Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part One" Feature

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll

6 33.33%
  • ****1/2

6 33.33%

4 22.22%
  • ***1/2

1 5.56%

0 0%
  • **1/2

0 0%

1 5.56%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VladDraculi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I enjoyed this a lot, but it was not the best. That honor still goes to First Flight. It was really good though, far better than the comic (which honestly, I never liked that much, the news reports got really annoying and distracting after a few pages). BTW, did anyone notice the comics on the rack of the convenience store? There was Crisis on Infinite Earths, Saga of the Swamp Thing, The Watchmen, and New Teen Titans.

Donomark is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekPowers View Post
    Well, sadly, I gotta say this movie was nothing to talk about. Yet another forgettable, and kinda pointless film by the DC Universe team. I'm sorry, but I don't see the point in just translating the comic beat for beat, especially if you're not even gonna attempt to match the art style. This film felt lazy, as it was very contingent on you knowing the source material. They didn't bother to really develop anyone, to give any indication of much backstory, it just felt like point A to point B until the alloted time ran out. There didn't seem to be any soul or emotion behind any of it. Rather disappointing, especially considering how great the comic was. They may have lazily not strayed much from the comic, but they were unsuccessful in capturing ANY of the comic's tension, emotion, drama, texture, or feel.

I think the segment in TNBA episode "Legends of the Dark Knight" more captured the spirit and tone of the comics than this feature length movie did. That felt inspired, this felt like they were on autopilot. Like I said, they could have at least attempted to capture the art style, which could have been interesting and allowed for some inspired art direction, but instead we get this pseudo-anime, generic looking, forgettable film that really doesn't do the comic justice at all. And they could have put a little more care into creating unique and interesting backgrounds...geez, this is TDKR, and that's what we get? I think a lot of these movies really have forgotten the importance of good background art, and this one is no exception (they weren't terrible, just generic, run of the mill, and uninspired).

Overall I think we've seen worse from these DTVs, and it wasn't horrible. The voice acting was pretty good, and I liked Batman's voice a lot. But overall, the film was just so forgettable and bland. I am looking forward to part 2, mainly because between the Joker fight AND the Superman fight, how bad could it be, but I'm not expecting much, especially based on part 1.
    I have to agree, this felt very uninspired in terms of bringing the comic to life, which ideally is what an adaptation should do. It's one thing to translate the story, dialogue and characters, but none of the visceral atmosphere, tension and grit of the book were anywhere near this movie. I honestly thought they took the guts out of the original work as TDKR is honestly an R-Rated Batman story and this struggled to keep within the PG-13 limits. It just doesn't work.

I thought both the voice acting and the animation let it down. Peter Weller sounds like an ideal choice for an old Batman with his monotone timbre. But it wasn't too long before it came off to me that he wasn't putting forth any enjoyment or personality with the role. The breaking point for me was when he says the line "THESE MEN ARE MINE!" as "These men. are.mine." with no zeal or feeling. You read TDKR, Batman has oodles of personality. This honestly felt like Robocop in a situation where it's completely unjustified. The same goes for the rest of the cast, although Carrie's voice actor wasn't bad in that her voice fit Carrie well I thought. She sounded like the only character in the movie awake.

The animation had nice models, but again this is Frank Miller. TNBA showed us how easy it can be to translate Miller's style into animation, why did they try and naturallyrender characters like the Mayor and the Mutant Leader? Plus, certain scenes were re-interpreted in ways that I thought missed the point. In the book, it's a big oment when we SEE Batman for the first time in that splash page. We see his hands and feet, but we're not given the moment until the tensionleading up to it breaks. In the movie, you see in full view what he does to the pimp and the Mutants, and it's no any better or more interesting. It's not about the literal action as it is the fact that he's a force of nature barely comprehendable to the people he's saving.

I dunno what the hell happened. Again, it's my opinion and from the looks of it an unpopular opinion, but I felt that this was the biggest missed opprutunity the DC DTV movies have ever made. I will say that the music was very good, most of the violence was intact (save for the Mutant Leader beating on Btman with a crowbar, that was neutered) and the decision to make it into 2 movies is a good one. But after seeing the amount of effort put into this, I don't have high hopes. I hate saying that, I did not go into it looking to say it was bad.
    You guys are gonna LOSE YOUR [bleep] - Bruce Timm on Jeremy Sisto as Batman

Wonderwall is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donomark View Post
    The animation had nice models, but again this is Frank Miller. TNBA showed us how easy it can be to translate Miller's style into animation.
    It's interesting you say that because I remember in the commentary for Legends of the Dark Knight Bruce Timm said that the overseas studio had a difficult time with the Frank Miller designs along with the Dick Sprang ones. Of course that was in the mid 90s and I think overseas studios have gotten better since. Maybe it was decided that it didn't look "feature film" enough, who knows but yea I remember being disappointed a bit that it didn't look more Miller like.

VladDraculi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Donomark, I am on a different boat than you are. I honestly never found the comic to be all that great to be honest. It was far too political, too many new reports, and not enough detective work, or even enough Batman. Plus, I hated what Miller did with Superman. On the other hand, I thought this animated movie was well done and almost makes me want to reread the comic to see if maybe I was just having an off week when I read it.

Gold Guy is offline Long-eared grinch?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I though the film was pretty good. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, and it never felt like it was being dragged out.

I will say that the female Robin annoyed me, though. She meant well, but she didn't do much (except save Batman, of course).

Batman was cool and hardcore, just as he should be. Honestly, I'd be scared to be a criminal in Gotham.

Oh, I loved the idiotic mayor. He was funny, and his death scene totally fit him.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I read The Dark Knight Returns some years back. I think it was an overall good book. There is definitely a message and when watching the film, it stood out for me. Batman's knowledge and experience vs. the Mutant Leader's youth and raw strength, for example. The theme was awesome, too! Can't wait for Part 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan McClark View Post
    I read The Dark Knight Returns some years back. I think it was an overall good book. There is definitely a message and when watching the film, it stood out for me. Batman's knowledge and experience vs. the Mutant Leader's youth and raw strength, for example. The theme was awesome, too! Can't wait for Part 2.
    Wow, that's actually pretty profound. I never realized that; I just assumed it was Miller's middle finger to the X-Men and a chance to show his version of Batman: a violet-happy psycho who steals the faces of his enemies.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thought this did an amazing job, not just as an adaptation, but as a future Batman story period. I'm glad it was able to take its time, focusing more on the mutant leader (and to a lesser extent, Two-Face) rather than the Joker, so we can see that in the next part. The cast was brilliant, and I'm really looking forward to part two.

Wow, this is like the third or fourth time Rob and Don have been animated. Crazy. 'Bout time we finally got a proper full adaptation of DKR rather than references or shorter versions.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Gravitea is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wonderful adaption of the comic. The animation is gorgeous, the music and the voice acting is wonderful.

It took me a few minutes to get used to Bruce's voice, but it grew on me. It also suited this version of Batman.

~Some thoughts~

Wow, Jim, you look as if you're Bruce's age. Looking good. (I think being so used to his design in DCAU made it look jarring)
    Joker's lips look pale. Guess he did wear lipstick.
    From one choice, a universe is created...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123