toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Srebak is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Different directions that DCAU could have gone...

Like This Thread!

I'm not sure how to say this, so i'll just come out and say it.

As we all know, DC Comics is not against using the classic cliche of alternate universes and timelines. To coin a statement from Owlman from CO2E "There is a universe where we made a decision and another one where we didn't".

So, say that there was something about DCAU that you didn't like, is it plausible that, in someway, there was an alternate timeline where such a thing didn't happen?

For example:

What if there was a timeline where Tim Drake didn't stop being Robin?

What if there was a timeline where Hawkgirl wasn't apart of the Thanagarian invasion or wasn't considered a traitor by her people?

What if Batman hadn't closed off all ties to those around him?

Just a thought

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    I'm not sure how to say this, so i'll just come out and say it.

As we all know, DC Comics is not against using the classic cliche of alternate universes and timelines. To coin a statement from Owlman from CO2E "There is a universe where we made a decision and another one where we didn't".

So, say that there was something about DCAU that you didn't like, is it plausible that, in someway, there was an alternate timeline where such a thing didn't happen?

For example:

What if there was a timeline where Tim Drake didn't stop being Robin?

What if there was a timeline where Hawkgirl wasn't apart of the Thanagarian invasion or wasn't considered a traitor by her people?

What if Batman hadn't closed off all ties to those around him?

Just a thought
    I would've liked if Anarky had appeared outside of a single issue of the animated comic

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well not necessarily the same thing but I thought they got quite a few things wrong in JLU.

I really do hate the whole Batgod stuff, having Tim Drake have Bruce's DNA was a poor move in my opinion.

Also with the whole Cadmus story arc I was really hoping we'd get Superboy and I think that could've been a really interesting story point and you could have ditched some horrible episodes like Hawk & Dove etc.

Also I think they really should have done the CO2E's as part of Justice League.

Season 3 would have also been set in the Beyond universe for me.
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

Yojimbo is online now R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
    I really do hate the whole Batgod stuff, having Terry McGinnis have Bruce's DNA was a poor move in my opinion.
    There you go, fixed.

Also with the whole Cadmus story arc I was really hoping we'd get Superboy and I think that could've been a really interesting story point and you could have ditched some horrible episodes like Hawk & Dove etc.
    My dislike of "Hawk and Dove" was erased by the awesomeness of "Task Force X". If they substituted Superboy for Eiling in that "Patriot Act" episode in the last season, would have been better, imo.

Also I think they really should have done the CO2E's as part of Justice League.
    Would have been cool if they did that DTV.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 23, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post

I really do hate the whole Batgod stuff, having Tim Drake have Bruce's DNA was a poor move in my opinion..
    I consider that more of a metaphorical element myself- that most of the different children of the Bat are more like protégées or would-be protégées than biological offspring--that the emotional reality of Terry and Bruce's relationship had become one of son and father. The DNA connection is a way to convey it in a scifi setting

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just like the metaphor exercises in elementary English class, that's one metaphor I think should've also been not taken literally. I think the show went out of its way, to its detriment, to find ways to compliment Batman, it doesn't help when it pretty much says the only way to become like Batman is to have Batman's genes, and even then, you still won't be as good.

On the other end of the spectrum, they probably should've made an episode that actually pointed out a real Batman flaw, and not one of those fake flaws like the ones people use in job interviews when they're asked what their biggest weakness is, e.g. "I'm too self-critical," or "I over-analyze things," etc., when in reality they're just patting themselves on the back. Superman had homicidal rage against Darkseid, and ended up losing touch with the people he tried to protect. Wonder Woman had serious anger management issues, and was too pious and man-hating. Flash was all the way on the left-hand side of the JL IQ bell curve. Martian Manhunter twice took his ball and went home when he couldn't handle the stress. Etc. What was Batman's character flaw, that he didn't have super powers (not like it mattered most of the time)? Like with the job interview fake answers, I think Batman's supposed flaws that they showed were actually just the opposite end of a double-edged sword, instead of an actual problem that hurts the team like the problems we saw with the other team members, thus making it a "fake" flaw.

I think Bat-god gets exaggerated, but this is an aspect of the character I don't think they managed very well.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatHairyDeal View Post
    Just like the metaphor exercises in elementary English class, that's one metaphor I think should've also been not taken literally. I think the show went out of its way, to its detriment, to find ways to compliment Batman, it doesn't help when it pretty much says the only way to become like Batman is to have Batman's genes, and even then, you still won't be as good.

On the other end of the spectrum, they probably should've made an episode that actually pointed out a real Batman flaw, and not one of those fake flaws like the ones people use in job interviews when they're asked what their biggest weakness is, e.g. "I'm too self-critical," or "I over-analyze things," etc., when in reality they're just patting themselves on the back. Superman had homicidal rage against Darkseid, and ended up losing touch with the people he tried to protect. Wonder Woman had serious anger management issues, and was too pious and man-hating. Flash was all the way on the left-hand side of the JL IQ bell curve. Martian Manhunter twice took his ball and went home when he couldn't handle the stress. Etc. What was Batman's character flaw, that he didn't have super powers (not like it mattered most of the time)? Like with the job interview fake answers, I think Batman's supposed flaws that they showed were actually just the opposite end of a double-edged sword, instead of an actual problem that hurts the team like the problems we saw with the other team members, thus making it a "fake" flaw.

I think Bat-god gets exaggerated, but this is an aspect of the character I don't think they managed very well.
    Well, we know how his story ends more or less in the dcau. I think in many ways he ended up the most effective and inhuman of the team. http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogsp...first.html?m=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    While I like what JLU did with John Stewart, we know there was a timeline where Hal Jordan existed cause he pops up. I would have liked to see all the Earth GLs in an ep. Even if it had to be some crossover Earths one where everybody teams up to save the universe. Maybe John is "our" Earth's GL and Hal shows up with a Superfriends style JLA and Guy with a 90s group.

I also was hoping that after cloning Supergirl in to Galetea they would create a Superboy. They had Bizzaro be a clone of Superman in StAS so it would have been a natural extension.
    I actually tried my hand at fanart once, the idea being to make this Superboy work for JLU:

I figured after the JLA would rescue the clone, he'd cobble together an outfit using extra Flash pants, Superman shirt and Batman boots.

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    There you go, fixed.

My dislike of "Hawk and Dove" was erased by the awesomeness of "Task Force X". If they substituted Superboy for Eiling in that "Patriot Act" episode in the last season, would have been better, imo.

Would have been cool if they did that DTV.
    Thanks I have no idea why I put Tim Drake

that would have definitely made for a better episode in Patriot Act.

definitely, I mean they could've done it anyway and just had the nice artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    While I like what JLU did with John Stewart, we know there was a timeline where Hal Jordan existed cause he pops up. I would have liked to see all the Earth GLs in an ep. Even if it had to be some crossover Earths one where everybody teams up to save the universe. Maybe John is "our" Earth's GL and Hal shows up with a Superfriends style JLA and Guy with a 90s group.

I also was hoping that after cloning Supergirl in to Galetea they would create a Superboy. They had Bizzaro be a clone of Superman in StAS so it would have been a natural extension.
    I actually tried my hand at fanart once, the idea being to make this Superboy work for JLU:

I figured after the JLA would rescue the clone, he'd cobble together an outfit using extra Flash pants, Superman shirt and Batman boots.
    That would've rocked
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)