toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on this movie - "JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time"

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

4 17.39%
  • ****1/2

7 30.43%

6 26.09%
  • ***1/2

3 13.04%

2 8.70%
  • **1/2

1 4.35%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by VladDraculi View Post
    No advertising, not on BD, and only sold at Target means it is not only terrible, but WB has no faith in it. I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix and if it never does, then it wasn't worth my time to begin with.
    Or it's test marketing. The same sort of thinking behind the target exclusive Jla line is also in Mattel's new 6" total heroes line.

NBM05 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VladDraculi View Post
    No advertising, not on BD, and only sold at Target means it is not only terrible, but WB has no faith in it. I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix and if it never does, then it wasn't worth my time to begin with.
    So despite the fact that 70% of the poll responses in this thread gave it 4 out of 5 stars or better, despite the fact that the comments have been pretty universally favorable, despite the fact that all the reviews (at least all the ones I have seen) have liked the movie (most quite a bit), and despite the fact that not even one person gave the movie less than a 2.5 in the poll (and there's almost always someone willing to give anything the lowest grade possible), you're able to say definitively that the movie is terrible without even seeing it based solely on how it was released?

I'd like to see it on bluray selling on Amazon too (and think it's more than worthy of that), but from my understanding it was made as part of a deal with Target, hence it only (at least for now) sells at Target.

It deserves more exposure, and I might have been inclined to assume it was bad as well based on it's limited release, but not after seeing reviews and/or viewer polls, and I wouldn't have definitively decided it was terrible without either seeing it myself or at least taking into account the impressions of people who had actually seen it. If that makes sense.

No one's life will be changed by seeing or not seeing it, but if you're a fan of superhero animation, there's a pretty good chance you'd enjoy it. I like the more adult stuff more, but liked this quite a bit as well (far more than any of the Marvel all ages stuff currently being done).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really Trapped in Time it was much better than what I expected, I hope this will lead into another Justice League cartoon, based on the way it ended there could be more to come!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also, wasn't there a scooby movie that only Walmart carried?

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone! I just got my review of JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time published. I'd love it if you could all check it out, and see my more fully developed opinions on this movie.
    I'd love any feedback, and I'd happily enjoy discussing the movie with all of you.

Movie Mondays: JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time | ComicAttack

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hey everyone! I just got my review of JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time published. I'd love it if you could all check it out, and see my more fully developed opinions on this movie.
    I'd love any feedback, and I'd happily enjoy discussing the movie with all of you.

Movie Mondays: JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time | ComicAttack
    Great review man

Totally agree on the stealth release thing, its totally reliant on word of mouth, doesn't seem the smartest idea. Still I hope it sells well so they do more.
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
    Great review man

Totally agree on the stealth release thing, its totally reliant on word of mouth, doesn't seem the smartest idea. Still I hope it sells well so they do more.
    thanks for the kind words.
    And yeah, this whole "stealth release" seems like too big of a risk. A giant waste of time and resources.
    Which is another big problem. This was a fun movie. And it's a shame because I feel like not enough people will hear about it.
    I'm going to try my best to promote it however I can.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the kind words. And yeah, this whole "stealth release" seems like too big of a risk. A giant waste of time and resources. Which is another big problem. This was a fun movie. And it's a shame because I feel like not enough people will hear about it. I'm going to try my best to promote it however I can.
    I'm not so sure it's a huge risk. I think it may be a pilot.

spyke is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the kind words.
    And yeah, this whole "stealth release" seems like too big of a risk. A giant waste of time and resources.
    Which is another big problem. This was a fun movie. And it's a shame because I feel like not enough people will hear about it.
    I'm going to try my best to promote it however I can.
    The "stealth release" smacks of the same stupid crap that the Big 2 (Marvel and DC) has been doing with their comics (DC for the last 30 years and Marvel for the last 13 years), which is putting most (if not all) of their effort and promotion dollars into appealing to and attracting older teen and adult readers. Like the publishing division, DC and Warner Brothers believe that this is the only audience that truly matters and are the only demographic who is interested in these animated action/adventure superhero movies. This is why you are starting to see them crank up the violence and profanity in these movies. They are trying to show how "cool", "adult",and "edgy" they are.

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My review of the movie for the News is live now.

I find my old reflexive scorn for Super Friends has diminished over time (especially after reading Iwao Takamoto's autobiography, where he says that they achieved exactly what they were trying to do with Super Friends), and I can appreciate it for what it is. That said, I thought this movie was a perfect modern updating of that show, and if it's not quite as sublimely brilliant as Batman: The Brave and the Bold turned out to be, it's starting off a good bit better than the earliest episodes of that show, so I'm hoping they keep going.

Side points that I didn't get to in the review:

- One thing I love is how they play Superman completely, totally, 100% straight. No irony, no attempt to update him or make him "relate-able" or anything. He's awesome in this movie because he's SUPERMAN and, by definition, is way more powerful and upright than anyone else. And I LOVE that about him here. I point out how all the Leaguers (with the unfortunate exception of Wonder Woman) get their Crowning Moment of Awesome somewhere in the movie, and the one for Superman is near the end of the movie when the Time Trapper is saying, "Nobody can stop me now!" to Karate Kid and Dawnstar, and you're getting the same feeling they are that things have gone horribly, irrevocably wrong somehow. Then you get the red and blue flash as Superman lands and just says, "I don't think so." And suddenly, you believe it. Because he is FREAKING SUPERMAN and he's on the scene and you just know now that everything's going to be all right. That was a major fist-pump, "Hell Yeah!" moment for me in the film. Loved that.

- By now, Kevin Conroy is the default voice of Batman in all media for me, but to this day, the voice I still hear in my head for Superman more often than not is Danny Dark's version from Super Friends. Peter Jessop turns in a really nice update of that version.

- Another crowning moment of awesome? Aquaman saying, "I could use some big help." You get that iconic visual and sound effects of his aquatic telepathy and then the biggest honking octopus in the universe shows up and pulls down a supertanker. Hell. Yeah. It made up for not getting John DiMaggio back to be Aquaman in this version (because now HIS voice is the default that I think Aquaman should be). That crowning moment of awesome made up for the bit a few minutes earlier when the guy on the tanker fell off and plummeted into the water. From that height, hitting water is like hitting concrete. That dude should have made a big wet splatting noise, but this is also one of the moments when the strengths of the movie meant I could consciously ignore the weak parts.

- One other weak part: did I completely mishear it, or does Martha Kent call her husband "Paul" during the Smallville sequence? Supposed to be Jonathan.

- Third weak bit, which is more of a puzzling thing. Did everyone forget that Gorilla Grodd has telepathy and mind control powers or something? He refers to them before he gives the Flash a major beatdown at the beginning, but you'd think it'd come up later. Might have made for an interesting throwaway bit as he tries reading Karate Kid's mind during their fight, and it doesn't help him at all because Karate Kid is that good. But that's another thing I can overlook.

- Fun bit: Laura Bailey is Dawnstar, and Travis Willingham is Gorilla Grodd. I don't think they get any scenes together, but I wonder if they give producers some kind of "buy one get one half off" deal or something (for those who don't know, they're married, and I've noticed they get cast together a lot).

- I'm not up to date on the latest in DC, but is the Toyman's look of a living marionette original to this movie, or has someone done that already? Because that's one of the most brilliant takes on the character I've ever seen. If you look closely in the room where Lex is imprisoned, you see Black Manta's helmet, Captain Cold's freeze gun, and a stuffed Gorilla Grodd, but the Toyman is sitting in a pile labeled, "Unknown Totemic Object" or something like that. I thought that was pretty funny.

- Do people really have an issue that Superman doesn't have trunks on the outside but Bizarro does? Or that there are as many time paradoxes created in the time travel story as there are? The first just makes sense because Bizarro is the funhouse mirror version of Superman, but for time travel stories, I figure you can play them two ways: completely airtight, hyper-thought-out zero mistakes or inconsistencies, or completely fast and loose and to hell with the laws of physics. There was an episode of Star Trek Voyager where Capt. Janeway finds out she's in a time travel scenario, and when someone tries explaining something to her, she just says something like, "Stop. Don't even try. Let's just get this over with, I don't need to know the details." It pretty much summed up the approach they were taking to time travel, and it's the one that I think they took here. And I'm completely OK with that. Trying to keep track of it all would just slow them down from throwing the next cool thing at us.

TL,DR version: That was awesome. More please!
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings