toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - Beware the Batman "Family"

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll

4 33.33%
  • ****1/2

5 41.67%

2 16.67%
  • ***1/2

1 8.33%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
    James Harvey is online now Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beware The Batman "Family" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

An all-new episode of Beware The Batman debuts today at 10:00am (ET/PT) as part of the DC Nation programming block on Cartoon Network!

Click here for more details on this episode!

Beware The Batman
    September 7th, 2013 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#07 Family"

With the League of Assassins knowing where the SoulTaker Sword is, but unable to get Katana to return it, they decide their only course of action is to kidnap Bruce Wayne and hold him for ransom - that ransom being the sword. Of course, they don't realize that Bruce Wayne is actually Batman! When Katana shows up to turn over the sword and rescue Wayne, Alfred causes a diversion, allowing Wayne to don the Batman suit and join the battle. Teaming with Katana to end the League, Batman finds himself in an all-out ninja fight that ends with a startling revelation.

Comments?

Beware The Batman "Family" Talkback (Spoilers)-btb_s01_07_credits.jpg

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy crap, what happened to Ravencroft will provide nightmares.

"Welcome to the family." Foreboding words for fans of the Bat-series.

Lerkero is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not really sure why the flash-forward at the beginning was necessary. Writers just trying to mix it up I guess.

I should have suspected that Bruce knew about Dr. Ravencroft. There was no buildup to Bruce wanting a relationship and he was way too open to having one with her despite his second job as Batman.

I was also expecting more buildup to Dr. Sorrow's betrayal, but I guess the writers didn't feel the need to emphasize it. For future reference: If someone is seriously trying to coerce you to do something you have no interest in, it might be a ninja trap.

Overall I still like that the action has improved, but the past couple episodes have had too many close shots where the bodies doing the action can't be seen in full. I would think the the cg models of the characters still look good in full view so why are the producers zooming so close? I don't want to just see a foot hitting a face, I want to see where said foot comes from. The purpose of cg animation is to make it easier for a scene to be produced and re-produced, not tougher. It's not like they are hand-drawing and need to save time.

Another good thing is how balanced the action is. Batman hasn't overpowered his opponents and his opponents haven't overpowered him. I enjoy action a lot more when it is not one-sided.

Static is offline I put a shock to your system!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the way everything is coming together. The story doesn't pander to the audience and always includes a few genuinely surprising moments. The biggest one here was with Dr. Ravencroft's fate, which goes to show that BtB isn't messing around. The ending was perfect as well... such a great final line.

My only real complaint continues to be with the ninjas. I know it's a cartoon, but come on, they're never portrayed as a real threat. Batman and Katana take them down way too easily, and I think the ninjas landed maybe two punches. At this point, they're basically just henchmen with swords.

To end on an unnecessarily pervy note: anyone else notice while the camera panned up on Lady Shiva's body that her breasts slightly jiggled? I like how this show doesn't even know that it's a Saturday morning cartoon. Keep it up!

Richie: Yo, Virgil! Don't let your history with him (Hotstreak) get in the way. You're not just Virgil anymore. You're Static. Remember that.
    Static: I'll keep it in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't like Lady Shiva's design, I liked the design if it was for Talia(which is what I originally thought when they showed the villains of the show), but I don't think it's right for Lady Shiva. Eh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't care for this take on the Soultaker sword. What's wrong with keeping it a 14th Century katana? You know, the blade that Katana takes her name from?
    "One can only adore the internet and the opportunity it has proffered to that unignorable segment of the vox populi that
    has the acumen of a breath mint but until the web, was blissfully denied a global voice."
    - Harlan Ellison, July 23, 2013

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Ugh" was what I thought when I realized it was an in media res opening. But the lure of it is instant action at the start of the episode.

Love the balance of drama, action, and humor with each episode. From Tatsu to yelling at her game to back seat martial arts fighting. Tatu's and Batman's "Glove saws?" - "Acid capsules. But good idea." Cracked me up. Nice nod to the comics. Also, even though Ravencroft was a plant, still a brutal way to go even though she's technically not dead.

Bruce brought up an intriguing question - does the Argus Club control the League of Assassins or the other way around? Made me wonder if the Argus Club is a Skull and Bones-type secret society that runs parallel to the League and they are both organizations founded and led by Ra's but for different purposes.

I think that place they mentioned was Tsuruta in northern Japan? Idk, sometimes closed captioning fails me.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku-sempai View Post
    I don't care for this take on the Soultaker sword. What's wrong with keeping it a 14th Century katana? You know, the blade that Katana takes her name from?
    I've wondered myself why they kept the soul taking part but designed it as a jade Chinese broad sword.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 21, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

reflection is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Disappointed by the lack of comments for a good episode.

I didn't care for the opening either. I understand the logic though. The episode flowed well without it and we got to the action soon enough. The pacing was good, probably the best so far. I liked the introduction of Lady Shiva and the balance of the fight. I like that her departure came across as she could have tried to defeat them, but there was no need to risk losing what she came for, the sword.

I'm curious how the family aspect will work out. Coming into the series, I just assumed Katana would be aged down similar to BatB and fulfill a Robin-type role. Now there is plenty of opportunity for a love interest to develop.

I'm guessing the sword was designed as a jade Chinese broad sword to distinguish it from the katanas the ninjas wield, especially since the sword was not intended to stay in Katana's hands. Not what I would have chosen, but I understand.

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is now my all-time favorite episode of the series so far! Plenty of plots were addressed and resolved, while finally opening up the general premise of the show with Batman and Katana fighting crime.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    I'm curious how the family aspect will work out. Coming into the series, I just assumed Katana would be aged down similar to BatB and fulfill a Robin-type role. Now there is plenty of opportunity for a love interest to develop.
    I honestly hope they don't go that route. Having the main characters of opposite genders fall in love is a cliche I'm not fond of. Not to mention it would feel weird with Alfred as a father-figure to both of them. Also, I kinda want to see some of Bruce's interests that have not been animated yet, like Silver St. Cloud and Julie Madison. I don't even think Vicky Vale had much to do in her few animated appearances.

EDIT: One thing that wasn't clear to me. ARGUS sent an invitation to Bruce before Tatsu even moved in to Wayne Manor in the premiere. Was this an honest attempt to recruit him? Or were they plotting to do something with him that was unrelated to the Soultaker Sword?
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post
    EDIT: One thing that wasn't clear to me. ARGUS sent an invitation to Bruce before Tatsu even moved in to Wayne Manor in the premiere. Was this an honest attempt to recruit him? Or were they plotting to do something with him that was unrelated to the Soultaker Sword?
    Yeah, seems like at first they were simply interested in recruiting him then it became two birds with one stone then screw it get the sword.

EDIT: Considering the connection between the club and the league. Maybe Argus in in reference to Ra's al Ghul's birthplace in BTB canon, Argus, Iran?
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 21, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Yeah, seems like at first they were simply interested in recruiting him then it became two birds with one stone then screw it get the sword.

EDIT: Considering the connection between the club and the league. Maybe Argus in in reference to Ra's al Ghul's birthplace in BTB canon, Argus, Iran?
    Ooh, that's a cool bit of trivia there. There was also the theory that it was a modified version of "Argos", the all-seeing creature of Greek mythology.

Though I'll admit, I was expecting the club to be related to Anarky, considering the Argus emblem looks like a formal version of the anarchist symbol. I hope Anarky becomes more of a presence if he is supposed to be the main villain of the season, since he is being overshadowed by Shiva and Ra's right now.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode, probably best so far. A lot of things came together here, and while I think they may've missed a beat by not showing when Bruce became suspicious of Dr. Ravencroft, I do like how it turned out he had the whole thing planned and was a couple steps ahead of Silver Monkey. But not TOO far ahead. Tatsu was right to yell at him at the end, not everything went according to plan and just because Bruce Wayne wasn't killed doesn't mean they aren't in a bad situation (Shiva with the sword).

I did like Batman telling her she aced the tests and revealed his identity to her, that subplot didn't need to go on much longer. And Tatsu's agreeing to go along with Batman in a couple instances this episode made her already feel like his sidekick.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post

Ooh, that's a cool bit of trivia there. There was also the theory that it was a modified version of "Argos", the all-seeing creature of Greek mythology.

Though I'll admit, I was expecting the club to be related to Anarky, considering the Argus emblem looks like a formal version of the anarchist symbol. I hope Anarky becomes more of a presence if he is supposed to be the main villain of the season, since he is being overshadowed by Shiva and Ra's right now.

It still might be. That whole bit with Bethany explaining the club- maybe Anarky was someone they tried to make into one of their puppet leaders, but he escaped and the anarchy theme reflects his roots with them and rejection of their enforced order.

Neo Yi is offline The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Two things that I didn't expect: Silver Monkey to actually "kill" Bruce (given he's Batman and you're left with the assumption that they wouldn't pull the trigger) and Lady Shiva using the sword on Ravencroft (when I was expecting Batman to escape in time to save her.) I'm glad they went past the usual expectations. I didn't care much for the In Media Res opening either, but overall, "Family" is a fantastic episode.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another really good episode. Like others have said, there were a few surprising moments (Like Ravencroft getting her soul sucked out). Oh, and Shiva is awesome.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Dragonessa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bruce Wayne must have a really hard head! When he got shot by an arrow and then fell through glass windows onto I assume must be concrete pavement, he still survived without a scratch. That must have been one hell of a drop and yet no bones broken or skull cracked...! Pretty predictable that he would not die, otherwise the series would end there and then but getting up just like that after falling through glass windows onto a pavement..wow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another excellent episode.

Great serial story telling, animation, music and voice acting. What more could you want?

Lady Shiva was a pleasant surprise. Finola Hughes was amazing in the role.
    Michelle Pfeiffer:
    Cool Rider, Catwoman, Diamond and all round Goddess
    http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad xx

reflection is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonessa View Post
    Bruce Wayne must have a really hard head! When he got shot by an arrow and then fell through glass windows onto I assume must be concrete pavement, he still survived without a scratch. That must have been one hell of a drop and yet no bones broken or skull cracked...! Pretty predictable that he would not die, otherwise the series would end there and then but getting up just like that after falling through glass windows onto a pavement..wow!
    He was wearing a body armor in anticipation of going to the Argus Club.

Best explanation I can find. It should have been a lingering injury at least.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought that this episode was pretty good. The opening was a bit jarring though, almost making me wonder if I skipped an episode, but I guess that they just wanted to shake things up. Even though it probably was so that he could get closer to Ravencroft given that he was suspicious of her from the start, it seemed a bit much for Bruce to fire Alfred as a part of his plan. That bothered me a bit throughout the episode. Despite that, the fights were good and Lady Shiva using the sword on Ravencroft was a pretty big surprise. I figured that Batman would come out to save her just in time, but they probably wanted to showcase how the sword works. I figured that he would tell Tatsu about his secret at some point and the reveal at the end was effective. Overall, it was a pretty solid episode.

Gravitea is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wonderful episode.

It felt as if the previous episodes lead up to this one. Tatsu finally discovered that Batman and Bruce are the same man. I didn't expect Dr. Ravencroft to actually have her soul stolen by the Soultaker Sword.
    From one choice, a universe is created...