toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment on this movie - "JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time"

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

4 17.39%
  • ****1/2

7 30.43%

6 26.09%
  • ***1/2

3 13.04%

2 8.70%
  • **1/2

1 4.35%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    RoyalRubble is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Just wondering, but was anyone else expecting Grodd's little speech towards the end to lead to him taking over leadership of the Legion of Doom? It would have set the stage for a potential sequel (without having to resort on Lex again) and be some sort of reverse situation to what ultimately happened on JLU. Guess it would've been too much for a movie aimed at kids.
    "Are you insinuating that I may have previous knowledge as to the outcome of this imbroglio?" - Top Cat
    "With great powers comes great responsibility... and free peanuts." - Johnny Bravo
    "Faster than a regular sheep... More powerful than a regular sheep... Able to leap a regular sheep in a single bound." - Sheep in the Big City

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero Supreme View Post
    Just finished updating my DC movie rankings with this and War. Can't believe there are so many movies on the list. I hate ranking enjoyable movies in the teens, but what are you gonna do. DC is approaching 30 of these pups.
    Great review! And very interesting listing. I've been noticing lately, with this forum and some others I'm on, things like your listing. As great examples of fandom. How we can all come together to love something (DC Comics in this case) but love them so differently. The diversity of fans is something that never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalRubble View Post
    Just wondering, but was anyone else expecting Grodd's little speech towards the end to lead to him taking over leadership of the Legion of Doom? It would have set the stage for a potential sequel (without having to resort on Lex again) and be some sort of reverse situation to what ultimately happened on JLU. Guess it would've been too much for a movie aimed at kids.
    I was totally seeing that. I'd love for this movie to either get a sequel, or act as a pilot for a new series. I'd love to see another movie where Dawnstar and Karate Kid have to fix the timeline while dealing with some sort of Rogues Gallery Civil War. The Injustice Gang versus the Legion of Doom, or something like that.

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I finally got around to getting this one and everything about it caught me by surprise. The pacing was great the character design was great, etc.

The thing that I don't like about this film is it feels far too much like Super Friends in the respect that the plot feels almost too simple compared to the more complex feel Young Justice, DCAU or even say The Batman. This felt odd to me because the plot was actually pretty good but something about it resonates to me that it "downtalks to older audiences"; I can't quite put my thumb on what the movie did that caused that, but it carried that feel.

This movie was a nice diversion and a small series of DTVs wouldn't be unwelcomed, but I won't want to see this as the new flagship Justice League series.

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthammer View Post
    This felt odd to me because the plot was actually pretty good but something about it resonates to me that it "downtalks to older audiences"; I can't quite put my thumb on what the movie did that caused that, but it carried that feel.
    Well, in the first 2/3 of the movie, they kept saying each other's names over and over and over Ad nauseam and repeating plot points. Granted some of it was due to downtime where people keep meeting new people for the first time in the movie...other shows or movies would have skipped over that stuff as it's understood this moment happened, get to the next act or risk dragging down the pace. I think this could have been a 44 minute movie on that thought alone.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 8, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After rewatching it, I think I figured out what my problem with the flick was. Through discussing much of DCAU, Young Justice and The Batman among other DCU DTV movies, there was a huge emphasis on organic development of characters. This flick took a completely different approach to character development which Yojimbo hit on a bit; it was more what I might call "led development". Instead of learning about the characters through their interactions we're pretty much outright told who the characters are.

I give the flick seriously high marks on usage of music, animation quality, little iffy on character designs but objectively they worked, the voice quality was great, the pacing was great and the story wasn't bad. The personal interactions is outright where the problem is and that's where the thread is that makes this flick feel like its really intended for tweens and not marketed(able) for adults unless they're watching it with their kids.

After a fashion, I think I just kind of finally hit on the thread I believe why Ultimate Spiderman and Hulk Avengers of SMASH fall into this same category.

Wag
    Wag is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked this one up locally, really enjoyed it. I only wish Warner would start doing more Blu-Ray releases of this type.

BTW: I also picked up Justice League: War digitally, and between the two I enjoy this release much more. It's not as cynical and much more lighthearted.

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked it. It's a good flick, like a mix of JL and BBatB. Pretty well animated, it looks as good most other things out now. I preferred it to War, since there was more of a story, the League didn't feel like unlikeable jerks, and it was a lot more fun.

As for the paradox plot holes, I took it as the Time Trapper controlling what paradoxes he dealt with. So he only bothered to sort out the ones he cared for. Some were left out because he didn't know about them or didn't care about if the paradoxes existed or not. At least that's my take on it.
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Avatar The Legend of Korra Book 3 Review: Episodes 1 – 3

NBM05 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Well, in the first 2/3 of the movie, they kept saying each other's names over and over and over Ad nauseam and repeating plot points. Granted some of it was due to downtime where people keep meeting new people for the first time in the movie...other shows or movies would have skipped over that stuff as it's understood this moment happened, get to the next act or risk dragging down the pace. I think this could have been a 44 minute movie on that thought alone.
    I have to disagree; I thought the movie was very lean and kept up a quick pace, shaving time or scenes would only have lessened the entertainment by cutting well done action or accentuated one of the movies few weaknesses by diminishing characterizations.

I really enjoyed the movie as is. I thought the pacing was good and I really liked the character designs. The action was great and was better than expected. A longer run time allowing the characters to be fleshed out more might have allowed it to be more adult (if that was the goal), but not a shorter run time. It felt like there was little to no down time in the movie even as is, so I'm not sure what could be cut. I can't think of any scenes that didn't serve a purpose or any scenes that bored me. That said, it felt like there was a bit of an expectation that viewers would know who the characters were already or would at the very least understand the parameters of superhero material and therefore wouldn't need a lot of background on characters, powers or motivations.

The one scene/plot point that definitely seemed aimed at kids to me was Cheeta and Grundy pretending to be a normal couple to fool the Kents. While the time travel plot could be picked apart in much the same way any time travel plot can, it seemed to have some internal consistency that you could at least say applied the same rules to each paradox; I had less problems with the timetravel in this movie than I did with a highly acclaimed movie like Looper (which had SO many potholes and inconsistencies it was ridiculous. Looper was a fun movie, but wow, it had a lot of logical mistakes even while winning rave reviews).

As someone else said earlier in the thread: this is how "all ages" should be done, and Loeb (Marvel/MOA) should pay attention. I think almost all of us superhero animation fans would be thrilled if AA, USM, and HAoS managed to achieve this level of quality (from writing to animation to humor to action).

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    That was a bit weird. Having both Lex and Dawnstar explain what we'd already just seen for how they came back to the past was really odd. That, and the usual anti-climatic ending these DTV's have, did drag this down.

But I really hope they make more of these. The DTV's are getting lost in the PG-13 adaptations that they're missing a lot of the fun and greatness of the older movies and shows. IMO Mask of the Phantasm was the best DC animated movie that's been done, and that didn't need to be a slaughterhouse like Flashpoint and War to be a mature story. I'm afraid if they keep adapting the "big event stories" from modern comics then it'll just be non-stop action and very little story, and that'll get boring very quick.
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Avatar The Legend of Korra Book 3 Review: Episodes 1 – 3

VladDraculi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No advertising, not on BD, and only sold at Target means it is not only terrible, but WB has no faith in it. I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix and if it never does, then it wasn't worth my time to begin with.