toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Site Plans for The World's Finest in 2013 (aka "Farewell, The World's Finest")

Like This Thread!

To be blunt and upfront about it, The World’s Finest is slated to close its doors come Spring 2013. I fully expect the site to become a resource archive no later than April 2013. All current sections of the site will remain updated on a semi-regular basis, but daily news updates and new subsites will cease. This falls along with the Marvel Animation Age announcement made just two weeks ago.

To provide a little context, The World’s Finest has simply become too big for just one person to handle. While I do get help from users here, with reviews and the occasional editorial or update, the vast majority of the work squarely falls on my shoulders to keep the site constantly updated on a near-daily basis. While I’m sure you all understand how large of an undertaking it is, I can assure you it’s more than you imagine. To keep things rolling behind the scenes, the front page consistently fresh, and deal with the host of different contacts and personnel behind the assorted shows, movies, and books? It’s a lot. It’s physically and mentally draining. It’s work. And frankly, it’s not something I’m able to keep up with anymore. Keep in mind, I work on this site in my spare time - I volunteer my own time to this - and that time is dwindling at an alarming rate. And, if I want to continue to branch out in other avenues of my work, I will have to decide just how to spend the little free time I do have now.

Basically, I just don’t have the adequate manpower or capacity to do this anymore. So, I came to the decision last week that once Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice wrap up their current seasons, The World's Finest will morph into a resource site. That being said, if new episodes of either (or both) series air in the fall, their respective subsites will be updated accordingly. However, there will be no regular front page updates. New comic details will still be added, ditto with DVD updates, etc., to the subsites and overall site, but on a more relaxed and realistic level.

But there is more, too. I’m ready to take a back seat and become a fan again. It’ll be an adjustment, one that I know goes against nearly every fibre of my being - not wanting to peak behind the curtain – but after 15 years I’m ready. I want to experience these great shows, comics and movies a little differently now. And, I’ll admit, I’m excited at the prospect of it.

I am sure plenty of you are upset about this, and that’s understandable. And by all means, complain all you want. However, this site is simply becoming too taxing. This site has been around for 15 years and, for the most part, remains the biggest DC Animation resource online. And that won’t change. Everything you see on the site right now will stay. And new stuff will be added to the current sections housed here, guaranteed. The site won’t be abandoned and left to rot. I won’t allow that to happen.

That being said, there will be no subsites added for Beware The Batman, Teen Titans Go!, Superman: Unbound, etc.. Only current subsites on the site will be updated from here on in.

If you’re worried about there being a sudden drought in news, I highly recommend keeping an eye on DCAUResource, Nick and More, and Toonzone. These are all fantastic sites that are overflowing with every last bit of DC animation news you could ever want, plus so much more. Seriously, bookmark these sites right now. And from time to time, I expect to contribute to these aforementioned destinations, be it with reviews, news, or interviews. I’m not going to stop what I’m doing, just shift my focus a little.

I know all of that sounds depressing and upsetting, I get it. This wasn’t an easy decision to make, but it's also not the end. If you want to keep the site going, then ... help me out.

I would like to extend an invitation. In an effort to keep the site running as it does right now, I am more than willing to hand over the reins of the site to someone who is serious about keeping the site going. Obviously I would help show said person the ropes and such, but this is something I am willing to consider. Be warned, this is no easy task. There is a lot of work and plenty of people to deal with on a near-daily basis. Not to sugarcoat it, this would not be easy. But if someone wants to keep the site working as it does right now, then please send me a message or email be – bbeyond[at]yahoo.com – and talk to me. This would take serious dedication and a major investment in time. The integrity of the site would have to be maintained and strictly followed. So, if you’re not serious or can’t commit, don’t bother sending a message. If you think you can, drop me a line and let me know how.

Naturally, there will be more talk in the future about the future of this site and this forum (don’t worry, it’s not going anywhere and it will continue on as is), but for now, I felt the users here deserved a little update. There will be more details coming early next year. This isn’t the end, folks ...

Update: This likely will not happen until Fall 2013 at the earliest now.

Dusty is offline Superman.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First off thanks so much for all the amazing work and effort you have poured into WF, it is my go to place for anything DCAU and more related. I am simply amazed at how well made and professional that site is, along with looking cool and fun too. Anyways thanks for everything again Jim, I wish you all the best with any new avenues you may pursue. And I look forward to seeing you post your comments on new episodes of shows, (and me agreeing or disagreeing with said future comments) seriously though, thanks again, you did a top notch super spectacular job. I wish I could take over the reigns for WF... but I can't even rely on myself to remember when to eat, lol. So good luck to whomever may take over. But Jim again kudos to you, you are a great guy, thanks for all the fun-awesome-sauce-can-of-coolness that is WF!

D.
    "Good and Great things in life are rarely ever easy... but they are worth it."

Medinnus is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am a long-time lover of the WF site, and have spent many pleasurable hours reading about the minutae of the series I love, and previewing series I have not yet seen. You have my gratitude for your many years of work!

Wonderwall is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whoa you were in high school when you started this?! Unreal

Errm..I mean so long to the original site that brought me here in the first place. Obviously a lot of work went into WF and it helped me appreciate the shows I loved( and even the ones I was slow to warm up to ) and guide me on the career path I've chosen in a some ways. Obviously big things are happening for you in your life James( and with any luck same will be said of me too ) so it's totally cool that you chose to step away from all the crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sad news, but I can understand how overwhelming it must be keeping TWF up-to-date. You've done a terrific job here, Jim, and you will be missed.
    "One can only adore the internet and the opportunity it has proffered to that unignorable segment of the vox populi that
    has the acumen of a breath mint but until the web, was blissfully denied a global voice."
    - Harlan Ellison, July 23, 2013

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, James. Sad to see it go, but totally understandable. And I appreciate and commend all your hard work both at World's Finest and here at ToonZone.

James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just to reassure folks, I'm not going anywhere. The site will just be becoming more of a resource site as opposed to the current status as a daily news source.

r0derix is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of the biggest kickstarter's to my love of cartoons was when I discovered World's Finest trying to look up information on Justice League, which led to me rediscovering the whole DCAU, which led to me discovering Toon Zone, which led to me being here today. For that, and all the work you have done, I am grateful James. The site is so well done, so thorough and in depth, and such a joy to read for hours and hours. Thanks for everything, and hope you still hang around on the forums.

ShadowStar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You've done such a great job on The World's Finest over the years that no-one could blame you for stepping down, James. I don't think the creators of the DCAU and the other various DC cartoons could ask for a better tribute site. Hearing about the intensity of the workload makes me feel bad for bothering you with lots of questions. Thanks for all your patience while running the site and for all your hard work on covering the best animated series' out there!
    "Are you the dreamer or merely part of someone's dream?" - The Mad Hatter.
    B:TAS - Perchance to Dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be very sad to see this site transition into the archives. I've recently been doing a DCAU marathon and I'm literally pouring over each and every subsite for the reviews, screenshots interviews and more. The hard work is more than evident, it's astounding. It's a real shame it has to come to an end.

On the other hand... It does feel like things are winding down in a weird way. Maybe it's because I'm in my early 20's now but it feels right.

Thank you James, and all the others, who worked so hard on this site for the fans and something that Timm and Co. could genuinely be proud of.
    Michelle Pfeiffer:
    Cool Rider, Catwoman, Diamond and all round Goddess
    http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad xx

Crow is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    James, simply, thank you.

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Harvey View Post
    It’s a lot. It’s physically and mentally draining. It’s work. And frankly, it’s not something I’m able to keep up with anymore. Keep in mind, I work on this site in my spare time - I volunteer my own time to this - and that time is dwindling at an alarming rate. And, if I want to continue to branch out in other avenues of my work, I will have to decide just how to spend the little free time I do have now.
    I can relate and empathize with this. It doesn't get easier with time, unfortunately.

But there is more, too. I’m ready to take a back seat and become a fan again. It’ll be an adjustment, one that I know goes against nearly every fibre of my being - not wanting to peak behind the curtain – but after 15 years I’m ready. I want to experience these great shows, comics and movies a little differently now. And, I’ll admit, I’m excited at the prospect of it.
    It will interesting to see less bold orange text and more commentary from you. But happy to hear you'll still be around here and not moving to Aruba to live out your life in sand and martinis.

If you’re worried about there being a sudden drought in news, I highly recommend keeping an eye on DCAUResource, Nick and More, and Toonzone. These are all fantastic sites that are overflowing with every last bit of DC animation news you could ever want, plus so much more. Seriously, bookmark these sites right now. And from time to time, I expect to contribute to these aforementioned destinations, be it with reviews, news, or interviews. I’m not going to stop what I’m doing, just shift my focus a little.
    Thank you for the recommendation, James. You, Bird Boy, and Karkull were the three who inspired me to start the DCAU Resource. I still remember when I first went to World's Finest to find out more about this new show called Justice League that I saw part of an episode of on Cartoon Network and sort of liked.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 24, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Peter Paltridge is online now Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Y'know the big problem? Sites like this leave, but other sites don't replace them. I really don't want TZ to decay.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Y'know the big problem? Sites like this leave, but other sites don't replace them. I really don't want TZ to decay.
    It's not leaving come Spring 2013 - James will still be working on it but there just won't be daily news articles.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 24, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I want to thank you for all the work you did on World's Finest, it's been a great site to visit over the years and already is a great resource.

I hope you enjoy the time you get, and maybe more of a chance to join in the forum discussions with your fellow fans

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was discovering The World's Finest in 2004 for episode reviews of The Batman that lead me to Toon Zone in the first place. I'm not the biggest DC fan in the world, but that never stopped me from pouring over WF for the past few years. I'm really going to miss it. Thank you James, thank you very, very much.

animagic1 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just saw this notice.

Wanted to say, Thanks for all the hard work! You definitely do a great job!

Bleu Unicorn is offline \(^o^)/
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, if ever there was a time to pop back in, this would be the post.

Even though I haven't really been hanging around here much over the last several years, I will certainly miss WF. However, I can't say I wasn't seeing this coming. I can attest to the astonishing amount of work WF is and my contribution was hardly a fraction of what Jim and others have put into the site. (Frankly, I'm still traumatized by the revamp and that was like ten years ago.)

Anyway, thanks for everything, Jim! Especially since it's through WF that I've met some of the most amazing and awesome friends of my life. \o/
    — Cyndy Otty —
    http://gentlewit.com

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

wind is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for creating the best DC animated site there is and for updating it for so long. It will be missed but your real life should come first. Thanks again and best of luck.

Leradomi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    first of all thank you for the work you put into it

second of all would you be willing to have help with it?
    I'm on disability and am home all day, I am "learning" about websites as my husband creates them all the time and good ones too.
    Just wondering. I apprecate what you do and would hate to see it...gone or changed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
  2. 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM
  3. 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
  4. 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM
  5. 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
  6. 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM
  7. 12-21-2012, 06:24 PM
  8. 12-15-2012, 09:35 PM
  9. 12-15-2012, 01:40 AM
  10. 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM