toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "...In Love and War"

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll

15 53.57%
  • ****1/2

6 21.43%

4 14.29%
  • ***1/2

1 3.57%

1 3.57%
  • **1/2

1 3.57%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

A huge step up from last weeks episode but I guess last weeks episode had to happen for Kilowog to be subdued in this episode.

I don't know an awful lot about Star Saphire but I know enough, I remember a version of her on Justice League but we never knew her origins as far as I can remember. But after seeing the Carol Ferris version of her on Batman: The Brave and the Bold I understood the character abit more and she's done just aswell here (albeit briefly) on Green Lantern TAS, I also knew from the little I had read in the comics that the Star Saphhires were a group like the Green Lantern corps etc.

I was so glad that Carol found out Hal was the Green Lantern and it didn't get wiped from her mind or anything.

The animation again was incredible, its been getting better and better every week.

It was a little short on action though but thats a minor complaint, we've probably been spoiled to death on this show so far.

4.5 out of 5

So is season one 13 episodes long?
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
    So is season one 13 episodes long?
    Yes, season one is 13 episodes. The first order was for 26 episodes so two 13 episode seasons.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 16, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

The Dark Lord is offline 54985870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode! Much better than the last one!

I was actually hoping either Carol or Gi'ata joined the gang. Oh well...

Nice to see the Star Sapphires; they looked very sexy and pretty...Really hope to see more of them. =P

Frontier is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As great as it would've been for Carol to join the crew, which I expected would happen, the fact of the matter is that she runs Ferris Aircraft and it'd be bad business sense to just up and leave her company.

Gold Guy is offline I kan spel grate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked this episode. Those Star Sapphires are stronger then they look, though.

I'm glad that Hal had the willpower to resist (well, kinda) that girl.

Like someone else said, though, I kinda wish that Caroll had done more. She came, fought Hal briefly, and then left. Oh well, at least now she won't need to worry about him as much.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

JThree is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny, I thought everyone on this forum would be hating this episode. I guess I was wrong. I always get a kick out of episodes where the "male" landing party go ashore on an island/planet where it's all run by woman and there are no men. You'd think the guys would be suspicious of all the ladies being "too nice," and why no one wondered, "Hey! Where all the guys?"

I did think the writer had his work cut out for him, trying to tie in to the Star Sapphire comic book origins and its sexual politics, "Marry me! Hal, Or Else." and connecting to more modern sensibilities, and the recent purple plastic that the Sapphires encase the Lanterns in to protect them.

It would have been nice if Carol had stayed a Star Sapphire at the end.

JThree

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While Hal has been shown to be a flirt to woman it generally is just him being playful and he really is loyal to Caroll and does love her. However his flirting does get him in trouble.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally, Carol as a Star Sapphire! I'm glad they took a cue from the movie and had Carol instantly recognize Hal through his mask. Made things neater, but now I want more from her. Poor Kilowog, though, moping around like some poozer. I hate to see the big lug like that.

Looking forward to seeing what role the Sapphires are going to play in the grand scheme of things, particularly with their shared Guardian ancestry. Although, as has been mentioned, I also think it's weird all this stuff is happening in this remote part of space that's so far away from Earth and Oa because when Hal returns home, will he see any of these people again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
    And Jen Hale for a second straight week on a superhero show is always aces in my book.
    Ditto, although I think I prefer her Carol Danvers to her Carol Ferris.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Yes I found that EXTREMELY annoying. I mean the guardians went though this whole trouble of creating a super fast ship that could get to the frontier in minutes and then the starfire's show instant teleportation... honestly it just really, really bothers me.
    Well, she did once try to explain traveling faster than light in an episode of Teen Titans, but I don't think anyone could understand her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Yes, season one is 13 episodes. The first order was for 26 episodes so two 13 episode seasons.
    Any idea what that's going to look like for a DVD release?
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Any idea what that's going to look like for a DVD release?
    I dread answering your question. Ideally, 13 episodes is perfect for a complete season one set. More ideally, a Blu-Ray set. Realistically, 3 volumes then hopefully a season one DVD set

reflection is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tash View Post
    It wasn't just an excuse to get Carol into the plot. It's actually something the rings do in the comics, too.
    I don't follow the comics. I'm guessing the logic for the purple ring transportation is that whereas willpower and fear are situational and hate tears people apart, love brings people together and knows no bounds.

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice to see Carol again (Jennifer Hale for the win!). Always nice to see the Star Sapphires. Can't help wondering if Gi'ata is meant to be a stand in for Miri or if she's just a very, very obscure character from the comics I just haven't read any stories of.

Wonderwall is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ditto, although I think I prefer her Carol Danvers to her Carol Ferris.
    Yea she was good as Ms Marvel too but she got to call someone a tramp here

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    I don't follow the comics. I'm guessing the logic for the purple ring transportation is that whereas willpower and fear are situational and hate tears people apart, love brings people together and knows no bounds.
    That would be an interesting way to explain the warping.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I dread answering your question. Ideally, 13 episodes is perfect for a complete season one set. More ideally, a Blu-Ray set. Realistically, 3 volumes then hopefully a season one DVD set
    ::crosses fingers for a season one DVD set:: If ya ask me, the format The Batman and Teen Titans used is the best.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @JTMarsh

I'm pretty sure Ghia'ta was made up for the show like Razer and Aya.

Giancarlo Volpe tweeted she may be Aga'po's niece but she's also half-Maltusian...

Volpe also reports
    4.1 in our target demographic for the Star Sapphire episode! Which means boys 6-11 will watch a show about pink lanterns
    ::crosses fingers for a season one DVD set:: If ya ask me, the format The Batman and Teen Titans used is the best.
    Watch out, some folk here like slipcases. <slowly grabs spear> Even if doesn't come out on Blu-Ray, I bet the upconvert feature on a BD player would even make the show look uber slick on a HDTV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good Episode.
    Nice to see Carol transform in Star Sapphire. Although Brief she was used well.
    Wouldn't surprise me that in a future episode the Queen Zammaron tries more brainwashing
    on Carol as revenge on Hal.
    Also love the musical score for the Zammarons. Had a rather haunted-love sound to it.

beyond94 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jennifer Hale was more than brilliant as Carol and Star Sapphire. I hope we get to see more of her if the series gets a second season.

Neo Yi is online now The Great "Lord" Starscream
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Something about the pacing of this episode kind of throws me off, lest of all the ending with the Queen's niece when she claims she has much to teach and it just cuts off like it's about to go on commercial break.

Otherwise, it's the nice character moments I really like. Poor Kilowog. He left his girlfriend, but even though he misses her, he has a chance to be happy, then BAM! The Star Sapphires nab her. This will interesting to see when they meet up again and I hope they meet up again. Poor Kilowog deserves happiness. So does Razer. Dang, he was slowly starting to tolerate Aya, but now that she's essentially taken his wife's face, will their bond deteriorate? This guy goes from one big issue to another. Only Hal has a happy conclusion. I love that Carol understands what true love is and that she accepts Hal, his secret identity, and mission. I really hope she regains the Pink Lantern Ring again; it's too good of a plot not to!
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    "Dawn's breaking on Cybertron." I review Windblade #1. Spoiler-free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afalstein View Post
    By the way, did anyone else notice how Carol's hair magically got longer as a Star Sapphire?
    Yeah, I had wondered how they would reconcile their version of Carol with the classic long-haired look as Star Sapphire. Galia also grew a topknot and I don't think her people even had hair (unless it was a helmet decoration). I think the SS transformation must try to make them look more alluring and "feminine" as a part of it. Carol's hair went back to short again when she rejected the ring

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    maybe they could have waited until the show brought us back to earth.
    I don't think the show is bringing us back to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tash View Post
    It's actually something the rings do in the comics, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Yeah, the rings create a "tether" to embattled love and can teleport a Star Sapphire to it.
    You can read the page about the SS from Blackest Night #0 here:
    http://mattcbr.files.wordpress.com/2...os_dcp_032.jpg

So it stands to reason they can 'port a new recruit to home base if their love is there as part of their love-based ability. It's not like they can grab just anyone or go just anywhere. It has limits so I'm fine with the power.

Other colors can be read about:
    http://mattcbr.wordpress.com/2009/05...lackest-night/
    I don't know if that would be considered spoil-y or not, so your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    I did think the writer had his work cut out for him, trying to tie in to the Star Sapphire comic book origins and its sexual politics, "Marry me! Hal, Or Else." and connecting to more modern sensibilities, and the recent purple plastic that the Sapphires encase the Lanterns in to protect them.
    Yeah I thought they did a great job evolving the Silver Age version to the present one is just 22 minutes. Including going from possessed Carol to Carol having dominance over the Sapphire.

I don't think it would have worked without Carol as the one to do it. They could have tried with Killowog's girlfriend but that would make her more powerful than Carol and that doesn't work for canon as Carol is usually depicted as the strongest of the Sapphires.

I like that it wasn't too tied up as Giata still has to teach them, so we don't know how long it will be. It probably won't be in this 13 ep season, maybe the next 13.

Geodude is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Been slowly going through this series with my sister. Since I didn't comment on this episode the first time around, here are a couple thoughts:

-How cute was it to see Razer and Aya fighting back-to-back? I love those two. I agree with the others previously who said that Aya has turned into a fantastic character, clearly more than just a "soulless machine" as Aga'po put it. Razer makes a perfect foil for her too.

-We now know that the trip from Earth to where they were was the longest teleportation they'd ever done and had side effects, but it would've been nice to see an extra little indication of that in this episode. Maybe Aga'po straining a bit to get it done?

-And oh yeah, I could listen to Jennifer Hale's voice all day.

supergirl's pal is offline Give us a SBFF Animated Series
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved how the pink ring provides a cool costume and a hair extension!
    Jennifer Hale did a great job with Carol's voice and I liked her "I'm going to miss the boots" line when she returned the ring.

Too bad Mattel cancelled plans for an action figure line for this show. Aya and Carol (Star Sapphire and/or business suit) would have looked nice on my shelf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2