toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

CyberCubed is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has anyone else forgotten the amount of cheesy one-liners from Batman in B:TAS?

Like This Thread!

I've been rewatching B:TAS again and what I notice the most now is how many cheesy one-liners Batman had in the B:TAS episodes. People tend to forget that this series had rather campy dialogue from Batman early on and the comebacks he'd make to villains after he tied them up or knocked them down.

Also Batman actually smiles a lot to villains in B:TAS, almost like he's having fun. There was one episode where Batman had the guy hanging upside down from the rooftop and Batman was literally smiling at him while he was in fear. Batman was literally cracking smiles in various episodes after knocking down villains.

I don't know if this was because this is an old 90's show or what, but B:TAS was hardly free of cheesy and campy lines like people believe when their rose-tinted glasses are on.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I honestly believe that nostalgia has made B:TAS seem much better than it actually is.

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There was a few cheesy one liners, especially in the older episodes.

Compared to what came before it though... I don't think there is a case of rose tinted spectacles, after all these years Batman: The Animated Series is still the best cartoon DC has ever done, in my opinion.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I find it funny when some people attack Brave and the bold for Cheesy one liners (Not here other sites) and say that Batman TAS was so much better. People do tend to block out or forget the cheese in Batman TAS, it does have some. Sure Batman himself only as a few but there are some groan worthy ones even in great episodes, most of the one liners are said by the villains.

Seriously I was talking about Brave and the bold with someone on another site, someone who hated the show for being to silly and I told him to check out "Chill of the Night" He came back saying he did not like it and it still had too many cheesy one liners. I knew then it was time to just leave as I could not get though to him.

Cheese is not bad it just has to be done right. Everything can be done right and wrong, it's the execution that matters.

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    B:TAS definitely had a tendency to embrace silliness/camp sometimes - look at "Harlequinade", but then again that's an excellent episode and a testament to the show's ability to get the 'camp' right when they embraced it.

There was some bad dialogue in episodes like "Christmas With the Joker", for sure. Not many instances of cheese are springing to mind though. I know Batman did try to rub the villains' noses in it, sometimes coming across as a bit gloating too with the way he would smile. Not sure if Batman showing an amused side every now and then really qualifies as camp though.

I do think there were moments of lacklustre dialogue which were saved by the voice-acting, art work, music etc. that was also vying for the viewer's attention. But is it really a case of wearing rose-tinted glasses if you're more readily appreciative of those qualities than you are prepared to home in on the dialogue alone? A few dodgy lines can potentially be (relatively) meaningless if everything else is rock solid, although obviously the series isn't perfect.

Maybe the cheese was largely handled in an agreeable way for most B:TAS fans. For some people it might be easier to swallow than the in-your-face cheese of the overtly zany/campy Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and there's nothing wrong with that. Tastes differ.

I'm with Stu, anyway. I still find it the most enjoyable DC cartoon. I guess we can't all agree, but I think it had more style and substance than its successors.
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keep in mind I'm not complaining about the cheesy lines, I actually don't mind that kind of stuff. B:TAS WAS a kids cartoon after all, and a lot of people forget that.

I also think some of the Joker episodes are intentionally campy and cartoony, like, "Joker's Wild," where all the Arkham inmates are watching TV and yell at Joker, "We were watching THAT!" And Joker is literally gloating....hahaha.

Also a lot of Robin's dialogue is quite painful early on. He's swinging in the air yelling, "Yahoo!" and, "Let's kick butt!" like he's the Teen Titan Robin.

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Also a lot of Robin's dialogue is quite painful early on. He's swinging in the air yelling, "Yahoo!" and, "Let's kick butt!" like he's the Teen Titan Robin.
    I don't mind Robin being talky and joking even in a darker tone show. He should be a more light hearted character. Still they were still trying to crack him and they didn't really feel comfortable with using Robin until later. I don't remember the "kick butt" line but I do remember the equally bad "They don't call you BATman for nothing!"....yea.

I actually like Batman having sort of a dry sense of humor that only he would probably find funny. Makes him more human and I tolerate it more than Miller speak he gets saddled with. Luckily he never really did much of that in these shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An example of a pun from Batman was during the second Catwoman episode where Dagget's men were injecting the dogs/cats with a virus that would infect Gotham.

When Batman knocks the two henchmen out he says, "Its off to the pound for you!"

Haha. There are other times Batman makes some kind of joke like that. He also laughs in the "Joker's Favor" episode when Charlie throws the fake bomb at Joker and it turns out to be a gag. Batman actually laughs while Joker is cowering behind him.

I miss Batman cracking jokes. They stopped doing it entirely when TNBA started.

reflection is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    BTAS had a good balance in tone. I rewatched the entire series several years ago and I found the episodes as enjoyable as I remembered them. I've seen each episode a minimum of five times. Most more. It's just good. Is every ep good? No. The body of work is good.

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Forgotten the camp? Hell no, I sure haven't. The camp is part of what I LIKE about the show. This shouldn't be so difficult to understand. Brave and the Bold went crazy with that and it was awesome. This can be valid.

I don't like BTAS because I have some vision of it as nothing but a hard-boiled, super serious, grim crime drama (though many of the best episodes are indeed more serious). BTAS had many different sorts of episodes and did them all quite well. And I for one like that the show could get a bit lighter at times, it'd be a heavy downer if every episode were about tragedies and Bruce brooding on his dead parents and such.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Toddman is offline Hulk not good with words.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Time for a little Bat-Magic!"

Is there really supposed to be that big of a difference between the teenage Robin in BTAS and the teenage Robin in TT? The Robin in BTAS even did his own Batman impression in "Night of the Ninja"... "Thanks for saving my bacon, Robin!"

Toddman

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddman View Post
    "Time for a little Bat-Magic!"
    That quote was from "Be a Clown", wasn't it? Funny how Batman was sort of psyching himself up to go after the Joker with that line.
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [
    Is there really supposed to be that big of a difference between the teenage Robin in BTAS and the teenage Robin in TT? The Robin in BTAS even did his own Batman impression in "Night of the Ninja"... "Thanks for saving my bacon, Robin!"

an
    The Robin in B:TAS was in College, we see him there several times. He looked to be in his early 20's in B:TAS. The Robin in Teen Titans was probably around 14-15 years old.

I think the problem was Robin's personality in B:TAS felt like a teenager, even though he was a College kid at the time. We also see Robin playing videogames (Riddler episode), or just plain acting like Batman's kid sidekick even though he's an adult at the time.

Also in episodes like, "The Cape and Cowel Conspiracy" Batman saying, "I am going to WEAR THEM!" as he plays the guy for a fool was great. Batman used to toy with his villains a lot too. He even sends the guy his cape and cowel when he's locked up in prison as a joke.

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    College kids often act like teenagers, not to mention that many of them are. When I was in college, I saw students pranking and getting stupid drunk, or worse, like many of the kids I knew in high school. And I know back then video games weren't "cool" like they are now for adults to be playing, but in college a lot of students were gamers. This was 1997-2001, BTW.

I wonder if the issue was that they originally wanted an older Robin because sidekicks are ridiculous, and having pint-sized sidekicks takes it to another level of absurd, but they wanted to maintain Robin's playfulness, and thus we were stuck with a character with that kind of disconnect for viewers.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toddman
    I'd say so, Robin in Teen Titans was actually more serious than the Robin in BTAS.

Toddman is offline Hulk not good with words.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Robin in B:TAS was in College, we see him there several times. He looked to be in his early 20's in B:TAS. The Robin in Teen Titans was probably around 14-15 years old.
    I think at the beginning of BTAS (and in particular during "Robin's Reckoning" which you quoted above) Robin is around 18-19 (he stated he had waited "half his life" to get even w/Tony Zucco). I'd guess he wasn't specifically meant to be 21 until "Sub-Zero" (when he's seen purchasing what is most likely alcohol at a night club). In the flashback sequence during "Old Wounds" he's probably supposed to be right at 22, the age most people are after four years of college.

And I'd say the Robin in TT was at least 16 (he drove a car right?). Besides his character showed much more maturity and intelligence on most occasions than real world 14-16 year-olds anyway.

(unlike this awesome guy):

Toddman