toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

iammattie is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Teen Titans "Theory"

Like This Thread!
    Hey guys, I'm kind of new here, so I hope this is the right place to post this. I've been lurking for a while, but this is my actual first post.

Anyway, I've been rewatching the DCAU lately because it was a big part of my childhood, and I know I missed tons of episodes during all the original airings, or I was too young to understand some at the time. Well, last night I got to the part of Static Shock where they start to research ways to revert Alva Jr. back from his stone form, and it got me thinking about Terra from Teen Titans.

I realize that as of now Teen Titans isn't considered DCAU canon, but what exactly is stopping it from fitting into the time period between B:TAS and TNBA when Dick left Batman and before he returned as Nightwing? I realize he was at least 18 already due to the fact he was in college so that would mean all of Teen Titans would have to had happened within a roughly two year period, which would make sense seeing as the gap between TBAS/TNBA wasn't that long.

So, operating on that train of thought, I assume Dick would leave the Titans when he became Nightwing. Thus leaving an open spot in the team for the new Robin, Tim Drake (as referenced in Static Shock). Also validating the line about Beast Boy being a Titan.

Now, to explain where I'm going with this. If the series can be retconned into that time period of the DCAU without any huge continuity goofs, we could then possibly see a DTV that everyone would want. Teen Titans/Static Shock/Nightwing.

With Terra being a stone and Alva Industries having the technology to restore her, the Titans would find a way to put the technology to use on her. Since they would be in Dakota it would make sense to bring in Static/Gear, therefore making good on Batman's word for them to meet one day. Then of course Nightwing would show up because he was good friends with Terra and would want to be there for that (which would make him a little less of a loose end in the DCAU)

Obviously there would have to be a big threat to justify the team up, and the Titans would have to be older than their original appearances since it would have to be set towards the end of SS/start of JLU, but then that could explain Speedy's aged appearance in JLU.

I guess this train of thought might not seem relevant, but with the news of revamping Teen Titans, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. So, does anyone wanna shoot holes in this and tell me what obvious problems I missed that would make it not work?

quigonkenny is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not going to happen, regardless of continuity. Reference the last TT episode. Either (most likely) the "Terra" in that episode was the real deal, however she got to that point, or she's still "stoned", but at a location unknown to the Titans (precluding the likelihood of a DTV focused on fixing her).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, its been a while since watching that far into TT. I actually may have not seen the last episode actually, but if it was her in it then wouldn't it make sense for her to have been in the movie? Or maybe in the promotional material for TT Go? Or the new shorts? And i thought the Titans were present when she was turned to stone. Why wouldn't they know where she was? Was she moved? I don't really remember.

quigonkenny is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iammattie View Post
    Hmm, its been a while since watching that far into TT. I actually may have not seen the last episode actually, but if it was her in it then wouldn't it make sense for her to have been in the movie? Or maybe in the promotional material for TT Go? Or the new shorts? And i thought the Titans were present when she was turned to stone. Why wouldn't they know where she was? Was she moved? I don't really remember.
    In the final episode, "Things Change", Beast Boy encountered a "normal" girl who was identical to and may or may not have been (but probably was) Terra. At one point he goes back to where Terra got "stoned" only to find her missing. Just go on iTunes/Hulu/Netflix/etc., and watch it. It's actually one of the better episodes of the series. Probably the best "serious" episode that wasn't entirely action-focused.

And Terra was definitely a part of the "serious" side of Teen Titans, which TT Go is largely (if not entirely) jettisoning. I haven't seen any sign of Slade in the new media, either, other than a fleeting DoomBot SladeBot cameo in last week's Red X short.

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I realize that as of now Teen Titans isn't considered DCAU canon, but what exactly is stopping it from fitting into the time period between B:TAS and TNBA when Dick left Batman and before he returned as Nightwing? I realize he was at least 18 already due to the fact he was in college so that would mean all of Teen Titans would have to had happened within a roughly two year period, which would make sense seeing as the gap between TBAS/TNBA wasn't that long.
    At the start of B:TAS, Dick Grayson is already a college sophmore, 19 years old give or take. In the story recounted in TNBA's "Old Wounds" adapted from the Lost Years miniseries comic, Dick Grayson quit being Robin before he left Gotham City and graduated from Gotham State University in his early 20s. There's no way he would put that costume on ever again. After he punched Batman, that was it. He quit. No more Robin. About two years passed before he returned to Gotham as Nightwing and was thus, 23-24 years old. In the Teen Titans show, Cyborg was the oldest in the group. As of the group's formation, he was around 16 years old so by show's end he's got to be 18-19ish with Robin being slightly younger. We know he cut ties with Gotham and went to Jump City at age 14-15-ish so there's already enough there to show the Teen Titans show is in its own continuity, not part of the DCAU (aka Timmverse).

Thus leaving an open spot in the team for the new Robin, Tim Drake (as referenced in Static Shock). Also validating the line about Beast Boy being a Titan. Now, to explain where I'm going with this.
    Because of what I said above and probably more, (I'm going off the top of my head) it is assumed a Titans group was formed in the DCAU continuity offscreen and known members were Robin/Tim Drake and Beast Boy (or Changeling since they never outright stated what codename he used I believe). This team is not the team seen in the Teen Titans show. Dick Grayson was never part of the DCAU Titans team. We can assume after the ROTJ flashback, when Drake went solo, he probably also dedicated more time to the Titans team before quitting the hero business for good.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: October 20, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info Yojimbo. I had just remembered Dick's line in B:TAS about having just started college which is where my assumption of his age came from. Completely forgot about his graduation (maybe I fell asleep during the episode since I tend to watch them late at night.) Didn't realize they had roughly established ages for the Titans though, so thanks for clearing that up. I had always wondered why the people who were for TT in the DCAU didn't try to place it between the two bat series, but i guess you gave a pretty good explanation. *sigh*

BlackoutCreature is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is the whole "Teen Titans is a prequel to the DCAU" theory. Based on the ages of Dick Greyson in his earliest Batman:TAS appearances and the flashback scenes of "Robin's Reckoning", we know Batman and Robin had been operating for several years by "On Leather Wings" with a whole bunch of earlier adventures we've never actually seen. It's always possible that Bruce and Dick had some kind of fallout during Dick's earlier Robin days (when he was about 14-15) and Bruce felt the best thing to do was get some seperation and send Dick to the West Coast (to a boarding school presumably). There Dick met the others, formed the Titans (Bruce probably funding them in some fashion, either secretly or not), then something happened causing the team to disband and Dick to return to Gotham. Throw in the whole "Teen Titans was being told from Beast Boy's perspective" to explain away the styles differences and possibly and minor continuity snarls, and it could work.

Yojimbo is offline Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info Yojimbo. I had just remembered Dick's line in B:TAS about having just started college which is where my assumption of his age came from. Completely forgot about his graduation (maybe I fell asleep during the episode since I tend to watch them late at night.) Didn't realize they had roughly established ages for the Titans though, so thanks for clearing that up. I had always wondered why the people who were for TT in the DCAU didn't try to place it between the two bat series, but i guess you gave a pretty good explanation. *sigh*
    You're welcome, iammattie. I think, in general ("Cyborg's the oldest") they talked about the Titans' ages like in season three with Cyborg deciding to leave to help the Titans East. But if I remember right, the exact ages was more of a behind the scenes thing some staff talked about in interviews on a site called Titans Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutCreature View Post
    There is the whole "Teen Titans is a prequel to the DCAU" theory. Based on the ages of Dick Grayson in his earliest Batman:TAS appearances and the flashback scenes of "Robin's Reckoning", we know Batman and Robin had been operating for several years by "On Leather Wings" with a whole bunch of earlier adventures we've never actually seen. It's always possible that Bruce and Dick had some kind of fallout during Dick's earlier Robin days (when he was about 14-15) and Bruce felt the best thing to do was get some separation and send Dick to the West Coast (to a boarding school presumably). There Dick met the others, formed the Titans (Bruce probably funding them in some fashion, either secretly or not), then something happened causing the team to disband and Dick to return to Gotham. Throw in the whole "Teen Titans was being told from Beast Boy's perspective" to explain away the styles differences and possibly and minor continuity snarls, and it could work.
    True, the gap between the flashback in "Robin's Reckoning" and start of "On Leather Wings" is 9 years. I don't know about the idea these other teen heroes were around for a long time or all these aliens and other weird stuff were happening pre B:TAS, S:TAS and JL/JLU. Sorta demystifies the shows and how they organically expanded the continuity, imo. As for a possible fallout, Nightwing in TNBA and the Lost Years mini made it seem like there was only the one and it was a slow build up to it (as opposed to several smaller ones leading to this big one). In retrospect, you see it already happening in even "Robin's Reckoning."
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: October 20, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm aware of the prequel theory. (I've lurked these forums a lot) however it didn't really sit right with me that Robin would have all this experience leading a team of superheroes and then act as inexperienced as he did in B:TAS