toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by -batmat- View Post
    I actually started to watch the hole show and never thought about Alfred, and in that episode where Max learns Terry's identity and they name Alfred, I realized he'd be dead by then, and got extremly sad about it!
    I felt sad after my brother pointed that out too. I always liked Bruce's relationship with Alfred in the other series, so knowing that he was dead by the time Batman Beyond started was pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by sdp
    I remember the commercials made it seem awful and not something I wanted to watch. I saw the first episode and realized how awesome it was. Great show, would love to see a new take on BB in the future.
    I'd really like another take on Batman Beyond in the future too. It would be pretty interesting, especially when it could be more of a stand-alone series rather than a continuation of a previous series.

Quote Originally Posted by sdp
    I also agree that I was very disappointed with how they got rid of Blight after the first season, he was Terry's Joker or whatever and he never appeared again, even though the storyline of S1 ended I still didn't think it was enough closure. I believe he appeared in the BB Comic books again but nothing noteworthy. I wonder why they never used him again, there must've been a reason right? They brought back so many other people. I haven't watched the show in a few years so my memory is hazy but I remember a bunch of missed opportunities like, the black girl with pink hair not becoming Terry's Batgirl, having Nightwing show up etc. Too bad the show never got a real finale during the shows run. The whole splicing thing was a great idea, but it was miss used in more than one occasion.
    I don't mind that Max didn't become Terry's Batgirl. It's possible it could have gone that way since she was becoming more involved with the missions as the series progressed, but I was fine with her position as it was. I'm surprised that they didn't show what happened to her in Epilogue. I was disappointed that Nightwing never appeared though. That could have been really interesting to see how Nightwing turned out after he left Gotham and how his relationship with Bruce could have been handled. Only getting a mention during Return of the Joker was disappointing.

Neo Yi is offline GANNONDORK!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The first time I heard about Batman Beyond was in a Disney Adventures' magazine article about upcoming kid's shows. I remember thinking at the time, "That is an ugly Batman outfit."

I watched the show since its original airing and quickly grew to love it; it's still my favorite of the DCAU. Oh, and yes, I love the outfit now. The Batman Beyond suit is now one of my favorite of the Batsuits. It's very striking amongst the simplicity.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    I talk a bit about How To Train Your Dragon 2.

Toddman is offline Hulk not good with words.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I'm pretty sure they said the Near Apocalypse devastated part of Gotham so they essentially built Neo Gotham over the remnants. So in a way, Ra's inadvertently helping in that regard.
    That's an interesting theory, but the only real description about the Near Apocalypse of '09 was that Talia helped Batman fight Ra's Al Ghul during the time it occurred. It's not even specifically stated that Ra's was the cause of the Near Apocalypse (it's possible he may have just been up to no good while it was all going down...)

Anyway - there's definitely no indication that those events destroyed any of Gotham City. Judging from the city skyline as it looks in the opening of "Rebirth", most of the development and growth of Neo Gotham looks like it would have taken place during the 20 years after Wayne retired:

Quote Originally Posted by sdp View Post
    The whole splicing thing was a great idea, but it was miss used in more than one occasion.
    How do you feel splicing on BB was misused?

Toddman
    Last edited by Toddman; 12-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddman View Post
    That's an interesting theory, but the only real description about the Near Apocalypse of '09 was that Talia helped Batman fight Ra's Al Ghul during the time it occurred. It's not even specifically stated that Ra's was the cause of the Near Apocalypse (it's possible he may have just been up to no good while it was all going down...)

Anyway - there's definitely no indication that those events destroyed any of Gotham City. Judging from the city skyline as it looks in the opening of "Rebirth", most of the development and growth of Neo Gotham looks like it would have taken place during the 20 years after Wayne retired
    Ah, good point, Toddman. I think in my head I was assuming the Near Apocalypse was always "The Demon's Quest" plan 2.0 but Batman didn't get there in time and some of the Lazarus Pits were set off. I have to rewatch "Out of the Past" but I recall the cover story was Talia used Ra's empire to found an organization dedicated to cleaning up devastation caused by the Near Apocalypse and that's where I may have jumped to conclusions.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 8, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What surprises me is Batman Beyond doesn't really feel like a superhero show most of the time, but more of a, "monster/freak of the week" type show. Most of the villains in Batman Beyond are just one-shot freaks or monsters that die at the end of the episode.

The show had a few traditional recurring supervillains like Spellbinder, the Royal Flush gang, Inque, Shriek, etc......but most episodes feature just a one-shot villains/monster usually tied to Terry's school or classmates that's killed off at the end of the episode.

Even when I was a kid I always knew this was the reason Batman Beyond felt so different from B:TAS or Superman. The episodes always dealt with supernatural mysteries or school related problems...not so much traditional supervillains. It says a lot when you realize there weren't many recurring villains in Batman Beyond at all.

reflection is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That was a negative of the show especially Season 2. The strength of the recurring villains helped make up for it.

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    That was a negative of the show especially Season 2. The strength of the recurring villains helped make up for it.
    There are barely any recurring villains on the show. Maybe about 7 at the most not counting the Jokers after Blight dies in Season 1's finale:

Inque, Spellbinder, The Royal Flush Gang, Curai, Shreek, Stalker, Willie.

Aside from that we had some Cobra episodes and that's it. For a show that ran for 52 episodes they barely created any notable new villains. They were all one-shots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Season 2 was twice as long as season 1 and 3, so that accounts for why it seemed like a lot of one shots.

Curare. Not Curai.

Shriek. Not Shreek.

Kobra. Not Cobra.

There was Mad Stan, Big Time, and the Brain Trust as well.

reflection is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So 9 recurring villains, most original. By comparison, how many did BTAS have?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    So 9 recurring villains, most original. By comparison, how many did BTAS have?
    So you want to compare with that show? Jejune, but I would guess a dozen and a half. Unless you mean combined with Adventures of Batman & Robin and The New Batman Adventures. Then probably more towards a little over 24-ish. But again, all mostly established characters.

Clayface, Catwoman, Roland Daggett, Rupert Thorne, Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Two-Face, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, Kyodai Ken, Milo, H.A.R.D.A.C., Man-Bat (a bit of a conceit), Riddler, and Ra's al Ghul

Combined: Add in Red Claw, Mr. Freeze, Clock King, Ventriloquist and Scarface, Bane, Firefly, and Baby Doll

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast