toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Cortez2301 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A couple of questions about "Young Justice" from a newb, adult viewer.

Like This Thread!

Firstly, I am a huge fan of the DCAU, of all creative staff associated with them. I am also a fan of Greg Weisman for his work on "Gargoyles" and also the "spectacular Spiderman" series which was surprisingly brilliant!

Now, something about "Young justice" interests me, and it might just be the enormous ensemble of characters that I keep hearing about popping up throughout the series, but I am thinking about watching the show. So just a few questions:

1- Is this show, a "kid's tv for adults" kind of show? As in, is it really an all ages (or 10 years and older) kind of show that just happens to be featured under kid's tv, like the DCAU?

2- I find it hard to watch it, becuase I'm just not into Teen superheroes. I know the adult characters play a big role in the show, but is there a delicate balance so that an adult like me can appreciate it?

3- How is the writing? Is it sharp, fresh and tight? Is the dialogue dumbed down, or occassionally witty and meaningful?

Would appreciate any advice/ suggestions. Thanks in advance.

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez2301 View Post
    1- Is this show, a "kid's tv for adults" kind of show? As in, is it really an all ages (or 10 years and older) kind of show that just happens to be featured under kid's tv, like the DCAU?
    Yeah[, it is].

2- I find it hard to watch it, becuase I'm just not into Teen superheroes. I know the adult characters play a big role in the show, but is there a delicate balance so that an adult like me can appreciate it?
    No, there's not much balance, the show is focused mostly on the teens. The League is around though and their presence is felt, mostly just Batman, Red Tornado and eventually Captain Marvel though.
    3- How is the writing? Is it sharp, fresh and tight? Is the dialogue dumbed down, or occassionally witty and meaningful?
    It's definitely sharp, fresh, tight often witty and meaningful. I don't think it's dumb downed at all.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 04-29-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: three word sentence minimum even in a multi quoted post

AlgeaX is offline Oh, hello?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like all of Greg's shows it's written to be appealing on multiple levels. From colourful super-powered action scenes for the kiddies to intricate plotting and complex characterization for the grown ups.

The kids are the main focus since hey, it's their show. But grown-up Leaguers like Batman, Red Tornado, Black Canary and Zatara play important supporting roles throughout the first season. I won't spoil it but Red Tornado and Zatara each get pretty cool spotlight eps.

It's a Weisman show, need I say more?

De nada, if you're a fan of Greg's previous works then I'd definitely suggest giving it a look. It's easily up there with Gargoyles and SpecSpidey in term of quality.

Though if you can, I'd definitely recommend checking out season 1 before moving on to season 2. In many ways, season 1 is like the first act of the story, introducing us to the characters and their world. While season 2 is where the plot really starts getting crazy.
    Last edited by AlgeaX; 04-29-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Geodude is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlgeaX View Post
    But grown-up Leaguers like Batman, Red Tornado, Black Canary and Zatara play important supporting roles throughout the first season. I won't spoil it but Red Tornado and Zatara each get pretty cool spotlight eps.
    As does Captain Marvel. He has a pretty unique role in one episode in particular.

AlgeaX is offline Oh, hello?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    As does Captain Marvel. He has a pretty unique role in one episode in particular.
    Indeed, though I left him out since the OP asked specifically about "adult characters".

Cortez2301 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly, I am a huge fan of the DCAU, of all creative staff associated with them. I am also a fan of Greg Weisman for his work on "Gargoyles" and also the "spectacular Spiderman" series which was surprisingly brilliant!

Now, something about "Young justice" interests me, and it might just be the enormous ensemble of characters that I keep hearing about popping up throughout the series, but I am thinking about watching the show. So just a few questions:

Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    Yeah[, it is].

No, there's not much balance, the show is focused mostly on the teens. The League is around though and their presence is felt, mostly just Batman, Red Tornado and eventually Captain Marvel though.
    It's definitely sharp, fresh, tight often witty and meaningful. I don't think it's dumb downed at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlgeaX View Post
    Like all of Greg's shows it's written to be appealing on multiple levels. From colourful super-powered action scenes for the kiddies to intricate plotting and complex characterization for the grown ups.

The kids are the main focus since hey, it's their show. But grown-up Leaguers like Batman, Red Tornado, Black Canary and Zatara play important supporting roles throughout the first season. I won't spoil it but Red Tornado and Zatara each get pretty cool spotlight eps.

It's a Weisman show, need I say more?

De nada, if you're a fan of Greg's previous works then I'd definitely suggest giving it a look. It's easily up there with Gargoyles and SpecSpidey in term of quality.

Though if you can, I'd definitely recommend checking out season 1 before moving on to season 2. In many ways, season 1 is like the first act of the story, introducing us to the characters and their world. While season 2 is where the plot really starts getting crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post

Thank you all for the input, advice and suggestions. I a currently watching the series, and you know what, I was surprised, even though this was a Greg Weisman series. I really do like the characters and stuff, and I also appreciate the fact that all the big villains that appear to pop up later on, are heavily implied to have done battle before with the older league members.

It really is fun, and multi-layered (correct me if I'm giving it too much praise) and seems to be doing a very good job. It ain't JL(U), but hey, that set the bar way high.