toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on this movie - "JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time"

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

4 17.39%
  • ****1/2

7 30.43%

6 26.09%
  • ***1/2

3 13.04%

2 8.70%
  • **1/2

1 4.35%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    brickrrb2 is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Maybe this should be a show

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickrrb2 View Post
    Maybe this should be a show
    I'm thinking the target release was test marketing.

Edit: and there's a silver age story where Batman saves his parents and a new timeline that results from it: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/pyrot...0_original.jpg
    Last edited by Hordesman; 02-10-2014 at 10:41 AM.

JTMarsh is online now Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Grey DeLisle absolutely stunned me as Wonder Woman. She's never done a role remotely like Diana before, and she was absolutely magnificent. Too bad Diana was a secondary character, I'd love to see them do something with Wonder Woman as the lead just to see what DeLisle could do with more material.

More comments later but I wanted to put that out there.
    Well, she did play Lady Sif of Asgard in the lackluster 2009 feature "Hulk Vs", who is also a warrior woman very much in the mold of Wonder Woman and she did a pretty good job in that (she also voiced Sif's rival Amora the Enchantress on Superhero Squad around that same time).

Anyhow I decided to give this a look after the awful "Justice League War" and found this to be much more entertaining despite being aimed at "the kiddies". Fred Tatasciore, better known as Marvel's default guy for the Incredible Hulk, was an awesome Lex Luthor, and he is surrounded by an equally solid cast. The story moved briskly, the animation was crisp and, best of all, the characters were not obnoxious jerks, unlike the oh-so-more-mature "Justice League War". That's pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell.

Toddman is offline Hulk not good with words.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordesman View Post
    I'm thinking the target release was test marketing.

Edit: and there's a silver age story where Batman saves his parents and a new timeline that results from it: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/pyrot...0_original.jpg
    That's a great story which was originally printed in Detective Comics #500 (from 1981 btw - about a decade after the Silver Age ended) :

It's also amusing that the label "anniversary" is mis-used on the cover. It was the 500th issue of Detective Comics, not the 500th year of its publication.

Toddman

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddman View Post
    That's a great story which was originally printed in Detective Comics #500 (from 1981 btw - about a decade after the Silver Age ended) : It's also amusing that the label "anniversary" is mis-used on the cover. It was the 500th issue of Detective Comics, not the 500th year of its publication. Toddman
    Wow, it definitely had a silver age vibe to me but the more poignant side of it, like some of the earth 2 stuff from back then

spyke is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any news on how well this movie sold at Target?

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is amazing that this was miles better than JL: War which was the bigger budgeted, more marketed product.
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
    It is amazing that this was miles better than JL: War which was the bigger budgeted, more marketed product.
    I'd agree if they were similar types of movies, but if you don't like the direction of one movie, then it's very likely you'll prefer the other one, regardless of budget. I don't think either had particularly deep storytelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatHairyDeal View Post
    I'd agree if they were similar types of movies, but if you don't like the direction of one movie, then it's very likely you'll prefer the other one, regardless of budget. I don't think either had particularly deep storytelling.
    Even so, "Trapped In Time" did a better job at being what it set out to be - a modern day version of Super-Friends, while "War" tried to be this engaging "popcorn film" that some have compared to Marvel's Avengers but completely failing as it doesn't have any of the wit, charm, or style of a truly great "popcorn film". And I say that as someone with a strong dislike of Super-Friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMarsh View Post
    Even so, "Trapped In Time" did a better job at being what it set out to be - a modern day version of Super-Friends, while "War" tried to be this engaging "popcorn film" that some have compared to Marvel's Avengers but completely failing as it doesn't have any of the wit, charm, or style of a truly great "popcorn film". And I say that as someone with a strong dislike of Super-Friends.
    True as that may be, trying to be like Super Friends is a much lower bar to clear than trying to be like Marvel's Avengers.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Why is it people at DC want to recreate Super Friends?

Is it because most people in my generation don't know how terrible it is?
    Super Friends? Terrible? Surely you jest.

Challenge of the Super Friends (1978-9) is considered one of the better incarnations of the franchise, largely because now H-B gained the rights to use Luthor, Riddler, et al, something they weren't able to do previously. Put simply, it's filed under "cult classic".

MichChrisIp is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If this sold decent amount of copies, do you think we will get a blu-ray release of it?
    Because, there isn't, is there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True as that may be, trying to be like Super Friends is a much lower bar to clear than trying to be like Marvel's Avengers.
    Without a doubt the Super-Friends bar is lower than Marvel's Avengers, but somehow clearing the Super-Friends bar felt less annoying than watching them try - and fail - at clearing the Marvel Avenger bar. Pretty animation & furious fight scenes can't cover for the fact that "War" didn't have the craftsmanship of a Joss Whedon behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12
    Why is it people at DC want to recreate Super-Friends?

Is it because most people in my generation don't know how terrible it is?
    Well nostalgia aside the TV animation industry seem to be all about goofy, stupid little boy humor right now and Super-Friends is closer to that than say... Young Justice, CGI Green Lantern, etc.

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMarsh View Post
    Without a doubt the Super-Friends bar is lower than Marvel's Avengers, but somehow clearing the Super-Friends bar felt less annoying than watching them try - and fail - at clearing the Marvel Avenger bar. Pretty animation & furious fight scenes can't cover for the fact that "War" didn't have the craftsmanship of a Joss Whedon behind it.
    I look at this as the Iron Man vs. The Dark Knight question. Iron Man aimed pretty low but met or exceeded expectations on every dimension. The Dark Knight aimed much higher and, IMO, missed some of its targets by a pretty wide margin. The end result is that Iron Man is the movie I find I like more, even as I admit that The Dark Knight is much more ambitious and its successes are much more noteworthy than Iron Man's.

That being said, I would also disagree on a few different points. I don't think JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time is just trying to clear the Super Friends bar because Super Friends was akin to Dora the Explorer or some other Nickelodeon kiddie shows where it's not attempting to be interesting to anyone outside its target demographic. At that point in time, the presumption was that superheroes were for kids, and grown ups still attached to them were assumed to be the exception and not the rule. These days, everyone is more media savvy and it's a lot more likely that this generation of parents will want and be able to share pop culture with their kids. Those kids who grew watching Ninja Turtles get to experience them again with their kids, and the people making Ninja Turtles now are totally aware of that because they were those kids watching Ninja Turtles. This is true of a bunch of different properties ranging from Star Wars to Star Trek to superheroes. The current crop of people making DC cartoons were the kids watching Super Friends (or, nowadays, Batman the Animated Series). JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time may be borrowing the slightly simplified Super Friends sensibilities and approach to violence, but otherwise I think it's a much more sophisticated product than Super Friends ever was, and that's by design. I'd say the same thing about Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

JL: War is not aimed at kids at all. It's audience is the teen-to-adult crowd, and I think there's less variance in that demographic than there is in making something intended to appeal to the 6-11 crowd AND their parents. It faces different challenges (over and above the usual artistic challenge of making something that doesn't suck, which I should emphasize is plenty hard all by itself, regardless of who you're aiming for) and, IMO, didn't manage to clear very many of those hurdles at all. And, as I said in my review, I think the overwhelming majority of problems I have with the movie are not just in the source material, but in the sensibilities that created that source material. It's an entire product built on something I just don't find I agree with much, and that taints the final product no matter how cool all those action sequences are.

JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time had much lower aspirations and met or exceeded everything it tried to do. JL: War was much more ambitious and missed out. I guess the question is whether you think the extra ambition outbalances the fact that it didn't succeed. There are times where I think a grand experiment that doesn't quite work should still be rewarded because at least they tried something new and different, and maybe someone else will be able to make that work. I don't think JL: War was one of those times, but maybe something else comes out of it. Who knows?
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A movie doesn't need to be "deep" in order to be good. I mean who cares if trapped in time is not deep; it was still entertaining, all the characters were likable and the action was good. It has a some plot holes here and there, but the film left me wanting more... Heck, like i mentioned earlier, I know nothing about Dawnstar and Karate Kid, but this film makes me want to see more of them; it makes me wan to see a new Legion of super heroes series or maybe even pick up some of the comics. If a film can make you want more, than it did something right. This film new what it was and was proud of it. I would not call this "setting the bar lower"; more like "choosing to play a different game"... It's like JL:War is playing football, but sucks at it, While Trapped In Time is playing Soccer and is pretty good at it; neither of them plays football well, but Trapped in time isn't trying to play football at all. Cause when it comes down to it, Trapped in Time still took tons of talent to be successful. I feel its wrong to undermine what the creators accomplished with the film by saying that they only did better because they set the bar lower. Both a deep and meaningful film, and a light hearted, entertaining film take good writing, directing, animating and acting; just different kinds of good writing, directing animating and acting...

JL:War TRIED to be that deeper film you want and failed at it. It tried to be serious and complex but it was really just kind of shallow. It was mostly just non-stop action pretending to be something its not. The characters were unlikeable, the villain was dull, and the story wasn't engaging.... Its like the only thing good about the film was the action. Unlike Trapped in Time, JL:War does NOT make me want to see more. I have no interest to see the Atlantis film that will likely follow JL:War, and the movie made me uninterested in the Nu52. This was a film that tried to be marvel's avengers, but failed greatly at it. If you are not gonna be as good as avengers, then you are better off not trying to be; be your own film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    A movie doesn't need to be "deep" in order to be good. I mean who cares if trapped in time is not deep; it was still entertaining, all the characters were likable and the action was good. It has a some plot holes here and there, but the film left me wanting more... Heck, like i mentioned earlier, I know nothing about Dawnstar and Karate Kid, but this film makes me want to see more of them; it makes me wan to see a new Legion of super heroes series or maybe even pick up some of the comics. If a film can make you want more, than it did something right. This film new what it was and was proud of it. I would not call this "setting the bar lower"; more like "choosing to play a different game"... It's like JL:War is playing football, but sucks at it, While Trapped In Time is playing Soccer and is pretty good at it; neither of them plays football well, but Trapped in time isn't trying to play football at all. Cause when it comes down to it, Trapped in Time still took tons of talent to be successful. I feel its wrong to undermine what the creators accomplished with the film by saying that they only did better because they set the bar lower. Both a deep and meaningful film, and a light hearted, entertaining film take good writing, directing, animating and acting; just different kinds of good writing, directing animating and acting...

JL:War TRIED to be that deeper film you want and failed at it. It tried to be serious and complex but it was really just kind of shallow. It was mostly just non-stop action pretending to be something its not. The characters were unlikeable, the villain was dull, and the story wasn't engaging.... Its like the only thing good about the film was the action. Unlike Trapped in Time, JL:War does NOT make me want to see more. I have no interest to see the Atlantis film that will likely follow JL:War, and the movie made me uninterested in the Nu52. This was a film that tried to be marvel's avengers, but failed greatly at it. If you are not gonna be as good as avengers, then you are better off not trying to be; be your own film.
    Well, I wouldn't argue that JL: War is more enjoyable than Trapped in Time, because certainly one matched my expectations and the other didn't. But yeah, I'd still argue that a lot of its success does stem from the fact that the bar was set lower. If you made a movie just like Trapped in Time, but notched up the animation as appropriate to a higher budget, and put in more expensive cast members, and set that movie as one of the 3/4 DC home releases every year, I think it'd be seen as a disappointment. I can't prove or disprove that, but I think we tend to give a lot more leeway for "kids movies," at least when we don't reject them altogether because they're "kids movies." Like take the Smallville scene, for instance. In Trapped in Time, that's funny. I laugh and enjoy that. If you put a scene like that in any of the regular 3/4 DC home releases, I'd be thinking "Are you kidding me?" Likewise, in Trapped in Time, I don't question things like why Luthor would still be alive in the 31st century if he were frozen in a block of ice for 1000 years, but if that happened in the bigger budgeted movies, I'd probably ask the writers to brush up on their biology.

Yojimbo is online now R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichChrisIp View Post
    If this sold decent amount of copies, do you think we will get a blu-ray release of it?
    Because, there isn't, is there?
    It's possible. If anything, the Warner Archives Collection, with their Made on Demand formula, seems the most likely to sell a Blu-Ray version
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 23, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I wouldn't argue that JL: War is more enjoyable than Trapped in Time, because certainly one matched my expectations and the other didn't. But yeah, I'd still argue that a lot of its success does stem from the fact that the bar was set lower. If you made a movie just like Trapped in Time, but notched up the animation as appropriate to a higher budget, and put in more expensive cast members, and set that movie as one of the 3/4 DC home releases every year, I think it'd be seen as a disappointment. I can't prove or disprove that, but I think we tend to give a lot more leeway for "kids movies," at least when we don't reject them altogether because they're "kids movies." Like take the Smallville scene, for instance. In Trapped in Time, that's funny. I laugh and enjoy that. If you put a scene like that in any of the regular 3/4 DC home releases, I'd be thinking "Are you kidding me?" Likewise, in Trapped in Time, I don't question things like why Luthor would still be alive in the 31st century if he were frozen in a block of ice for 1000 years, but if that happened in the bigger budgeted movies, I'd probably ask the writers to brush up on their biology.
    No those changes wouldn't have done anything too the film. It would have still had the same story, directing and script. Only difference is that the animation and voice acting would be better (though I had no issue with the voice acting as it was). Everything that made the film what it was, would still be there. Even if it was released as one of their main films it would still be the same film. Heck I find it to be a shame that this film WASN'T advertised more seeing as its a better film than the film they did put more marketing and money into; Many DC fans would enjoy this film, and the limited release will only lead to it being overlooked. Even if the budget was bigger, the film would still be a "Kids movie"... and really, being a "Kids movie" is not a bad thing; Disney and Pixar make nothing BUT kids films and their films are masterpieces of film making. Trapped in time was no Disney film, but it was still a good film.

The reason we do not question certain details like how Lex could survive frozen for so long, or how we can ignore the time travel plot holes is NOT because of its budget; Its because of its TONE. The Tone of a film/story effects our mindset; it effects our suspension of disbelief. Suspension of disbelief allows us to ignore real world logic and just accept the logic of the film. Its why we never bother to question the logic in a looney tunes cartoon and just laugh along with it. Because the the film's lighthearted tone, we are placed in the mindset that we are not supposed to take things too literally. We just laugh and enjoy it. I mean heck, Disney's films are masterpieces, but they defy our normal logic(especially science) endlessly; but it doesn't matter, the tone sets our suspension of disbelief to accept it all. Its the same principle

JL:War has a different tone; a much more serious tone. This puts us in a different mindset... The same mindset we have with other much better DC films like the Red Hood. Suspsicion of disbelief still plays a role; like how we ignore a lot of the science and just accept that science just works that way in their world. Really, you mention how you don't think much about Lex being frozen in ice because of real world biology, but our real world science wouldn't have anything nice to say about most everything that occurs in super hero comics... so if you enjoy super heroes, you are already constantly ignoring real world logic... That is suspension of disbelief. With War's more serious tone, we tend to apply a bit more of our own logic, we pay more attention to the characters the structure of the story, and JL:War did poorly in that regard. Most of the characters were unlikeable, the villain was dull, and the story was lacking in depth and felt lazy; the film spent WAY too much time on fight scenes and not enough time on developing its characters and stories.

Yes, in JL:War the smallville scene would have been really stupid; but that's because the tone... You could put a silly scene like that smallville sequence in a Disney film and there the seen might be considered good humor and the disney film may still be considered brilliant. These are films with different tones; and tone effects what we are willing to accept and that's why we judge them differently. Gravity, Avengers, Frozen; ALL brilliant films, but each with different tones. A Thunder God would seem ridiculous in Gravity and a comedy relief reindeer would seem ridiculous and stupid in the Avengers, but in their native films, set in the universe they were supposed to happen in, and with a story that matches the tone they were made for, they are acceptable, do not harm the film, and may even help support their film's brilliance.
    Last edited by Monte; 02-27-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I understand the difference is tone, and not budget, but so far every one of the bigger budget animated films have aimed for a more serious tone so that's why I worded it that way. I seem to recall that the intent of the 3/4 regular yearly DC releases are supposed to be very much like the comics from 1985-current in tone, and therefore appeal to modern day comic readers. I just tend to think that I thought Trapped in Time was nice to watch whereas JL: War was disappointing is mostly based on expectations we had for the respective movies, the former's being rather low, and the latter's being significantly higher.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    today went on sale in Argentina JLA Trapped in Time. Very good movie.

In the extras went back to see after many years "elevator to nowhere" and i see that it is of the best episodes of super friends. In this episode was born my love for Ray Palmer, my second favorite hero!

I hope for Atom in the JLA Trapped in Time Sequel!

=)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast