toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Arrow :D View Post
    That would be awful. I really liked B:TAS, but I would hate it if they exploited it like they're doing with The Simpsons and Spongeboy Squarepants.
    Nobody said the shows should last 15+ years.

I'm talking about a healthy 7 season run.

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Arrow :D View Post
    That would be awful. I really liked B:TAS, but I would hate it if they exploited it like they're doing with The Simpsons and Spongeboy Squarepants. Moreover, I liked The Batman almost as much as the DCAU shows. (And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one)
    The Simpsons and Spongebob are more like sitcoms. You're not going to get the same sort of rebranding there. And yeah, I have found things I liked in all the batman shows over the years too.

Silverstar is online now Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I'm talking about a healthy 7 season run.
    I don't know if I'd be on board with that, as a 7 season run being "healthy" for a show is the exception, not the norm. Most shows start to get stale after about 3 or 4 seasons. The 26 to 52 to 65 episode commitment has never really bothered me, 'cause those are decent round numbers and that's about as long as most shows stay fresh. Besides, most producers, directors and writers usually start wanting to stretch their chops and do something else after about 4 seasons or so. It wouldn't really be fair to lock a team onto a show for 7 seasons if their desire isn't there just because a handful of fans don't want to let it go. All shows end at some point; I don't really see the point of keeping a show going just for the sake of it. I'd rather see a show end while it's still good than have it linger on and gradually become tired.

If there's still high fan demand after 4 seasons, then maybe the team could produce the occasional TV special or DTV after the show in question ends. That way the fans get more without the show wearing out its' welcome and the producers still get to spread their wings and only have to come back to the show occasionally.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 10-10-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

magicdog is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think 2-3 seasons is more than enough for a quality series. Batman incarnations included. I grew up in an era when some shows had at most 13 original episodes which comprised of a single season! Today, to see shows like Batman getting as many as 52 eps and a two season run only shows how far animated programming has come.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with everyone else that it might not be a good idea to have a Batman TV series run for too long because it could become stale over time like the Simpsons and Family Guy and that could hurt the franchise in the long run since fans would be tired of seeing the same things over and over again. It's probably best to have a Batman TV series that could run at least 5 to 6 seasons so that way, the show won't go stale and it would allow an opportunity to try out new things for Batman's character.

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicdog View Post
    I think 2-3 seasons is more than enough for a quality series. Batman incarnations included. I grew up in an era when some shows had at most 13 original episodes which comprised of a single season! Today, to see shows like Batman getting as many as 52 eps and a two season run only shows how far animated programming has come.
    It seems reversed to me. Back in the day they used to do a lot of episodes in bulk. BTAS had an initial order of 65 episodes for example. Then again they didn't seem to have seasons like they have them now. It seems more structured now.

mrbean1500 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think most of us can agree that 46 episodes for young justice wasn't enough

Jave is online now So Smashing... In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    It seems reversed to me. Back in the day they used to do a lot of episodes in bulk. BTAS had an initial order of 65 episodes for example. Then again they didn't seem to have seasons like they have them now. It seems more structured now.
    I think he's referring to the 60s/70s/80s decades where, despite being a handful of shows that lasted several years, most cartoons didn't go past the 20-30 episode count. These were the years where Hanna-Barbera would make a series out of pretty much anything.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you guys know how many villains there are in the Batman rogues gallery? Or the fact that there's 70+ years of Batman comics and past TV incarnations to draw inspiration from?

A Batman cartoon can never get stale because there's SO MUCH material. Why do you think Nightwing and Tim Drake hardly get any screentime in both TNBA and Young Justice? Because the shows were canceled in the seasons they debuted

What about any of the other Robins? Or other Batgirls? Or stuff happening in the New 52?

Batman can go on for 200 episodes and not get stale.

Jave is online now So Smashing... In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not going to pretend that I know much of the Batman comics, but haven't they go through several reboots and series themselves? Sure, there's tons of material to draw from, but I'm not sure how much of that material could fit a single animated series. Even the main Batman comic series has gone through several changes in tone through the decades.

I think someone more knowledgeable on this should chip in.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast