toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Wolf Boy2 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I met Scott McCloud! (Superman Adventures writer)

Like This Thread!

He was speaking at my college, giving a lecture on comics from an academic perspective. After the show, he stayed to sign autographs. DCAU fans will know him as a writer from "Superman Adventures", the STAS tie-in comic in the '90s and early '00s (he's also done some other stuff, like "Understanding Comics"). :P

He was the nicest guy you could meet. I'm a local indie artist, and he actually stayed behind longer to look at my work. Of course he had no idea who I was or if I was even worth his time, but he still asked to see my stuff. Just all around awesome guy.

So anyway, I told him how his "Superman Adventures" were the first comics I ever bought, and how I liked their style and self-contained stories in a period where everything else was Zero Hour crossovers in a Liefeld-esque style that was too edgy for 9-year old me. He agreed, and said how at the time, he and others in the field thought that the DCAU shows were exactly "how Batman and all DC should be" and complimented me for having good taste. He spoke very well of BT and crew, though he was gracious and didn't blast anyone either.

He seemed a little embaressed about the Livewire issue, and he preferred "the one where time ran backwards" (sadly, off-hand I don't remember that one). But he got a hearty laugh and he said that he had always hoped that somewhere out there, that was someone's first comic.

(TECHNICALLY, my first was Paul Dini because he wrote issue #1, but Paul didn't stay on for the rest of the series, where Scott did I think 13 more issues or so).

It was all very awesome, one of the best nights I've had this year.
    "Since God created man, and man
    created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God!"
    --Clerks 2

DisneyBoy is offline Searchin' My Soul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey that's awesome! I've felt lately like the Adventures books haven't been as well remembered in recent years, so it was such a nice surprise to come on the forums and read this little story.

I wonder why he was embarrassed by the Livewire issue...was it because she took such a feminist/man-hating stance in the story, and that differed from her depiction in the series?

You're not alone in having a hard time remembering the story where time runs backwards, Wolf! It sounds familiar, but I honestly can't recall the details.