toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two" Animated Feature

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll

7 31.82%
  • ****1/2

9 40.91%

2 9.09%
  • ***1/2

2 9.09%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

1 4.55%
  • 1/2

1 4.55%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    For me inner monologues are fine in comics( sometimes they are a little too much ) but a lot more of a challenge to do and do well in film( it can be done just a lot of times they aren't ). I don't mind that they cut it here but they can be really helpful on a page.

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I actually think Miller's caption boxes/inner monologue are a lift from prose rather than comics. They're his throwback to old-time pulp fiction because they're not written as normal comic book thought balloons. Comics is a print medium, so I always thought his innovation was an interesting way to mix the strengths of prose into the form of comics to gain benefits from both. The only one who mixed prose and comics better was Dave Sim in Jaka's Story, where he really exploits the past-tense nature of most prose writing vs. the present-tense nature of comics (and, it should be pointed out, of film, which becomes important in a minute).

As I pointed out in my review of the first film, the problem with turning Miller's caption boxes into voice over in movies is that they become the equivalent of badly used thought balloons in comic books -- overly expository and betraying a lack of trust that the story points you need to communicate can be carried by the language of film. I think that's been a major stumbling point for every other Frank Miller filmed adaptation to date (even Batman: Year One, which was the best of them before now IMO).

I think this is the also root behind the loss in texture and depth in the movie vs. the book (and in moving from prose to film in general) -- you can go into a lot of more depth in prose without losing the audience the way you will if you stop a movie dead to have someone expound on their line of thinking or comment on the meaning behind events. Prose can essentially freeze time at will -- someone can take pages to talk you through a thought process you whip through in microseconds in real life and it'll work if it's written well enough. Prose is usually past-tense. Trying to do the same in film directly means everything else has to stop so you can talk talk talk about stuff, and that's death for a film. Film is happening in front of you, so it's fundamentally present-tense. You lose way too much momentum if you leave in lines like, "Why do you think I wear a target on my chest?" or even "20 million die by fire if I am weak," as much as I like both of those lines in the book.

The fun part is how comics can control your perception of time in a different way than straight prose through the use of panel shape and size and other tricks. Read Miller's work again and pay attention to how he uses panel sizes to make you slow down at key moments, vs. the bigger panels that will make things read faster. He's one of the best in the biz at doing that, and in a very specific way to evoke an emotional response. You have to go to Will Eisner or Osamu Tezuka for someone comparable.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Franny is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Shipped, shipped, SHIPPED!!! . Also treating myself to All-Star Superman. Held off on that as I'm not a big fan of the source material, but I get a feeling that the condensed adaptation' might work better for me. Strange as everyone3 reckons it should had been given the same treatment as TDKR.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoryStar View Post
    Well I guess we all have our own likes because like I said the inner monologues are some of my favorite parts of the story because it allowed us to get into each of the characters heads and learn what they were thinking...
    Oh, don't mind me. I was just using your post to bounce off of as you reminded me of the subject. I'd have probably been a bit more direct if I meant to be.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

r0derix is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed this. It felt a bit more disjointed than the first, which had a more straightforward narrative, but the story, action, characters were all very strong. I think my only negative would be how much Batman fought the police in this movie, where it almost seemed he fought them a lot more than was really necessary (specifically fighting them on the rooftop when the Joker was on the talkshow). Other than that it was very good, and I am thoroughly glad they made this a two parter. Combining the two movies, it stands probably third in my DTV rankings behind only Under the Red Hood and All Star Superman.

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r0derix View Post
    I really enjoyed this. It felt a bit more disjointed than the first, which had a more straightforward narrative, but the story, action, characters were all very strong.
    Even though I think Part 2 was better than Part 1 but I wouldn't disagree with this comment.
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

VladDraculi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My god this was incredible. Everything that deal with the Joker in the amusement park was down right incredible. The music fit the mood extremely well. The voice acting was top notch. I just loved watching him just shoot everyone in site when he was in the Tunnel of Love. This was great. I also loved how much Bruce told Clark off throughout the movie. The line, "Oh, who do they send after you?" is just awesome. My only complaint is that Bruce does not even mention Alfred's death at all in the end.

With that said, these movies combined are now my favorite DTV and Unbound is not even going to be remotely half as good as this. Also, it makes me want to reread the original comic as I was not that big of a fan of it. I'm not sure why, but the art style and the politics got in the way for me. I mean, it felt like it took 5 minutes just to complete a page when I read it back in 2005.

So my favorites go:

The Dark Knight Returns (combined)
    The Spectre
    Jonah Hex
    Green Lantern First Flight
    Wonder Woman
    Under the Red Hood

My worst remains All-Star Superman and Superman vs Doomsday. Those two are just down right awful movies.

Franny is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got it at last!!!!!

Santino is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know if they plan to release a combo of Part 1 and Part 2 anytime soon?
    http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=191391P01
    Buy comic books at mycomicshop.com!

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santino View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know if they plan to release a combo of Part 1 and Part 2 anytime soon?
    I recall someone asked last year, New York Comic Con I believe, and it was said it was possible. It's somewhere in the TDKR news and discussion thread. But who knows, if sales for both parts hit some sort of milestone, we might just see one.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 13, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast