toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
Loading

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Spider-Man's Avatar
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Web-Slinging
    Posts
    8,448
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Will there be another "big" DC Comics cartoon again?

    Like This Thread!

    Will we ever see another big DC Comics cartoon? When I say "big," I mean something that had a lot of traction and a very involved following, like Young Justice and Justice League Unlimited. Even Teen Titans. I found over the last few years those are the real big breakouts shows. There were other DC Comics shows that were popular but nothing really seemed to equal those in terms of appeal and fanbase.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

    "Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

    Avatar Courtesy of Nightwing

  2. #2
    BigFatHairyDeal's Avatar
    BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't see any reason why not. Now, if the question were would we ever see anything as extensive as the DCAU, with the hundreds of episodes in continuity with one another, I would be far more skeptical. Getting something like Young Justice, though, in terms of continuity and length, seems kind of inevitable to me.

  3. #3
    CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Young Justice was critically acclaimed writing wise, but it was never really popular with kids.

    Outside of the DCAU shows Teen Titans was obviously the most popular. The Batman only succeeded because it was on KidsWB, and Brave and the Bold filled a niche,

  4. #4
    Gravitea's Avatar
    Gravitea is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't see why we wouldn't get another one; considering the ratio of big hit DC animated series in the past twenty years to the ones that weren't such a hit. It depends on the characters, for whom the series is aimed for, the stories and the saga.
    From one choice, a universe is created...

  5. #5
    btgr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Batman: The Brave and the Bold has the highest chance of being brought back from the dead because that show was popular with kids and James Tucker & Michael Jelenic have both said they would love to do a Justice League International animated series spin-off. Plus Brave and the Bold is a comedy.

  6. #6
    ILDC is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    985
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by btgr View Post
    Batman: The Brave and the Bold has the highest chance of being brought back from the dead because that show was popular with kids and James Tucker & Michael Jelenic have both said they would love to do a Justice League International animated series spin-off. Plus Brave and the Bold is a comedy.
    "Lighter" doesn't always mean comedy.

  7. #7
    sdp
    sdp is offline God
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N.W.
    Posts
    5,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You never know, but you can take a look at this forum as evidence that things are just not the same. When I first joined this section was booming and now it's just a shadow of it's former self. The new DC shows just didn't have as big of a fanbase and the ones that have gotten smaller niche fanbases ended upc ancelled.

  8. #8
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Things go in cycles. There's not a doubt in my mind that there will one day be another "big" DC cartoon sometime in the future, though it may not happen under this current regime. DC and Warner Brothers need to go back to the War Room and seriously rethink their producing and marketing strategies before such an upsurge can be expected to happen.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

  9. #9
    Lighthammer's Avatar
    Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The climate is actually terrible for another series like Young Justice or Justice League (or even Legion of Super Heroes).

    The probably is desire for a series from the audience, but the problem a venue who is going to treat a high quality DC animated series right.

    In theory, that has always been CN or (now) The CW but over the years the only places that REALLY did justice by DC series were sub-networks such as DC Nation (for Young Justice), Toonami (for Justice League), KidsWB (For Superman TAS and Batman Beyond) and FoxKids (for Batman TAS). There's no primary network really standing by DC properties right now in a very meaningful way to support them and keep them alive. DC Nation, which should be a beacon for DC Shows is frankly being constantly sabotaged from various forces (probably fairly, CN themselves).

    DC really needs to firm up a better partner before we can really hope to see a really great new series. DC Nation on The CW might be a good step, but it might be really prudent for DC to look for a better broadcast partner outside the Turner Broadcasting or Time Werner.

    Honestly, I keep saying, if DC REALLY wants to get a new animated series rolling either they should consider making some in roads in The CW or Boomerang to get away from Cartoon Network's interested control or they should explore a relationship with Hasbro or perhaps Nick.

  10. #10
    reflection is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    983
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Netflix. Just strike a deal with Netflix.

  11. #11
    Neo-god's Avatar
    Neo-god is offline Moonrider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Young Justice was critically acclaimed writing wise, but it was never really popular with kids.
    Not surprised, YJ seemed to pander too much to DC fans instead of appealing to a broader audience.

    Seeing the success of the Avatar franchise makes me think it shouldn't be impossible for the next DC toon to be "huge" but I guess only time will tell for sure.

  12. #12
    reflection is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    983
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How should it have appealed to a broader audience outside of having appealing characters of wide age ranges, good story lines, mix of familiar and new villains, along with nice character designs and animation?

  13. #13
    Rick Jones's Avatar
    Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    177A Bleecker Street
    Posts
    3,739
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Netflix. Just strike a deal with Netflix.
    I don't think Netflix is ready to handle a full animated series of that expense yet.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

  14. #14
    Lighthammer's Avatar
    Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-god View Post
    Not surprised, YJ seemed to pander too much to DC fans instead of appealing to a broader audience.

    Seeing the success of the Avatar franchise makes me think it shouldn't be impossible for the next DC toon to be "huge" but I guess only time will tell for sure.
    Ok Neo-god, I'm gonna call you on this.

    I've seen a number of posts from you on this forum since I've been reading again with Young Justice news around and most your posts are just pot shots at "Oh that sucks" but I haven't seen you actually ever qualify your response too far beyond those sorts of comments.

    If you're going to continue to take these pot shots, please, give us some concrete examples of what you think is or isn't good; structure your argument to illustrate you've given this some thought. To do otherwise is just a disruption of the communication between others in the discussion and its unfair to everyone else because I know everyone else (at least on this page) has a good rep for doing just that (weather I routinely agree with them or not).

    What you're throwing out is very vague and not detailed to be conversation. Its just like that guy who walks into a crowd and starts talking loudly to be heard. I'm not trying to downgrade you, but I want to invite you into the conversation, I don't want you to be a disruption TO the conversation and to contribute to the conversation you have to give some real examples. Sometimes you might even find as your typing that your knee-jerk reaction wasn't a correct assessment as you physically put your examples down: that happens to the best of us.

    But I mean seriously -- calling Young Justice not broad enough? It covered such a wide range that that is the last thing a reasonable person would say about Young Justice of all the complaints you could reasonably make about it.

  15. #15
    Neo-god's Avatar
    Neo-god is offline Moonrider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't feel comfortable continuing this conversation i I struck that big of a nerve, but honestly I didn't think I was being vague at all. I was replying to someone who pointed out that the show wasn't that popular among kids the way Teen Titans and Justice League were. And the reason I think that's the case is because the show seemed more about appealing to people who were already familiar with DC lore with all the easter eggs and scope of the comics that were adapted. If you disagree with that, no problem, but that should have been clear enough.

  16. #16
    reflection is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    983
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Why would appealing to DC lore much like the DCUA did lose appeal to a broader audience?

  17. #17
    Lighthammer's Avatar
    Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-god View Post
    I don't feel comfortable continuing this conversation i I struck that big of a nerve, but honestly I didn't think I was being vague at all. I was replying to someone who pointed out that the show wasn't that popular among kids the way Teen Titans and Justice League were. And the reason I think that's the case is because the show seemed more about appealing to people who were already familiar with DC lore with all the easter eggs and scope of the comics that were adapted. If you disagree with that, no problem, but that should have been clear enough.
    I don't see Young Justice like that at all --- if Greg Weisman was all about appeasing older fans strictly with Easter Eggs, he wouldn't be all but recreating some characters to make them work and work in a way that was meaningful to younger generations. Tye Longshadow, for instance, would have remained Apache Chief; a very one dimensional character in his previous incarnations.

    Greg Weisman did everything he could to make the show appealing to younger and older audiences, though in fairness, he probably hit a slightly older audience then CN wanted and that's ultimately "why the show had to go". Statistically the show was very popular with teens, young adults and older generations, but what CN wanted was something that targeted the tweens. It missed THAT mark but in fairness, DC knew what they were getting they hired Greg Weisman for the show and CN knew what they were getting when they brought exclusive broadcast rights to it. Greg Weisman has NEVER done a show that exclusively targeted tweens; arguably the closet he was involved in was The Batman where he wrote some episodes throughout all seasons but was never the go to go for the series. Even in season 4 and season 5 when he was clearly the pace setter for the series by that point, he was never officially "the guy" of that series nor do I think he would ever claim to have been or claim he wanted to be.

    CN dropped the ball on the marketing through and through where the series was concerned. They tried to market as something it wasn't. The sad and annoying part is it was getting all the ratings most other networks would cry for but it wasn't the ratings THEY WANTED.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO