toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - The "Young Justice" Season Finale

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll

33 58.93%
  • ****1/2

16 28.57%

4 7.14%
  • ***1/2

2 3.57%

1 1.79%
  • **1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    BigFatHairyDeal is online now Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    If by not psychotic you mean they can rationalize, follow internal logic, and think coherently, then I would agree, but they're so antisocial (the real definition) that what they do is totally unacceptable at any level of human interaction.

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMarsh View Post
    I don't think Superman has enough characterization in the show for the scene with Superboy to have the impact that it should have.
    Good point, although Clark's outright telling Bruce that Superboy is not his son was a line with a lot of sting to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    The only remotely grey characters in the Light are Cheshire (who at least has a soft spot for her sister) and... actually offhand I can't think of any other Light character who has displayed anything but outright cartoonish villainy.
    Oddly enough, I see Lex as the "Nice Guy" of the Light. What would you guys say is the worst thing he's directly responsible for on the show?
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

M.O.D.O.K. is online now Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Oddly enough, I see Lex as the "Nice Guy" of the Light. What would you guys say is the worst thing he's directly responsible for on the show?
    Being a drug dealer?
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

Yojimbo is online now Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Three things come to mind:
    1. Approving the creation of the illegal clone, Match
    2. Trying to manipulate Superboy's allegiance with Shields
    3. Depending on what comes of it, uniting Rhelasia (aside from geopolitical and economic shocks to Asia)

But I will admit the lawyer line from "Usual Suspects" was rather hilarious and well placed in an action setpiece.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 26, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

quigonkenny is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good point, although Clark's outright telling Bruce that Superboy is not his son was a line with a lot of sting to it.
    I still cringe every time someone brings up the whole "Conner-as-son" discussion. "Son" is a loaded word, that carries with it a lot of connotations beyond "younger male who has half your DNA", none of which apply in this situation. The sad truth is that Conner has no true parents. Considering what we know of the method of his creation, vis-a-vis the patchwork splicing of Luthor's DNA that must have been required to make him sane and functional, you can't even say that Lex or Clark are his "biological parents" any more than Jor-el, Lara, or Lionel are, so much as they are all ultimately genetic sources.

Superman is doing a noble, altruistic thing by presenting himself as a father figure, but he was no more a "dead beat dad" before he did so than Bruce Wayne would have been had he done something else instead of going to Haly's Circus that fateful night.

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think Superman/Clark's had enough screen time in this show's universe to give you a good feel for who he is and/or what he's supposed to be. Compare the sparse cameos (some of them non-speaking) Superman has had with the steadier string of appearance's Batman/Bruce has had. Sure Batman is mostly just playing "M" here (that guy who hands out the assignments) but you still get a better idea of who he is and who/what Batman is supposed to be than Superman. That leaves Superman looking a bit empty and vacant as a character, which works against the few scenes that most would consider "signature" Superman moments (saving the bus full of kids 1978 style, the big speech to the press in Usual Suspects, etc.).

90'sCartoonMan is offline Punch Drunk Flounder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Three things come to mind:
    1. Approving the creation of the illegal clone, Match
    2. Trying to manipulate Superboy's allegiance with Shields
    3. Depending on what comes of it, uniting Rhelasia (aside from geopolitical and economic shocks to Asia)
    Playing Devil's Advocate:

1. Gray area, scientific advancement doesn't go anywhere if you play things safe, and Match isn't being used as a weapon
    2. He's helping Superboy reach his full potential
    3. Could be sinister, could be Nobel Peace Prize worthy

My point is, we could forgive anyone else for doing these things, maybe even commend them, but because it's Luthor, we're quick to judge. I don't think he's nearly as evil as Klarion or even Ra's Al Ghul.

Quote Originally Posted by M.O.D.O.K. View Post
    Being a drug dealer?
    Err...he's stimulating the economy!

Quote Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
    Superman is doing a noble, altruistic thing by presenting himself as a father figure, but he was no more a "dead beat dad" before he did so than Bruce Wayne would have been had he done something else instead of going to Haly's Circus that fateful night.
    Yeah, you need to go to Superman Returns for that. I think they were playing with the Superman is Superboy's father in biology only vs. Batman is Robin's father in all but biology contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMarsh View Post
    I don't think Superman/Clark's had enough screen time in this show's universe to give you a good feel for who he is and/or what he's supposed to be. Compare the sparse cameos (some of them non-speaking) Superman has had with the steadier string of appearance's Batman/Bruce has had. Sure Batman is mostly just playing "M" here (that guy who hands out the assignments) but you still get a better idea of who he is and who/what Batman is supposed to be than Superman. That leaves Superman looking a bit empty and vacant as a character, which works against the few scenes that most would consider "signature" Superman moments (saving the bus full of kids 1978 style, the big speech to the press in Usual Suspects, etc.).
    My biggest complaint against season one of Young Justice is the fact that Superman does, as you say, feel kind of vacant. We have too many ideas of who we think Superman is, and there's nothing really strong and defining him for this series except for the fact that he is uncomfortable around Superboy even to the point where he won't train him in the use of his powers. Taking all his actions into account over the season, he feels more like a plot device to further Superboy's story than a character in his own right.
    "And until we meet again boys and girls, know that wherever evil lurks in all its myriad forms, I'll be there with the hammers of justice to fight for decency and defend the innocent. Goodnight." - Batman

Yojimbo is online now Keep kicking, Libby! #GBII25
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Playing Devil's Advocate:

1. Gray area, scientific advancement doesn't go anywhere if you play things safe, and Match isn't being used as a weapon
    2. He's helping Superboy reach his full potential
    3. Could be sinister, could be Nobel Peace Prize worthy
    En garde, 90'sCartoonMan.
    1. For all intent and purpose he's being used as a weapon. Dress it up all you want - "method of last resort," "defensive measure" - Match is still a weapon. They ain't using him to clean up toilets at Cadmus.
    2. His full potential was to replace Superman not achieve all Kryptonian powers at the expense of mental and emotional decay
    3. Trying to unite two countries that have been separate for decades would be catastrophic as I said in terms of geo political and socio economic implication alone. Bialya and Qurac were almost reunited, who knows what criminal enterprise would be magnified if that happened. We already know shady things are happening in Bialya alone. All signs point to the Light using Rhelasia as another front for illegal activity.

My point is, we could forgive anyone else for doing these things, maybe even commend them, but because it's Luthor, we're quick to judge. I don't think he's nearly as evil as Klarion or even Ra's Al Ghul.
    There's only one good Luthor I've seen in the Multiverse and it ain't the one on Earth-16.

My biggest complaint against season one of Young Justice is the fact that Superman does, as you say, feel kind of vacant. We have too many ideas of who we think Superman is, and there's nothing really strong and defining him for this series except for the fact that he is uncomfortable around Superboy even to the point where he won't train him in the use of his powers. Taking all his actions into account over the season, he feels more like a plot device to further Superboy's story than a character in his own right.
    But the premise of the show is that the focus is on the Team not the Justice League. We'll probably never get the perspective of the League to see the full scope of season one and will be limited to a slant or incomplete view.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 26, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

AlgeaX is offline Oh, hello?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Klarion isn't evil, he's chaotic.

JTMarsh is offline Wing Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    But the premise of the show is that the focus is on the Team not the Justice League. We'll probably never get the perspective of the League to see the full scope of season one and will be limited to a slant or incomplete view.
    It's still a shameful way to treat an iconic character. I think Superman deserved better treatment than that.