Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    the greenman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    Just to be a pain , would you say that BTAS made Bruce Wayne interesting or STAS made Clark Kent interesting? I'd say "not really" in both cases, mostly because in both cases, the alter egos were only used for plot twists or complications. I can't think of anything off the top of my head where the alter egos were really important in either series (beyond the usual "I can't change into my working clothes because there's other people around"). If a Wonder Woman show goes the alter ego route, I'd just say that they need to make Diana Prince only as interesting as BTAS made Bruce or STAS made Clark. It'd be nice if they did make her an interesting personality in itself, but I'd really be in the show for Wonder Woman, not Diana Prince. I'd also say you could ditch the alter ego with Wonder Woman fairly easily and still make it work, and I'd probably prefer that approach over the usual secret identity tropes.
    I'll agree with you on Clark Kent (with the exception of The Late Mr. Kent), they still did a good job on him. I have to disagree with you on Bruce Wayne, if anything the series explored Bruce Wayne better than any film or tv series before. Getting into his psyche, and showing you without showing you heavy handedly why he became Batman. I remember a scene where he was wearing the costume and he took a phone call and altered his voice to talk as Bruce then going back into Batman. That's something that made me laugh but, when you thought about it, this guy is crazy. They built great relationships with Harvey Dent, Selina Kyle, and Talia Al Ghul. They even introduced me to Matches Malone. Not to mention the relationship with a fairly fleshed out Alfred. I love BTAS Bruce.

reflection is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    Funny you brought this, there's a documentary about female superheroes coming out soon. I had mentioned somewhere on these boards about them doing WW like Captain America. Show her WW2 exploits and have her disappear back to the island only to return to our modern time in a vastly different world. Women have a lot more power than 50 years ago. I want to see her rogues gallery fleshed out abit more. Some of it needs some tlc like how Timm updated the Batman rogues. I know dr. Cyber and another doctor, but she needs someone on the scale of Darkseid. I'd put Queen Bee up there too, but maybe at Ra's Al Ghul level. I would also concentrate on Diana more so, have her train to be a martial artist and lose her powers.Toss in some interaction with Supergirl, Powergirl, Zatanna, the Birds of Prey and maybe even Mary Marvel.
    Debuted tonight on PBS. Very good. No animation unfortunately, which is very sad because they kept talking about how Wonder Woman should be portrayed and the JL/JLU version was exactly what they were talking about. Wonder Woman was a lead-in to a discussion of the feminist movement in the 70s, masculine action movie backlash of the 80s, strong women in 90s, and then plenty about Buffy.

It's pretty clear that aside from the comic book dudes and experts and a adorable 4th grade girl, few of the people in the film have had any exposure to Wonder Woman outside of clips of Lynda Carter in the 70s TV show if that. Despite Wonder Woman's legacy in media, people know much more about the strong female characters she's spawned than Wonder Woman herself. They talk about the lack of a live action film but man, they missed out by not talking about Wonder Woman in animation.

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post

Debuted tonight on PBS. Very good. No animation unfortunately, which is very sad because they kept talking about how Wonder Woman should be portrayed and the JL/JLU version was exactly what they were talking about. Wonder Woman was a lead-in to a discussion of the feminist movement in the 70s, masculine action movie backlash of the 80s, strong women in 90s, and then plenty about Buffy.

It's pretty clear that aside from the comic book dudes and experts and a adorable 4th grade girl, few of the people in the film have had any exposure to Wonder Woman outside of clips of Lynda Carter in the 70s TV show if that. Despite Wonder Woman's legacy in media, people know much more about the strong female characters she's spawned than Wonder Woman herself. They talk about the lack of a live action film but man, they missed out by not talking about Wonder Woman in animation.
    Part of it is Wonder Woman occupies a similar role to Betty Boop- regularly licensed, recognizable to the wider public but few of them know her source material. But in terms of this film, I feel it didn't use examples as clearly as they could. To convey how she has been downplayed, things like her being the secretary to the jsa and how she was introduced in the original Jla- all her (male) teammates fighting crime and such, while she's on a park bench explaining to Steve Trevor why she can't marry him.

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB21:-) View Post

Poseidon- God of the Ocean- disapproves of Man's World's handling of the 7 seas (how much does Poseidon have to do with Aquaman and Atlantis? I can't believe there's not more of a connection between Paradise Island and Atlantis).

Aquaman- King Of The Seas- ends up working with Wonder Woman against the Greek Gods quite a bit. Why not have a bit of a ship tease between them? AM is a big enough name that he can guest star without over shadowing WW. He could be in a quadrangle with Mera/Diana/Steve.

Captain Marvel & Mary Marvel- having gotten at least some of their powers from the Greek pantheon means they could guest star and yet not over shadow WW.

If she does lose her powers, it could be time for another Paradise Island tournament to see who takes over the tiara of Wonder Woman with Nubia, Donna Troy, etc going at it again while Diana has to retrain and learn to do without.

We wouldn't see WW kill in WW:TAS, but she wouldn't be opposed to it and certainly threatens villains with it. I don't think we've ever truly gotten a good episode or movie about WW, Bats, and Supes and how they differ in the way they handle crime fighting.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE these ideas.
    Especially the Aquaman guest starr, ship-tease, love-triangle stuff.
    It's a great idea.
    I'd watch the heck out of this show if it got made!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234