toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Fear Itself"

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll

9 34.62%
  • ****1/2

3 11.54%

8 30.77%
  • ***1/2

2 7.69%

2 7.69%
  • **1/2

2 7.69%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Fear Itself" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Check out the all-new episode of Green Lantern: The Animated Series today at 10:00am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network!

Click here for more details on this episode!

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
    April 21st, 2012 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#8 Fear Itself"

With supplies running low, Hal and Kilowog search an uncharted planet for food and find themselves each stranded on different sides of the two warring species that live here. Meanwhile, Razer must recharge his power ring.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own commentary. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Blackmanba is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gave it a 5 already! The side story with Aya and Razer is not as interesting but the main story is wonderfully done. The reason behind the fight between both clans and how these people need the crystals to survive makes for good story telling.

Edit: Good, I'm glad to see they don't need the power from crystals to survive. That the tentacle aliens are the ones who need it and can't be effected by it is something that I want to see be used in the future.

jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was alright, I guess. I'm not a big fan of Kilowog so I didn't like his story too much (though it was nice to see a bit of his backstory and give him a love interest), but Hal and "Norman" along with the oath business up on the ship was good. And I like that they're laying down the yellow crystal stuff still. Sinestro's a-comin' for sure... next season... maybe.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

Replikon Xum is offline Reporter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awww... the bit where the jellyfish thingie broke the lil-Kilowog-type kid's weapon and handed the non-toxic part back and patted his head... Awwww....

Xum

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode :anime:
    Green Lantern Hal Jordan vs Kilowog fight was also great
    The cheese line was funny XD
    Last edited by HEATXZ; 04-22-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Afalstein is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gonna be honest, I really thought the villagers were going to turn out to be figments of Kilowog's imagination, but looks like they were real. Again with the yellow crystals--that stuff is alarmingly common. I agree it's being built up for Sinestro--the villager's emblem even vaguely reflected their symbol--but it seems like Kilowog and Hal should be already familiar with it if that were the case. Sinestro didn't appear in the pilot so I assume he's gone rogue already, but we haven't even heard about him--which I'd expect if he were being built up. But nothing.

hugo is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For the first time, a GL episode was not satisfying for me.

Too much "forced things", the Razer/Aya thing becomes less and less subtle and Kilowog really acts like a stupid guy. The main plot was too classic, simple and convenient.

Anyway, at least we have a glimpse to Kilowog backstory and a glimpse of glimpse to the Sinestro corps.

I'm sure next week will be far better, given the subject

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest, I didn't really like this episode. The brief "romance" aspect didn't go anywhere, there weren;t any villains, and the Killowog and Hal fight was very underwhelming.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was not too fond of this episode ether. It had filler written all over it. Yes I realize it's not filler, it adds foreshadowing toward the yellow element, and character development for Kilowag and Razar but that's it. The plot was predictable and not very interesting.

jak d ripr is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wasn't a bad episode, but was probably my least favorite so far. There wasn't anything particularly bad about it, there just wasn't too much good about it either, the plot between aya/razer felt kinda pointless(you gotta say this horrible oath, big deal) but it was nice seeing some flashes of kilowogs past in this. I did like the whole "norman" thing, I just found it quite hilarious how hal just named him and went with it.

Shame GL was the worst show of my animation trinity this weekend(GL, young justice, legend of Korra) but the show was due for a less than spectacular episode. Hopefully next week brings it back up to its usual standards.

AlgeaX is offline Oh, hello?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afalstein View Post
    Gonna be honest, I really thought the villagers were going to turn out to be figments of Kilowog's imagination, but looks like they were real. Again with the yellow crystals--that stuff is alarmingly common. I agree it's being built up for Sinestro--the villager's emblem even vaguely reflected their symbol--but it seems like Kilowog and Hal should be already familiar with it if that were the case. Sinestro didn't appear in the pilot so I assume he's gone rogue already, but we haven't even heard about him--which I'd expect if he were being built up. But nothing.
    I suspect Sinestro's already been exiled from the Corps but hasn't found an alternative to the GL Power Ring... yet.

Master Toon is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A bit of a tame and predictable episode, although I didn't expect the villagers to be innocent. I thought they the lady villager was purposely trying to mess with Kilowog but it wasn't that much of a shocker to learn that both sides were innocent.

The part with Aya was kinda dumb. I expected her to give him the same speech but with words that sounded less harsh but she gave him a "kinder" speech. A big facepalm for her.

jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlgeaX View Post
    I suspect Sinestro's already been exiled from the Corps but hasn't found an alternative to the GL Power Ring... yet.
    That sounds likely to me. I can see it in the next season premiere - call from headquarters. "Hal, we've got trouble... Sinestro is back." Razer or Aya or someone asks who he is. Exposition about his betrayal and exile/imprisonment/whatever. He arrives to mess up Oa with fancy new Yellow duds.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

Yojimbo is online now R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not bad. For a second there I thought one of those Nadara was going to be Apros (a GL in the comics).

That was a good poop joke. I like that I can still laugh at that sort of thing gag.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgeaX View Post
    I suspect since they're not really going for straight origins for the more famous characters appearing on this show, yeah Sinestro's probably exiled already or stewing in a Science cell. It would be interesting if say the Red Lanterns invade Oa in the season finale and during the chaos, a couple prisoners get loose...
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 23, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

reflection is online now Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Toon View Post
    A bit of a tame and predictable episode, although I didn't expect the villagers to be innocent. I thought they the lady villager was purposely trying to mess with Kilowog but it wasn't that much of a shocker to learn that both sides were innocent.

The part with Aya was kinda dumb. I expected her to give him the same speech but with words that sounded less harsh but she gave him a "kinder" speech. A big facepalm for her.
    I'm surprised to see people didn't like this episode. I loved it. This show continues to be shockingly good with an amount of depth I truly didn't expect.

Not to pick on you Master Toon, but I found much of the brilliance of this ep to be found in your two points.

First, this episode shows how fear and miscommunication lead to conflict. Fear was derived from the orem and the mute Nadara led to miscommunication. Hal took the time to "listen" to them and understand and he was able to resolve the conflict. Expect this to be a lesson that pays dividends later in the series.

Second, the whole point of that part with Aya was to show that she doesn't understand the complexities faced by organic beings. She thought she could just come up with a similar "melody" to solve the problem. It's deeper than that. This issue was foreshadowed by the seeming ineffectiveness of her food finding device. The matter the device identified may have been completely edible, but it couldn't detect how much work was needed to get to the food nor the need for food to appeal on a base level to the senses. Of course the orem soup and the sugar vines at the end showed that senses can be misleading as well.

I think this will be a continuing development for Aya.

This episode was well done. I like how it has a different style than Young Justice. I'm sure if I ever watched it back to back with Thundercats I'd appreciate the similarities.

Bobbywoodhogan is offline I Will Find Him!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved how Hal and Kilowog were disgusted at each others foods. On the subject I'm glad they addressed the issue of food as I was (sadly I know) thinking how do they have enough food? well here they answered my petty question.

Kilowogs flashback was heartbreaking and I know I've seen something about his past before but I couldn't quite remember.

Those giant jellyfish were gross

The best parts of the episode were between Aya and Razer, really interesting stuff.

So the yellow rocks do more than block a GL's power they mess with their minds too.

Kilowog vs Hal was fantastic the fight scenes in this show get more and more amazing.

It was good to see that the villagers and the jellyfish weren't bad. It was quite refreshing that there was no out and out villain. It also explains why the jellyfish didn't want the villagers using the yellow rocks.

A good episode but probably the weakest one yet but that doesn't mean it was bad. 4 out of 5.
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)

The Dark Lord is offline 54985870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It wasn't quite as amazing as the last several, but it was still good. Nice to see the yellow element make another appearance.

Also, Kilowog's "What exactly is...cheese?" was priceless. XD

W.C.Reaf is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Razer continues to be the most interesting character in the show. Him sitting in a room reciting the Red Lantern oath is a lot better and more compelling than the Star Trek TOS plot we got.

It was a well executed TOS plot, and I'm glad we got more of Kilowog's backstory, but it was fairly predictable and a bit boring. Hal making friends with Norman, and actually having a non-humanoid alien not being a bad guy, were good, but then the Kilowog side brought it back down.

But yeah Razer struggling to recite the oath, seeing how it affects him, how much it pains him, how much he really doesn't want to do it but does so anyway because he has to and if he doesn't then the Red Lanterns could win. That's powerful stuff, that's the making of a deep character. That's the kind of stuff I want to see more of from this series and what could push it into being ore than just an above average cartoon in my eyes.

ndb
    ndb is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely my least favorite episode of the series. Especially the lack of voice actors for the other villagers.

DerekPowers is offline Ruler of Gotham City, 2049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    I'm surprised to see people didn't like this episode. I loved it. This show continues to be shockingly good with an amount of depth I truly didn't expect.
    Agreed. This was one of the best episodes so far, imo.

I think it was very emotional and thought provoking, and the pacing of the episode felt really good. And I like how they are starting to flesh out the emotional spectrum, with the yellow element and the red one.

I liked Kilowag's back story, and his love story. I liked Hal as usual, and Razor and Aya's subplot was really well done and added to the main plot, by underscoring the ties between elements and emotions. Now, I wasn't completely clear: did Aya's oath not work? Seemed like it didn't, unless I'm missing something.

I liked both alien races, and found their designs and stories interesting.

One thing did bother me though: how come all these alien races speak and understand english? I guess it's just one of those things that we need to suspend our disbelief with, but it would have been nice if they somehow established that maybe the lanterns have a way of translating instantly using the ring or some other technology (maybe similar to the 'babel fish' in "The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy").

Anyway, excellent episode, with a lot of nice foreshadowing. I can't wait for next week with the Star Sapphires!!
    I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us, that they speak to us, as part of something greater than us, greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to it speak, it can give us the power to save ourselves.

--Fox Mulder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast