toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
Loading

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 501
  1. #121
    Yojimbo's Avatar
    Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Shahdaroba
    Posts
    10,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

    Obviously, the conversation is diverging to a general topic so Monte and Jacob - please take it to PM if you wish to continue talking to each other. Thanks.

    EDIT: Just so it's clear, the warning does also apply to everyone. Keep the ongoing discussion in frame with Beware The Batman while citing outside examples.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 12-16-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added clarification
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 16, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

  2. #122
    TheVileOne's Avatar
    TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,466
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    you sure about that... i did a quick search on t-shirts and i think most of the shirts i found were unofficial T-shirts. And i certainly do not recall ever seeing any t-shirts or other stuff in any clothing stores.

    Also one thing that doesn't help sell toys... ridiculous pricing. Honestly, a 6 inch figures at $20, and that's marked DOWN from $30. Honestly i remember back when i was a kid, actions figures like that cost more like $10. Looking around i think other hot toy sellers like ben 10 and TMNT tend to have more affordable prices. And god forbid there might actually be a commercial for the toys. Honestly, Young justice barely ever got any commercials in general much less toy commericals(heck if not for these forums, i wouldn't even KNOW a toyline existed)... heck I'd say the same for DC nation; hardly ever see commercials since the beginning; And i can't recall the last time i saw a beware the batman commerical. Unlike Teen titans Go... they get their own exclusive commercials and their own exclusive time slot away from the DC programming block(thus completely eliminating the point of even HAVING a block in the first place). Really, there was no push at all to make these sales work. CN adopted a defeatist policy; we probably can't sell em', so lets not spend much money and energy trying so we don't suffer much losses. Kinda like how they handle Girls... they think girls won't buy their toys so they don't bother trying to sell to them; they fulfill their own prophecies. Really we heard it from Dini himself; if CN has any reason to think something won't work, they won't even bother trying and then complain when they get sub-par results.
    Action figures cost more now and that's all across the boards, not just DCU. It's inflation.

    One Hot Topic shirt does not make a merchandise line. Look at Adventure Time or My Little Pony, they have shirts, toys, plush dolls, hoodies, the whole nine yards. I can walk into my local HMV and pick up an Adventure Time sword, a Fin and Jake mug, and other goodies right next to the DVDs. What could you buy for Young Justice? Some overpriced toys that were reportably very poor quality and one shirt from one outlet store? If these shows need to be merchandise driven to survive then they need good merchandise to buy and a variety of items than action figures.
    OK, My Little Pony you do realize was a toyline/franchise created by Hasbro and aimed at girls right? I realize that Friendship is Magic has the whole brony phenomenon and all, but it still originated as a girl's toyline/franchise.

    Adventure Time, I realize has broad appeal. But it's not your typical action cartoon. It's considered a comedy series. To me this is apples and oranges.

    I just think Smith is off-base with his argument here. I don't think the answer is simple as make t-shirts and merchandise for Young Justice or Beware the Batman that girls will buy to make the show profitable. I can see the appeal of Beware the Batman for females because Batman's sidekick is a female character. Unfortunately, other than Batman, we got virtually no figures for this show. The thing is, Mattel does market research, and these toys cost money to make. And based on their sales data and market research, there is not enough money in the budget to spare the expense on making a Katana figure, whether we like it or not. With DC Direct, it is different because those are aimed more at a collector, older market. Would making Beware the Batman mugs, backpacks, bedsheets or say a Katana costume have really made the show more profitable and attractive for girls?

    I think the shift we need to see is for a show like this (Beware the Batman) to be able to be successful without having to rely on toys or merchandise sales.

    The other problem is that Beware the Batman came at a bad time when DC Animation/WB Animation was in transition. Things likely had to get changed because of the Colorado shootings. This is just speculation, but maybe because of all this happening around the show, it's a show that WB wanted to sweep under the rug. And now with the Nolan trilogy over and it seems priorities shifting toward Batman vs. Superman/Justice League, priorities have shifted on what WB/CN might want to see with DC-themed animation. Just like Green Lantern came after the movie bombed, so it was almost destined to fail.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."


    -CM Punk

  3. #123
    W.C.Reaf's Avatar
    W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    OK, My Little Pony you do realize was a toyline/franchise created by Hasbro and aimed at girls right? I realize that Friendship is Magic has the whole brony phenomenon and all, but it still originated as a girl's toyline/franchise.

    Adventure Time, I realize has broad appeal. But it's not your typical action cartoon. It's considered a comedy series. To me this is apples and oranges.

    I just think Smith is off-base with his argument here. I don't think the answer is simple as make t-shirts and merchandise for Young Justice that girls will buy to make the show profitable.
    And yet, despite the nature of those shows, I can still buy a variety of merchandise to support them. I don't see what them being comedy series has to do with them getting mugs, t-shirts, push dolls, plastic swords, hoodies, caps, wallets, bags, buttons, gloves, belts, bed sets, cupcake toppers, posters, and a range of comics, activity books, and the like. Why can't Young Justice or Beware the Batman have those things? You can get most of that stuff for Dark Knight Rises and that wasn't a comedy series or a kids show. So, again, why can Adventure Time get all that stuff yet Beware The Batman can't? Surely Batman has more broad appeal, afterall he's Batman and a billion dollar franchise.

    For Beware The Batman there is one action figure available from Amazon, a poster, a single tie-in comic, and several MacDonald’s toys. That's going to kill the show more than anything else. It's Christmas and boys can only get one Batman figure, no villains for him to fight, no playsets to fight in, no allies or vehicles to help him, just one lone figure. This show is dead in the water and fans can't even support it because the execs don't want to.
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Captain America: Winter Soldier Review
    Repercussions of Captain America: Winter Soldier

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    260
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, since some folks are encouraging that we keep this page Beware the Batman-related, Dini didn't necessarily say that this whole 'no-girls allowed' mentality is what cut BtB.
    I never actually tuned in to this show so my knowledge is a bit frizzy. But do you guys think WB made the wrong decision by using the lesser known characters? I'm sure CN flipped their kids when they saw that not only was Batman's sidekick NOT going to be Robin, but also a female. This may have alienated the little boy-demographic CN seems to think is precious, when it's arguably the ONLY group their shows are geared towards.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

  5. #125
    Toddman's Avatar
    Toddman is offline Hulk not good with words.
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually like Kevin Smith, but he's pretty far off-base in his assessment of how to generate enough merchandise sales to keep animated properties (girl-friendly or not) from being canceled and under-supported by network management.

    It's all fine and good to have t-shirts and sleeping bags and backpacks produced that feature the likeness of Young Justice/Green Lantern/Beware The Batman/etc - - -

    But what Smith and others need to understand is that items like that are produced by companies that make thousands of t-shirts and sleeping bags and backpacks every month. They may buy licenses to characters from animated series (usually over a short-term period) along with dozens of other licenses.

    Why would "Acme Backpacks Inc" acquire the license to make Young Justice backpacks - a property that couldn't sustain it's own line of action figures - when they can simply churn out a large quantity of backpacks that feature licenses that are guaranteed sellers like maybe Hot Wheels or Lego Star Wars. Or why would they not just produce backpacks with dinosaurs or polka-dots or zig-zags stripes which costs them zero licensing fees at all...

    A toyline is a completely different animal. When a toy manufacturer acquires a license it represents a multi-million dollar investment using substantially more time, man-power and company resources.

    Action figure lines are produced from scratch. They don't just slap a logo on a pre-existing product of which they already have (like mugs or notebooks).

    And the space reserved on toy shelves are for those lines specifically. Whereas the space available for 'boys lunchboxes' at Target can be just as easily filled with Super Mario lunchboxes as it can with Beware The Batman lunchboxes.

    The toy aisle is a different story. Toy companies and retailers both have to agree to clear a spot specifically for Beware The Batman vehicles and action figures that can't be so easily replaced if the line under-performs.

    Like it or not, retailers and toy companies (and in turn network executives) don't just throw their support behind certain animated series on a whim. They expend months in market research and focus groups before making their decisions.

    If they don't see the needle move enough in audience interest to make a viable toyline, then chances are not many other companies are going to be lining up to produce a sizable amount of other items.

    Toddman

  6. #126
    Neo-god's Avatar
    Neo-god is offline Moonrider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Good point.

    I think soon CN's programming will soon be reduced to animated toy commercials. They're already a step closer with all the Lego toons.

    I really hope DC soon gets permission to license to the Hub or a Japanese studio.

  7. #127
    Hordesman's Avatar
    Hordesman is online now slashor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bobobo World
    Posts
    3,551
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Action figures cost more now and that's all across the boards, not just DCU. It's inflation. .
    Among. other things. First off, the pricing is based off a bulk model. The more units sold, the more production costs can be split and passed onto the consumer in the form of lower prices. TMNT could be as low as $3.99 in the early 90s. Gargoyles were $6-7 a piece in most places iirc. Second, costs have gone up. Oil is more expensive, Chinese wages are going up and I imagine the transportation costs have as well. I feel like the future of action figures is this: the total heroes line (msrp $10) coming in 2014 is basically a preschool line. It has some $20 deluxe figures being sold online such as John Stewart, batman beyond and black manta, as well- it's my observation that mattycollector is an attempt to subsidize development via collector product. There are 4" DC figures coming out next year based off the Arkham games, superman 2 and batman returns which I suspect is the last chance to sell more detailed figures at retail. The economics of it are not great, right now. And it looks like the Batman66 line is moving towards a toys r us exclusive status, just like the TMNT classics line did. There's been no press release but they seem to be shipping with "only at tRU" stickers. I suspect some of the bat66 line may be reissued in 4" though. But BtB does seem to be selling well- I haven't found one in a couple weeks but I've seen vampire batman from the same wave in stores,
    Last edited by Hordesman; 12-18-2013 at 04:27 AM.

  8. #128
    W.C.Reaf's Avatar
    W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddman View Post
    I actually like Kevin Smith, but he's pretty far off-base in his assessment of how to generate enough merchandise sales to keep animated properties (girl-friendly or not) from being canceled and under-supported by network management.

    It's all fine and good to have t-shirts and sleeping bags and backpacks produced that feature the likeness of Young Justice/Green Lantern/Beware The Batman/etc - - -
    I'm no expert on these things and don't have a clue how the big business side of things runs, and I recognise that everything costs money so whipping up a t-shirt is a lot more difficult than Smith makes it sound. But since this is how these shows are meant to make money then surely some thought should be given to the idea of selling to others who would also buy the product.

    Surely the point of marketing from pre-established superheroes is that they have a proven wider appeal. You make Batman because everyone loves Batman. And girls do buy merchandise, not as much as the boys, but they still do and are in that wider appeal. So if the companies used some of their budget to make something other than action figures to sell, make some commercials that show boys and girls playing with them (which has been proven to show that a toy is gender neutral) and sell things to both genders. Why cut off part of the profits just because one side won't make as much as the other? At the beginning they don't have to make things exclusively for girls, just don't exclude them.

    Let's face it Green Lantern had nothing out in stores (because the toy shops didn't want any due to the movie), and Beware The Batman has one single toy, so maybe selling other stuff with that toy budget they weren't using could've helped those shows. Otherwise they should find another way to monetise these shows because their current method is terrible. We know girls watch these shows so selling stuff for them is a better option that not selling anything and going "we're cancelling the show because our non-existent merchandise isn't selling."
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Captain America: Winter Soldier Review
    Repercussions of Captain America: Winter Soldier

  9. #129
    Hordesman's Avatar
    Hordesman is online now slashor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bobobo World
    Posts
    3,551
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C.Reaf View Post
    I'm no expert on these things and don't have a clue how the big business side of things runs, and I recognise that everything costs money so whipping up a t-shirt is a lot more difficult than Smith makes it sound. But since this is how these shows are meant to make money then surely some thought should be given to the idea of selling to others who would also buy the product. Surely the point of marketing from pre-established superheroes is that they have a proven wider appeal. You make Batman because everyone loves Batman. And girls do buy merchandise, not as much as the boys, but they still do and are in that wider appeal. So if the companies used some of their budget to make something other than action figures to sell, make some commercials that show boys and girls playing with them (which has been proven to show that a toy is gender neutral) and sell things to both genders. Why cut off part of the profits just because one side won't make as much as the other? At the beginning they don't have to make things exclusively for girls, just don't exclude them. Let's face it Green Lantern had nothing out in stores (because the toy shops didn't want any due to the movie), and Beware The Batman has one single toy, so maybe selling other stuff with that toy budget they weren't using could've helped those shows. Otherwise they should find another way to monetise these shows because their current method is terrible. We know girls watch these shows so selling stuff for them is a better option that not selling anything and going "we're cancelling the show because our non-existent merchandise isn't selling."
    Well, it's a question of investment. For example, Mattel won't advertise unless there's data that the ads will pay for themselves in extra sales. And that does remind me of a monster high tv ad that did not show the male doll that was part of the assortment. There are parents and perhaps kids too that resist dolls or figures of the opposite gender. It's a question of gravy. Girls and older viewers are treated as extra. The important thing is the core target demographic. I still think we might see a wave of multiverse (the 4" line coming in 2014) or batman power attack based on beware the batman, if not a separate line, but it's possible the decision hasn't been made yet. All I know for sure is that I've just secured BtB #21

  10. #130
    Monte's Avatar
    Monte is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Long island
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordesman View Post
    Well, it's a question of investment. For example, Mattel won't advertise unless there's data that the ads will pay for themselves in extra sales. And that does remind me of a monster high tv ad that did not show the male doll that was part of the assortment. There are parents and perhaps kids too that resist dolls or figures of the opposite gender. It's a question of gravy. Girls and older viewers are treated as extra. The important thing is the core target demographic. I still think we might see a wave of multiverse (the 4" line coming in 2014) or batman power attack based on beware the batman, if not a separate line, but it's possible the decision hasn't been made yet. All I know for sure is that I've just secured BtB #21
    Thing is, they can do alot of it all at once. Like with that male doll for the monster High thing you mentioned... exactly what would the company have to loose from putting the male doll in the commercial? Do they really think that just because a male doll exists the girls who don't want a male doll are going to avoid the female dolls? The commercial would advertise the male doll and help sell it to those who want it, while those that don't will simply ignore it and instead buy the female dolls. They advertise both gendered toys and it doesn't cost them anything extra, since its all in one commercial. Now making OTHER items available would indeed be an additional cost, but as they say, you have to spend money to make money... you got to make investments, and it seems these companies don't want to to anything if its not a sure thing; and that in turn is really hurting them since they are just shooting themselves in the foot. They COULD have had a successful toyline, but they didn't want to work for it and thus just cut their losses and thus gave up on what could have been a big profit for them.

    To steer this back to Beware the batman since as mentioend above we ARE getting off topic... We have a beware the batman toy created but nothing to go with it. There are no villians for him to fight, allies to fight with, and no gadgets for him to use. What kid wants an action figure who doesn't have other action figures and extras to play with? A single batman figure is not a toyline... no a toyline would actually include katanna, alfred and several villains right from the start. Though really, to echo what i said above, You could have a batman figure and a katanna figure and then have a commerical with a boy and girl playing together with the respective toys

    And someone mentioned the Mcdonald's toys... i remember those and also remember how they were all just different batmans; no katanna, no alfred, no Professor Pyg, no anarchy, or anyone else. Just a bunch of batman... No one seems to know there are other characters on that show

    Though i could wonder if Batman is just too over saturated. Much like how the green lantern toyline was killed by their being too many unsellable green lantern movie toys left on the shelves, it could be that there are too many batman toys... sure unlike the movie green lantern, those toys actually sell, but their are too many. Toy stores need space for other toys, not just more batman. Hence how over saturation could have helpped kill a BtB line.


    Though granted, getting the BtB toyline off the ground would have been harder and a tougher investment to justify given BtB's ratings. YJ had the ratings to justify a toyline, but they never bothered to advertise the things and thus didn't really try; really it feels like the toyline failed due to lack of marketing more than anything... in the case of BtB, CN never gave it much support and the show seemed to flop right out the gate; if the ratings aren't there then i can understand more why they would not push the toyline... if your not gonna push the show, no point at pushing the toyline. In anycase, CN's handling of these shows, The DC Nation block, their toylines, and their promotion (or lack there of) is the reason these shows fail.
    ________________________
    My Deviant art
    Webcomic Ascension

  11. #131
    W.C.Reaf's Avatar
    W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As Dini said (or at least parroted a CN exec) "'cause our audience—the audience we wanna go after, is not the Young Justice audience any more. We wanna go after little kids, who are into—boys who are into goofy humor, goofy random humor, like on Adventure Time or Regular Show. We wanna do that goofy, that sense of humor, that’s where we’re going for."

    They want to do more TTG not serious action shows. So they just do what they can against the shows they're given from WB and DC, make them fail in a way then can say "kids clearly don't want action shows anymore, look no one is buying these toys." Then when the execs change to someone who wants more action they'll put some serious effort into making them succeed.
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Captain America: Winter Soldier Review
    Repercussions of Captain America: Winter Soldier

  12. #132
    Monte's Avatar
    Monte is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Long island
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C.Reaf View Post
    As Dini said (or at least parroted a CN exec) "'cause our audience—the audience we wanna go after, is not the Young Justice audience any more. We wanna go after little kids, who are into—boys who are into goofy humor, goofy random humor, like on Adventure Time or Regular Show. We wanna do that goofy, that sense of humor, that’s where we’re going for."

    They want to do more TTG not serious action shows. So they just do what they can against the shows they're given from WB and DC, make them fail in a way then can say "kids clearly don't want action shows anymore, look no one is buying these toys." Then when the execs change to someone who wants more action they'll put some serious effort into making them succeed.
    Yes... there does indeed feel like they actually WANTED these shows to fail so that they had an excuse to make something different. I have said before how it feels like CN is treating DC Nation more like a simple obligation they have to keep up for DC, rather than an actual block they want to see succeed

    Actually another bit about this idiocy... If i recall correctly, The whole failed debacle that was CNReal was supposed to be an attempt to broaden CN's audience to get some more teens watching the network; executives didn't think teens liked cartoons and thought live action would appeal to them more(which just shows more about how these people don't seem to know anything about their audience). And they pushed those shows hard; a lot of shows, a lot of promotion and a strong push to keep renewing the shows when animated shows in similar positions probably would have been dropped. But then when they get Cartoons that seem to develop a teen following and are actually doing what they wanted CNReal to do; suddenly, expanding the audience and getting good ratings is not good enough, and they need to sell toys to kids. YJ was a fairly successful series. BtB wasn't, But with more support, i feel like it COULD have been.
    ________________________
    My Deviant art
    Webcomic Ascension

  13. #133
    Toddman's Avatar
    Toddman is offline Hulk not good with words.
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.C.Reaf View Post
    ... make some commercials that show boys and girls playing with them (which has been proven to show that a toy is gender neutral) and sell things to both genders. Why cut off part of the profits just because one side won't make as much as the other? At the beginning they don't have to make things exclusively for girls, just don't exclude them.
    Speaking as someone who has spent over ten years in the toy advertising business (the commercial production end, not the executive decision-making end), I can tell you that what you're suggesting would actually have the reverse effect of what you want.

    Putting girls in a commercial that is intended to sell a product that is traditionally for boys (i.e. acton figures, race cars, etc) will not only never be given a chance to reach a wide portion of the girl audience (no company trying to sell Batman action figures is going to buy ad space time during My Little Pony)....

    But it's proven that if 6-11 year-old boys see a toy commercial with girls in it (even if there are 2-3 boys in the spot and only one girl) they perceive that product as being a 'girls toy' and they will decide they don't want their parents to buy it for them. A multi-gender commercial would end up alienating the built-in consumer base that already exists

    That's simply the reality of society and the business situation that toy companies and toy retailers have to cater to.


    Toddman

  14. #134
    Hordesman's Avatar
    Hordesman is online now slashor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bobobo World
    Posts
    3,551
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddman View Post
    Speaking as someone who has spent over ten years in the toy advertising business (the commercial production end, not the executive decision-making end), I can tell you that what you're suggesting would actually have the reverse effect of what you want. Putting girls in a commercial that is intended to sell a product that is traditionally for boys (i.e. acton figures, race cars, etc) will not only never be given a chance to reach a wide portion of the girl audience (no company trying to sell Batman action figures is going to buy ad space time during My Little Pony).... But it's proven that if 6-11 year-old boys see a toy commercial with girls in it (even if there are 2-3 boys in the spot and only one girl) they perceive that product as being a 'girls toy' and they will decide they don't want their parents to buy it for them. A multi-gender commercial would end up alienating the built-in consumer base that already exists That's simply the reality of society and the business situation that toy companies and toy retailers have to cater to. Toddman
    To add to that... This article itself is an interesting read http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/o...er-of-control/ but of particular note is the comment about a CN Justice League style guide that forbade Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl from being on merchandise by themselves. I'm not even sure we would see Katana in a BtB line.

  15. #135
    W.C.Reaf's Avatar
    W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddman View Post
    Speaking as someone who has spent over ten years in the toy advertising business (the commercial production end, not the executive decision-making end), I can tell you that what you're suggesting would actually have the reverse effect of what you want.

    Putting girls in a commercial that is intended to sell a product that is traditionally for boys (i.e. acton figures, race cars, etc) will not only never be given a chance to reach a wide portion of the girl audience (no company trying to sell Batman action figures is going to buy ad space time during My Little Pony)....

    But it's proven that if 6-11 year-old boys see a toy commercial with girls in it (even if there are 2-3 boys in the spot and only one girl) they perceive that product as being a 'girls toy' and they will decide they don't want their parents to buy it for them. A multi-gender commercial would end up alienating the built-in consumer base that already exists

    That's simply the reality of society and the business situation that toy companies and toy retailers have to cater to.


    Toddman
    OK then. They still need to do something to tap into the wider appeal these shows have. Just hanging the entire lifeline of a show on action figure sales isn't helping the shows one bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hordesman View Post
    To add to that... This article itself is an interesting read Ottertorials A Matter of Control but of particular note is the comment about a CN Justice League style guide that forbade Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl from being on merchandise by themselves. I'm not even sure we would see Katana in a BtB line.
    Yeah, that happens. According to Dini the most requested toy when they were doing BTAS was Harley Quinn. It took them five years of begging the toy company to release a figure for her, and it was Shortpacked so collectors were immediately snapping them all up to sell for $40 online. Meaning it was hardly in stores.
    The Reaf Debrief My site for my reviews and articles of comics, cartoons, and riffing on nostalgia.
    Currently up:
    Captain America: Winter Soldier Review
    Repercussions of Captain America: Winter Soldier

  16. #136
    Yojimbo's Avatar
    Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Shahdaroba
    Posts
    10,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The folks at the CN January Premieres thread have posted BTB returns on January 18th with "Attraction" and on the 25th with "Fall" now at the 10 am time slot (keep in mind these are educated speculations based on available data).
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 16, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

  17. #137
    Hordesman's Avatar
    Hordesman is online now slashor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bobobo World
    Posts
    3,551
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

  18. #138
    Coach McGuirk is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you very much Paul Dini for helping shed some light on what is going on over there at CN. Since no one at CN is going to tell its viewers what's going on, it's nice that someone gave us an idea of what sort of idiotic thinking is taking place at that network.

    I still do not understand what the deal was with Beware the Batman. CN never promoted it and there was no toyline for it. How do you expect a show to perform well in the ratings with no promotion? How do you expect a show to sell toys when there is no toyline? And here's the biggest question of all: If stupid, random, ADHD type humor, seen on such shows as Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Teen Titans Go, etc., is what CN wants, then why in the world did they ever, ever greenlight a show like BTB? It was a waste of everyone's time. The people who worked on it invested themselves into something that was always secretly intended by CN to be canned. The people who became fans of the show were spit on and given no official explanation. And the executives at CN lost valuable time airing "garbage" like BTB when they could have been airing more ADHD programming that might sell toys.

    I grew up watching the original Batman Animated Series. It wasn't retarded humor and silly jokes. It was dark and serious, just the way Batman should be. And you know what? I had a mess of the action figures. Heck, I even had the Catwoman and Poison Ivy figures. I didn't care that they were women. And I didn't care that there wasn't juvenile humor. I liked Batman and his whole cast of characters.

    I'm a Batman fan, and it's a personal insult to me that a quality Batman show is more than likely being cancelled because of idiots in suits who don't care the first thing about cartoons or characters. I enjoyed the Powerpuff Girls years ago (yet another example of how a boy could get into a show that wasn't written specifically with dumb boy humor in mind, or whatever CN is going for). I was interested in watching the new PPG movie coming out soon. I won't watch it now, because I'm done with CN. WB/DC better find a better avenue for their programming, because CN is not the right place. They can take their cool, hip, stupid humor and shove it. I remember the days when cartoons were made without age barriers. You could be 5 or 65, and you could find the same show enjoyable. Now it appears we are heading back into a period like the early/mid 80s, where cartoons were only seen as a way of selling merchandise. CN was where it was at back in the day, but they have been declining over the past decade. Again, thanks be to Paul Dini for explaining what part of the problem is. I won't be able to watch CN anymore because I am too sickened by it. Here's hoping that one day there will be new management there that will at least attempt to restore it to being a great home for great cartoons. For now, it is a place for nonsensical and random "humor," and long blocks of Seth McFarlane excrement.

  19. #139
    Hordesman's Avatar
    Hordesman is online now slashor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bobobo World
    Posts
    3,551
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In February, Mattel announced a wave of Batman Unlimited 6" figures schedule for fall: vampire batman, Damian Wayne Robin (these effectively being pitched on account of BBATB appearances, although sculpted to resemble the comic book versions) and two toon-style figures based off BtB- Batman and Anarky. I don't even think there were sculpts shown of those. BtB Bats did get unveiled a month or so later, then came the big bad toy store preorder that only had the batman figures. DW Robin would eventually be revealed as a DC subscription figure until that didn't make its production minimum, so it will be sold later in 2014 on mattycollector. I don't know how far Anarky was but I think they moved things towards a scale change not long after toyfair, toyfair 2014 will provide answers, possibly even that the hiatus may have been to hold off until there were toys. I know BtB has sold well even without my help because I've seen stores with leftover vampire batman figures from the same wave. This wave as shown/pitched at this past toyfair was Mattel's attempt to keep the dcuc 6" line afloat. But that scale and the sort of detailing it contained, is increasingly expensive and retail is shying away from it. I think it's getting to the point where 6" action figures either have to be more toon/preschool-styled (very curious how total heroes does) or don't show up many places besides toys r us and online.

  20. #140
    Coach McGuirk is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordesman View Post
    In February, Mattel announced a wave of Batman Unlimited 6" figures schedule for fall: vampire batman, Damian Wayne Robin (these effectively being pitched on account of BBATB appearances, although sculpted to resemble the comic book versions) and two toon-style figures based off BtB- Batman and Anarky. I don't even think there were sculpts shown of those. BtB Bats did get unveiled a month or so later, then came the big bad toy store preorder that only had the batman figures. DW Robin would eventually be revealed as a DC subscription figure until that didn't make its production minimum, so it will be sold later in 2014 on mattycollector. I don't know how far Anarky was but I think they moved things towards a scale change not long after toyfair, toyfair 2014 will provide answers, possibly even that the hiatus may have been to hold off until there were toys. I know BtB has sold well even without my help because I've seen stores with leftover vampire batman figures from the same wave. This wave as shown/pitched at this past toyfair was Mattel's attempt to keep the dcuc 6" line afloat. But that scale and the sort of detailing it contained, is increasingly expensive and retail is shying away from it. I think it's getting to the point where 6" action figures either have to be more toon/preschool-styled (very curious how total heroes does) or don't show up many places besides toys r us and online.
    BTB was the first instance I can recall of a new Batman series (or movie) being released without a toyline. Usually the toy shelves are packed beforehand. Because of the streamlined look of the show, the characters would have translated very well to action figure form. Was it poor planning on Mattel's part, or did no one care enough? It seems like a mess, because there's WB, CN, and Mattel, so it's hard to always tell who it is that doesn't seem to like the show, though it seems safe to say that CN is the biggest culprit.

    Hordesman, you're right about the state of action figures, and I think Mattel already knows it. They have the cheaper line of Batman figures now, which you can tell are for the kids, while the more detailed figures are disappearing from shelves and are easier to find online. I've never seen any figures from this last wave of Batman Unlimited in any store. All they have are the kid line and leftovers from Dark Knight Rises. But when you do find any of the more detailed figures, the prices are so high, and you know that parents aren't gonna want to pay $15 bucks or more for a toy their kid will be roughing up anyways. It makes sense to have two different demographics for these properties: Kids and collectors.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO