonus cartoons. Super Friends Elevator to Nowhere (guest starring George Washington and Blackbeard) and Super Friends: The Mysterious Time Creatures.
    Super Friends Elevator to Nowhere is The Atom and Wonder Woman team up, my favorite episode of the Superfriends!

Dusty is offline Superman.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wish this came on BD as the animation was really nice. But the DVD was still cool.
    I give this DVD 4 out if 5 stars. It was a Fun movie, with good action, dialog, casting, and fun extra episodes of the classic Superfriends show.

D.
    "Good and Great things in life are rarely ever easy... but they are worth it."

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmaHalJordan View Post
    Super Friends Elevator to Nowhere is The Atom and Wonder Woman team up, my favorite episode of the Superfriends!
    Really?! Any particular reason? I just watched this episode. I don't know what season it's from, but I don't think it's on any of the Superfriends DVDs I currently own. I didn't really care for it myself, other than being excited to see The Atom. My favorite parts of the old DC cartoons were the episodes where guest superheroes would show up for an adventure. (... man! no wonder I instantly fell in love with Batman The Brave and the Bold)

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My review of the movie for the News will be coming shortly, but real commentary on the extras almost certainly ain't gonna make the cut. So...

"The Mysterious Time Creatures" is, unfortunately, nearly everything that current-day fans expect from Super Friends -- plot twists that beggar the imagination for the sheer amount of stupidity everyone involved on-screen has to show for any of it to work. I also think it very much suffers from trying to support a full half-hour episode because there just isn't a half-hour there. The aliens make a big deal out of having a time device that they'll use to conquer the universe, but they're AWFULLY slow in using it. They have the old President, like, three times and keep making evil "nark-nark-nark" noises and threaten they're going to kill him, but they never actually kill him or do anything with him once they have him. And Zan and Jayna are nearly dumber than Gleek when they lose President alien guy for the first time. The one really pleasant surprise was something I thought was one of the show's frequent animation errors, but which turned out to be a plot twist.

"Elevator to Nowhere," on the other hand, is pretty much everything that I happen to still like about the Super Friends: it's absolutely, positively never going to let anything -- plot coherence, super power limitations, decent dialogue -- get in the way of throwing more story at the screen. And this episode throws a bunch of seriously gonzo crazy stuff at us. Meeting George Washington, who decides Wonder Woman's outfit must mean she's an enemy spy, followed by the Atom committing a flagrant foul against all the rules about time travel. Running into Blackbeard, which isn't anywhere near as interesting, except that Blackbeard shows up for NO APPARENT REASON. Going back in time to fight dinosaurs, because...I don't know, dinosaurs are cool so who cares? It makes no sense at all, but that's almost exactly why I think it's awesome and why I like it pretty unironically. And it's also short enough that you pretty much can't help but get caught up in it all (as opposed to the horribly padded "Mysterious Time Creatures"). In a lot of ways, I see the new JLA Adventures movie and stuff like Brave and the Bold as inheriting that legacy and that same drive, but with much better plotting, scripting, dialogue, acting, and animation.

I'm also baffled why the bonus episodes didn't include the "Secret Origins of the Super Friends" episode from the Challenge of the Super Friends series. That was the first episode I thought of when I heard the synopsis of Trapped in Time, to the point where I wondered whether it was essentially a remake of that episode. I remember that episode pretty vividly from when I was a kid, where the Legion of Doom decides they can beat the Justice League if they take out three of their heaviest hitters: Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern. I remember Lex Luthor getting GL's ring and then zipping back to the LoD skull hall declaring himself "the Green Luthor," although even as a kid, I remember wondering, "Why don't you keep it and use it anyway?" But I kind of wanted to see it again once I remembered it, and am disappointed that it isn't on here.

I also have to admit I'm a little disappointed we don't get a commentary track. I'd actually like to listen to one for this movie. On the other hand, we also get confirmation that Beware the Batman and Teen Titans Go! are both getting DVD releases some time soon-ish.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Hero Supreme is offline Mr Jinx No More
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post

I'm also baffled why the bonus episodes didn't include the "Secret Origins of the Super Friends" episode from the Challenge of the Super Friends series. That was the first episode I thought of when I heard the synopsis of Trapped in Time, to the point where I wondered whether it was essentially a remake of that episode. I remember that episode pretty vividly from when I was a kid, where the Legion of Doom decides they can beat the Justice League if they take out three of their heaviest hitters: Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern. I remember Lex Luthor getting GL's ring and then zipping back to the LoD skull hall declaring himself "the Green Luthor," although even as a kid, I remember wondering, "Why don't you keep it and use it anyway?" But I kind of wanted to see it again once I remembered it, and am disappointed that it isn't on here.
    Yes, I thought the Green Luthor was a shoe-in

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    I also have to admit I'm a little disappointed we don't get a commentary track. I'd actually like to listen to one for this movie. On the other hand, we also get confirmation that Beware the Batman and Teen Titans Go! are both getting DVD releases some time soon-ish.
    Well, both DVDs have been available for pre-order on Amazon for some time. Beware the Batman for Feb 18 and TTG for March 4th.
    Bringing Super Beings from TV and Film to You:

Twitter @SuperheroShows

SuperheroShows.Blogspot.Com

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So how much is this DVD?

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

mrbean1500 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    So how much is this DVD?
    13-13.99 I tossed my receipt so i don't remember =P

edit: according to giancarlo volpe's hilarious vine, it's 12.99

https://vine.co/v/MBmOmUl1Zgz
    Last edited by mrbean1500; 01-23-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Daxdiv is offline Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    So how much is this DVD?
    For this week only it's $12.99, then the following week it's going to be $14.99 before taxes, since my receipt did say I saved $2.00

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He film is a very solid 4 out of 5 but the DVD only gets a 3 for me.

While I'm not interested at all in watching the two Superfriends episodes it was nice they added these and I can imagine any kid who picks this up will be glad to have those. But couldn't they have done a ten min making of or a retrospective type thing on the Superfriends?
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)