toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Liu View Post
    Legend of Korra was a massive ratings success, which is no doubt one reason why Nick renewed it for 3 more seasons. On top of that, last year saw Katniss Everdeen conquer the box office as an action hero, alongside Snow White and the Huntsman and Merida in Brave. Last year was the year of the female action hero, and all those dollar signs that those 3 movies produced plus the success of Korra should be all the justification anybody should need to do another one. But old habits die hard and I don't expect the average executive to take the lesson if they don't want to.
    I had no idea they were continuing it beyond the 14 more episodes they initially ordered. You just made my day.

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    If my three year old niece's singing unicorn toy is anything to go by, it's toddlers.
    Like most people, you're basing your assumptions on YOU and your sphere of influence. I know women with good jobs who are into that show. Besides that there's another factor we are forgetting about, the Brony/ Glee/ Lambert factor ,to say it politely.

Not that corporations or Studios will gear deliberately to that demographic, it exists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All The World Is Waiting For You, And The Power You Possess

In any event, incorporating the gods into the show as Bonnie suggests above might make for a good season(s)-long conflict, with the only real issue being the paganism that might be unpalatable to TV network execs. There's a reason why most of the "gods" who show up in superhero comics are always couched as extremely powerful beings that were worshipped by earlier humans who didn't know better, and in a world where Superman, Apokalips, the Green Lantern Corps, and War World exist, that's a perfectly rational explanation for them.

The gods would wax poetic endlessly about the good old days and how the Greek/Roman civilization was renowned for its philosophy, art, culture, style, architecture. etc. And how 2,000 years ago when polytheism fell out of fashion the known world went into the Dark Ages. They truly believe they can make the world a better place. Of course each god has their own ideas about how to do this and they all contradict.

As for the problem of what CN/TV executives might think of putting other "gods" before thee. Well, if we refer to the gods wanting temples and shrines and not churches and their followers belonging to cults it might be able to squeak by.

I can totally live without the cannibalism angle, but the misogyny? Why not? He's the bad guy. I'm OK with him being a massive negative role model, and his brand of domination (vs. William Moulton Marston's concepts of submission built into Wonder Woman from the start) fits nicely with the idea that he's a misogynist as well. The other stuff you're talking about works, too, but I'm totally OK with making Dr. Psycho one of those guys you just love to hate.
    The only problem with that is we'd have a villain telling the target audience how inferior, weak, helpless, stupid they are and how they need a big, strong, smart, superior man to take care of them. While the intention is to show how obviously bad and wrong he is- the message would get lost.

As for the rest, as I said -- I'd rather leave as many of the other DC heroes out of the picture as possible, at least initially. Wonder Woman is interesting enough on her own that she doesn't need them. If there is to be shipping going on, I think the Steve Trevor/Etta Candy/Wonder Woman triangle is complicated enough without throwing Aquaman in there. If you're going to do anything else, I'd throw in the Department of Meta-Human Affairs and add in Amanda Waller, Sarge Steel, and Thomas Tresser/Nemesis for that.

This does mean that your proposed episode about Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman comparisons also falls by the wayside, but I'm not sure that a TV show is the best place for that.

The second season could have Superman and Batman. The first can have mentions of Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent and millionaire philanthropist Bruce Wayne. I have no problems with Clark Kent and/or Bruce Wayne appearing in the first season as their civilian IDs before coming in the second as their superhero IDs.

...assuming there's a Paradise Island to have a tournament on. (Cue dramatic music!)

I'm ready to bump up Nubia to anti-heroine co-star. Especially after doing a little research.

Nubia- Hippolyta's first try at a clay baby, kidnapped and raised by Ares. She's the older sister of Diana and Donna. Doesn't know that she's really an Amazon works with Ares' twin sons Phobos and Deimos. When she finds out she was kidnapped, she rejects Ares and is welcomed home with open arms. Yet, Ares is playing the long game. He wants Nubia in place on Paradise Island so when Diana loses/renounces her powers for love, she can win the Paradise Island Tournament and the tiara/title of Wonder Woman. While Diana might have issues with being the gods' prophet- Nubia being raised by them would have a harder time saying no. What complicates matters more is that she lacks the diplomacy that Diana has being raised a princess. So when she arrives in Man's World "Wonder Woman" has to win over the world all over again. Donna Troy is still resentful at both Diana leaving and her losing the tournament, but at Hippolyta's urging assists Nubia as Wonder Girl.

Donna Troy/Wonder Girl- Miss. Multiple Choice Past, could have a lot of fun doing "Cutie Mark Crusaders" type episodes with her and Robin, Kid Flash, and Speedy. Or Super Best Friends Forever with Supergirl and Batgirl. If WW is off doing "X" with Steve Trevor, with the Teen Titans is where she'll be.

______________- male reporter who's always trying to get the scoop on Wonder Woman. If Superman can have Lois Lane and Batman can have Vicki Vale, it's past time Wonder Woman had her own nosy reporter- not necessarily trying to date her, but someone's got to cover her exploits.

Starvard College and the Beeta Lambda sorority also have potential for stories.

Baroness Paula Von Gunther- eastern block European femme fatale who works with Giganta and Cheetah.

Juan1193- anime Wonder Woman is awesome and would do well in the foreign markets. It needs more hot bioshonen males to sell though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think the villain factor is an issue. All you have to do is make them strong as all get out with interesting personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by the greenman View Post
    Like most people, you're basing your assumptions on YOU and your sphere of influence.
    That hadn't escaped me.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

ganon51 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    Whether people find her villains as interesting as those two would be up to the hypothetical creative team's work. Superman's villains on paper I would say are about on par with WW rogue gallery. What do you mean about your comment about the movie. A lot of people really liked that movie and it's usually on the tops for people's list of the DC movie line. What didn't you like about it?
    Well on the Wonder Woman design thread, everyone disliked the 2009 movie and it's designs, I actually liked the movie though, the only things I didn't like about it were how warmonger-like the amazons were portrayed.

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB21:-) View Post
    The only problem with that is we'd have a villain telling the target audience how inferior, weak, helpless, stupid they are and how they need a big, strong, smart, superior man to take care of them. While the intention is to show how obviously bad and wrong he is- the message would get lost.
    Sorry, but I don't buy this, especially when the rest of the show would be all about Wonder Woman (and the rest of the Amazons, to say nothing of Etta Candy or any other female character) showing by example how obviously bad and wrong he is. I would have no issues with turning Dr. Psycho into an utterly reprehensible, mustache-twirling villain with no redeeming features. He is not Magneto, and not even Lex Luthor (whose position about Superman has some merit, even if his actions are completely unsupportable and unwarranted). If a girl could watch Wonder Woman and a misogynist Dr. Psycho and take away the lesson that Dr. Psycho is the one who's in the right even a little bit, she should march right back to her elementary school and demand a refund for utterly failing to teach her even the slightest bit of reading/visual comprehension.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancyarcher View Post
    Sorry a Wonder Woman cartoon isn’t happening anytime soon. Unless she’s getting her own movie, there’s no chance in hell she’ll have a cartoon.
    They used to say the same thing about Thor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One thing I would like to see them do on a Wonder Woman series is make Diana Prince interesting. I'd like to see her be a a more serious version of Lisa Lemon on 30 Rock, and have a more emtional vacant attitude not naive like JL/JLU. The thing is she should be using Steve Trevor and Etta Candy as her guides through humanity much like Jimmy and Lois was on Adventures of Superman back in the 50's. I'd like to see her working for the government like something akin to what we saw on The West Wing, and maybe have Amanda Waller also be a regular or somewhat rival. I'd like to see Etta be African American like she is in the new comics.

More than anything, Diana she be exploring humanity's ways in Man's World, and balance it with her crime fighting with folks like Cheetah, Giganta, and Circe. I think Circe should be like her Q from Star Trek Next Generation, she comes in every once in awhile to test Diana to see how she's doing in the real world. In my mind, I'd love to see a series that starts off in WW2, having a poster of Rosie the Riveter blow on the shores of the mystically hidden (like Avalon) Paradise Island. Diana as a teen goes to Man's World to get involved and fight with the Allied Forces, but first she is just a young teen (19), yr old secretary for the JSA and her mentor is Black Canary. She secretly becomes Wonder Woman and fights in WW2. After the war, the JSA disbands, and Diana returns to Paradise Island until modern times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I think a WW show, I think she'd be better served in a full on alternate universe not based on any modern DC universe. Something more akin to Xena/Hercules, set in a fictional-ancient Greece where they're free to use the mythology part of her origin without trying to tie it to the modern world and giving the show it's own identity right off the bat. There's no questions of 'where's superman and batman' they might not even exist, but they can myth-ify other characters, heros and vilains as the show needs them. The setting would let Wondy be every bit the warrior woman we know her to be, and still have her be a hero, it's hard to justify hero's killig people in cartoons but you can behead hydras and other monsters.
    Last edited by Darkwing 626; 02-20-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Ed Liu is offline Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    One thing I would like to see them do on a Wonder Woman series is make Diana Prince interesting. I'd like to see her be a a more serious version of Lisa Lemon on 30 Rock, and have a more emtional vacant attitude not naive like JL/JLU. The thing is she should be using Steve Trevor and Etta Candy as her guides through humanity much like Jimmy and Lois was on Adventures of Superman back in the 50's. I'd like to see her working for the government like something akin to what we saw on The West Wing, and maybe have Amanda Waller also be a regular or somewhat rival. I'd like to see Etta be African American like she is in the new comics.
    Just to be a pain , would you say that BTAS made Bruce Wayne interesting or STAS made Clark Kent interesting? I'd say "not really" in both cases, mostly because in both cases, the alter egos were only used for plot twists or complications. I can't think of anything off the top of my head where the alter egos were really important in either series (beyond the usual "I can't change into my working clothes because there's other people around"). If a Wonder Woman show goes the alter ego route, I'd just say that they need to make Diana Prince only as interesting as BTAS made Bruce or STAS made Clark. It'd be nice if they did make her an interesting personality in itself, but I'd really be in the show for Wonder Woman, not Diana Prince. I'd also say you could ditch the alter ego with Wonder Woman fairly easily and still make it work, and I'd probably prefer that approach over the usual secret identity tropes.

The pop culture parallel I'd draw would also be to Kiera Cameron in the new series Continuum on SyFy, She's a time traveler from 2077 getting flung back to 2012, and spends the first few episodes of the show as a fish out of water trying to figure out what the heck is going on. However, she's also presented as smart enough and adaptable enough to cover that up and look more knowledgeable than she actually is; we get to see how out of her depth she feels in more personal, intimate scenes, but it's kind of fun watching her tapdancing as fast as she can to cover up a gaffe or something that someone from this time period should have known. There's also an interesting but subtle progression as the first few episodes have worn on as she gets more comfortable in 2012 and starts acting differently than her future self. I think that'd be an interesting template to use for an early Diana in Man's World, shifting her to the Liz Lemon/30 Rock analogy as she gets more comfortable.

The Greg Rucka run on the comics also had her running the Themysciran embassy in America in addition to being a superhero, and added a very West Wing-like supporting cast of embassy employees. Rucka's first issue was the first day of one of her new employees, and I loved it for the mix of down-to-earth trivialities he has to deal with mixed in with the crazy stuff WW just lives with like the embassy's minotaur chef and a drop-in by Superman which leads to one of my favorite moments in the issue. The post Infinite Crisis soft reboot re-created the Diana Prince alter ego and made her an agent for the Dept. of Meta-Human Affairs. I think you could do either one to get to the "working for the government" angle you're talking about, and either could add in any of WW's supporting cast as you like. I suddenly very much like the idea of Etta Candy (regardless of skin color) being WW's chief of staff at the embassy, dealing with a million and one crises in a day ranging from the trivial to the universe-threatening and using chocolate as her relief drug of choice instead of coffee or booze or cigarettes. And she's the only one who can talk back to Wonder Woman in ways nobody else can really quite manage (which is another element I'm lifting pretty wholly from Gail Simone's take on Etta).

>sigh<. It's a shame that the odds of seeing any of this on TV any time soon are so low...
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just to be a pain , would you say that BTAS made Bruce Wayne interesting or STAS made Clark Kent interesting? I'd say "not really" in both cases, mostly because in both cases, the alter egos were only used for plot twists or complications. I can't think of anything off the top of my head where the alter egos were really important in either series (beyond the usual "I can't change into my working clothes because there's other people around"). If a Wonder Woman show goes the alter ego route, I'd just say that they need to make Diana Prince only as interesting as BTAS made Bruce or STAS made Clark. It'd be nice if they did make her an interesting personality in itself, but I'd really be in the show for Wonder Woman, not Diana Prince. I'd also say you could ditch the alter ego with Wonder Woman fairly easily and still make it work, and I'd probably prefer that approach over the usual secret identity tropes.
    I'll agree with you on Clark Kent (with the exception of The Late Mr. Kent), they still did a good job on him. I have to disagree with you on Bruce Wayne, if anything the series explored Bruce Wayne better than any film or tv series before. Getting into his psyche, and showing you without showing you heavy handedly why he became Batman. I remember a scene where he was wearing the costume and he took a phone call and altered his voice to talk as Bruce then going back into Batman. That's something that made me laugh but, when you thought about it, this guy is crazy. They built great relationships with Harvey Dent, Selina Kyle, and Talia Al Ghul. They even introduced me to Matches Malone. Not to mention the relationship with a fairly fleshed out Alfred. I love BTAS Bruce.

reflection is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Funny you brought this, there's a documentary about female superheroes coming out soon. I had mentioned somewhere on these boards about them doing WW like Captain America. Show her WW2 exploits and have her disappear back to the island only to return to our modern time in a vastly different world. Women have a lot more power than 50 years ago. I want to see her rogues gallery fleshed out abit more. Some of it needs some tlc like how Timm updated the Batman rogues. I know dr. Cyber and another doctor, but she needs someone on the scale of Darkseid. I'd put Queen Bee up there too, but maybe at Ra's Al Ghul level. I would also concentrate on Diana more so, have her train to be a martial artist and lose her powers.Toss in some interaction with Supergirl, Powergirl, Zatanna, the Birds of Prey and maybe even Mary Marvel.
    Debuted tonight on PBS. Very good. No animation unfortunately, which is very sad because they kept talking about how Wonder Woman should be portrayed and the JL/JLU version was exactly what they were talking about. Wonder Woman was a lead-in to a discussion of the feminist movement in the 70s, masculine action movie backlash of the 80s, strong women in 90s, and then plenty about Buffy.

It's pretty clear that aside from the comic book dudes and experts and a adorable 4th grade girl, few of the people in the film have had any exposure to Wonder Woman outside of clips of Lynda Carter in the 70s TV show if that. Despite Wonder Woman's legacy in media, people know much more about the strong female characters she's spawned than Wonder Woman herself. They talk about the lack of a live action film but man, they missed out by not talking about Wonder Woman in animation.

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post

Debuted tonight on PBS. Very good. No animation unfortunately, which is very sad because they kept talking about how Wonder Woman should be portrayed and the JL/JLU version was exactly what they were talking about. Wonder Woman was a lead-in to a discussion of the feminist movement in the 70s, masculine action movie backlash of the 80s, strong women in 90s, and then plenty about Buffy.

It's pretty clear that aside from the comic book dudes and experts and a adorable 4th grade girl, few of the people in the film have had any exposure to Wonder Woman outside of clips of Lynda Carter in the 70s TV show if that. Despite Wonder Woman's legacy in media, people know much more about the strong female characters she's spawned than Wonder Woman herself. They talk about the lack of a live action film but man, they missed out by not talking about Wonder Woman in animation.
    Part of it is Wonder Woman occupies a similar role to Betty Boop- regularly licensed, recognizable to the wider public but few of them know her source material. But in terms of this film, I feel it didn't use examples as clearly as they could. To convey how she has been downplayed, things like her being the secretary to the jsa and how she was introduced in the original Jla- all her (male) teammates fighting crime and such, while she's on a park bench explaining to Steve Trevor why she can't marry him.

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB21:-) View Post

Poseidon- God of the Ocean- disapproves of Man's World's handling of the 7 seas (how much does Poseidon have to do with Aquaman and Atlantis? I can't believe there's not more of a connection between Paradise Island and Atlantis).

Aquaman- King Of The Seas- ends up working with Wonder Woman against the Greek Gods quite a bit. Why not have a bit of a ship tease between them? AM is a big enough name that he can guest star without over shadowing WW. He could be in a quadrangle with Mera/Diana/Steve.

Captain Marvel & Mary Marvel- having gotten at least some of their powers from the Greek pantheon means they could guest star and yet not over shadow WW.

If she does lose her powers, it could be time for another Paradise Island tournament to see who takes over the tiara of Wonder Woman with Nubia, Donna Troy, etc going at it again while Diana has to retrain and learn to do without.

We wouldn't see WW kill in WW:TAS, but she wouldn't be opposed to it and certainly threatens villains with it. I don't think we've ever truly gotten a good episode or movie about WW, Bats, and Supes and how they differ in the way they handle crime fighting.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE these ideas.
    Especially the Aquaman guest starr, ship-tease, love-triangle stuff.
    It's a great idea.
    I'd watch the heck out of this show if it got made!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2