toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Vote For The Best Episode of Justice League

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Once and Future Thing part 2: Time, Warped

3 14.29%
  • The Doomsday Sanction

4 19.05%
  • Epilogue

11 52.38%
  • Flash and Substance

1 4.76%
  • Destroyer

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Okay, so here's the thing about these Best polls that rather bugs me - people feel obligated to certain episodes, especially season or series finales.

Epilogue does not deserve to win a poll of the Best of JL/JLU. Do I think it makes for an interesting Batman story? Okay, fine, maybe. Do I think it's fantastically well structured? No, decidedly not. It hops here and there and feels far too big for its britches, and a fair chunk of people (myself included) couldn't tell if the flashbacks were dream sequences or the dream sequences were flashbacks the first time we saw it. And most importantly - is it a good Justice League story? Well...of course not. It's a Batman Beyond episode of sorts, squished into a JLU episode, with Cadmus tie-up.

I think people opt to vote for it because it's revelatory with regards to Terry, and they know it was meant as a farewell to the DCAU begun with On Leather Wings. Not because it was a terrific episode of Justice League Unlimited that they rewatch and deeply enjoy and continue to learn from or be entertained by.

Destroyer ended up being the other, real epilogue to Justice League Unlimited, and it's a bit of a sentimental one, though definitely less ambitious. We get curtain-calls for the major characters (Darkseid, J'onn, Lex, Superman, Batman, etc, etc) and the minors get nice little moments as well (Giganta, Volcana, etc, etc) and it's all very "Rah, Rah!" I can almost understand why it's well loved as a fun going-away party, but not really as a story that best exemplifies why the series was great. Destroyer is simple and it tries to relive past glory days. It isn't subtle, or emotional (save perhaps for one curtain call in particular) and doesn't give any of the characters much to do that they haven't done before, and better.

I'd rather see some of the glory days get their due. I really like The Doomsday Sanction in terms of its pacing and as a thrill-ride. It's a great Doomsday episode, in that it ties together the character's general history with what was shown in Justice League. It has nice moments with Diana and Milo (!) and great ones with Waller and Batman. But again - is it the best of Justice League? Maybe...

I think it's a real shame Task Force X didn't make it onto these lists. That was an episode I've come back to many, many times for its artistry and approach to telling a story about the League, in a roundabout way. I really hope that as we get down to choosing the final winners, people put some thought into which episodes actually stand up to criticism and work on various levels. Which episodes impressed you more over time? Which ones placed you inside a character's head, or a concept you hadn't considered before? Which ones speak to what the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited shows were actually about?

Answer those questions with your vote.

Dusty is offline Superman.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekPowers
    "The Once and Future Thing Part 2: Time, Warped" is my all time favorite JLU episode, so I voted for that.

I think that episode is simply spectacular and has the most to offer out of all the JLU eps. Great story, great villain, great character development, great action, great animation, lots of great characters, high stakes while remaining character oriented, and ofcourse some nice fan service .

For me, the final scene between Shayara and John in "Starcrossed" was the most tear jerking scene of the series. I actually didn't find the Ace scene in "Epilogue" all that emotional simply because I didn't have much connection to Ace and thought "Wild Cards" was one of the poorer episodes of JL season 2.

It's interesting to see how much love "Epilogue" has accumulated over the years. I remember the initial response to the episode being rather mixed. Most liked it for obvious reasons, but didn't really know how to feel about the major retro-active changing of Batman Beyond. It's too bad the original talkback thread for that episode got lost (right?), because its fun sometimes to go back and see the initial reactions. But I remember it being a real mixture, with many, including myself, having mixed feelings to accompany our joy.
    Yeah we're opposites, lol, as I did not find the Starcrossed scene sad at all. Maybe it's cause I was never a fan of GL/HG... or that I maybe always knew HG would come back or something. Seriously though, Epilogue's Bats/Ace scene was so good cause it showed us a great side of Batman that was not seen very often (if at all)

Ace: "I am dying very soon aren't I?"
    Batman: "Yes."
    Ace: "I'm scared... Would you stay with me?"
    Batman then sits on a swing puts his hand out and stays with her until she dies...

*tears running... down... face.... Don't Look At Me!!!... DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!

Yeah, that scene was "perfect." but to each their own...

D.
    "Good and Great things in life are rarely ever easy... but they are worth it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12